***The Office - Season 4***

40,130 Views | 700 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
Bobcat06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
There were some great lines, but I thought this episode had too much relationship stuff. Michael & Jan, PB&J, and Dwight & the tight ass Christian Chick. It's episodes like this that make me worry this show might be about to jump the shark.

People who don't even know Angela's name are complaining about the show "jumping the shark". Honestly?
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
Watching it again this afternoon I burst out laughing at Kevin's very obscure reference of "Women be shopping" from Chapelle's character in the Nutty Professor as Kevin tries to get a fist bump from Stanley, who ignores him.

I didn't catch that reference, nor would I have ever caught it, nice work. I did get a good laugh out of that line.

That's what I love about this show. If you watch it a second time, you'll find several more laughs that you missed out on the first time. Sometimes they're minor throw-away jokes that are funnier than the best jokes on some other shows, and sometimes they're obscure references like this one (or the implied reference to Dwight's family being Nazis a couple of weeks ago), but it's amazing how many laughs and witticisms the writers can jam into one episode.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
quote:
It's episodes like this that make me worry this show might be about to jump the shark.

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA...

Must have missed my harangue earlier in the thread. You're so cool!!! "Jump the shark"... you people have no freaking clue.
20ag07
I hate the term "jump the shark". It was clever to a point, but when every show jumps the shark on an every-other-week basis, it becomes beyond annyoing. Do the majority of shows jump the shark at some point? Absolutely they do. But it is completely obvious when it happens and there is a general consensus that it did.

If you are the only person claiming an episode jumped the shark, probably you are just a dumbass. Nothing that happpened last night was anymore outrageous than every episode of the show so far.
AustinAg2K
quote:
People who don't even know Angela's name are complaining about the show "jumping the shark". Honestly?

You're a dumbass. I know Angela's name. I also know that Roy refers to her as "the tight ass Christian Chick" when playing "Who would you do." Just as an FYI for you, PB&J is not a reference to the sandwhich.

quote:
Nothing that happpened last night was anymore outrageous than every episode of the show so far.

I didn't say the episode was outrageous. I said it was too focused on relationships. In the early episodes they only allude to Jim and Pam. Relationships weren't a part of the show. Now they are being a major point. Many a sitcom have gone wrong by forgetting that they aren't soap opera's.
tske87
Tomorrow night!

"Ryan started the fire! It was always burnin', since the world was turnin'!"
Goose
AG
quote:
Many a sitcom have gone wrong by forgetting that they aren't soap opera's.

So true.
20ag07
Fair enough... but if anything, I think they have done a great job of laying off Pam and Jim this season and letting them be together, but it not be a big deal.

The last scene of the last episode also looks like Dwight will be returning to normal this week too.

If anything, it is yet another pitfall of the hour long episode. We complain when they run the gags too far into the ground (Michael driving into the lake), so romantic storylines almost seems like the only other place for them to go to fill time.
piag94
AG
i've been watching the past seasons on TBS lately and there is NO comparasion to the quality. I've actually stopped watching vs. really looking forward to it.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
You're a dumbass. I know Angela's name. I also know that Roy refers to her as "the tight ass Christian Chick" when playing "Who would you do." Just as an FYI for you, PB&J is not a reference to the sandwhich.

Excuse me for not immediately assuming you were referencing an obscure line from an episode more than two years old. Instad, I assumed you didn't know the characters name. I guess that makes me a dumbass. By the way, if you enjoy playing the "obscure references from the Office" game, let me know. I've always wondered what it would feel like to be outsmarted by a dumbass.

quote:
I didn't say the episode was outrageous. I said it was too focused on relationships. In the early episodes they only allude to Jim and Pam. Relationships weren't a part of the show. Now they are being a major point. Many a sitcom have gone wrong by forgetting that they aren't soap opera's.

