Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,799 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
Owlagdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People who live on a coast always bounce back, pain in the ass, but you live with it and the reason you pay the big bucks for insurance there. Those big homes are not owned by dumbasses, but risk takers who love it. Hurricane hasnt hit that area in 100 years. Pretty good risk.
MouthBQ98
AG
Definitely a bad one. Looks like it didn't have the storm surge of Ike or Katrina or the titanic rain dump of Harvey, but Florida is flat and water takes a long time to move out of the interior, so the flooding from rain will be pretty bad in addition to the storm surge damage.
Martin Q. Blank
aggiehawg said:

Who was the piling contractor??
Psycho Bunny
By the looks of it, possibly an Aggie.
I will sell my vote for a plate of tacos and chile con queso

Q: What do you call a bad lawyer? A: Senator.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Owlagdad said:

People who live on a coast always bounce back, pain in the ass, but you live with it and the reason you pay the big bucks for insurance there. Those big homes are not owned by dumbasses, but risk takers who love it. Hurricane hasnt hit that area in 100 years. Pretty good risk.

My mother's friends in Rockport already had plans drawn up for the "next house" if the current one blew away. You have to be sanguine about this possibility if you live there.

Yes it is heartbreaking when your little slice of heaven gets damaged, but if you dont have an evac plan, and you live 500ft from a sandy beach, I dont even know what to say.

I do hope they can recover because it was a darling community. They will emerge stronger.
Rapier108
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TAMUallen
AG
Rapier108 said:

That took no time at all. Back over water and bam already hurricane
TAMUallen
AG
At 500 PM EDT (2100 UTC), the center of Hurricane Ian was located
near latitude 29.3 North, longitude 79.9 West. Ian is moving toward
the north-northeast near 10 mph (17 km/h). A turn toward the
north is expected tonight, followed by a turn toward the
north-northwest with an increase in forward speed Friday night. On
the forecast track, Ian will approach the coast of South Carolina on
Friday. The center will move farther inland across the Carolinas
Friday night and Saturday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 mph (120 km/h)
with higher gusts. Ian could slightly strengthen before landfall
tomorrow, and is forecast to rapidly weaken over the southeastern
United States late Friday into Saturday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the
center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 415
miles (665 km). Kennedy Space Center Tower 1 recently reported a
wind gust to 89 mph (145 km/h).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 986 mb (29.12 inches).
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

That took no time at all. Back over water and bam already hurricane
Water still warm and apparently the atmospherics were favorable
The Collective
AG
Taking in that sweet, sweet jet stream fuel.
dermdoc
AG
Smuckett, you okay?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiehawg
AG
dermdoc said:

Smuckett, you okay?
Sarasota was not that badly hit but still power is out for roughly 70%. No power, no internet and no cell phone service, most likely.

Fingers crossed and prayers lifted.
TyHolden
AG
Only in Florida....

aggiehawg
AG
Not sure all of those guys survived. One was repeatedly slammed into the concrete piers.
Psycho Bunny
aggiehawg said:

Not sure all of those guys survived. One was repeatedly slammed into the concrete piers.
Two words. Florida Man.
I will sell my vote for a plate of tacos and chile con queso

Q: What do you call a bad lawyer? A: Senator.
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

Looks like you can see it happen. The amount of force and speed that those waves have are mind blowing.
aggiehawg
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

aggiehawg said:

Two words. Florida Man.
I wasn't watching that particular feed when those guys appeared and went into swim but saw all of the comments afterwards from people watching the feed. First time I actually saw it.

Have had two near drowning experiences with getting hit by a very large wave. None involved a hurricane nor a concrete pier, just getting flattened upon the sea floor and having the breath knocked out of me. Once in Acapulco the other in Hawaii.

The Pacific is just not my gig.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Darwin awards candidates.
redcrayon
AG
No. This happens everywhere. Have you ever seen the surfers during a hurricane? People are the same all over.
HollywoodBQ
AG
aggiehawg said:

Psycho Bunny said:

aggiehawg said:

Two words. Florida Man.
I wasn't watching that particular feed when those guys appeared and went into swim but saw all of the comments afterwards from people watching the feed. First time I actually saw it.

Have had two near drowning experiences with getting hit by a very large wave. None involved a hurricane nor a concrete pier, just getting flattened upon the sea floor and having the breath knocked out of me. Once in Acapulco the other in Hawaii.

