***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,671 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also think this all but confirms Kang is running the show. The Showbiz puppets looked nothing like the Timekeeper statues in the face.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it's interesting. The act of pruning is basically creating partitions in the timelines/universes.
bobinator
AG
In my head I've decided that the different Lokis make sense because the TVA isn't watching the events of the timeline, only the results of the events of the timeline. It doesn't matter if Loki is a woman, or black, or if everyone on earth are talking turtles, etc., as long as whatever the TVA (or whoever is running it) wants to happen, happens. When that event, whatever it is, is in jeopardy, that's when they step in and hit the reset button.
TexasAggie_02
AG
if you go back to the second episode and watch them set off the charge at the renfest, you can see that it only deletes things that are different from the sacred timeline. The grass is left behind. I believe they mentioned at one point that essentially the divergences are removed, and it more or less coalesces back into the main timeline. If you let it get to the red line, then the differences are too great to fix.
Max Power
AG
Enjoyed episode 4 much more than episode 3, but episode 4 also explains why Sylvie has much less charisma than Loki does. Episode 4 is the first episode that makes me feel like I immediately need to jump back in, but I don't have the time.

I had a feeling that when people were purged it wasn't death, but something else. There's been a lot of religious overtones to this show, lots of open debate about free will vs. fate. Perhaps when people are purged they are sent to a purgatory of sorts, neither heaven, nor hell, an in between. This would make sense because would an omnipotent being in control of time allow the TVA to permanently dispose of variants that obviously have some sort of role to play? Especially when it's revealed all of the TVA is populated by variants whose minds have been wiped clean.

As it's been speculated, I doubt there's 3 time keepers involved, there's one being at the top, likely Kang. They focus too much on the center face, and it's distinctly human in it's features. We might not see behind the curtain in the last two episodes, but it's gotta get close.
Decay
AG
Wait a dang second. So if pruning just banishes you to some doomed place... There's a whole-ass cart full of infinity stones that got zapped in that first episode.
jeffk
AG
An ass-cart? Gross.
bobinator
AG
I'm not 100% sure that getting zapped doesn't kill most people/disintegrate most things. There may be something unique about Lokis as to why they don't die.

If we're assuming that Mobius is alive, perhaps Loki finds another version of him on the timeline.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
What if the whole purpose of the TVA is to prevent timelines that create Kang from occurring?

That would make the overthrow of the TVA directly lead to the rise of Kang, who would then develop over his appearances in coming movies into the next big bad.
Thanks and gig'em
bobinator
AG
"Actually, the TVA is working for good" would be quite a twist. It seems pretty clear that whoever is running it is evil.
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

What if the whole purpose of the TVA is to prevent timelines that create Kang from occurring?

That would make the overthrow of the TVA directly lead to the rise of Kang, who would then develop over his appearances in coming movies into the next big bad.
Interesting.
jeffk
AG
I'm fine with the TVA pruning folks left and right to prevent Kang's rise in power as long as we get a sequence where everyone talks about the "GREATER GOOD."
redline248
AG
jeffk said:

An ass-cart? Gross.
cart full of asses or ass shaped cart?
rhutton125
AG
I thought Mobius was dead for sure with his zapping, but Loki being zapped opens the door back up. Unless, of course, the place where Loki woke up was Helheim or some kind of Asgardian-specific afterlife that he'd be eligible for but all the other zapped variants would not.

IIRC it looked kind of foggy or misty, made me think of Niflheim or wherever from God of War. Wiki says that sometimes that's used interchangeably with Helheim. Could be the place of the dead who aren't honored enough to go to Valhalla.

One thing that I don't think has been discussed here was the nexus event that saved Loki and Sylvie. 1) Normally those don't happen during an apocalypse, and 2) it only happened when they touched and looked into each others eyes. Is Kang somehow their descendant...?
JCRiley09
AG
I think the nexus event at the apocalypse was an indication they were going to survive somehow maybe?

