Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,037 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
No one is evacuating 10 miles. 50-100 miles maybe if you have family north where you need to be. If you don't (like having to go to Dallas to get to family), you have to drive through it. Hotels are all booked along the way. My brother had to evacuate 350 miles to get away from Katrina. Why? No hotels.

BTW - he had 9 feet of water in his house.
Teslag
AG
annie88 said:

Teslag said:

annie88 said:

FCBlitz said:

Let's look at the Rita Hurricane Model. Folks spent 8 hours, burned 3/4 of a tank and turned around and returned back to their houses because they had only traveled 20 miles.

I would love to Calc out the amount of power required to drive an AC in 102 deg heat with a full load and pulling a trailer. I seriously doubt a TESLA can idle and push an AC for 48 hrs in humid/hi heat conditions.

In 2005 it took us nine hours to get from West Houston to college station. Then the regular time to get from college station up to McKinney, about 3 hours, where we were going to stay with my brother. (I was still living at Houston at the time, have lived in college station then Bryan since 2006)

I seriously doubt the starting and stopping and idling would've made it in an electric car.

EV's don't idle. The motors are using power or they are not.
And the starting and stopping and sitting in traffic doesn't affect the charge?

The starting and stopping is just power draw on the motor when the accelerator pedal is pressed. When you begin the stop you lift off the pedal and it will recharge the battery as the cars momentum movies forward. You rarely use the brakes because of this. Power use is mostly a function if distance not time. Sitting still you'll use 1.2 to 1.6 kWh with the AC on. Turn it off and you basically use nothing sitting in traffic.
samsal75
AG
Florida may have to deal with this issue in a few days???
Teslag
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
No one is evacuating 10 miles. 50-100 miles maybe if you have family north where you need to be. If you don't (like having to go to Dallas to get to family), you have to drive through it. Hotels are all booked along the way. My brother had to evacuate 350 to get away from Katrina. Why? No hotels.

Then take it up with the OP. This is his thread. Oh wait, your the OP. Move those goalposts.
Manhattan
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.

I still can't get over the "visual of this is a nightmare" that is something that actually happened, that was entirely gas cars.
10Aggie10
AG
To be fair to OP, he didn't say he was traveling 10-50 miles to final destination. He said that the traffic was backed up 10-50 miles. So when evacuating, you are barely moving for 10-50 miles and Then you drive to wherever you're going
annie88
AG
Teslag said:

annie88 said:

Teslag said:

annie88 said:

FCBlitz said:

Let's look at the Rita Hurricane Model. Folks spent 8 hours, burned 3/4 of a tank and turned around and returned back to their houses because they had only traveled 20 miles.

I would love to Calc out the amount of power required to drive an AC in 102 deg heat with a full load and pulling a trailer. I seriously doubt a TESLA can idle and push an AC for 48 hrs in humid/hi heat conditions.

In 2005 it took us nine hours to get from West Houston to college station. Then the regular time to get from college station up to McKinney, about 3 hours, where we were going to stay with my brother. (I was still living at Houston at the time, have lived in college station then Bryan since 2006)

I seriously doubt the starting and stopping and idling would've made it in an electric car.

The starting and stopping is just power draw on the motor when the accelerator pedal is pressed. When you begin the stop you lift off the pedal and it will recharge the battery as the cars momentum movies forward. You rarely use the brakes because of this. Power use is mostly a function if distance not time. Sitting still you'll use 1.2 to 1.6 kWh with the AC on. Turn it off and you basically use nothing sitting in traffic.
That's interesting to know. But again when it took us nine hours to get from west Houston to college station. You sit there maybe move up like for a minute then sit there another five then move up for like a half a minute and then sit there for another 10. It could still sustain in that? Doesn't the turning on and off wear down the battery?
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Rockdoc
AG
Do you own a Tesla?
Manhattan
2022 Model 3 Long Range.
Rockdoc
AG
Great. Maybe you and teslag cans have a mutual admiration party. Biden would be proud.
Teslag
AG
annie88 said:

Teslag said:

annie88 said:

Teslag said:

annie88 said:

FCBlitz said:

That's interesting to know. But again when it took us nine hours to get from west Houston to college station. You sit there maybe move up like for a minute then sit there another five then move up for like a half a minute and then sit there for another 10. It could still sustain in that? Doesn't the turning on and off wear down the battery?

Yes, it would be no issue. It's just an electrical circuit. If you aren't moving it's not on. When I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic like that I usually just turn on autopilot and let the car drive for me. I set it to allow two car lengths ahead of me, turn on a podcast, and zone out.
annie88
AG
OK.

Now, is this true?

Quote:

Question: do the devotees of electric vehicles understand that about 90% of the power generated to "charge" electric cars comes from oil or natural gas?
Fight Fight Fight.
Teslag
AG
10Aggie10 said:

To be fair to OP, he didn't say he was traveling 10-50 miles to final destination. He said that the traffic was backed up 10-50 miles. So when evacuating, you are barely moving for 10-50 miles and Then you drive to wherever you're going

Then there's no problem. I could make it 275 miles or so under those conditions on a full charge.
Gunny456
AG
Same here.
I don't have anything against the damn things but politicians and marketing gurus need to quit forcing them like if you don't own one you should be put on trial for earth rape.
And quit subsidizing them with tax payer dollars and making it unaffordable for folks who can't use one to have to pay through the nose for fossil fuel energy.
TAMU1990
AG
10Aggie10 said:

Correct. The later you leave the longer the backup.

But it's obvious Tesla Ag has never had to evacuate. I used the Houston (Rita) example and there were deaths on the highway from people in cars breaking down in the heat. Not just running out of gas. There's a reason the #1 disaster for evacuating is Houston - 4 million in the metro area.

