Interesting Point on EVs and Evacuating

17,032 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As usual....spot on. Thank you.
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

I'm watching a news story right now on batteries catching fire and it takes 6 months to 1 year for warranty work. The volt has a recall because of the battery fire risk, but since Chevy can't get the batteries due to supply chain issues, Chevy sent out a software fix to limit the charge to 80%. They will keep lowering the charge percentage to prevent spontaneous battery fires.

Saw a report from a couple of days ago about people facing staggering battery replacement charges. Around $25K I think. Very unhappy owners.

Luckily the design life is 300k to 500k miles and we are seeing real world vehicles now hitting that mark.
Teslag
AG
annie88 said:

Gunny456 said:

Same here.
I don't have anything against the damn things but politicians and marketing gurus need to quit forcing them like if you don't own one you should be put on trial for earth rape.
And quit subsidizing them with tax payer dollars and making it unaffordable for folks who can't use one to have to pay through the nose for fossil fuel energy.
This is where I stand. I don't want one and I never want one and I think it's ridiculous that these states are trying to act like this is going to become the norm when it's not at all sustainable at this point. They are actually trying to ban gas cars. This is insane, there's nothing wrong with fossil fuels and there's nothing wrong with gas and oil and coal. Man-made climate change does not exist. All this virtue signaling does nothing.

I agree with most of this post and you're spot on.
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

I'm watching a news story right now on batteries catching fire and it takes 6 months to 1 year for warranty work. The volt has a recall because of the battery fire risk, but since Chevy can't get the batteries due to supply chain issues, Chevy sent out a software fix to limit the charge to 80%. They will keep lowering the charge percentage to prevent spontaneous battery fires.

Saw a report from a couple of days ago about people facing staggering battery replacement charges. Around $25K I think. Very unhappy owners.

Luckily the design life is 300k to 500k miles and we are seeing real world vehicles now hitting that mark.

Still don't think that's a bargain. But keep on preaching.
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

Then an EV isn't for you.
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

I'm free to talk them down as you are to talk them up. See how that works? Same as the vaccine.
torrid
AG
But what happens if you drive your EV into high water? Won't you get electrocuted?
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

I'm free to talk them down as you are to talk them up. See how that works? Same as the vaccine.

I have repeatedly said they aren't right for most people. Yet you still have this weird obsession.
Rockdoc
AG
Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

Teslag said:

Rockdoc said:

TAMU1990 said:

I have repeatedly said they aren't right for most people. Yet you still have this weird obsession.

I'm not pushing EV's or vaccines.
richardag
TAMU1990 said:

Anyone who has lived on the coast knows how HORRIBLE it is to drive out of Houston area when a hurricane approaches. Can you imagine EVs in this 10-50 mile traffic backup trying to get out of town and breaking down? Running out of a battery charge because it takes 10 hours to go 10 miles? Just the visual of this is a nightmare.
Well the solution is obvious:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/electriccar-jpg.1100715/

Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
richardag
Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Manhattan said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

The problem will be the return trip after the power goes out for three weeks.
Evacuating in the path of the storm, excellent idea!
You are scary ignorant.
We have examples of gas cars out of gas, and gas stations out of gas (all over the state), we don't have any examples of power outages out of the path of the storm...
My mother was without power in central florida for a couple of weeks due to hurricane damage. You don't even try .
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
richardag
Manhattan said:

Or everyone not evacuating can plug in and be a net exporter to the grid....
Not if the damn power lines are down. You don't think before you post at all do you.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Teslag said:

Ag_of_08 said:

It took my grandmother and mother driving from beaumont, to near Dallas, then back to college station and over 30hrs on the road during Rita.

40hrs at idle is great.... now do 30hrs with a several hundred mile drive.

I dont think you've ever been in a hurricane evac, much less a two week stint living on an accidental island with no power...

So we have now moved the goal post from the OP's 10 to 50 miles to several hundred miles.
I think Ag08 just exposed you as never having evacuated for a hurricane.

10 miles ain't an evacuation.

10 miles is an example. 100-200 miles is the real requirement.

And 100 to 200 miles at slow speeds is nothing in a Tesla
If you want to move the goalposts, let's try Earthquake Evac.

Still can't do LA to Vegas without a recharge in Barstow or Baker.

or so my Tesla driving friends tell me.

I've done 9 hours LA to Vegas in my Ford Expedition without having to refuel on a Wednesday before Thanksgiving. No fun at all.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Manhattan said:

2022 Model 3 Long Range.
Which is important to note because most Teslas on the road are not this model.
If you're in a 2012 Model S with a 40 KWh battery, good luck.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/2012_model_s_specifications_and_features.pdf

If we extend the argument beyond Tesla we find many EVs are like the BMW i3 or the Fiat e500 with a range of 80-90 miles on a good day.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

I grew up and spent my summers in the Florida Keys. I was staying with my Grandmother in Homestead during Andrew. Don't make assumptions about people.
So Florida is what about 400 miles South to North?
No problem in an EV, I'm sure.
Teslag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Manhattan said:

2022 Model 3 Long Range.
Which is important to note because most Teslas on the road are not this model.
If you're in a 2012 Model S with a 40 KWh battery, good luck.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/2012_model_s_specifications_and_features.pdf

If we extend the argument beyond Tesla we find many EVs are like the BMW i3 or the Fiat e500 with a range of 80-90 miles on a good day.

Tesla sold 2,650 Model S vehicles in 2012. The Model 3 surpassed 1 million units sold over a year ago. The 3 and Y (based on the same platform) are by far the most common Teslas on the road.
Gunny456
AG
They can drive over water don't you know? If they had wings they could fly. They are perfect....their batteries are perfect.... their warranties are perfect.
They are going to save the world!
Manhattan
richardag said:

Manhattan said:

Not if the damn power lines are down. You don't think before you post at all do you.

