***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,799 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Timeline certainly matches up though. Good call!

Quote:

Therefore Tolkien dramatically altered his conception of the two Wizards. They no longer arrived in Middle-earth along with Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast in c. T.A. 1000. Instead they arrived much earlier, at roughly the same time as Glorfindel in c. S.A. 1600. Whilst Glorfindel was tasked with aiding Elrond with the war in Eriador, the Wizards were destined to journey to the East and South. Instead of mentioning that they drifted from their mission, Tolkien points out that they played a decisive role in the downfall of Sauron at the end of both the Second Age and the Third Age. They became known as Morinehtar and Rmestmo, Darkness-slayer and East-helper, and were successful in preventing the forces of the East and South from outnumbering those of the Free peoples in the West.

But given the lack of specific detail for those characters, I think they're basically a blank slate for them, which is kind of cool.

Glorfindel hasn't been confirmed for this show, right? I wonder if he might be coming in later seasons.

I've been involved with Fellowship of Fans from its very beginning and we've never heard anything about Glorfindel.

At first, we simply attributed it to having more insight and sources in the Numenorian sets, but eventually, the lack of evidence became too much to ignore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn. Wonder why. That's a big character to ignore.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn. Wonder why. That's a big character to ignore.

I don't know. He's a fan favorite, at least from the book crowd.

Celeborn is also MIA, though it looks as if at this point in their story Galadriel is a single lady.

We all thought that Ema Harvath was going to be Celebrian until we saw reports of her on Numenorian sets. In fact, it was through a set report of her addressing Maxim Baldry as Isildur that we were able to nail down the time period.

Crazy to think of all the time spent debating vague and often contradicting set reports, and here are.
chase128
AG
Where did you get that clip of info about the Blue Wizards?
chase128
AG
redline248 said:

Regarding Galadriel...it's funny to me how they portray her and the king. Isn't she older than him and essentially his cousin? They couldn't be handling her character any worse short of having her become a follower of Sauron for a bit.
Yes, and it's really awkward in the show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Blue_Wizards#Later_writings
chase128
AG
Thanks. The Peoples of Middle-earth is part of the history I haven't spent much time reading through. I'm not sure I even have a copy of it.
CondensedFogAggie
All in all, pleasantly surprised. The trailers made it seem like it would be mediocre to a disaster.

Hobbits are boring again, but then again I suppose you need the power of positive thinking somewhere.
amercer
AG
They are based on the Brits after all. Just a bunch of mundane stiff upper lip tea and crumpets life.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I didn't love Galadriel's adrift at sea storyline very much which is the big reason I take episode 1 over 2.

If 1 was an 8 for me, 2 was about a 7.
Same, but I imagine its primary purpose is to provide a reason for her character and the human dude to have a connection
redline248
AG
do we need 2 costco brand Beren & Luthien stories?
PatAg
AG
i think most on this thread would be better served not trying to compare this to anyting in the Silmarillion. It can't be the exact same.
AgE2theBONE
AG
I've read nothing from Tolkien's universe, so Galadriel's portrayal is like new info to me.

I hope the thread isn't going to be a constant complaint of how it doesn't match source material.

PatAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Timeline certainly matches up though. Good call!

Quote:

Therefore Tolkien dramatically altered his conception of the two Wizards. They no longer arrived in Middle-earth along with Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast in c. T.A. 1000. Instead they arrived much earlier, at roughly the same time as Glorfindel in c. S.A. 1600. Whilst Glorfindel was tasked with aiding Elrond with the war in Eriador, the Wizards were destined to journey to the East and South. Instead of mentioning that they drifted from their mission, Tolkien points out that they played a decisive role in the downfall of Sauron at the end of both the Second Age and the Third Age. They became known as Morinehtar and Rmestmo, Darkness-slayer and East-helper, and were successful in preventing the forces of the East and South from outnumbering those of the Free peoples in the West.

But given the lack of specific detail for those characters, I think they're basically a blank slate for them, which is kind of cool.

Glorfindel hasn't been confirmed for this show, right? I wonder if he might be coming in later seasons.

I've been involved with Fellowship of Fans from its very beginning and we've never heard anything about Glorfindel.

