Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,776 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fullback44 said:

Is it gonna be a dud ? Looks like a normal hurricane with some slight storm surge.. sure aren't seeing 18 ft anywhere as the weather channel is saying …. More 2-3 ft max.. that's normal I would think

Weather channel is embellishing things again..

Well just watched some of these videos …. Looks a little more serious..
Not sure if serious
Charpie
AG
Not really. The storm is big and moving relatively slow. The real danger here will be surge and flooding from all of the rain. Think Harvey
Aggie95
AG
Just not true. The videos and other channels reporting the same. This will leave devastating destruction in its path.
The Collective
AG
Well done.
fooz
Those huge cranes that were shown earlier today have started to fall.

BQ_90
AG
fullback44 said:

Is it gonna be a dud ? Looks like a normal hurricane with some slight storm surge.. sure aren't seeing 18 ft anywhere as the weather channel is saying …. More 2-3 ft max.. that's normal I would think

Weather channel is embellishing things again

turn that off and watch this.

They have shown plenty of house washed away, flooding up to roof tops. They just showed fire station in Naples with 4' water and all the equipment/trucks flooded out. And that wasn't even on the water.
fullback44
AG
The Collective said:

Well done.
I knew I would get some reply's .. but I seriously am not seeing 18 ft anywhere .. maybe 5-6 foot surge.

When that big one hit Boliver they had real 15-18 ft surge
titan
S

Has the hurricane picked up a little speed of movement? What you don't want it to do is be very slow moving or even "stall" over one place like Hurricane Havey did and just inundate on and on with rainfall.
Irish 2.0

Fort Meyers will need to be completely rebuilt. It is destroyed
Irish 2.0
TAMUallen
AG
fullback44 said:

The Collective said:

Well done.
I knew I would get some reply's .. but I seriously am not seeing 18 ft anywhere .. maybe 5-6 foot surge.

Stop trolling.

If this had gone just a bit farther north, like forecast, then the surge that hit Fort myers and naples would have been pushed into bay up to Punta Gorda and the surge would have been *even more* disastrous
BQ_90
AG
reports of several high rise cranes collapsing in Port Charlotte
clobby
AG
Might be a fake. Don't know why they would leave chairs on the beach before a hurricane.
TAMUallen
AG
titan said:

Has the hurricane picked up a little speed of movement? What you don't want it to do is be very slow moving or even "stall" over one place like Hurricane Havey did and just inundate on and on with rainfall.

It's still slow as can be. Freshwater flooding is going to be the next story
Charpie
AG
These are the same people who refused to evacuate.

People, in general, are idiots.
fooz
BQ_90 said:

fullback44 said:

Weather channel is embellishing things again

turn that off and watch this.

They have shown plenty of house washed away, flooding up to roof tops. They just showed fire station in Naples with 4' water and all the equipment/trucks flooded out. And that wasn't even on the water.

Had to turn him off, got annoying. Ryan Hall Yall is still going strong though, and better coverage imo.

eta: If you're like my wife and asking "who is that kid??" lol he's a 24 year old meteorologist, just looks very young.
Irish 2.0
fooz
Spotted some "blue sheds".

Charpie
AG
I remember watching the blue shed when Harvey hit Rockport. That video was epic
Irish 2.0
C@LAg
Irish 2.0 said:

Not Florida, but images of some of the aftermath from Ian in Cuba

several comments under the post say those are photos from other storms.
Irish 2.0
Gotcha. Took it down. Didn't read the comments

Faustus
fullback44 said:

Weather channel is embellishing things again..

Well just watched some of these videos …. Looks a little more serious..
Hearkens back to Ag79 of Websider days of yore.
fooz
Charpie said:

I remember watching the blue shed when Harvey hit Rockport. That video was epic

That thing didn't budge.
fullback44
AG
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=6431739460186464&id=100000514225496&set=a.104074452953028&source=57&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

At least this weather channel lady came prepared with a condom!
fooz
fullback44 said:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=6431739460186464&id=100000514225496&set=a.104074452953028&source=57&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

Here ya go

FireAg
AG
fullback44 said:

The Collective said:

Well done.

Any water at the roofline of a 1-story home is at least 8', assuming no property elevation from the street level. So if you assume ~1' of elevation between street and slab (and for the sake of argument, let's say the slab is perfectly flush with the soil...which they usually aren't), then you are looking at about 9' of storm surge at a minimum...

Now if any of these homes we have seen on camera right at the coast are elevated (and I would bet several of them probably are), then the storm surge is probably closer to 12' at a minimum...

Not sure if it will make 18', but I think close to 13'-15' is probably happening in some of the videos posted on Twitter...18' won't shock me when this is all said and done...
titan
S
TAMUallen said:

titan said:

It's still slow as can be. Freshwater flooding is going to be the next story
Ugh. That's what didn't want to hear.
aggiehawg
AG
The Collective
AG
Gives the mic a more natural feel.
Rapier108
fooz said:

fullback44 said:

Here ya go

Actually a very old trick.

Soldiers back during WWI and ever since have used them to keep sand, mud, or whatever else out of the end of the barrel.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
wbt5845
AG
Ha
fooz
Irish 2.0 said:

More footage.

fullback44
AG
Thank you.. and it looks like she's practicing on it
wbt5845
AG
Rangers spring training used to be in Port Charlotte.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.