***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

186,413 Views | 1870 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Porkchop Express
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol... GET OUT OF MY YOUTUBE FEED!
Urban Ag
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

The Battle of the Five Armies is badass.
Actually no. It's not. It was completely terrible.
Al Bula
AG
Me to AI: "generate an image of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin in the barrow with wights."

AI:

redline248
AG
Amazing.
ja86
AG
Why does one of them look like a short fat Ed Sheeran?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One looks like Aragorn.
YouBet
AG
Where do you make these?
Al Bula
AG
YouBet said:

Where do you make these?
Microsoft Bing search app or Microsoft Copilot app. Half the time the AI servers either can't create an image because something in the prompt you are telling the engine to create is flagged for a dumb reason or the engine returns a string of text instead of an image.
Rewatching the extended edition of The Two Towers. The whole lead up and battle of Helms Deep is so perfect. I would say say it's the best battle scene in a movie all time!
Al Bula
AG
Unpopular opinion:

The splitting of the fellowship marked the start of the boring point in LOTR. Frodo, Sam and Gollum just aren't very interesting together. It is not until the encounter with Faramir that the story line picks somewhat up before going flat until they are rescued by the eagles.

Two Hobbits and a corrupt proto-Hobbit can't carry a story. Lots of ways the Frodo/Sam fiasco could have been improved upon.

Two alternatives:

1) Aragorn could dispatched Legolas to go after Frodo and Sam as a guide. If you can be honest with yourself, Legolas was apretty undeveloped elf that could see far and had a contest with a dwarf on killing orcs. That's really all. Had he had more delegated leadership from
Aragorn, there was a real chance to develop Legolas.

2) Boromir survived and became devoted to helping Frodo get closer to Mordor after his madness. Very little development on Boromir until after he was dead through Merry, Faramir and Denethor's perspectives. Faramir and Boromir should have been reunited before he died.
Grapesoda2525
Al Bula said:

Unpopular opinion:

The splitting of the fellowship marked the start of the boring point in LOTR. Frodo, Sam and Gollum just aren't very interesting together. It is not until the encounter with Faramir that the story line picks somewhat up before going flat until they are rescued by the eagles.

Two Hobbits and a corrupt proto-Hobbit can't carry a story. Lots of ways the Frodo/Sam fiasco could have been improved upon.

Two alternatives:

1) Aragorn could dispatched Legolas to go after Frodo and Sam as a guide. If you can be honest with yourself, Legolas was apretty undeveloped elf that could see far and had a contest with a dwarf on killing orcs. That's really all. Had he had more delegated leadership from

2) Boromir survived and became devoted to helping Frodo get closer to Mordor after his madness. Very little development on Boromir until after he was dead through Merry, Faramir and Denethor's perspectives. Faramir and Boromir should have been reunited before he died.
Frodo and Sam dealing with shelob was interesting.
CC09LawAg
If one wanted to buy the Silmarillion, what is a good version to buy?
BenTheGoodAg
AG

ETA - I just bought a copy at Barnes and Noble and use a lot of org charts and LOTR wikis in the background as I try to read through it.
YouBet
AG
Al Bula said:

Unpopular opinion:

Two alternatives:

I can't recall what happened in the books, but his redemptive arc (albeit very short) was incredible in the movie. I would not change that.
DallasTeleAg
Deal with it?

Your two options either:

1) Remove a great story of finding a lifelong friend in someone you had spent hundreds of years basically hating. (shown more in the book than the movies).

2) Take away the only real death of the Fellowship and a penultimate scene in the movie. One I would argue is the greatest death scene in movie history. The fall of Boromir is necessary for the story to hold the weight it does.

The Two Towers is the middle of an enormous and dense book. Is it the most boring of the books? Yes. You think following Frodo and Sam in the movie is slow? Try reading it. At least we didn't get 20 pages of Ent poetry in the movies. However, that's the story and I see nothing wrong with that.

Sending anyone else with Frodo who can also fight off the allure of the Ring cheapens the entire story and lessens the threat of the Ring, itself. Frodo is our hero because he was able to make it all the way to Mt. Doom before finally being overcome by the Ring. Sam is also our Hero because his love for Frodo and selflessness allowed him to resist the Ring all together. The whole idea is that no one else could have completed this task. Boromir definitely would not have been able to resist the Ring, seeing as he was the first to fall. Legolas may have lasted longer, but he too would have eventually given in.
The Porkchop Express

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.