Get a transfer switch, power your house…. And I said out of the path of the storm, if you evacuate out of the path of the storm, the power lines aren't down. If you ride it out then you have 300mi to drive until they turn the power back on…. Or you can charge somewhere where the power has already been restored.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Manhattan said:

richardag said:

Manhattan said:

Get a transfer switch, power your house…. And I said out of the path of the storm, if you evacuate out of the path of the storm, the power lines aren't down. If you ride it out then you have 300mi to drive until they turn the power back on…. Or you can charge somewhere where the power has already been restored.

I dont know if I recall a poster continually so wrong on so many topics. Just continually spewing absolute nonsense from topic to topic. You have the art off bull **** mastered.
Eliminatus
AG
It's like someone read a pamphlet and is now trying to extrapolate all kinds of BS from it.

Can't even be mad at it. This stuff is hilarious.
Teslag
AG
Gunny456 said:

They can drive over water don't you know? If they had wings they could fly. They are perfect....their batteries are perfect.... their warranties are perfect.

Perfect? Far from it. Suitable for many? Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with admitting that.
Rockdoc
AG
Gunny456 said:

When he had a different user name, this particular poster pushed the vaccine to the point where he alienated the entire board and had to change user names. Now he is doing the same with Tesla's for whatever personal reason. Kind of makes you wonder what's next with the next name change.
DrEvazanPhD
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Manhattan said:

richardag said:

Manhattan said:

I dont know if I recall a poster continually so wrong on so many topics. Just continually spewing absolute nonsense from topic to topic. You have the art off bull **** mastered.
Lot Y II
Howdy Dammit
AG
I hope I never have to own an EV in my life. But Teslag just shredded some bs talking points.
Gunny456
AG
Maybe the person makes his living by selling them. Maybe he/she work on commission or something. However lots of folks on Tex Ags sell different services or products for a living..... but I can never recall few, if any, that name their services or products on Tex Ags unless they have sponsor status. I have always felt, wrong or not, that that would be kinda not right.... to push your products on a Tex Ag forum.
And I don't see a person putting forth so much time and effort pushing something just because they own one or like it.
Hell, I like Kawasaki atv's.... but I don't spend half my time posting on Tex Ags about them.
Just my opinion..... and like b holes ....everybody has one.
Teslag
AG
Yep, there are actually a lot of valid reasons to not own an EV. You may have to routinely travel long distances. You may have own a boat/rv or regularly tow a trailer. You may not have access to 240v power (think apartment/condo). You need more size. You may not like the way they look. You may like something cheaper or used with a lot of miles. You may not like their environmental impact due to lithium mining. You may just like the way a V8 sounds. All of these are valid reasons to not own an EV. However, there's just a lot of ignorance, outdated info, or just plain wrong stuff posted about them. That's alI I really comment on.
Teslag
AG
Gunny456 said:

Maybe the person makes his living by selling them. Maybe he/she work on commission or something. However lots of folks on Tex Ags sell different services or products for a living..... but I can never recall few, if any, that name their services or products on Tex Ags unless they have sponsor status. I have always felt, wrong or not, that that would be kinda not right.... to push your products on a Tex Ag forum.
And I don't see a person putting forth so much time and effort pushing something just because they own one or like it.
Hell, I like Kawasaki atv's.... but I don't spend half my time posting on Tex Ags about them.
Just my opinion..... and like b holes ....everybody has one.

Tesla doesn't have sales people. Tesla doesn't advertise. They don't need to. When you visit a retail center they have people there that answer questions or allow you to test drive (though this is contactless too now). Anything regarding purchasing, finance, etc is handled online or through the app. My entire purchase experience was handled via the website and app. I even paid for the car with a combination of Apple Pay and a Tesla's banking transfer app. I showed up to take delivery, talked to no one, and used the iphone app to unlock my car and drive off.

Traditional dealerships and sales people are trash. I hope I never have to deal with them again.
Fenrir
Sounding like a paid shill while arguing a company doesn't need advertising is a truly impressive feat.
Rockdoc
AG
Fenrir said:

Sounding like a paid shill while arguing a company doesn't need advertising is a truly impressive feat.

Never forget: Safe and effective.
geoag58
AG
When they are caught in a flood what is the kill radius as the battery shorts out?
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Teslag
AG
The battery and drive trains are water tight. YouTube is full of videos of Teslas being submerged and still functioning. Again, most of this info is easily found with a simple google search.
Deputy Travis Junior
The idea that the country can dump fossil fuels and put everybody in an EV in 10-15 years is a destructive liberal fantasy, but EVs are still fine options for a lot of people. Most of the country lives < 30 miles from work and never tows *****
Teslag
AG
Rockdoc said:

Fenrir said:

Never forget: Safe and effective.

More fantastic analysis and factual information. Just a brilliant poster who brings a lot of value. Everyone is blessed to have your EV points and info posted so they can form a well researched opinion.
El Chupacabra
Rita 2005. Houston to Abilene, about 350 miles house to house, normally a 5.5-6 hour drive. Took 20 hours. Had a 2004 F250 diesel, topped off the tank on the way out...idle speeds about the first 180 miles, finally had open road and finished the last 180 miles in 3 hours. I didn't plan on leaving, but my then GF (now wife) was leaving one way or another, and I wasn't going to let her go in her 94 Camry. The next hurricane (Ike) we stayed in Houston, that was exciting, but I wasn't sitting in that sh**show traffic again.
Teslag
AG
Yikes, to go 350 miles I'd have to stop and charge somewhere for 10 minutes or so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.