At first, we simply attributed it to having more insight and sources in the Numenorian sets, but eventually, the lack of evidence became too much to ignore.

Is this a serious post, or is written like fan fiction to be funny
PatAg
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

I've read nothing from Tolkien's universe, so Galadriel's portrayal is like new info to me.

I hope the thread isn't going to be a constant complaint of how it doesn't match source material.

It seems likely, especially given the source material they are complaining about isnt really even the source material they can legally use for the show. (unless that was changed)
redline248
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

Did you watch the movies?
PatAg
AG
Whoever it ends up being, the way they filmed him whispering to the fireflies was definitely delibirately done to mimic gandalf whispering to the moth.
That actor nailed it too
redline248
AG
100% on all accounts
AmarilloBQ02
AG
Entertainment Weekly Review of First Two Episodes
AgE2theBONE
AG
redline248 said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Did you watch the movies?

Yes. Everything I know comes from LOTR and the Hobbit films.
PatAg
AG
I dont think today is the day I start reading anything from Entertainment Weekly
Claude!
I got through about an hour of the first episode and didn't find anything to make me stick around, so I cut it off. I don't really mind the United Colors of Benetton casting - it's a little jarring but not unexpected in modern movies and shows. What I do object to is the casting for Gil-Galad. I'm sure the dude playing him is a wonderful man, but he looks like he should be playing a junior partner in a courtroom drama, not one of the most powerful Elf-lords to have ever lived.

I undoubtedly didn't give it enough time, but none of the plot threads were interesting enough to me to make up for the lack of any characters who I was interested in. Arondir and Bronwyn came the closest, I suppose, but various LOTR properties have already done the forbidden love thing; Beren/Luthien and Aragon/Arwen very well, and the elf/dwarf thing in the Hobbit movies very badly.

To be fair, it's likely that the show never really stood a chance with me. Having to make a new story from Tolkien's leavings is a difficult prospect, and I expect I'd wind up picking apart anything that was released.
powerbelly
AG
Through 1 hour and don't care for the harfoots at all. The rest is fine and seems to have potential.
CondensedFogAggie
chase128 said:

- Why are so many male elves jerks to Galadriel? Her getting made fun of with the boat, and then her soldiers standing up against her. I understand that they believe they are on a wild goose chase to find Sauron, but their negative attitude towards her just didn't seem to fit. Seemed over the top. The general dismissiveness and negativity towards Galadriel seemed ridiculous and it just got in the way of just about every scene with her.

General shoulda known better, but the grunts I kinda get it. Their boss was making them make suicide climbs up ice cliffs hundreds of feet high, fighting huge overgrown cave opossums, waltzing through polar vortexes, and I'm sure every other ridiculously treacherous terrain on the planet. Against orders too, for how many years(the one depicted was one expedition of many I'm sure)?

If she'd just given early, they'd already be on an all expenses paid, coed, infinite vacation to a beachside Hawaii resort a long time ago.
CondensedFogAggie
cbr said:

Yeah, as with a lot of modern ****, the casting of really wimpy, ugly people is distractingly bad. Galadriel is supposed to be the most stunningly beautiful powerful elf, and they cast a chick who should be in a sitcom about frumpy girls who cant find a date.

I don't know man, I thought Galadriel was super hot. I wouldn't trust her travel choices, but will gladly wait for her on top of a mountain after finding an alternate path.
JJxvi
AG
Do you hear that sound, Galadriel? Those are the shrieking eels!
The Debt
Havent watched it yet, but heard a writer critiquing it saying characters spoke the words "okay" multiple times in the first episode, so it wasnt just a bad take that snuck in during editing, someone had to write this a number of times it was used. The writer asked if the people working on this even realize how lazy their writing is. Throwing modern phrases into a fantasy world, one that takes place before the Jackson films in these lands, you would try and emulate the success of Jacksons script, because you sure AF wont approach the level of dialogue from Tolkien.
The Dog Lord
AG
Enjoyed it overall. Wife did too despite not having read any of Tolkien's works (she does like the LotR movies though). We both agreed House of the Dragon is way better in a lot of ways so far, but they're honestly hard to compare directly due to being so different. HotD is smaller in scope, has a grittier source material, and is much more focused on drama compared to the more epic scale of RoP.

