***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

193,516 Views | 1921 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Al Bula
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah... so I got caught listening to the entire Battle of the Pelennor fields. I've read The Return of the King at least 4 times, and forget just how epic those chapters are. In the movies, I believe Helm's Deep is the better portrayed battle, despite its differences from the books. However, in the books, the Siege of Minas Tirith and Battle of the Pelennor are still the most epic battle scenes in any book i've read.
PatAg
AG
Yea, he made some interesting omissions and changes from the book. Wish he had depicted them mounting their own sortie out of the broken gates, instead it kind of made them seem weak and incompetent
DallasTeleAg
For me, it's one of the reasons why, 20 years later, Fellowship has become by favorite of the three movies. RotK Battle feels a little anticlimatic when compared to the book, or even not comparing it to anything.
Solo Tetherball Champ
DallasTeleAg said:

For me, it's one of the reasons why, 20 years later, Fellowship has become by favorite of the three movies. RotK Battle feels a little anticlimatic when compared to the book, or even not comparing it to anything.
The charge of the Rohirrim was epic, totally matched my imagination.

And then Jackson goes and mucks up the ending of the battle by shoehorning the army of the dead at Minas Tirith. Total Deus Ex, and it robs Aragorn of the first of his Big King Moment: Showing up in the corsairs ships with the Banner of the Kings (Second being the houses of healing, which may appear in brief in the etended version. I don't remember).

In the book, the Good Guys were all panicking at the site of the ships while the forces of Mordor were rejoicing, because it meant that southern Gondor must have fallen. But instead, Aragorn unveils his banner, the Mordor armies are confused, and the good guys are filled with hope. Then Aragorn jumps off the ships with the armies he brought, and they rout an enemies whose morale is broken by the sight of a flag on a ship.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'll never forgive them for not including the Lord of the Nazgul's confrontation with Gandalf at Minas Tirith in the theatrical version of ROTK.

The very best of the very best of the very best. I should have nominated it for the Best of Everything contest.

"In rode the Lord of the Nazgl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.

All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dnen.
"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"
The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

DVC2010
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I'll never forgive them for not including the Lord of the Nazgul's confrontation with Gandalf at Minas Tirith in the theatrical version of ROTK.

Somehow, the version they included in the extended version was worse than omitting it altogether.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
DVC2010 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Somehow, the version they included in the extended version was worse than omitting it altogether.
I absolutely agree. That was the rare instance where simply filming what was on the page would have been amazing without movie magic. Theoden's dying speech is the best part of the whole sequence.

Also bums me out that they don't have Gandalf finding Merry in the chaos afterwards. He says something to the effect of "They should have carried you into this city as a hero."
redline248
AG
Way back in the original thread for the build up for Return I listed that encounter as the thing I was most looking forward to seeing.

F Peter Jackson for not including it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me it's the death of Saruman. Should've absolutely been in there.
heddleston
AG
That guy's audiobook renditions are amazing. If you haven't already m, figure out how to download those because New Line and the Tolkiens get them taken down pretty quickly. I dug around a few years ago until I got a full set and it's pretty awesome.
DallasTeleAg
heddleston said:

That guy's audiobook renditions are amazing. If you haven't already m, figure out how to download those because New Line and the Tolkiens get them taken down pretty quickly. I dug around a few years ago until I got a full set and it's pretty awesome.
They are. Unfortunately, my post was the last one of the last page, so i feel people have missed it. I literally linked the same scene as Fat Bib Fortuna posted.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

Way back in the original thread for the build up for Return I listed that encounter as the thing I was most looking forward to seeing.

F Peter Jackson for not including it
I remember that very first teaser trailer had Merry bowing down to Theoden to be knighted and I was so looking forward to it, but it also didn't make the theatrical release.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Going straight into the daily rotation.
First episode of this podcast drops tomorrow.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Going straight into the daily rotation.
First episode of this podcast drops tomorrow.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
NewOldAg
AG
By far the biggest sin was cutting Eomer's reaction to finding Eowyn on the Pelannor Fields.

