Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,024 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fullback44 said:

eric76 said:

aggiehawg said:

Imagine if there were any hills and mountains along the route.
This doesn't surprise me, over stating what an EV truck can do, Unless your a city dweller these will never last and people won't want them… 90 miles of electricity used to go 30 miles… what a joke

As I have stated, in 10 years these Evs will prob be gone
I think that they can work in limited cases, but they are not "the one true answer".
Manhattan
https://www.reddit.com/r/KiaEV6/comments/xr3qt0/using_ev6s_v2l_to_power_the_essentials_during/
TexasAggiesWin
S
Manhattan said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KiaEV6/comments/xr3qt0/using_ev6s_v2l_to_power_the_essentials_during/
Sure is an expensive a$$ generator
one MEEN Ag
AG
This is always such a weird discussion. So many strong opinions and so many fanboy/tesla hater takes.

Teslas work great if you're commuting locally. They are constrained but manageable if you need to go on long road trips. Supercharger stations are great when they are empty, but suck when suddenly everyone needs to charge up and its 20-30 minutes a person. Which is what I expect if everyone in a whole region has roughly the same type of electric car with the same range and there are only a few options on the highway to charge up at.

Supercharger stations do have the added benefit of they don't run out of electricity like a gas station can be overwhelmed with no chance of refueling.

In slow moving traffic, teslas do a good job just eeking out enough energy to run the AC and battery cooling if its summer time and you're stuck on the highway. A lot harder to deal with a stranded tesla than a stranded gas/diesel powered car.

For evacuation efforts a tesla is a suboptimal option. The best option is a big SUV with extra gas cans. Not everyone has that capability and you evacuate in the car you have. There's an ethos with electric cars that you don't need to overbuy range because 'you just don't use it fully.' But even just having that capacity has immense value. I don't drive my truck from F to E every time I get in the car, but when I do need to for whatever reason it sure is nice to be able to go 400 miles in one shot

1876er
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.
Dude, have you ever seen the traffic jam out of the gulf coast during an evacuation? It can last for days. Litterally.
You smart guys have a short memory.
Gas powered cars ran out of gas on I10/290/45. A lot of people said F it and turned around. There were gas shortages all over the state.

ICE engines failed in Rita/Ike. With an EV, you can charge your car at home right up until you evacuate. Don't have to worry about gas runs. Also, if you're evacuating, you're probably not drive 75-80 mph. At 20-30 mph, and in stop and go traffic, you get a lot of regenerative breaking, much less drag resistance, which leads to a longer range.

Superchargers likely would have had long lines, but almost all of them not directly on the gulf coast would have had electrons moving. Gas stations were completely dry with no way to get gas to them. Did Waller, Huntsville, or Sealy lose power in Ike? You wouldn't have to travel far to get a charger that was powered.

Rita was such a disaster that a lot of people who should have evacuated for Ike just said it isn't worth it and stayed.
KidDoc
AG
The real problem is charging at your destination. If you happen to be near a supercharger then no issue, but they are still pretty scarce.

(Owned a Tesla 2012-2020)

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cbr
AG
1876er said:

CSTXAg92 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.
Dude, have you ever seen the traffic jam out of the gulf coast during an evacuation? It can last for days. Litterally.
You smart guys have a short memory.
Gas powered cars ran out of gas on I10/290/45. A lot of people said F it and turned around. There were gas shortages all over the state.

ICE engines failed in Rita/Ike. With an EV, you can charge your car at home right up until you evacuate. Don't have to worry about gas runs. Also, if you're evacuating, you're probably not drive 75-80 mph. At 20-30 mph, and in stop and go traffic, you get a lot of regenerative breaking, much less drag resistance, which leads to a longer range.

Superchargers likely would have had long lines, but almost all of them not directly on the gulf coast would have had electrons moving. Gas stations were completely dry with no way to get gas to them. Did Waller, Huntsville, or Sealy lose power in Ike? You wouldn't have to travel far to get a charger that was powered.