I have some of the same mild annoyances as others with how certain things/characters are being portrayed, but I'm not too bothered. Part of me likes the fact that we're getting a quasi-new story, especially after the travesty that was Wheel of Time season 1 (praying season 2 takes a massive step forward).
PatAg
AG
The Debt said:

Havent watched it yet, but heard a writer critiquing it saying characters spoke the words "okay" multiple times in the first episode, so it wasnt just a bad take that snuck in during editing, someone had to write this a number of times it was used. The writer asked if the people working on this even realize how lazy their writing is. Throwing modern phrases into a fantasy world, one that takes place before the Jackson films in these lands, you would try and emulate the success of Jacksons script, because you sure AF wont approach the level of dialogue from Tolkien.
You love forming strong opinions about shows you dont watch, huh
AgE2theBONE
AG
The Debt said:

I'll go you one better.

They were speaking ENGLISH!
Urban Ag
AG
I am just happy for a new series to watch while working out.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

I'm not in to fantasy but I enjoyed the trilogy immensely and have seen the Hobbit films but was not a huge fan (first two were ok, third was a dumpster fire). I don't care in the least how it aligns with source material either. I read the Hobbit years ago but gave up on the others out of boredom.

So back to the series. Question. What is the time period here? I remember in Fellowship of the Rings it started out with back history showing the war against Sauron where he was defeated and his ring taken. Then lost. Then found by Gollum. The rest leads in to the Hobbit and LOTR. Does this take place after Sauron was defeated but before the Hobbit or before the war in which Sauron was defeated as depicted at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Rings?

It seems to implicate there was more than the two wars against Sauron (war one where he lost his ring and war two as the main plot of the Fellowship series).
Claude!
Urban Ag said:

I am just happy for a new series to watch while working out.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

I'm not in to fantasy but I enjoyed the trilogy immensely and have seen the Hobbit films but was not a huge fan (first two were ok, third was a dumpster fire). I don't care in the least how it aligns with source material either. I read the Hobbit years ago but gave up on the others out of boredom.

So back to the series. Question. What is the time period here? I remember in Fellowship of the Rings it started out with back history showing the war against Sauron where he was defeated and his ring taken. Then lost. Then found by Gollum. The rest leads in to the Hobbit and LOTR. Does this take place after Sauron was defeated but before the Hobbit or before the war in which Sauron was defeated as depicted at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Rings?

It seems to implicate there was more than the two wars against Sauron (war one where he lost his ring and war two as the main plot of the Fellowship series).
This is before the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, the climax of which we saw at the start of Fellowship (Sauron getting the ring chopped off his finger, etc.) and was the end of the Second Age.

Near as I can figure, what we're seeing now is early Second Age, which began after the completion of the War of Wrath, when Morgoth was defeated and banished through the Door of Night into the Void. Sauron was one of Morgoth's chief servants but fled judgment and is now apparently in hiding. As for the Ring, very minor spoilers - Sauron hasn't made it yet at this point in time.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Can I ask a dumb question here? Why didn't Sauron make another ring after he was defeated the first time? Would he not be able to even with Sauramon helping him?
Lathspell
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Can I ask a dumb question here? Why didn't Sauron make another ring after he was defeated the first time? Would he not be able to even with Sauramon helping him?
Because he poured his power into the One Ring. When he lost it, he lost a lot of his power. He doesn't have an unlimited amount of power.

Call it soul, spirit, mana, power, or whatever you would like. Pretty standard among fantasy that a being has a certain amount of power to draw from. If it is some form of renewable energy, that's one thing. If it is part of your being, then you are investing that part of your being into an artifact or spell, and must recover it to be whole.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Because he poured his power into the One Ring. When he lost it, he lost a lot of his power. He doesn't have an unlimited amount of power.

Call it soul, spirit, mana, power, or whatever you would like. Pretty standard among fantasy that a being has a certain amount of power to draw from. If it is some form of renewable energy, that's one thing. If it is part of your being, then you are investing that part of your being into an artifact or spell, and must recover it to be whole.

Got you. Kind of like Sandman with his **** then. The artifact let's you focus your power more specifically in ways that you couldn't do if you didn't have it.

So were the other rings part of his power too? And the idea was he was just setting them up to be enslaved once he made the one ring?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.