The Pacific is just not my gig.
You would have loved Saudi Arabia.
The waves there were so non-existent, they'd be measured in inches.

In Australia, I did have a situation body surfing where I got pummeled into the sand on the bottom. Yeah, definitely no fun.
TyHolden
AG
redcrayon said:

No. This happens everywhere. Have you ever seen the surfers during a hurricane? People are the same all over.
One of them died? I didn't see anything saying that.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In Australia, I did have a situation body surfing where I got pummeled into the sand on the bottom. Yeah, definitely no fun.
Want to gasp, soo badly but you can't. Rolling over and trying to get above water, depends on the interim between waves.

In Hawaii I was over a coral reef. Multiple cuts.
ShinerAggie
AG
Owlagdad said:

Not to quibble, but didn't category 4 Hurricane Charley land there in 2004?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley
________________________________________________________ "Citizens are deceived en masse but enlightened one at a time."
LeonardSkinner
ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Yeah. Went down there from Tampa to help out because my college roommate's parents lived in Port Charlotte at the time.

They moved away for several years, and moved back a couple of years ago.

And were in the thick of it again.
Rapier108
Media current talking points:

"Death troll is continuing to rise!" (Current at 4)
"There is no official death troll from the governor's office!"
Biden says this will be the deadliest hurricane in Florida history. (Labor Day hurricane says hello.)
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
aggiehawg
AG
ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

And because Charlie, the entire storm fit inside just the eye of Ian?

Did you really miss that part???
C@LAg
Rapier108 said:

Media current talking points:

"Death troll is continuing to rise!" (Current at 4)
"There is no official death troll from the governor's office!"
Biden says this will be the deadliest hurricane in Florida history. (Labor Day hurricane says hello.)
still less than a Chicago weekend and due to mother nature, not democrat policies and voters.
LeonardSkinner
aggiehawg said:

ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Size doesn't always correlate with intensity.
ShinerAggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Seemed to me the post was discussing storm intensity risk, not overall size. Maybe I missed something, but I think the fact that the same exact area experienced TWO category 4 storms within an 18 year timeframe negates the point about that area not having been hit for 100 years. Now, if the comment was about the Tampa area, then I admit I misunderstood and the comment is correct.
________________________________________________________ "Citizens are deceived en masse but enlightened one at a time."
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Now, if the comment was about the Tampa area, then I admit I misunderstood and the comment is correct.
We are good then.
ShinerAggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Now, if the comment was about the Tampa area, then I admit I misunderstood and the comment is correct.
We are good then.

Alright, so now I'm confused. LOL. Was the comment about The Tampa area or the Punta Gorda area? haha
bmks270
AG
ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Quote:

"Hurricane Charley was the first of four separate hurricanes to impact or strike Florida during 2004, along with Frances, Ivan and Jeanne, as well as one of the strongest hurricanes ever to strike the United States. It was the third named storm, the second hurricane, and the second major hurricane of the 2004 Atlantic hurricane season. "

Charley stands out in the minds of Floridians, Irma will, and so will this storm Ian especially.

After the 2004 season with 3 storms crossing the state (charley the worst), there was almost 15 years with few or only weak storms.

Central Florida has never flooded like this before though, the flooding is pretty insane with Ian. Even Beach towns on the East Coast flooded when this storm made landfall on the west coast. It was a huge storm with far more rain fall than an average hurricane.

Floridians bounce back from these storms quickly. It's just a part of life. Why some idiots stay behind on these coastal islands or evacuation zones nobody knows. Even Floridians consider them idiots. 99.9% of people evacuate these areas while a handful of morons refuse to leave.
HollywoodBQ
AG
bmks270 said:

After the 2004 season with 3 storms crossing the state (charley the worst), there was almost 15 years with few or only weak storms.
2004 I was working in the Data Center at the House of Mouse on the Studio Lot in Burbank and our Disaster Recovery site was the theme park in Orlando.

In 2005, they started looking for a third site for DR that wasn't prone to Earthquakes or Hurricanes.
Owlagdad
ShinerAggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

We are good then.

Alright, so now I'm confused. LOL. Was the comment about The Tampa area or the Punta Gorda area? haha

I did mean Tampa area. I should have been more specific
Smeghead4761
ShinerAggie said:

Owlagdad said:

If memory serves, Ian seems to be following a very similar track. I was in Columbia, SC in 2004 and remember getting hit by Charley (TS by that point), close on the heels of Bonnie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.