Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,792 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
BAP Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fullback44 said:

Is it gonna be a dud ? Looks like a normal hurricane with some slight storm surge.. sure aren't seeing 18 ft anywhere as the weather channel is saying …. More 2-3 ft max.. that's normal I would think

Weather channel is embellishing things again..

Well just watched some of these videos …. Looks a little more serious..

Storm surge in some areas is 15+ feet.
Al Bula
AG
Anyone know how fort Jefferson made out? Another poster on the travel board posted Ian went over the dry tortugas.

atmtws
AG
SIAP. Some idiot in his yacht out in the storm.

/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
RebelE91
AG
David Happymountain said:

Anyone know how fort Jefferson made out? Another poster on the travel board posted Ian went over the dry tortugas.

It's survived about 170 years so far. I would be surprised it didn't continue to survive.

1872walker
Qualified captain!
atmtws said:

C@LAg
David Happymountain said:

they are now known as the wet tortugas.
TAMUallen
AG
Models have this going out into Atlantic then hitting Georgia or South Carolina
fullback44
AG
1872walker said:

Qualified captain!
atmtws said:

That dude is qualified … I used to have a 40 ft Boston whaler .. no way in hell I drive it out there in that Surf ..
Teslag
AG
Looks to have gone well west of dry tortugas
BertMacklinFBI
Teslag said:

Looks to have gone well west of dry tortugas

The Weather Channel tracker shows the eye went directly over Fort Jefferson.
FriscoKid
AG

Pool before the surge. That's way more than a couple feet.
Eliminatus
AG
aggiehawg said:

This dude is the real deal. Pretty much the best amateur weather channel there is and IMO, better than most major networks I have found in the past year. I am a closet inclement weather junkie and this dude and Reed Timmer are my heros. I basically use Ryan Hall as my ASMR now.

Gonna buy some merch from Ryan now. He uses his funds to help people in these events.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
1872walker said:

Qualified captain!
atmtws said:

The Collective
AG
From the 4 PM NHC discussion:

Quote:

Catastrophic storm surge inundation of 12 to 18 feet above ground
level along with destructive waves is ongoing along the southwest
Florida coastline from Englewood to Bonita Beach, including
Charlotte Harbor.

They don't put fake news in these reports.
bmks270
AG
NoahAg said:

FriscoKid said:

^^^^
Before the storm surge. This is normal water level.

Seems like a dumb place to choose to live.

Car 4 hurricane hitting the west coast is pretty rare. They may be set up for cat 2 and 3 tops.
aggiehawg
AG
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

The sound of that, wow!

I don't think I'd be in a spot to video that since I enjoy being alive ha!
aggiehawg
AG
As Ron White says,"It's not that the wind is blowing but it is what the wind is blowing."
EKUAg
AG
TAMUallen
AG
Surprised, the storm surge is now hitting Punta Gorda hard now!

Wind gusts well over 100mph bringing in the surge. Ian still looks so powerful and dangerous on the ground

Storm chasers saying that it's worse now than the front of the storm. Clearly it's not the same wind speeds but still gusting/sustained well into hurricane level speeds
aggiehawg
AG
clobby
AG

Flooding might not be as bad in Cape Coral as expected.
aggiehawg
AG
Western side of the eyewall is just as intense, if not more intense than the eastern side. Pushing more storm surge.
C@LAg
clobby said:

Flooding might not be as bad in Cape Coral as expected.
wonder if that whole area being so damn flat helps spread the surge out so it does not build too high.
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

Western side of the eyewall is just as intense, if not more intense than the eastern side. Pushing more storm surge.

Just said widespread 110mph with stronger gusts. That's much more than I expected
The Collective
AG
aggiehawg said:

Western eyewall was quite strong all day and seemed more organized this morning for sure. I was curious to see it get over land.

Being such a large, slow moving hurricane - I'm guessing the water is just piling up.
aggiehawg
AG
Re-posting Ryan's feed as the western side of the eyewall comes in. He as multiple storm chasers checking in with video.

Not a Bot
AG
It hurts that it's not moving very fast. Big chunks of Naples are underwater now.

Haven't scroll back but I'm sure it's been linked, Ryan Hall YouTube channel has multiple storm chasers on the ground.
aggiehawg
AG
Just linked it again for the evening crowd.
TAMUallen
AG
There's so much more rain coming down with the strong winds and surge on the west side of the storm
fullback44
AG
Look, I understand storm surge, I own a beach house in Port A and went through 10 ft of storm surge and 135 mph winds during Harvey… yes 8-10 ft storm surge is bad, many old houses in downtown Port A were done, they got whipped out, but most of the modern new homes built to code did more than fine, I lost all my fences, the pool was under 2 - 3 foot of water and the trash line was 1 foot from the garage, we had a giant mound of seaweed we had to move out of the yard just to put the fences back up.. it was bad, but it wasn't catastrophic, bad yes, they lost old buildings and houses yes… my modern home built to modern code lost 6 shingles, that's it. There was water damage to alot of low level Homes in town ( all the new Home owners called it the "purging" Port A needed, clean up all the old junky places ). It was bad but nothing relatively close to a hurricane with real 15-20 foot seaside storm surge

Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing comes even remoteLy close to what Hurricane Ike did to Boilvar Peninsula. I had friends with modern Homes, built to modern code, some just a few years old…the 18-20 ft storm surge removed them from their slabs. They were gone, nothing left, washed out into the ocean. One of my customers had a brand new 3500 sqr ft house on 15 ft piers with a pool, when they went back they had to look up the street to figure out where their house once was, it was a slab with the pool filled with sand bareLy noticeable…. That's what a real 15-20 ft seaside storm surge does, it removes houses from the slab and there's nothing left.

This is why I have a problem with services like the Weather Channel overly spreading fear.. all hurricanes are bad and terrible, they cause billions in damages, but a true 20 ft storm surge you don't live through, your house is gone. From all the pics and vid's coming out so far I am not seeing this … that's all I am saying … these guys spread unnecessary fear to get views.

I'm not down playing this is a bad storm ,.. 12 foot of surge about what we got in Port A… that's about max to what I'm seeing so far

RGLAG85
AG
aggiehawg said:

Thank you!
Irish 2.0
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

I didn't realize that Ryan Hall actually has his own storm chasers driving Ryan Hall Yall branded vehicles. No wonder his YouTube is top notch!
aggiehawg
AG
TAMUallen said:

There's so much more rain coming down with the strong winds and surge on the west side of the storm
Still a Cat 4. Moving only at 8 MPH. Sustained winds 130.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.