***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

188,299 Views | 1873 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koky#:~:text=The%20koky%20()%20is%20a,kch%20()%20in%20Okinawan.&text=The%20koky%2C%20like%20the%20shamisen%2C%20has%20its%20origins%20in%20Okinawa.

This?
DallasTeleAg
I don't know what it's called. Your guess is as good as mine. You and I both have access to Google and ChatGPT.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I've googled it a lot lol
Legal Custodian
AG
Man, what a fall off this thread has had. I guess when RoP is considered that bad and a delay on the 2nd season there isn't much to talk about.

Meme game is still good though, need to bring some of those back.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Only 26 minutes in and already learned at least three new things I never noticed. (Such as Gandalf keeping his pipe in his staff.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DVC2010
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Was dicking around on YouTube and came across this guy's channel, which I am enjoying the hell out of. Especially listening through this one, which includes the charge of the Rohirrim music. I can't not get emotional when listening to this, and couldn't remember if they won best Score for this movie. After looking it up... I'm just blown away they didn't win for this movie. After Concerning Hobbits, this may be my favorite composition from the entire trilogy. Perhaps it's also because I absolutely love everything to do with Rohan.

I definitely view The Two Towers as the weaker of the three, but still has those same parts that are so far and beyond other movies, like the music. Are we just thinking they didn't want to give the same series the Best Score Oscar for three years in a row? Admittedly, I've never seen Frida (which won best score) so maybe i'm way off base, and that movie's score is one of the greatest of all time:

Weird bump. What is the string instrument the 2nd guy is playing? He's holding it vertically but it's bot a traditional instrument I've seen before.

Is that a mandolin he's playing with a bow?

I hope you've figured this out in the last two months because the answer is in the video title. Apparently it's an erhu.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Merry Christmas, y'all.
Al Bula
AG
Wrapping up a re-watch of The Hobbit trilogy.

So much unnecessary stuff, but damn it sure is good to put some substance to Gundabad, Dol Goldur, Lake Town and Erebor.
Andrew Dufresne
The Battle of the Five Armies is badass.
Al Bula
AG
It is also super satisfying to go back and re-read the piece The Quest of Erebor from Unfinished Tales pertaining to Gandalf's point of view on the events of The Hobbit. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it really helps bridge the importance of taking back the mountain vs Peter Jackson's quest for more money. Of course, most Middle Earth fans know this.

At times, it is hard to not think about The Hobbit trilogy as an Ocean's 11-caper style of movies. Call it Gandalf's 13.
The Porkchop Express
I had my daughter watch the Hobbit trilogy with me before tackling Lord of the Rings to get her familiar with the world. I do think the movies are very excessive and some of the decisions made are just out and out stupid, but to get the riddle contest, the first entry into Rivendell, Mirkwood Forest, all the stuff at Dol Guldur, the conversation with Smaug, and the non-individual battles of the Battle of 5 Armies made up for it.

It also got Luke Evans into a good spot to play Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, one of my favorite roles of all time.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree. I feel like there's enough great moments that would've made for two very good movies.

Instead, we got one pretty good one and two long, overstuffed ones with way too much filler.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.businessinsider.com/elves-haldir-rohan-helms-deep-valinor-halls-of-mandos2023-12

Agree? Disagree?
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Only 26 minutes in and already learned at least three new things I never noticed. (Such as Gandalf keeping his pipe in his staff.)
I'm only 3 minutes in and already pissed...dude is talking about Jackson's attention to detail from the books. I am certain he knows that the reason Gandalf's sword doesn't glow blue around orcs is because Jackson forgot about it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
SF Symphony playing live shows with the Fellowship playing in the background in April. Tickets are not cheap but it is tempting.

Any of y'all ever go to something like that? I feel like it has been discussed before here.
Madmarttigan
AG
Houston symphony does it all the time with HP movies and I love going to it
The Porkchop Express
Chipotlemonger said:

SF Symphony playing live shows with the Fellowship playing in the background in April. Tickets are not cheap but it is tempting.

Any of y'all ever go to something like that? I feel like it has been discussed before here.
I've been to two similar events in Houston. One was at the Summitt and was music from the Star Wars OT and PT with big video screens and was emceed by Anthony Daniels (C3PO)) - it was fantastic.

A couple of years ago, I went to see ROTJ with my brother and my daughter at the Wotham Center with the Houston Symphony doing the music and I thought it was pretty great, especially during the 3-part end battle (the shield bunker/Ewoks, the fleets, Luke/Vader/Palps) because they kept switching non stop with basically no breaks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I went to the NY Philharmonic playing FOTR at Lincoln Center a few years back, with Howard Shore in attendance. Would've been cool if he'd been conducting, but I did spot him in the crowd before the show.

(Went to a performance of ESB here too.)

Awesome experiences both.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Noblemen06
AG
That was good! Thanks for sharing...love the enthusiasm and appreciation for the trilogy. I'm not a Tolkien scholar - just a fan since reading The Hobbit as a kid, so I don't nitpick the movies on my rewatch every year. I had a VHS copy of the Rankin/Bass Hobbit cartoon that I wore out, thinking it was the pinnacle of book adaptations back in the day. Jackson's LotR movies never get old to me. I watched The Hobbit trilogy last week and am up to the Return of the King now. I'm at the point where I hate that they are ending after being "in the universe" again.
Andrew Dufresne
Do Orcs feel fear?
C@LAg
yes
PatAg
AG
anyone got any insight into the the LotR animated movie that is coming out in 2024?
C@LAg
PatAg said:

anyone got any insight into the the LotR animated movie that is coming out in 2024?
yes.

it is animated.

and coming out in 2024.

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_War_of_the_Rohirrim
DallasTeleAg
Random thoughts: the character of Eomer and the portrayal by Karl Urban is the most underrated of the Trilogy.

Eomer is a great character in the book, but I especially love how Jackson made Eomer a loyalist renegade, riding across the country collecting other loyal Rohirrim. This leading to what may be my favorite scene of the entire Trilogy: "To the King!"

I thought Urban's acting in the extended scene where he finds Eowyn is haunting and exactly what I wanted to see. I only wish Jackson had found a way to show us Eomer going into a blood-thirsty rage, massacring orcs with his bannermen.

I just love the loyalty of Eomer, and really the Rohirrim in general. I really hope we get that anime about Eorl and the founding of Rohan.
Al Bula
AG
Generative AI LoTR fun…some of these are wtf, but great time waisters.

One does not simply walk into Mordor

One does not simply walk into Mordor

What's taters, precious?

Faramir and the Ithilien rangers playing poker at Hennuth Annun

Denethor on the turntable in the White Tower while Sauron is looking on through the Palantir

Gandalf cooking breakfast for the Uruk Hai

Gandalf cooking breakfast for the Uruk Hai

Smaug setting Kyle Field on fire

Gandalf dressed like Indy in the idol stealing scene of Raiders

Gandalf and the Balrog cheersing some ale

The Fellowship as Aggie football players

The Porkchop Express
Looks like Frodo had a great offseason!
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Looks like Frodo had a great offseason!
Ready to lead us to victory over the evil tsips
Al Bula
AG
And the Ags switched back to Nike!
YouBet
AG
Pretty sure that pic is fake. The word "Aggies" does not have three G's in it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
That Pic of Smaug has me wondering how big he is on a Kyle Field scale.
YouBet
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

That Pic of Smaug has me wondering how big he is on a Kyle Field scale.

Probably around end zone size based on the The Hobbit movie anyway.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.