***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

107,741 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

AliasMan02 said:

The Debt said:

Owen Wilson not being in episode 3 "looking for the Loki variants" kinda supports the theory that ep3 was an illusion...

I think there's a very strong possibility of that, but see two issues I don't have answers for. First, she said when she creates fantasies to enchant people, she uses they're memories, but that's not the case here. Also, what could she want from Loki, who doesn't know anything about the TVA?

Unless loki is using her memories to enchant her. She's the one that's familiar with this place.

Except they have made it pretty clear she uses an entirely different magic set than him. I don't think he can do that without the mind stone
YouBet
AG
I think this episode is simply the narrative mechanism to establish their friendship/partnership and that's all this is.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Saxsoon said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

AliasMan02 said:

The Debt said:

Owen Wilson not being in episode 3 "looking for the Loki variants" kinda supports the theory that ep3 was an illusion...

I think there's a very strong possibility of that, but see two issues I don't have answers for. First, she said when she creates fantasies to enchant people, she uses they're memories, but that's not the case here. Also, what could she want from Loki, who doesn't know anything about the TVA?

Unless loki is using her memories to enchant her. She's the one that's familiar with this place.

Except they have made it pretty clear she uses an entirely different magic set than him. I don't think he can do that without the mind stone

She claims to be self - taught, perhaps loki is a quick study.

Perhaps loki has a pocket full of infinity stones.

Also, her magic appeared to not work on him at the beginning, she shrugged it off to him being a strong mind. Could be bc they are in an illusion.

We've seen loki be able to access memories of Valkryie in Ragnorak. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Loki took the next step to create false memories (illusions)

She jolts awake on the train, like how she did the TVA agent in the beginning.
YouBet
AG
Well, we did see some scope creep on Loki's powers in this episode with that visible force push power. Don't think we've seen that before.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

I think this episode is simply the narrative mechanism to establish their friendship/partnership and that's all this is.
Dr. Horrible
On all 3 shows now, I'm wishing these were binge releases instead of weeklies. I think I would enjoy each show more. I would probably wait until the end and binge, but too paranoid about spoilers.
That said, I wasn't thrilled with this episode, but I still trust stuff will make sense and be better by time it is all done.
AliasMan02
AG
Loki smashing his glass when he was done was a nice nod to Thor. An Asgardian thing, I guess.
Malachi Constant
AG
How are we feeling three weeks into a Wednesday premiere versus a Friday premiere?
jeffk
AG
I like it because now I have two nights a week with a show release. (Bad Batch on Friday.)
TCTTS
AG
I wish they would split the difference and do Thursday. For some (admittedly nonsensical) reason, Wednesday feels too early in the week, especially when I've stayed up and watched late Tuesday night.

Ideally, I would love it if they treated the shows like they treat theatrical movies and release them Thursday evening/night. 6 PM Pacific feels like the perfect sweet spot, same as HBO on Sunday nights.

Basically, I wish all streamers would release episodes Thursday at 6 PM Pacific instead of Friday at 12 AM/3 AM Eastern. I hate, hate, hate 12 AM//3 AM releases. It would just be so much more fun if we could rekindle some semblance of event TV viewing, with everyone - at last the hardcore fans - watching at roughly the same time, in prime time, and then discuss after, like we used to do with Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and the like on Sunday nights.

I know it'll never happen, but if they're going to stick to Wednesdays, I wish it would at least be Wednesday evening, if only so I didn't have to try and navigate spoilers all day Wednesday. Because even article headlines give too much away nowadays if you don't watch an episode the second it airs.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Well Disney will never do that because it'll compete with ABC primetime audiences (whether in reality or theory is debatable). I'm not sure the logic for other streamers on when they release.
amercer
AG
veryfuller said:

Well Disney will never do that because it'll compete with ABC primetime audiences (whether in reality or theory is debatable). I'm not sure the logic for other streamers on when they release.

We've got to be getting much closer to the place where (non-sports) ABC prime time audiences are less important than streaming ones.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

I wish they would split the difference and do Thursday. For some (admittedly nonsensical) reason, Wednesday feels too early in the week, especially when I've stayed up and watched late Tuesday night.

Ideally, I would love it if they treated the shows like they treat theatrical movies and release them Thursday evening/night. 6 PM Pacific feels like the perfect sweet spot, same as HBO on Sunday nights.

Basically, I wish all streamers would release episodes Thursday at 6 PM Pacific instead of Friday at 12 AM/3 AM Eastern. I hate, hate, hate 12 AM//3 AM releases. It would just be so much more fun if we could rekindle some semblance of event TV viewing, with everyone - at last the hardcore fans - watching at roughly the same time, in prime time, and then discuss after, like we used to do with Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and the like on Sunday nights.

I know it'll never happen, but if they're going to stick to Wednesdays, I wish it would at least be Wednesday evening, if only so I didn't have to try and navigate spoilers all day Wednesday. Because even article headlines give too much away nowadays if you don't watch an episode the second it airs.

Take a nap Tuesday afternoon so you can stay up until midnight, grandpa.
YouBet
AG
I yearn for the good old days of "Must See TV".
Saxsoon
AG
Malachi Constant said:

How are we feeling three weeks into a Wednesday premiere versus a Friday premiere?

