***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

188,264 Views | 1873 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Faustus said:

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/getting-lord-rings-anime-movie-180056168.html

Quote:

. . .
A press release describes the new film as an exploration of "the untold story behind the fortress of Helm's Deep." The material adds that this feature will "delv[e] into the life and bloodsoaked times of one of Middle-earth's most legendary figures; the mighty King of Rohan Helm Hammerhand."

Helm, the ninth king of Rohan, was famously defeatedbut not killedat the Crossings of Isen. However, he would survive for just another year, following a lengthy siege alongside his brother. Despite his defeat, Helm maintained a ferocious reputation; he was even thought to live on in some form following official decree of his death.

Kamiyama has been imbuing the anime world with color and story since the 1980s. Among his most noteworthy credits, we find several Ghost in the Shell series, as well as the 2019 Ultraman show. He will also direct the forthcoming Blade Runner anime, Black Lotus, alongside Shinji Aramaki. This series is expected to air on Adult Swim at some point in 2021.

We don't know just yet when to expect The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. However, we know that the film will debut on the big screen.
. . .
My apologies if already posted and discussed.
1. HUGE swords and impractical/unwieldy armor
2. Bloody decapitations
3. Water tentacle monster
4. Excessive jumping and flipping

Rock1982
AG
Question for the Tolkien experts:

Recommended Tolkien related podcast? I'm interested in the entire Tolkien legendarium.

Thanks!
Micah97
AG
Nerd of the rings on YouTube.
heddleston
AG
Depending on how deep you want:

The Tolkien Professor: https://pca.st/podcast/1ba362a0-2779-012e-0689-00163e1b201c

The Legendarium (tons of fantasy/sci-fi with a heavy Tolkien and Sanderson bent): https://pca.st/podcast/b5694f40-1879-0132-afe8-5f4c86fd3263
AGnBCS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Barristan Selmy is still alive in my GOT

I say this often to my non book read friends .
Solo Tetherball Champ
C@LAg said:

Faustus said:

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/getting-lord-rings-anime-movie-180056168.html

Quote:

. . .
A press release describes the new film as an exploration of "the untold story behind the fortress of Helm's Deep." The material adds that this feature will "delv[e] into the life and bloodsoaked times of one of Middle-earth's most legendary figures; the mighty King of Rohan Helm Hammerhand."

Helm, the ninth king of Rohan, was famously defeatedbut not killedat the Crossings of Isen. However, he would survive for just another year, following a lengthy siege alongside his brother. Despite his defeat, Helm maintained a ferocious reputation; he was even thought to live on in some form following official decree of his death.

Kamiyama has been imbuing the anime world with color and story since the 1980s. Among his most noteworthy credits, we find several Ghost in the Shell series, as well as the 2019 Ultraman show. He will also direct the forthcoming Blade Runner anime, Black Lotus, alongside Shinji Aramaki. This series is expected to air on Adult Swim at some point in 2021.

We don't know just yet when to expect The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. However, we know that the film will debut on the big screen.
. . .
My apologies if already posted and discussed.
1. HUGE swords and impractical/unwieldy armor
2. Bloody decapitations
3. Water tentacle monster
4. Excessive jumping and flipping
Already got that in the movies:

1: Witch-king and his mace
2:....
3: Watcher in the water!
4: Legolas
DVC2010
AG
Rock1982 said:

Question for the Tolkien experts:

Recommended Tolkien related podcast? I'm interested in the entire Tolkien legendarium.

Thanks!

I've recently started The Prancing Pony Podcast to coincide with a re-read of The Hobbit. It's mostly a book club style show. They've covered the Silmarillion and The Hobbit. It looks like they're in the middle of The Two Towers right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
I'd take a mini series about this! (This is a satire website)

https://instagr.am/p/CQb0C4Vnnu9
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
redline248
AG
Hey ho my derry-o!
DallasTeleAg
Put me in the group of fans who thinks Tom Bombadil is useless.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Lord of the rings 4k ultra hd trilogy set is $60 on Amazon right now instead of $90 for prime day, if anyone needs to buy it for like the 5th time

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Extended-Theatrical/dp/B08KQBYM1Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=11UJVD063AHJQ&dchild=1&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+4k&qid=1624414731&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=lord+of+the+rings%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2
DallasTeleAg
A lot of of the 4K looks great. However, it does make a lot of CGI look much more obvious.
Solo Tetherball Champ
DallasTeleAg said:

A lot of of the 4K looks great. However, it does make a lot of CGI look much more obvious.

It's 20 year old movies. CGI is going to show its age.

bagger05
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Put me in the group of fans who thinks Tom Bombadil is useless.
I'm reading Fellowship and just got through "In the House of Tom Bombadlil."

Unnecessary? Definitely.

Useless? Not totally, IMO.