Rita was such a disaster that a lot of people who should have evacuated for Ike just said it isn't worth it and stayed.

that's pretty severe whataboutism. yes, perhaps, if you and a few hundred people max drive EV's, you can probably free ride on the real economy and charge as well as ICE can refuel. But any more than that and it's fantasy.

i keep 500 gallons of diesel at all times. if i had to evacuate, i'd make it nearly 8000 miles before i ran out of fuel. if i ran out of anything else, i could sell fuel.

i may be an outlier, but any idiot in a honda and 2 5 galllon cans should make 1000 miles.

further, you can truck fuel in anywhere. from anywhere. from thousands of sources. you can't truck electrons anywhere, unless you are also trucking a generator and fuel, which is a huge energy and cost deficit.
1876er
AG
KidDoc said:

The real problem is charging at your destination. If you happen to be near a supercharger then no issue, but they are still pretty scarce.

That seems like a tertiary issue. The most important thing is you got to your destination. Once you get there, you can hook up to 110VAC. Sure, it will take 2 days to get a full charge, but you're probably not going home for more than 2 days anyways, or you could just hook it up to 110 and charge it halfway so you can get to a supercharger. Also, all homes have 220VAC for dryers. If necessary, you could tap into the dryer outlet and charge much faster and wake up to a fully charged car.

Remember, in this scenario, gas stations all probably have no gas and the ones that do have long lines.

IndividualFreedom
What about after the hurricane when the power is out for 2 weeks?
Manhattan
See the Reddit post I linked, local CCS charger is still up.
Teslag
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Won't gas stations also not have power? Or be out of fuel?
1876er
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Presumably you evacuated to somewhere that didn't lose power, or at least had minimal damage so power would be restored quickly. College Station never lost power during Rita. I lived in Midland during Ike, so I don't know how far the outages went.

It really doesn't even matter at that point. At least you were able to evacuate and get somewhere safer. You probably don't need to drive much once you get to your destination.
Teslag
AG
I would probably try to get to a camp ground or state park with 50amp power and use the Tesla camping mode
CSTXAg92
AG
Manhattan said:

"….to reduce the storm's impact on your travel plans."

Tesla knows storms will impact EVs.

@ TeslAg - When are your send Elon a note to tell him he's wrong and the message needs to be corrected???
Teslag
AG
They didn't say anything about it impacting EV's
UTExan
Teslag said:

They didn't say anything about it impacting EV's

Can you mount a roof rack to pack additional battery packs, as when trucks carry extra jerrycans of fuel?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BigRobSA
Teslag said:

I would probably try to get to a camp ground or state park with 50amp power and use the Tesla camping mode

Electrically made s'mores.

1876er
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Manhattan said:

"….to reduce the storm's impact on your travel plans."

Tesla knows storms will impact EVs.

@ TeslAg - When are your send Elon a note to tell him he's wrong and the message needs to be corrected???
Uh nobody said it wouldn't impact EVs. The implication was that an EV would be useless, and ICE would not be impacted. We actually have a fairly recent case study that shows ICE engines failed miserably.

I don't even own an EV, but some of you are are so irrational.
KidDoc
AG
1876er said:

KidDoc said:

That seems like a tertiary issue. The most important thing is you got to your destination. Once you get there, you can hook up to 110VAC. Sure, it will take 2 days to get a full charge, but you're probably not going home for more than 2 days anyways, or you could just hook it up to 110 and charge it halfway so you can get to a supercharger. Also, all homes have 220VAC for dryers. If necessary, you could tap into the dryer outlet and charge much faster and wake up to a fully charged car.

Remember, in this scenario, gas stations all probably have no gas and the ones that do have long lines.