Could you point out exactly which "early episodes" you're refering to? With the exception of a few cherry-picked episodes, I'm struggling to find an episode where multiple romantic relationships aren't alluded to and/or used as a major plot point. For what it's worth, I remember hearing people saying the The Office had jumped the shark because of relationships at the end of season two.
piag94
AG
Mike/Jan and Dwight/Angela were apart of the last couple seasons, but they were comical. The relationships this year are way too serious for this show. They better change the story lines or they'll lose some of their audience. I remember watching all those comedies when I grew up and can remember when I thought to myself "this is really not that funny anymore". The Office is still one of the best shows on TV, but it has really come back to the pack.
AustinAg2K
quote:
Could you point out exactly which "early episodes" you're refering to? With the exception of a few cherry-picked episodes, I'm struggling to find an episode where multiple romantic relationships aren't alluded to and/or used as a major plot point.

In the early episodes the relationships are just people "hooking up." The relationship between Dwight and Angela is really kept to mostly looks between the characters, or a little shot of something in the background. The Michael/Jan thing was more obvious, but it was done in a way of Michael viewing it as a relationship and Jan just thinking of it as hooking up.

I would say they're doing a pretty good job with the PB&J situation. It really hasn't been the focus of episodes. I thought having Jan spend all of Micheals money was funny too, but it really seemed out of character for her to open up at the end. The Dwight/Angela one is the worst though. It reminds me of episodes of Friends where Ross would just mope around and complain about Racheal. Hopefully Dwight will be back next week.
AustinAg2K
quote:
The Office is still one of the best shows on TV, but it has really come back to the pack.

That was the point I was trying to make. The Office is still funny, but you can see them making the same mistakes so many other shows have made. If they continue down this path, then we'll look back at the show as what could have been.

[This message has been edited by AustinAg2K (edited 10/24/2007 4:01p).]
ac04
quote:
i've been watching the past seasons on TBS lately and there is NO comparasion to the quality.

completely agree.
redline248
AG
if you had bought the season dvd's there would be no reason to watch crappy TBS.

Season 2 still had some of the best episodes. Halloween, for instance.
c-jags
quote:
Hopefully Dwight will be back next week.

i think the end of the episode where he took the ruler and knocked all of jim's stuff off foreshadowed that.
colonialag
AG
I just watched "The Fight" from season 2 again. One of the best cold opens in the show's history.
Seven Costanza
AG
The show has been down significantly this season. It's still good, though.
nowitchoke
LOCAL AD

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF ADVERTISING - When the Scranton branch is asked to participate in a Dunder Mifflin ad, Michael seizes his chance to exhibit his creativity. Meanwhile, Dwight explores the online world of Second Life.

Goose
AG
Funny, he's dressed exactly the same in Second Life as he is at his desk.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I'm very excite!
HoustonOlympics2070
great episode last week. looking forward to this evening's as well.
HoustonOlympics2070
"I've always wanted to be in the Witness Protection Service. I even have a name picked out: Lord Everett Ruperton. I'm an Admiral that raises sporting dogs."

Classic.
Bobcat06
AG
Dunder Miflin:

Limitless Paper ...in a Paperless World.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/#cat=new
tske87
About to start.

Holy SPIT - Darrell on the keyboards!
Pericles
A+ tonight!

"OH D!"
tske87
"In high school, my nickname was Kool Aid Man."
Spaceship
AG
Yeah, I thought tonight was really funny, and just proved it works better being only 30 minutes. The Philly Jim and Pam thing was sort of weird though. I couldn't tell if he was just embarrassed he was doing that or was trying to hide something.

Funny episode.
Spaceship
AG
quote:
"In high school, my nickname was Kool Aid Man."

His face after that was awesome... haha
zachattack
"Oscar, you will handle costume design...Obviously"
MonkeyKnifeFighter
WestTxAg06
AG
Good stuff on all counts tonight.

The best part had to be Meredith saying, "I'm not used to making videos with so many people watching."
Orbit
We had to pause and rewind after the "Kool Aid Man" comment because my wife was laughing so hard we missed the other funny comments from Oscar & Meredeth.

Oh, season 2 and 3 have been way better than season 4 so far, but The Office is still the best show on TV.
txag81
Or Meredith telling Jim, "Are you coming? P*** or get off the pot!"

Micheal using the word "coupe" when trying to say "coup".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.