Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,034 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
kag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Your point is moot. Don't you know that if we all drive EVs there wouldn't be anymore hurricanes? Global warming….
Teslag
AG
geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You guys really don't even try anymore.

You need to drive to Galveston as a cat 5 approaches and prove your point. Oh and wait until the traffic stacks up. Don't forget to bring an extra battery for your phone.

Emotional arguments are fun.
geoag58
AG
Teslag said:

geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

A Tesla uses 1.6kwh of power to run the AC while not moving. That means the typical Tesla will be able to idle in traffic for approximately 45 hours before needing a charge.

You need to drive to Galveston as a cat 5 approaches and prove your point. Oh and wait until the traffic stacks up. Don't forget to bring an extra battery for your phone.

And talk is cheap.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Teslag
AG
geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

And talk is cheap.

But numbers and power use is not. If the EV has the battery capacity to support the power draw then it works. No amount of emotionally flailing will change that.
Rockdoc
AG
Salute the Tesla! (Not)
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

Salute the Tesla! (Not)

Stimulating, hard hitting analysis, with great information and explanations of battery life and power use.
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

Salute the Tesla! (Not)

Stimulating, hard hitting analysis, with great information and explanations of battery life and power use.

Thank you mr. Tesla salesman.
TheEternalPessimist
Teslag said:

Teslas don't idle. They are either delivering power to the motors or not. If it's only using AC it's using 1.2 to 1.6 kWh of power. Do the math with an 82kwh battery.
I don't give a crap what you say.

I want a combustion engine and that's that.

So get your government out of my car hood.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
TheEternalPessimist
Rockdoc said:

Salute the Tesla! (Not)
I'm too busy still Saluting the Vaccines. eh.... Marines....
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
Teslag
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

Teslag said:

Teslas don't idle. They are either delivering power to the motors or not. If it's only using AC it's using 1.2 to 1.6 kWh of power. Do the math with an 82kwh battery.
I don't give a crap what you say.

I want a combustion engine and that's that.

So get your government out of my car hood.

You should have that option. There should be no laws against ICE vehicles nor should there be tax credits for EV's.
oneeyedag
Dan Kanninen puff piece since he worked for the EPA. Of course out the hundreds stranded, Dan the "policy" expert and Senior advisor for Hillary and Obama is the only person to speak out. Of course, he didn't have anything to gain by touting his Teslas' cold winter prowess, or did he?
Manhattan
AustinScubaAg said:

Manhattan said:

TAMU1990 said:

Teslag said:

Except you are moving. Just real slow. And I hope these people charge up before they hit the road.

Have you evacuated before? Most people are going almost 100 miles away. It all depends on if you have family somewhere after 50-60 miles or where you can get a hotel.

Stop and go uses very little energy due to regen..
I guess you don't understand physics any better than Economics. The energy need to take a car from 0 to 1 Mph is greater than the energy needed to maintain 1Mph. Even Tesla on their own web page says stop and go traffic reduces battery life.
and it also takes more energy to stop, and that goes back into the battery.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The problem will be the return trip after the power goes out for three weeks.
Manhattan
Funky Winkerbean said:

Evacuating in the path of the storm, excellent idea!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You are scary ignorant.
BigRobSA
C@LAg said:

Thank you captain obvious..

Hence why i stated "with a computer" and mentioned my XJ wrangler.

The "EMPs will kill all new cars" myth has been debunked, very recently too.

Now...a Tesla or Volt, etc. ? No idea.
Manhattan
Funky Winkerbean said:

Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You are scary ignorant.
We have examples of gas cars out of gas, and gas stations out of gas (all over the state), we don't have any examples of power outages out of the path of the storm...
JohnLA762
AG
Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You are scary ignorant.
We have examples of gas cars out of gas, and gas stations out of gas (all over the state), we don't have any examples of power outages out of the path of the storm...

No, we have examples of power outages/strains during normal summer temps. A natural disaster will only exacerbate the problem.

Idk why we don't just put sails on top of our cars and use the wind to push the cars down the road…
Manhattan
Or everyone not evacuating can plug in and be a net exporter to the grid....
JohnLA762
AG
Manhattan said:

Or everyone not evacuating can plug in and be a net exporter to the grid....

You mean the grid that cannot handle distributing power during cold/hot spells. Got it! Sounds like a plan to me!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
I think Ag08 just exposed you as never having evacuated for a hurricane.

10 miles ain't an evacuation.

10 miles is an example. 100-200 miles is the real requirement.
Manhattan
200 miles and 30 hours, especially at low speeds is trivial in almost any Tesla.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.

a hybrid however would probably be perfect. EVs arent ready for mainstream and wont be for another decade or more. hybrids make way more sense in terms of total range on a full tank and MPG.
Teslag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
I think Ag08 just exposed you as never having evacuated for a hurricane.

10 miles ain't an evacuation.

10 miles is an example. 100-200 miles is the real requirement.

And 100 to 200 miles at slow speeds is nothing in a Tesla
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

I've been hoping to use this for a few days.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
annie88
AG
FCBlitz said:

Let's look at the Rita Hurricane Model. Folks spent 8 hours, burned 3/4 of a tank and turned around and returned back to their houses because they had only traveled 20 miles.

I would love to Calc out the amount of power required to drive an AC in 102 deg heat with a full load and pulling a trailer. I seriously doubt a TESLA can idle and push an AC for 48 hrs in humid/hi heat conditions.

In 2005 it took us nine hours to get from West Houston to college station. Then the regular time to get from college station up to McKinney, about 3 hours, where we were going to stay with my brother. (I was still living at Houston at the time, have lived in college station then Bryan since 2006)

I seriously doubt the starting and stopping and idling would've made it in an electric car.
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
Not bad
TAMU1990
AG
Teslag said:

Picture from Rita evac. Internet is full of them. Barely a trailer in site.
You do realize that the evac was for 20+ miles and that's what? 1/4-1/3 of a mile?
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

geoag58 said:

Teslag said:

And talk is cheap.

But numbers and power use is not. If the EV has the battery capacity to support the power draw then it works. No amount of emotionally flailing will change that.
And how long would it take you to charge at the station if there's a backup of say 20 cars? And I don't know how the charging stations work but if the electricity goes out will they still charge?
Fight Fight Fight.
redcrayon
AG
Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

How the eff do you afford a Tesla when you can't even read?

Oh, yeah, "sleep apnea."
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

Not bad
He makes the silliest jokes on his thread but they usually make me laugh.
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
annie88 said:

FCBlitz said:

Let's look at the Rita Hurricane Model. Folks spent 8 hours, burned 3/4 of a tank and turned around and returned back to their houses because they had only traveled 20 miles.

I would love to Calc out the amount of power required to drive an AC in 102 deg heat with a full load and pulling a trailer. I seriously doubt a TESLA can idle and push an AC for 48 hrs in humid/hi heat conditions.

In 2005 it took us nine hours to get from West Houston to college station. Then the regular time to get from college station up to McKinney, about 3 hours, where we were going to stay with my brother. (I was still living at Houston at the time, have lived in college station then Bryan since 2006)

I seriously doubt the starting and stopping and idling would've made it in an electric car.

EV's don't idle. The motors are using power or they are not.
torrid
AG
Teslas are great for evacuations because you can nap while it drives itself.
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

annie88 said:

FCBlitz said:

EV's don't idle. The motors are using power or they are not.
And the starting and stopping and sitting in traffic doesn't affect the charge?
Fight Fight Fight.
Rockdoc
AG
torrid said:

Teslas are great for evacuations because you can nap while it drives itself.

And while it cooks your breakfast. Great technology.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.