The rooms becomes dusty every time I see it.
Al Bula
AG
I cannot BELIEVE Tom Bombadil was cut. I wanted to see Goldberry's cleavage is her little smock.
powerbelly
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

I cannot BELIEVE Tom Bombadil was cut. I wanted to see Goldberry's cleavage is her little smock.
I love Tom Bombadil, but he would have been impossible to pull off on screen and I think the break in action would require another hour to the movie.
DallasTeleAg
NewOldAg said:

By far the biggest sin was cutting Eomer's reaction to finding Eowyn on the Pelannor Fields.

The rooms becomes dusty every time I see it.
I have always thought the same. That was one of the most gutwrenching parts in the entire series. Karl Urban acted his ass off in that scene.

Would have been even better if they had done it like the book, though. Seeing Eomer screem in despair like that, and then turning around and charging into the enemy orcs to slaughter the crap out of them would have been awesome.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
A non-Tolkien audience wouldn't have understood Bombadill. A character so powerful he doesn't even give a **** about the ring that everyone else can't resist for 2 seconds, but he won't help them.
DallasTeleAg
I have never understood people's desire to see Tom Bombadil in the movies. He literally serves no purpose to the story, other than saving them from the Barrow wight, where they get the daggers.
amercer
AG
I'm not sure I understand him and that's after reading all the books (finished and unfinished) and the appendices.

One of the best part of Tolkien was that, despite his desire to so fully fill out his world with detail, nothing was ever really over explained. Mystery is the heart of fantasy (something certain properties could learn from cough*starwars*cough)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
amercer said:

Mystery is the heart of fantasy (something certain properties could learn from cough*starwars*cough)
Dying in 1973 helped Tolkien avoid that problem. I'm guessing if he had lived until 2005 he would have had about 35 more "More Tales from Middle Earth" books to crank out.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

amercer said:

Mystery is the heart of fantasy (something certain properties could learn from cough*starwars*cough)
Dying in 1973 helped Tolkien avoid that problem. I'm guessing if he had lived until 2005 he would have had about 35 more "More Tales from Middle Earth" books to crank out.
If he had lived, odds are he would not have published anything new, but would have continued to tinker with the Silmarillion as well as produce another dozen or so incomplete and unfinished stories.

The more I've learned about his writing style, the more I'm surprised he ever completed LOTR.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And yet, the odds of another Tolkien book and another ASOIAF book are about even.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And yet, the odds of another Tolkien book and another ASOIAF book are about even.

Sucks for all the GRR Martin fans: Imagine if Season 8 of GOT becomes the "official" ending of the entire series!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Meh, the books were already different enough well before season 8. I have read all of the books and like to remember that story as separate from the last few of the show.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Barristan Selmy is still alive in my GOT
wangus12
AG
Totally forgot this was made

DallasTeleAg
So, I do enjoy watching reaction videos for movies on YouTube. This popped up on my feed, today, and I got a kick out of it. There are lots of videos of people reacting to watching LotR for the first time, but none of them do a full reaction for all the books first, and then the movies. Very fun to re-experience this series through someone else's eyes.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fun watch.
redline248
AG
you really watched the whole hour of that?
DallasTeleAg
i jumped around during the book parts. Seemed better for my mental health than spending an hour reading a lot of what's on TexAgs.
Faustus
The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/getting-lord-rings-anime-movie-180056168.html

Quote:

. . .
A press release describes the new film as an exploration of "the untold story behind the fortress of Helm's Deep." The material adds that this feature will "delv[e] into the life and bloodsoaked times of one of Middle-earth's most legendary figures; the mighty King of Rohan Helm Hammerhand."

Helm, the ninth king of Rohan, was famously defeatedbut not killedat the Crossings of Isen. However, he would survive for just another year, following a lengthy siege alongside his brother. Despite his defeat, Helm maintained a ferocious reputation; he was even thought to live on in some form following official decree of his death.

Kamiyama has been imbuing the anime world with color and story since the 1980s. Among his most noteworthy credits, we find several Ghost in the Shell series, as well as the 2019 Ultraman show. He will also direct the forthcoming Blade Runner anime, Black Lotus, alongside Shinji Aramaki. This series is expected to air on Adult Swim at some point in 2021.

We don't know just yet when to expect The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. However, we know that the film will debut on the big screen.
. . .
My apologies if already posted and discussed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.