Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,016 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.
C@LAg
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.
just wait.

the libs will decide we need wireless charging for cars, just like we have for phones.

all the while irradiating everyone's reproductive plumbing.,

Teslag
AG
A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.
BrazosDog02
AG
But even if the car dies, the wheels can still be steered and therefore my F350 can carefully place the ranch hand on the rear glass and push it off the road, yes?
JohnLA762
AG
Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

Well if you are not moving, it doesn't matter if you can go 1,000,000 hours before needing a charge…
Sarge 91
AG
Teslag said:

So what if you are moving at 5 mph? Now run those numbers. How many hours can you sustain that pace?
DallasAg 94
JohnLA762 said:

Teslag said:

Well if you are not moving, it doesn't matter if you can go 1,000,000 hours before needing a charge…
He'll just shelter in his Tesla with the AC on, I suppose.
Teslag
AG
If you aren't moving at all in two days you could just run the AC periodically through the day and extend your charge for even longer. The car uses nothing just sitting there. With 300 mile range going 10 or 40 miles on evac would be a non-issue.
TAMU1990
AG
Teslag said:

Except you are moving. Just real slow. And I hope these people charge up before they hit the road.

Have you evacuated before? Most people are going almost 100 miles away. It all depends on if you have family somewhere after 50-60 miles or where you can get a hotel.
JohnLA762
AG
Teslag said:

If you aren't moving at all in two days you could just run the AC periodically through the day and extend your charge for even longer. The car uses nothing just sitting there. With 300 mile range going 10 or 40 miles on evac would be a non-issue.

Then keep your ****ing ass at home!
JohnLA762
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Teslag said:

Then keep your ****ing ass at home!

Also, why don't you floor it and then slam on the breaks. That will constantly charge it and it could run for eternity, right?!?
Teslag
AG
Sarge 91 said:

Teslag said:

So what if you are moving at 5 mph? Now run those numbers. How many hours can you sustain that pace?

At 5mph you'd be at your destination in two to ten hours according to the OP's example (10 to 50 miles). EV's power consumption is purely based on power expended. Slower speed slower depletion. And at slow stop and go driving the car is more efficient due to regenerative braking.
Manhattan
TAMU1990 said:

Teslag said:

Except you are moving. Just real slow. And I hope these people charge up before they hit the road.

Have you evacuated before? Most people are going almost 100 miles away. It all depends on if you have family somewhere after 50-60 miles or where you can get a hotel.

Stop and go uses very little energy due to regen..
FCBlitz
Let's look at the Rita Hurricane Model. Folks spent 8 hours, burned 3/4 of a tank and turned around and returned back to their houses because they had only traveled 20 miles.

I would love to Calc out the amount of power required to drive an AC in 102 deg heat with a full load and pulling a trailer. I seriously doubt a TESLA can idle and push an AC for 48 hrs in humid/hi heat conditions.

Manhattan
Trailer? Probably 100 miles and AC at keep you alive temp. Or just abandon your trailer like the guy did in the other thread.
Teslag
AG
Teslas don't idle. They are either delivering power to the motors or not. If it's only using AC it's using 1.2 to 1.6 kWh of power. Do the math with an 82kwh battery.
TAMU1990
AG
I guess when you add in what normal people would do (load up everything valuable, things you need to be away from your house, pets, kids, etc) that changes the calculus. We have all seen articles where EVs can't go long when there's more than a driver in the car (or adding a trailer).
JohnLA762
AG
Teslag said:

Teslas don't idle. They are either delivering power to the motors or not. If it's only using AC it's using 1.2 to 1.6 kWh of power. Do the math with an 82kwh battery.

Teslag said:

You should tell Teslag that… oh wait…
C@LAg
wait until I perfect my mini-localized EMP device.

Going to spend all my time pissing off the EV drivers. As well as everyone else with computers running their cars while i cruise by in my XJ Wrangler.
The Collective
AG
It might be better, honestly. During Harvey - there were effing gas shortages in the metroplex. WTF people.
Teslag
AG
So now every evacuee is pulling a 10,000 pound utility trailer. My favorite thing about EV threads is the ridiculous amount of goal post moving there is because no one takes the time to actually research EV's.
Teslag
AG
C@LAg said:

wait until I perfect my mini-localized EMP device.

Going to spend all my time pissing off the EV drivers. As well as everyone else with computers running their cars while i cruise by in my XJ Wrangler.

So basically everyone with a car made after the late 70's?

2:00 minute mark
C@LAg

Thank you captain obvious..

Hence why i stated "with a computer" and mentioned my XJ wrangler.

aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

So now every evacuee is pulling a 10,000 pound utility trailer. My favorite thing about EV threads is the ridiculous amount of goal post moving there is because no one takes the time to actually research EV's.
We really don't have to research much...after the laws of thermodynamics.

Repeal those and you have a case.
oneeyedag
Folks stranded last winter in Fredericksburg, VA. Found out real quick that EVs are junk in storms.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

We really don't have to research much...after the laws of thermodynamics.

Repeal those and you have a case.

It's a math problem. Kwh capacity divided by kWh use.
TAMU1990
AG
Teslag said:

No, just a normal trailer. Some people do pull trailers to park at their destination to live in until they can go back. I can tell you have never evacuated. And most people will not be in a Tesla.
Teslag
AG
oneeyedag said:

Folks stranded last winter in Fredericksburg, VA. Found out real quick that EVs are junk in storms.

A Tesla driver in that storm made it through with power to spare

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/traffic-snowstorm-electric-car/
CSTXAg92
AG
Teslag said:

Dude, have you ever seen the traffic jam out of the gulf coast during an evacuation? It can last for days. Litterally.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

But compared to ICE refueling versus charging time, that math does not work during evacuations.

I will grant you that when the electricity goes down, neither is moving if they are "out."
C@LAg
you are arguing with a truther.

save your breath.
Fins Up!
AG
EVs are a scam.
Teslag
AG

Picture from Rita evac. Internet is full of them. Barely a trailer in site.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

But compared to ICE refueling versus charging time, that math does not work during evacuations.

I will grant you that when the electricity goes down, neither is moving if they are "out."

Unlike the ice car the Tesla is drawing no power at "idle"
Teslag
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Teslag said:

Dude, have you ever seen the traffic jam out of the gulf coast during an evacuation? It can last for days. Litterally.

And so can the Tesla.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.