I think the point of Bombadil is to put the entire War of the Ring in context, in that this is a really big deal to the players involved in the game but mother nature don't give a damn

Also, it does show some limitations of the ring's power. It has dominion over people, but not really nature itself. This might explain why hobbits seem more resistant to the ring than others would and Sam seems almost totally unaffected (even when he's in Mordor). Maybe that last bit is a reach... just riffing.
DallasTeleAg
Hot take.
chase128
AG
heddleston said:

Depending on how deep you want:

The Tolkien Professor: https://pca.st/podcast/1ba362a0-2779-012e-0689-00163e1b201c

The Legendarium (tons of fantasy/sci-fi with a heavy Tolkien and Sanderson bent): https://pca.st/podcast/b5694f40-1879-0132-afe8-5f4c86fd3263
Prancing Pony Podcast is also excellent. The Professor is great, but his "Exploring Lord of the Rings" spent the last year on just the Council of Elrond chapter, probably 65+ episodes.
chase128
AG
I don't think Bombadil is useless or unnecessary. It gives the reader a sense of the width and breadth of the world of Middle Earth. That there is a long, rich history of this world and there are beings in it that no one really quite understands, like Bombadil.
bagger05
AG
I think the argument as "useless or unnecessary" is that while he adds context and depth he doesn't do much to really drive the plot.

That said, if you're not into context and depth then why are you reading Tolkien
cbr
AG
I didnt really like those chapters when i was 6. If the previous chapters hadnt have hooked me i might not have finished the books. I've skipped them every time i read the books since - i think maybe 3 times.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DallasTeleAg
Been a while since I read Return of the King but, in the book, wouldn't that have been one of the Dunedain?
redline248
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Been a while since I read Return of the King but, in the book, wouldn't that have been one of the Dunedain?
or one of Elrond's sons.
DallasTeleAg
True. I forgot they rode with the Dunedain and brought his standard to him.
powerbelly
AG
Gandalf and Aragorn rode toward the Black Gate with a small envoy, including Gimli, Legolas, Pippin, Eomer, Imrahil (Denathor's brother), and Elrond's sons (Elladan and Elrohir) representing each of the races of Middle-earth that were opposed to Sauron.
DallasTeleAg
powerbelly said:

Gandalf and Aragorn rode toward the Black Gate with a small envoy, including Gimli, Legolas, Pippin, Eomer, Imrahil (Denathor's brother), and Elrond's sons (Elladan and Elrohir) representing each of the races of Middle-earth that were opposed to Sauron.
Gandalf, Aragorn, Eomer, Imrahil, Legolas, Gimli and Elrond's sons... I want to see them in a circle and throw as many orcs against them as possible. Let's start with a thousand? I nerdgasm hard when I see that list of characters.

I mean... I love the movies, but I feel bad for those who have never read the Return of the King.
powerbelly
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

powerbelly said:

Gandalf, Aragorn, Eomer, Imrahil, Legolas, Gimli and Elrond's sons... I want to see them in a circle and throw as many orcs against them as possible. Let's start with a thousand? I nerdgasm hard when I see that list of characters.

I mean... I love the movies, but I feel bad for those who have never read the Return of the King.
We never really see the upper limit of Gandalf's powers. Who knows what he has held back over the years.
DallasTeleAg
Well... they and around 6,000 hold their ground against somewhere around 200,000. Too bad the technology wasn't around to really showcase a fight like that in The Return of the King. I'm pretty sure Gandalf went to 11 in that particular fight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

DallasTeleAg
Nope. Not gonna trick me into clicking on a Cobert video!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
No Driveshaft songs?
DallasTeleAg
Was rewatching RofK again, and reminded so much of the various reasons why it fell from being my favorite of the trilogy, making the Fellowship my favorite.

1. Gandalf being outmatched by the Witch King just pisses me off every time I see it. I am one of those who interprets Gandalf the White as truly Olorin and no longer one of the Istari. He is finally able to actually use his Maiar powers and the Witch King would not be able to just ***** slap him. In the book, Gandalf does mentioned he hasn't been tested against the Witch King and that the WK draws power from Sauron, but breaking Gandalf's staff and knocking him off his horse? BS.

2. Army of the Dead deus ex machina scene still bothers me. Could have added some dialogue in the movie about the southern part of Gondor being pinned down by the Corsairs and have Aragorn save them with the Army of the Dead, and then actually bring soldiers north. Just, to this day, it really bothers me to see the Army of the Dead just slaughter everything.
shaynew1
AG
#1 is one of my favorite pages in the whole book. i don't know why the huge, egregious departure from the source was necessary.

I know I know...books. Sorry. I feel better though.
DallasTeleAg
For me, it's not even the fact he didn't replicate one of the best scenes in the book, it was the fact he made Gandalf look like a b***h.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.