***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,664 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AMW2010 said:

I'm pretty firm on believing that the person we saw was "he who remains" Nathaniel Richards from earth in the 31st century. The closed captions always said he who remained anyways. But he said who he was in his watch animation.

And when he says I'll see you soon. That was the unleashing of the multiverse.

Kang the Conqueror is just a Variant, and is an evil version. It's like saying there is a "good" version of Loki out there somewhere.

I'm only calling him Kang because that's what we've been calling him for weeks now, but yeah, you're almost assuredly right. He even alludes to a variant version of himself being called a "conquerer."
AMW2010
AG
Also. The marvel opening roll was like realllllllly cool. With all the kinda iconic phrases and characters voices.

Also after that, it started doing like famous speeches, one of them was Greta: "How dare you". I thought that was kinda funny. It's worth watching with closed captions on. For that stuff.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

To everyone who kept telling us Marvel will never introduce a major villain in the Disney+ shows, nor will they feature major MCU plot turns... we'll, Loki just did both.

What an incredible finale. What an awesome setup for things to come.

And yeah, Jonathan Majors as Kang is, indeed, dope.

Sh*t's about to get crazy.

I still can't get over this.

Last December Disney blew our minds - out of no where - with a Luke freakin' Skywalker cameo on The Mandalorian. Which of course then set expectations sky-high for something similar in WandaVision and, to a lesser expectant, The Falcon and the Winter Solder soon after. Neither series delivered in that regard, and people told some of us to just relax and enjoy the show(s) (which I've totally been capable of as well). Hell, even the ScreenCrush guy, no doubt still feeling the Mephisto burn, took the safe route and went all-in on the it's-another-Loki-variant theory this past week, while others gave some us sh*t for watching things like the ScreenCrush videos in the first place.

Now? All I have to say to the naysayers is...

Because the Loki finale *literally* just sparked the multiverse while ALSO introducing the phase four (and five?) villain - which actually sounds like villainS plural (all by the same actor) - and I could not be more stoked or satisfied.
AMW2010
AG
So random fun thought. There's tons of Variants of "Kang" some good some bad.we have already seen one, "he who remains" die and when he dies, he says I'll see you soon. How cool would it be if like all these movies coming up that have a version of "Kang" in them every time he dies, his final words are "I'll see you soon."

I think that would be pretty cool.
Not a Bot
AG
Loved this finale. A lot to pick apart.

I thought we'd see "He Who Remains" at some point but making him a Kang variant was surprising in a good way.

The statue Loki sees at the end is likely Immortus.

Having to think really hard about what that means in terms of where Loki actually is now.

Also, where did Renslayer go? What was the information she got on her device that caused her to go there?
Saxsoon
AG
Disney/Feige/Majors you MOTHER****ERS

Jonathan Majors must have the best damn poker face in Hollywood, "I have no idea what you are talking about"

He played the crazy all knowing Oz so damn perfectly. What a standout performance. He is going to be amazing for years to come.

The romance is there. Loki season 2 is going to be finding her and dealing with this new timeline where Mobius doesn't know who he is (which sadly kind of sucks)

Dammit I hate that I nearly shouted at 4am and waking my neighbors when Majors showed up. Going full blown into Kang causing the multiversal war and everything that led to that moment.

HERE WE GO!
Saxsoon
AG
Disney+ is here to stay!

Shamelessly stealing from Reddit

I guess you can call the Multiversal War a Kang Bang
Saxsoon
AG
It makes so much sense that the writer for this is attached to Multiverse of Madness
schmidthead
I didn't think they would go there but the 3 Disney+ shows, for all of their positive and negatives, really do subvert your expectations!
bluefire579
AG
Jonathan Majors was absolutely fantastic. Felt like he completely stole the show from the Lokis in this episode. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of him in the MCU
YNWA_AG
AG
This show got me so excited for NWH, MoM and ant man 3. So many great villains can come out of this multiverse. Can't wait for most likely Norman osbourne with doc ock and electro.
Such a Wild time.

I'm curious how quickly kang will be defeated since it after what Feige said. But everything is so fast paced since we are getting at least 16 marvel releases over 2 years compared to like 5 over the first 4 years
Dro07
AG
Mother of pearl that
Was
Awesome
redline248
AG
Are those not just clips from Thor 2 or something?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Here is the updated imdb credit for Majors:

Quote:

Loki (TV Series)
He Who Remains
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3718007/
BowSowy
AG
Wow, that was an incredible way to wrap the season. That's going to require a few more rewatches to wrap my head around it.

Do we have any idea what caused the timelines to start to diverge prior to He Who Remains being killed? I really didn't understand that part where he said he no longer knew what was going to happen.
texasaggie04
AG
Well, I guess we all remain a collective 0-fer in trying to guess what's going to happen. Never thought they'd pull out the big guns right away.

Where did Loki end up? This makes no sense to me. I assume either:
1. There's a Kang in each separate timeline that runs their own TVA to keep them separate from each other, and Sylvie sent Loki to a different timeline run by (supposedly) evil Kang.
2. The TVA is "outside" of time, the death of He Who Remains allows evil Kang to take over, and now evil Kang's timeline is the sacred timeline. So the TVA is just pruning branches that allow evil Kang to remain in charge.

Time travel and multiverse things hurt my head.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
And why did Miss Minutes offer Loki all that glory (beat the Avengers, kill Thanos, gain all infinity stones) before going in to meet He Who Remains?