It sucks for me because I don't work Fridays. And they changed Hells Kitchen. Friday morning was Marvel and Gordon Ramsay and was a nice way to kick off the weekend
bobinator
AG
I assume it's a server/some-other-technical-cost-saving measure why they don't do it.
bobinator
AG
Was out of town last week and this weekend and just now reading back through this thread but are most people in on the "most of episode 3 didn't really happen" train?
rhutton125
AG
Just the overthinkers
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I mean, I think it's clear that the streaming audience is more important, just because they are paying customers. But the broadcast model (ad supported) isn't going to go away just yet. And its not good business to sell ads for a show that you could be cannibalizing with your streaming service when you don't have to. I doubt there is much crossover between ABC primetime and Disney+ streaming shows audiences, but there is no reason for Disney+ to step on ABC's toes since it doesn't have to, thats all I'm saying. I'm not really pro one type of release time or another. I like it when I can watch it as soon as it drops (like HBO shows), although sometimes I have evening plans and then can't watch the show until the next day anyway. It's also nice when I know I can watch an episode of something during my lunch. So, either way works for me, just give me the content haha.
bobinator
AG
I have two big picture questions that maybe someone on here can answer:

1) Where did variant "Loki" come from? Whether she's actually a Loki or not is somewhat irrelevant since the TVA showed other ones also, but if there's only one "sacred timeline" then how are there alternate Lokis? I don't really understand that.

2) Why was she surprised that her powers didn't work in the TVA? Shouldn't she already know that?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

I have two big picture questions that maybe someone on here can answer:

1) Where did variant "Loki" come from? Whether she's actually a Loki or not is somewhat irrelevant since the TVA showed other ones also, but if there's only one "sacred timeline" then how are there alternate Lokis? I don't really understand that.

2) Why was she surprised that her powers didn't work in the TVA? Shouldn't she already know that?
Same. No one has discussed this, but I am wondering if it was just bad writing or intentional.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Perhaps she has never really been in the TVA "realm." She's a variant who has never been captured?
bobinator
AG
She had to have at least been semi-captured at one point to even know the TVA exist right? And she's been using their technology, ambushing their men, and she knows A LOT about them.

It seems like a huge leap for her to have never been in the TVA before.
redline248
AG
I'm sure marvel has a good explanation, but the different versions of Loki that look different or are basically different species don't make sense in a "variant timeline" manner. That's what I would understand to be alternate reality/universe stuff.

I was going to watch a marvel studios video on YouTube where they talk about Sylvie, and it had footage of upcoming episodes. I didn't watch it all, but suffice it to say that we are going to learn more about her history.
bobinator
AG
That's where I'm confused.

In this show the 'Multiverse' is explained as what happens when multiple timelines exist simultaneously. So if the multiverse existed, then sure, you could have all kinds of Lokis.

But we are led to believe that only the "sacred timeline" currently exists, therefore Loki should be the only Loki right?

Unless the "sacred timeline" stuff is all just bull****. Maybe that's where this show is heading.
TCTTS
AG
Sacred timeline is definitely bullsh*t. At least that's where I'm leaning.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I'm still not letting this stuff bother me too much and waiting to see what the show is going to do, but I have some questions about that.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I will admit we bailed out of the 2nd episode to soon.
We were so tired of Librarian Loki and it put us to sleep.
Admittedly...
bobinator
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Perhaps she has never really been in the TVA "realm." She's a variant who has never been captured?
I'm a little confused on why so many people are starring this (seeming to indicate they agree.)

Do y'all really think it's reasonable to think that she's never been in the TVA before even though she knows so much about them and is using their technology? Am I missing something?
FincAg
AG
They came for her, she beat them in combat or enchantment and vicariously picked up how to use the keypad?

Occam's Razor
bobinator
AG
How does she know so much about how they operate? How did she know that hiding in apocalypses (something they themselves didn't even know) would work? How did she even know there was such a thing as "the timekeepers"?
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

That's where I'm confused.

In this show the 'Multiverse' is explained as what happens when multiple timelines exist simultaneously. So if the multiverse existed, then sure, you could have all kinds of Lokis.

But we are led to believe that only the "sacred timeline" currently exists, therefore Loki should be the only Loki right?

Unless the "sacred timeline" stuff is all just bull****. Maybe that's where this show is heading.
We just watched Dr Strange and I would say that is not how the multiverse worked in that movie. I also don't think they have explicitly equated these alternate timelines to being the multiverse on this show. However, maybe I'm not recalling that inference on Loki.

My take is that these alternate timelines are branches off the main timeline in the same universe. I'm not sure that makes sense but that's how I'm thinking about it.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I honestly hadn't thought that much about it and was just taking a WAG based n the convo here.
bobinator
AG
It's in the Miss Minutes video where the timekeepers 'arranged the multiverse into a single timeline.'

And creating a multiverse is what supposedly happens when a variant timeline is left unchecked for too long.
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

It's in the Miss Minutes video where the timekeepers 'arranged the multiverse into a single timeline.'

And creating a multiverse is what supposedly happens when a variant timeline is left unchecked for too long.
Yes I recall that now. Well, I don't know then but clearly the TVA gets blown up considering what we know is coming in other films.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.