Or maybe the TVA showing up actually helped create the nexus event. shrug.emoji

Either way, the two of them teaming up and finding out the time keepers are puppets is an event of the highest magnitude to the survival of the TVA
bobinator
AG
Yeah they're going to have to explain what happened there. The TVA itself showing up can't create a nexus event or the whole operation doesn't make sense.
redline248
AG
I thought it was implied that Loki falling in love with himself was creating the branch. I guess what y'all are asking is how exactly that would do it?
YouBet
AG
It looked pretty clear to me that their intimate moment caused the nexus event. It was a direct outcome of that moment the way it was presented.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the question is how would the two of them falling in love or whatever change what was about to happen? That's clearly the nexus event, but how was it going to create a whole new branch of reality if they were about to die anyway?
BCG Disciple
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah they're going to have to explain what happened there. The TVA itself showing up can't create a nexus event or the whole operation doesn't make sense.

Interesting thought exercise. Why wouldn't the TVA create nexus events? They erase realities with variants after taking the variant. That is what wipes away the nexus event and timeline. If it was known that the Loki's would later escape from the TVA, that scenario may have come from the nexus event?

Other than that, then falling in love must have resulted in them surviving that apocalypse. That would need to be explained because it is not obvious how their feelings would matter if they were extinguished 5 minutes later.
bobinator
AG
So just for the sake of clarity, we're not saying TVA folks couldn't create nexus events, just that their responding to a time branch can't itself be the nexus event they're responding to.

They monitor the timeline for time branches, when they see one they go into them and erase them, so for them to see the time branch, by definition, the nexus event they're responding to has to have already happened.

That has to be the case, otherwise the whole thing makes no sense. (It already only tenuously makes sense anyway.)
bluefire579
AG
Breaking up the serious discussion points with a little relevant meme action

lunchbox
So....did the TVA clip Wanda's kids when she wasn't looking and the town returned to normal?

If they go to a dead timeline, that could be how she "heard" them at the end...
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

One thing that I don't think has been discussed here was the nexus event that saved Loki and Sylvie. 1) Normally those don't happen during an apocalypse, and 2) it only happened when they touched and looked into each others eyes. Is Kang somehow their descendant...?
Loki is destined to be alone, and to be evil, and to bring out the best in others (avengers, asgardians, etc).

Loki falling in love, created a nexus spike that was vertical instead of angled, b/c he deviated away from his destiny in every timeline he's ever existed in. Mobius flat out asks him later that he needs to know right now what loki feels/wants, b/c it is the key to everything.

That key is free will.
bobinator
AG
Maybe when two Lokis kiss it connects the powers of all Lokis across the universe into some kind of MegaLoki.
jeffk
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe when two Lokis kiss it connects the powers of all Lokis across the universe into some kind of MegaLoki.

All while Huey Lewis and the New's "The Power of Love" swells.
TexasAggie_02
AG
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

You are overthinking this.

Clearly, the TVA is against self-incest. Not even Disney would go that far. Probably...
TexasAggie_02
AG
also, what happened to Sylvie bombing the sacred timeline? did they get that all cleaned up offscreen? b/c when they are looking for them in ep 4, the timeline looked all nice and straight until they caused that new nexus event
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

bobinator said:

All while Huey Lewis and the New's "The Power of Love" swells.
Decay
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

also, what happened to Sylvie bombing the sacred timeline? did they get that all cleaned up offscreen? b/c when they are looking for them in ep 4, the timeline looked all nice and straight until they caused that new nexus event
That's a really good point. They just cleaned up this huge mess offscreen with basically no issues? Apparently it was all just a diversion to let in Sylvie but it looked pretty bad.

Or the sacred timeline just isn't that important and they'll explain it later that Renslayer just typed a few keys and hey look at that everything's good now!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

Byong Sun Loki

bobinator
AG
Yeah I'm pretty sure the point of all of that was so they had to basically send everyone from the TVA to fix it and she could get a free run at the Time Keepers but they didn't do a very good job of showing that.
TCTTS
AG
I'm usually the guy explaining time travel to everyone else in movies/shows, but I fully admit that in this particular instance, I have no clue what's going on. I mean, I get the basic gist, obviously, but I still don't understand how variants come into being, what exactly is destroyed when a branch is clipped, etc. Still loving the show, overall, though, and I appreciate that, ultimately, it absolutely works despite the confusion.
MooreTrucker
AG
YouBet said:

bobinator said:

You are overthinking this.

Clearly, the TVA is against self-incest. Not even Disney would go that far. Probably...
But is it really "self-incest" if they aren't actually the same person, just Lokis from different timelines/universes?

Add to that Loki (all of them presumably) is a narcissist, so.......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.