A few minutes later, He Who Remains is asking Loki & Sylvie to run the TVA. Also, he is arguing that he laid out the path for them to come to him. So, there are some lies wrapped in there somewhere. It cannot all be true.
texasaggie04
AG
Another thought. What information did He Who Remains provide to Renslayer? Maybe something related to why Sylvie was pruned? Or a lead to find other Kangs?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

And why did Miss Minutes offer Loki all that glory (beat the Avengers, kill Thanos, gain all infinity stones) before going in to meet He Who Remains?

A few minutes later, He Who Remains is asking Loki & Sylvie to run the TVA. Also, he is arguing that he laid out the path for them to come to him. So, there are some lies wrapped in there somewhere. It cannot all be true.

I kind of assumed it was like when in ready player one Parzival is offered the contract to sign and refuses it showing a worthiness in handling more authority
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Another thought. What information did He Who Remains provide to Renslayer? Maybe something related to why Sylvie was pruned? Or a lead to find other Kangs?
Good question.

Perhaps Renslayer was his backstop. He didn't actually want Sylvie to kill him. So, he sent Renslayer on another errand to ensure that even if he died, another him would still run the TVA?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Final predictions:
The person at the end of time (probably Immortus) created the TVA to prevent the emergence of Kang the Conqueror by pruning timelines that lead to his creation. A multiverse free of Kang has always existed.
The take down of Immortus and the TVA will trigger the rise of Kang (the next thanos-level big bad), the multiverse of madness, and everything ahead of us.
Loki will be the only one who realizes the threat and he'll have to try to unite a new team of avengers to stop Kang in the movies ahead.
Loki will be motivated in this because something will happen to Sylvie where Loki must stop Kang to rescue or recover her. (Or he'll just find himself avenging Sylvie, truly becoming an avenger in his own way)
Kang's future plans will hinge on the Scarlet Witch.

Almost 100% nailed it!

Immortus = a version of Kang at the end of time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortus
Thanks and gig'em
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad there's a season 2, with that ending.

My biggest question - Will Multiverse of Madness be a direct result of Sylvie killing He Who Remains?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Well done, especially for a journo!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

To everyone who kept telling us Marvel will never introduce a major villain in the Disney+ shows, nor will they feature major MCU plot turns... we'll, Loki just did both.

Where are you getting Kang from?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also wondering if they're setting up He Who Remains as the new Thanos, ie the new big bad that the entire universe has to unite to fight at the end of the next Phase (or Phases).

If so, that's pretty awesome.

Another thing though -- if that's the case, it makes you wonder if the TVA was actually "bad" or not. If they really were preventing all this chaos, were they in the wrong?

It's an interesting debate for sure. Chaos vs free will.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Where are you getting Kang from?
Jonathan Majors has been confirmed as playing Kang in Ant-Man. Obviously they only referred to him as He Who Remains here, but there will be some instance of him, presumably a version of He Who Remains, that is Kang
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Do we have any idea what caused the timelines to start to diverge prior to He Who Remains being killed? I really didn't understand that part where he said he no longer knew what was going to happen
This is one of the things that bugged me. Why are there even new branches being created if that was the "end of time"?

That, and the reason for the nexus event on Lamentis, are still bothering me and I hope they're addressed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense then.

I rarely keep up with behind-the-scenes stuff for upcoming Marvel movies, and I'm not a particularly big Ant-Man fan. Hopefully that'll change with the third one, just like what happened with Thor for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Loki will be the only one who realizes the threat and he'll have to try to unite a new team of avengers to stop Kang in the movies ahead.
Daaamn, this would be awesome. Especially because Hiddleston is so fantastic.

I'd kind of been assuming Thor or one of the Eternals would take over, but this would be sweet.

Man, I really didn't know how they'd keep me interested in the MCU after Endgame. I figured there was nowhere to go after that.

And here I am, maybe more excited than I've ever been about the future of the MCU.
TCTTS
AG
But you've at least been reading this thread, right? I ask only because we've been talking about Jonathan Majors appearing as Kang for weeks now, with image analysis and everything. Not trying to be a d*ck or anything, just legit confused how you were confused, haha.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Skimmed and only after watching eps 1-5.

I wanted to go in clean.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Daaamn, this would be awesome. Especially because Hiddleston is so fantastic.

I'd kind of been assuming Thor or one of the Eternals would take over, but this would be sweet.

Man, I really didn't know how they'd keep me interested in the MCU after Endgame. I figured there was nowhere to go after that.

And here I am, maybe more excited than I've ever been about the future of the MCU.

This would be an awesome scenario, and I'm right there with you. I don't think anything will ever top the lead up to Endgame/the first decade of the MCU, but after last night my interest in the post-Endgame MCU just went way, way up.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.
redline248
AG
I know I shouldn't be trying to think about it too hard, but...here come some rambling thoughts

Did they show want us to think time is a loop? If so, then how do Sylvie and Loki break the loop to where Kang doesn't know what's going to happen? I don't think it can be a loop. There is no end of time, there is only what's already happened. No matter how far down the line Kang exists, there's always going to be more.

However, in order for him to know what was happening up to the point of the episode, we have to assume that Loki and Sylvie have found him before. So either he convinced them to take over in those timelines, or was able to overpower them somehow.

So, does his castle exist outside of time? How else could he live there and never age? Then again, the Castle looks like it has seen better days. Perhaps a battle took place there and that's why there is a destroyed statue...

We're probably going to need (or get) a Kang origin at some point. lol
BowSowy
AG
I liked the way Majors acted He Who Remains in this episode. But I'm not quite sure if I'll like that sort of whimsical style if/when Kang becomes the new big bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.