***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

102,830 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
AgPediRPh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love how the DB Cooper mystery was explained. As soon as Loki said "I have a bomb", I realized what was going on
kyledr04
AG
I liked it. Got up early to watch. Agree it felt a little slow/confusing but I think that was by design, sorta how Loki experienced it. Glad to have new marvel content
Pirate04
AG
I loved how each turn played out. I was invested from the beginning.
I thought it was a good introduction into a show that I can't wait to experience. It was a little emotional seeing Loki viewing his entire life until the end. And then the ending where we find out the dangerous variant is Loki, although don't know what that is all about. All I know is that I'm fully invested!
The Dirty Sock
rhutton125
AG
My prediction from the first trailer that a Loki would be the villain looks to be true already... which means there's probably something else going on. Great!

Great start - a ton of groundwork to lay but now we can get into the meat of the series, I think/hope.

Really impressed with Owen Wilson so far as well.
C@LAg
rhutton125 said:

My prediction from the first trailer that a Loki would be the villain looks to be true already..
i think that was obvious from the get go.

it takes a loki to defeat a loki.
AgfromHOU
AG
My favorite premiere of the new Marvel D+ series. Seeing his life play out before him was where the episode really got good for me. Hiddleston is a really good actor.

This felt more Marvel to me, in a good way with Black Widow in a month.
rhutton125
AG
Probably so. Not trying to say I'm a genius or anything, just nice for that to be revealed now instead of way later and we're all like "yeah we guessed that."

But will this Loki be Lady Loki?

This episode really felt like some of the multiverse-related comics of yore. Maybe the first appearance of the TVA is when Reed Richards and Dr. Doom are battling with localized time travel devices, where Reed might punch at Doom but Doom goes back in time to where he was 2 seconds ago to strike at Reed, etc. It happens again and again and finally the TVA appears and arrests everyone, and the Fantastic Four have to escape back to their reality.

There's also a She-Hulk run where she has to defend a client in front of the Living Tribunal, IIRC. Wacky stuff like that, Time Keepers and branching timelines and things gone wrong. Immortus and Kang and all kinds of crazy ****. I got those kinds of vibes from this episode so I hope they can keep that up going forward.
Rick Dalton
AG
Took home a couple She-Hulks after closing time at the Chicken back in the day.
redline248
AG
blazing7s94 said:

redline248
AG
Although, today that could have a different meaning
redline248
AG
Here are some things we know:
1. Sacred timeline is one universe
2. Dr. Strange is titled Multiverse of Madness

Who breaks the sacred timeline? Does it, in fact, truly end up as a multiverse in Dr. Strange?

Bonus question: do we think evil variant is really another Loki? Kind of nice for marvel to avoid the guessing game on the villain, if so. How many of you went "Mephisto?" when the kid pointed at the devil stained glass?
Saxsoon
AG
The directors have outright said no Mephisto so thank goodness for that
YNWA_AG
AG
I thought it was pretty obvious they were referring to Loki with the horn marketing
texasaggie04
AG
Thought it was an interesting first episode. I wonder if a major theme of the series will be Loki coming to accept who he is meant to be. Maybe "Evil Loki" refuses to accept his predetermined life and therefore is fighting the system, while "Good Loki" will learn to accept that his purpose to is raise up others instead of tear them down.

Although I enjoyed it, I'm tempted to just wait and binge the whole series. With such a short run, that just feels a bit more natural than watching it week to week.
C@LAg
texasaggie04 said:

Thought it was an interesting first episode. I wonder if a major theme of the series will be Loki coming to accept who he is meant to be. Maybe "Evil Loki" refuses to accept his predetermined life and therefore is fighting the system, while "Good Loki" will learn to accept that his purpose to is raise up others instead of tear them down.

Although I enjoyed it, I'm tempted to just wait and binge the whole series. With such a short run, that just feels a bit more natural than watching it week to week.
In the comics, Loki often vacillates between evil, then just chaotic, to outright good, then mischievous, then eventually returns to being pure evil.

Evil is his base state, with the other states periodic shifts in his character because he is bored, has another agenda, etc.

At times, the story lines present his "new version" at odds with his inner monologue/representing the primary "evil" Loki, before he eventually reverts to form.
The Dirty Sock
blazing7s94 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Loved it.
YouBet
AG
That was awesome. It looks like the TVA is canon not that they would introduce something that isn't. I just missed all those comics I guess. Never heard of it.

Loved the end credits and the horror theme song has all kinds of John Carpenter influence to it. Can't wait for the next episode.