I also gave him the real life example of the Katrina's evacuation. Closest family for my brother out of NOLA was Texas. He went north and it took approx 350 miles away from NOLA to get a hotel. No hotels along the route. He was shocked that it took that far away from the coast to get a place to stay.
Teslag
AG
annie88 said:

OK.

Now, is this true?

Quote:

Question: do the devotees of electric vehicles understand that about 90% of the power generated to "charge" electric cars comes from oil or natural gas?

Probably. It could be 100% and I'd be fine with it.
Gunny456
AG
Annie.... don't you know.... that's just for now...only until we cover the earth with windmills and solar farms and destroy millions of rural acres running transmission lines and clear cutting every tree to make room for such.... but it's going green!!
Don't you see????
Teslag
AG
TAMU1990 said:

10Aggie10 said:

Correct. The later you leave the longer the backup.

But it's obvious Telsa Ag has never had to evacuate. I used the Houston (Rita) example and there were deaths on the highway from people in cars breaking down in the heat. Not just running out of gas. There's a reason the #1 disaster for evacuating is Houston - 4 million in the metro area.

I also gave him the real life example of the Katrina's evacuation. Closest family for my brother out of NOLA was Texas. He went north and it took approx 350 miles away from NOLA to get a hotel. No hotels along the route. He was shocked that it took that far away from the coast to get a place to stay.

I grew up and spent my summers in the Florida Keys. I was staying with my Grandmother in Homestead during Andrew. Don't make assumptions about people.
Rockdoc
AG
Gunny456 said:

Same here.
I don't have anything against the damn things but politicians and marketing gurus need to quit forcing them like if you don't own one you should be put on trial for earth rape.
And quit subsidizing them with tax payer dollars and making it unaffordable for folks who can't use one to have to pay through the nose for fossil fuel energy.

Exactly. Nobody likes having this EV **** pushed down their throats any more than somebody pushing the vaccine **** down your throat. I don't see any other car owners preaching like this. You enjoy your car? Great. We don't need to hear the sales job.
AgBandsman
AG
Teslag said:

Teslas don't idle. They are either delivering power to the motors or not. If it's only using AC it's using 1.2 to 1.6 kWh of power. Do the math with an 82kwh battery.

How much kwh is a set of 10 year old batteries that no longer holds a charge for a full tank and would be $25,000 to replace with a fresh set of 82kwh batteries?
AgBandsman
AG
Rockdoc said:

Gunny456 said:

Same here.

Exactly. Nobody likes having this EV **** pushed down their throats any more than somebody pushing the vaccine **** down your throat. I don't see any other car owners preaching like this. You enjoy your car? Great. We don't need to hear the sales job.

The only people that like EV are the ones dumb enough to have already bought one and proudly display it in their username.
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

Gunny456 said:

Same here.

It's an EV thread. If you dont like it then move along.
Rockdoc
AG
AgBandsman said:

Rockdoc said:

Gunny456 said:

Same here.

The only people that like EV are the ones dumb enough to have already bought one and proudly display it in their username.

I guess it's a form of self validation.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
EVangelicals
lead
Realistically, when you evacuate you get it whichever vehicle can fit all your family and crap. And all things being equal, you choose the one with 4WD so you can get back when everything is tore up. So it's probably not gonna be the EV.

(And weight absolutely matters…)
HumbleAg04
AG
Weird how someone's entire online persona is defined by a brand comes blindly to the defense of said brand.

Quick brag about how fast they are now also.
Teslag
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Weird how someone's entire online persona is defined by a brand comes blindly to the defense of said brand.

Quick brag about how fast they are now also.

Informative post full of hard hitting facts, battery capacity and power draw information, etc. Brilliant addition to the thread.
TAMU1990
AG
I'm watching a news story right now on batteries catching fire and it takes 6 months to 1 year for warranty work. The volt has a recall because of the battery fire risk, but since Chevy can't get the batteries due to supply chain issues, Chevy sent out a software fix to limit the charge to 80%. They will keep lowering the charge percentage to prevent spontaneous battery fires.
Teslag
AG
That story is a year old
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
C@LAg said:

just wait.

the libs will decide we need wireless charging for cars, just like we have for phones.

all the while irradiating everyone's reproductive plumbing.,

Let me guess, "safe, effective and free"?!
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Mr President Elect
AG
The ev haters on this thread are ridiculous with all the goal post moving. So we are now evacuating 100 miles non stop traffic with no charging available and then another 200 miles with still no charging available. Oh yeah and it's in a blizzard while pulling a 10,000lb trailer. Got it.
Rockdoc
AG
TAMU1990 said:

I'm watching a news story right now on batteries catching fire and it takes 6 months to 1 year for warranty work. The volt has a recall because of the battery fire risk, but since Chevy can't get the batteries due to supply chain issues, Chevy sent out a software fix to limit the charge to 80%. They will keep lowering the charge percentage to prevent spontaneous battery fires.

Saw a report from a couple of days ago about people facing staggering battery replacement charges. Around $25K I think. Very unhappy owners.
Mr President Elect
AG
As someone who drives a diesel, I am actually curious how the newer diesels will do with the exhaust filter? I do a lot of city driving and my "drive at highway speed notification" comes on quite a bit.
Gunny456
AG
And it's costing us tax payers literally millions to train and equip fire departments to fight lithium auto accidents..... and the Feds are subsidizing that cost as well.
Another well kept secret.
annie88
AG
Gunny456 said:

Same here.
This is where I stand. I don't want one and I never want one and I think it's ridiculous that these states are trying to act like this is going to become the norm when it's not at all sustainable at this point. They are actually trying to ban gas cars. This is insane, there's nothing wrong with fossil fuels and there's nothing wrong with gas and oil and coal. Man-made climate change does not exist. All this virtue signaling does nothing.
Fight Fight Fight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.