I used a dryer outlet at a rental house I had when we were moving and it does work well. However you have to have the adapter and the (rather expensive) extension cord for that to work which I'm willing to bet the vast majority of EV owners do not have. 110VAC is really slow as you already mentioned so I hope you are staying somewhere that you can leave it plugged in for a few days and not move it. If you are evac'ing to a hotel good luck with that. I took my model S from College Station to Marksville LA one time hoping to plug in some at a hotel there and it didn't work out. Luckily my uncle had a welding outlet in his barn so I got some charge off of that so I could make it back to the Alexandria super charger.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Our watts per mile consumption in our Y varies very little wether it's the driver alone or our whole family plus luggage. This data is available instantaneously as you drive the vehicle.
Grid is down. How are you getting the information?
Holy **** this is embarrassing.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Well this was an entertaining read to catch up on. As usual in EV threads, I learned a thing or two about EV's from TeslAg. The irony of 7 pages of noise in here is that if you were going to spend 9 hours doing the first 50 miles of your 200 mile drive in stop and go traffic, you'd probably want an EV because of the regenerative braking and minimal power consumption at idle.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
Manhattan
PlaneCrashGuy said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

Our watts per mile consumption in our Y varies very little wether it's the driver alone or our whole family plus luggage. This data is available instantaneously as you drive the vehicle.

How does your gas gauge work if the grid is down?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Manhattan said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

aggiehawg said:

Teslag said:

How does your gas gauge work if the grid is down?
I belly laughed at this one

Manhattan
This reminds me I should probably throw a 120V extension cord in my car for emergencies, I left my 50A in Houston with a friend
eric76
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

The best option is a big SUV with extra gas cans. Not everyone has that capability and you evacuate in the car you have.
The best option would probably be a King Air with a full load of fuel.

You won't find much stop and go traffic at 35,000 feet.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
eric76 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

The best option is a big SUV with extra gas cans. Not everyone has that capability and you evacuate in the car you have.
The best option would probably be a King Air with a full load of fuel.

You won't find much stop and go traffic at 35,000 feet.

No thanks, I'm not interested. I'm sure you can understand.

ABATTBQ11
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.

Kind of hard to discharge a battery when you aren't using it. If anything, you have this backwards. Gas powered vehicles stuck in slow traffic will idle and inefficiently burn fuel as they crawl. An EV only uses as much power as it needs when it's moving and isn't "idling" anything beyond maybe the air conditioner and computers/control units.
UTExan
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Well this was an entertaining read to catch up on. As usual in EV threads, I learned a thing or two about EV's from TeslAg. The irony of 7 pages of noise in here is that if you were going to spend 9 hours doing the first 50 miles of your 200 mile drive in stop and go traffic, you'd probably want an EV because of the regenerative braking and minimal power consumption at idle.

Unless you need AC or heat.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
UTExan said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ask me how I know you didn't read the thread.

JohnLA762
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

UTExan said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Ask me how I know you didn't read the thread.

How do you know I didn't read the thread?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Kind of hard to discharge a battery when you aren't using it
Really? Put your car battery on concrete for a week and see what happens. Own a golf cart with batteries and don't drive it for a few weeks. See what happens.
Teslag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Kind of hard to discharge a battery when you aren't using it
Really? Put your car battery on concrete for a week and see what happens. Own a golf cart with batteries and don't drive it for a few weeks. See what happens.

The batteries you cite are lead acid. They will discharge during non use. This is not nearly an issue with lithium based batteries. I parked my Tesla at the airport, came back a week later and the battery had barely lost any charge.
aggiehawg
AG
Now I am really confused. My Apple cell phone doesn't have a lithium battery? Because I very seldom use the damn thing but the battery goes dead anyway.
Teslag
AG
Your phone is running a lot of background apps, processes, and connection features at all times. So you get a lot of drain. Teslas don't do much when parked. You will still get some "vampire drain" but it's about 1% to 3% per day.
aggiehawg
AG
Teslag said:

Your phone is running a lot of background apps, processes, and connection features at all times. So you get a lot of drain. Teslas don't do much when parked. You will still get some "vampire drain" but it's about 1% to 3% per day.
My phone is "off" most of the time.

And are you really claiming that my freakin' cell phone is in communication withsoooo many apps and thus draning battery life and a Tesla or other EV is not? No apps?

Really?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.