So, are the three Timekeepers celestials? Eternals?
C@LAg
YouBet said:

That was awesome. It looks like the TVA is canon not that they would introduce something that isn't. I just missed all those comics I guess. Never heard of it.

Loved the end credits and the horror theme song has all kinds of John Carpenter influence to it. Can't wait for the next episode.

neither. they are a mobius strip creation of the TVA.

the very last director of the the TVA created the 3 timekeepers to control time to ensure that the TVA would always endure.s

they just happen to look like space lizard people/.
Sex Panther
AG
That was awesome... so excited for the rest of this.

Also, holy crap. What a blast from the past...

bobinator
AG
Yeah I'm all in on this, loved it
JCRiley09
AG
So for Loki to have knowledge of and be killing TVA through time, he would need to know about them and have some kind of time travel device so does this Loki start all this time travel mischief in the future of this timeline?
C@LAg
JCRiley09 said:

So for Loki to have knowledge of and be killing TVA through time, he would need to know about them and have some kind of time travel device so does this Loki start all this time travel mischief in the future of this timeline?
the twist could still be that it is a GOOD Loki that is doing this - destroying the evil TVA that holds an oppressive grip on the timeline, denying people their free will.

he could also be gathering the canisters of time-restting goop for some purpose. maybe reboot himself back into the MCU prime.
JCRiley09
AG
True true

I wonder if Owen Wilson knows already that Loki betrays him in the future
C@LAg
JCRiley09 said:

True true

I wonder if Owen Wilson knows already that Loki betrays him in the future
no clue. but we do know there will be a season 2, so this is a long play, if it happens.
Gigem314
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah I'm all in on this, loved it
Same.

Looks like it will be a fun ride.
C@LAg
Quote:

i liked Josta.
Jason Ag
AG
A Loki from alternative timeline where Odin lost and never adopted him? Might be a reach, but I wonder if he will be blue.
redline248
AG
C@LAg said:

YouBet said:

neither. they are a mobius strip creation of the TVA.

the very last director of the the TVA created the 3 timekeepers to control time to ensure that the TVA would always endure.s

they just happen to look like space lizard people/.

provides a little better context to the chick saying "they're...busy," when Loki asked to talk to them.
israeliag
AG
That was fantastic. Easily the most cinematic feeling of the Marvel shows yet. Has this great Legion art, set, and weirdness style going for it that I can't get enough of.

The world does feel a bit Umbrella Acadmey, but it's Marvel Universe so I'm looking forward to how they take on that time authority theme.

Pretty tough job of cramming 2-3 movies of character development into one episode of TV, but it kinda worked, but specially with the twist of who the villain is.
TCTTS
AG
israeliag said:

That was fantastic. Easily the most cinematic feeling of the Marvel shows yet. Has this great Legion art, set, and weirdness style going for it that I can't get enough of.

The world does feel a bit Umbrella Acadmey, but it's Marvel Universe so I'm looking forward to how they take on that time authority theme.

Pretty tough job of cramming 2-3 movies of character development into one episode of TV, but it kinda worked, but specially with the twist of who the villain is.

Very well said, and right there with you on all accounts.

I can already tell this is going to be my favorite of the three Disney+ series so far. In terms of cinematography/set design, it looks amazing - better than most of the movies, even - and I'm shocked at not only how emotional the pilot is, but how emotionally smart it is too. The way Owen Wilson's character digs right into Loki's psyche, in legitimately effective and affecting ways, is incredible. That felt like some kind of penultimate episode character catharsis, except in the pilot, at the jump, which is so much more impressive. I can't believe they pulled that aspect off so well, and even had the balls to go there so early in the first place.

Oh, and speaking of Owen Wilson... after just one episode, I now consider it a travesty that he hasn't been a part of the MCU for years. Because he's so damn perfect for this universe, and man is it great to have him back like this.

What a fun, truly great and surprising effort all around so far. I cannot wait to see where it goes from here.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

JCRiley09 said:

the twist could still be that it is a GOOD Loki that is doing this - destroying the evil TVA that holds an oppressive grip on the timeline, denying people their free will.

he could also be gathering the canisters of time-restting goop for some purpose. maybe reboot himself back into the MCU prime.

Good call. This would be my guess as well at this point. Especially after watching the Screencrush video above. Would also prove Loki right, that he's going to burn it all to the ground, just like he said - only for noble/good reasons as opposed to his misguided "glorious purpose."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.