Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,027 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigRobSA said:

MemphisAg1 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

BigRobSA said:

Manhattan said:

Teslag said:

Define very cold environment

And very cold environments are already wired for engine block heaters.

Lived in Alaska and Iowa. Neither had that set-up.

New York doesn't get "real cold", either. Y'all freaked the **** out over "super storm Sandy", aka "a day that ends in Y" in Iowa.
Want to know something hilarious BigRob.

When we lived in Valdez and would travel to Anchorage, I was fascinated by the engine block heaters in the public parking lot near our hotel.

I couldn't figure out why people were plugging their cars in. They weren't electric so what was the electricity for.

Anyway, I can confirm that plug-ins for engine block heaters were common in Anchorage in the mid-1970s.
Yeah we had 'em in Minnesota and the UP of Michigan when I lived there in the early 00's.

My company Explorer was wired for an engine block heater, and I would plug it in every night.

My wife's car (from TX) did not, so I opened her hood every night and hung a shop light with a 100 watt incandescent bulb to keep the engine just warm enough (like zero degrees) that it would start when she would take the boys to school in the morning.

Was in MSP first half of last year. None that I saw at any of our properties.
We had them in Sartell, just west of MSP a bit. But yeah, it was much more common NOT to have them.
BigRobSA
Teslag said:

In those temps (-10) you'll lose about 30% of your normal range

Meh. Tarded cold kills ICE too.
tk for tu juan
Battery Size comparison:
iPhone 13 Pro Max: 16.75 Wh
Tesla Model 3 Std Range: around 57,000 Wh usable

How much data would you have to stream to drain 3,400 iphone batteries in a week?
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Define very cold environment
North United States and Canada during winter.

Prowler needs a jump.
LINK

Give me numbers? 30 degrees at night? 10? What's you're specific situation?
Stop being obtuse.

I live in Texas now. But I have lived in very old places before. Northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado aroind Pagosa Springs and Connecticut.

How far below zero degrees F do you need to make another false claim?
Teslag
AG
BigRob gave me a number and I gave him a percentage lost in that temp. You could have easily done the same.

What false claim have I made? I have been extremely polite to you and answered all your questions. There's no need to accuse me of lying.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Kind of hard to discharge a battery when you aren't using it
Really? Put your car battery on concrete for a week and see what happens. Own a golf cart with batteries and don't drive it for a few weeks. See what happens.

Very different battery types with different chemistries. Lithium batteries self discharge at very slow rates compared to lead acid. Left sitting for a month, a lithium battery would only lose about 8% of its initial charge. 2% per month after.

The fact you don't know this is not surprising, though, as it comes from the same person who doesn't understand how a volt meter works.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

BigRob gave me a number and I gave him a percentage lost in that temp. You could have easily done the same.

What false claim have I made? I have been extremely polite to you and answered all your questions. There's no need to accuse me of lying.
That was not was I doing. i asked about very cold weather. You deflected about which temps I was asking about.

So I answered. I am not picking a fight here, I just don't understand how you are so confident in an unproven and unstressed technology. Real world. Everywhere.

Does it work reliably? If not, then back to the drawing board.
Coates
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

That was not was I doing. i asked about very cold weather. You deflected about which temps I was asking about.

So I answered. I am not picking a fight here, I just don't understand how you are so confident in an unproven and unstressed technology. Real world. Everywhere.

You are using vague terms, 'very cold' to my mexican mother in law is 75, to my parents from Clevelend it's negative temps.

He also gave a specific example at a specific temperature.

Ev's are not for you. They aren't marketed for you. Not one penguin or polar bear will die if you don't buy one. Move on.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

I asked about specific temps because the number matters. The range decrease by temperature is non-linear so it's imperative to know what you mean by "very cold". There's very little range loss at 32 degrees, which in Florida would easily be "very cold". It wouldnt be for someone in Minnesota. That's why the number is important.

And "work reliably" can be very different for many different people.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

"Very cold," and "Northern United States and Canada," are very vague. That's like saying, "How much air conditioner do I need for my house? It's kind of big." "How many square feet are we talking?" "Stop being a moron. I said it's big. How can you not tell me an answer?"

Maine, Washington State, Michigan, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc all have different climates and fit your descriptions.
aggiehawg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

"Very cold," and "Northern United States and Canada," are very vague. That's like saying, "How much air conditioner do I need for my house? It's kind of big." "How many square feet are we talking?" "Stop being a moron. I said it's big. How can you not tell me an answer?"

Maine, Washington State, Michigan, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc all have different climates and fit your descriptions.
Stop being dumb. Negative temperatures can happen all over the US during severe winter events.

Austin December 1989. Four degrees? For a few days? Lower than that around the inside of the city?

SOOOO, 4 degrees fine with EVs? Answer for a 48 hour period of time, no electricity.

Now.
Teslag
AG
Yes I would be fine for a couple days at -4 with no electricity. I could make my 70 mile commute both days in that.
Coates
aggiehawg said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Stop being dumb. Negative temperatures can happen all over the US during severe winter events.

Austin December 1989. Four degrees? For a few days? Lower than that around the inside of the city?

SOOOO, 4 degrees fine with EVs? Answer for a 48 hour period of time, no electricity.

Now.

Wow
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
By page 9 you gotta have some fun

I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

Yes I would be fine for a couple days at -4 with no electricity. I could make my 70 mile commute both days in that.
Why? I do not understand. How does that work?
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Why? I do not understand. How does that work?

My vehicle range is 300 miles. I'd suffer about a 20 to 30% range hit at -4 reducing me to 210 miles. 2x70=140. I'd have 70 miles to spare.
Coates
PlaneCrashGuy said:

By page 9 you gotta have some fun

And getting worse!
Teslag
AG
Ya at this point I don't even know what she's trying to argue.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggiehawg said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Now.

Stop being dumb? YOU'RE the one asking about, "Very cold," and "Northern United States and Canada," when asked for specifics. Last time I checked, Austin wasn't in either. I guess we can add maps and geography to the list of things you don't understand.

Teslag asked for something specific. It only took you like 5 posts to get there. Talk about obtuse...
tk for tu juan
-4 degrees for 48 hours and no electricity? I'm not worrying about driving. Probably would divide the battery pack into little pieces to burn each day
ABATTBQ11
AG
Teslag said:

Ya at this point I don't even know what she's trying to argue.

She doesn't either...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.