***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

222,661 Views | 1947 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by The Porkchop Express
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

My guess is it will be perfectly fine.
Hard to be worse than what they was done to the hobbit

There's a pretty big gulf between "perfectly fine" and "what was done to The Hobbit."
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I had no idea they were remaking Highlander!
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Collective said:

Looks to be all based off quotes from the cast, and allegedly Amazon is doing damage control & trying to walk it all back. IDK, stuff just started showing up in my feed. Not sure why…

This. Some of the cast/crew have talked about how it's supposed to be more representative and inclusive.

Essentially, they're trying to copy recreate the success of GOT by playing on the success of the LOTR trilogy, which they didn't create, and playing to a fan base of Tolkien's work, which they also didn't create, by ripping it off, trying to throw their own woke spin on it, and throwing a lot of money at it. It just smacks of desperation and unoriginality.

I will remain highly skeptical until it is released.
YNWA_AG
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The Collective said:

Looks to be all based off quotes from the cast, and allegedly Amazon is doing damage control & trying to walk it all back. IDK, stuff just started showing up in my feed. Not sure why…

This. Some of the cast/crew have talked about how it's supposed to be more representative and inclusive.

Essentially, they're trying to copy recreate the success of GOT by playing on the success of the LOTR trilogy, which they didn't create, and playing to a fan base of Tolkien's work, which they also didn't create, by ripping it off, trying to throw their own woke spin on it, and throwing a lot of money at it. It just smacks of desperation and unoriginality.

After some research, The Tolkien society stuff has me worried. I'm sure they gave an opinion on the show
PatAg
AG
DVC2010 said:

PatAg said:

My guess is it will be perfectly fine.
Hard to be worse than what they was done to the hobbit

There's a pretty big gulf between "perfectly fine" and "what was done to The Hobbit."
Yep, Im just hoping to enjoy it, but not expecting it to be great. I expect there will be many scenes, or parts of the story that I think just aren't very good. But overall I hope to like it.

Basically, for a frame of reference, I expect it to be better than Wheel of Time season 1, and I'm still going to watch season 2 of that show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Premiering at a reasonable time. (8 pm CT on Thursday 9/1)

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/08/16/114402-the-rings-of-power-full-airing-schedule-is-now-available/

11 pm for the rest of the episodes.
Lathspell
AG
One day away from all the TexAgs arguments. It's about to go down on this thread...
Claude!
I expect it to be bad but am open to being surprised.
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

One day away from all the TexAgs arguments. It's about to go down on this thread...
?
wangus12
AG
He thinks it means tomorrow
C@LAg
DallasTeleAg said:

Lathspell
AG
wangus12 said:

He thinks it means tomorrow
Lol.... yeah, I read Thursday and immediately thought "tomorrow".

Fine... two weeks until the Thunderdome.
C@LAg
https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-agreement-to-acquire-ip-rights-to-the-lord-of-the-rings-and-the-hobbit-literary-works-by-j-r-r-tolkien/

The Embracer Group have bought up all IP rights to of Middle-Earth Enterprises, the company that owns the big-and-small-screen rights to most of J.R.R. Tolkien's most important works, including Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. It includes, movies, TV, video game rights.

It does NOT include book publishing (that is Harper Collins)

The guess is the rights cost about $600ish million..
AmarilloBQ02
AG
Why even make this series when they don't own the rights to the primary source material? So much of what I've heard/seen so far seems to directly contradict what Tolkien wrote in the Silmarillion.
C@LAg
AmarilloBQ02 said:

Why even make this series when they don't own the rights to the primary source material? So much of what I've heard/seen so far seems to directly contradict what Tolkien wrote in the Silmarillion.
think of it as multiverse alt fan-fiction.

We are not on Middle Earth Prime, but on Middle Earth 69, because lolz.

but the good thing is that with the sale today of the rights, Amazon can now go and license them from someone else on top of the ones they got from the Tolkien Estate.
AmarilloBQ02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They already have the rights to LOTR, including the appendices. What they don't have is The Silmarillion.
The Porkchop Express
AG
C@LAg said:

C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They already have the rights to LOTR, including the appendices. What they don't have is The Silmarillion.
or any of the detail behind it from all the lost tales. hence... fan fiction.
C@LAg
Amazon has a few tracks from the soundtrack up for streaming on amazon music.

The full season soundtrack, with titles has been leaked onto torrents.

listening now.

some good, some bad.
Main theme... disappointing. and that is the one by Howard Shore. May get much better if parts of it are recycled into later themes and used repeatedly in the show.
Lots of cribbing that sounds like Game of Thrones I swear Duran theme is a riff on the GoT title theme, but done in a waltz tempo.
So far-it is listenable, but it does not grab you.

C@LAg
if you want to see song titles (some may be spoilery) here ya go:

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/08/17/114410-breaking-track-titles-for-the-rings-of-power-soundtrack/
The Collective
AG

Top YT comment when I last checked, "When Galadriel pulled out her lightsaber and said, "Wakanda forever" sent shivers up my spine. Tolkien couldn't have written anything better."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This sale does not affect them is my point.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Galadriel looks great.

I kind of wish the hobbits weren't in it at all to be honest. It feels like that was the whole point of how crazy it was that they were so much in focus for The Hobbit and LOTR. Most people in Middle Earth didn't even know they were around, or had never met one.
PDWT_12
AG
I think it still kind of tracks though because of how long before LOTR this stuff is occurring. Like they didn't settle in the Shire area until the beginning of the Third Age.
tallgrant
Shire reckoning years are marked from the original settlement. SR year 1 is Third Age year 1601.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's not quite true.

By virtue of contracting with the Estate, if something is mentioned in the narrative of LOTR + Appendices, they can "look into" that particular narrative or item wherever more information can be gleaned.

But, if it only exists in UT or the Silmarillion, it's off-limits. Basically, it's complicated.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which is what I said?
PatAg
AG
The Collective said:

Top YT comment when I last checked, "When Galadriel pulled out her lightsaber and said, "Wakanda forever" sent shivers up my spine. Tolkien couldn't have written anything better."
I do not like the style of this trailer at all
The Porkchop Express
AG
It definitely makes it tough to get excited when they don't say jack **** about what's going on. Give me some sort of narrative to latch onto.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is my least favorite trailer but still very hopeful.
BAP Enthusiast
ABATTBQ11 said:

The Collective said:

This show is going to be terrible. Almost every LOTR fan I have seen on nerd sites expects it to suck.
BAP Enthusiast
C@LAg said:

AmarilloBQ02 said:

We are not on Middle Earth Prime, but on Middle Earth 69, because lolz.

but the good thing is that with the sale today of the rights, Amazon can now go and license them from someone else on top of the ones they got from the Tolkien Estate.

This is exactly why it's going to be horrifically bad. I am frankly amazed the Tolkien estate even allowed any of this to happen. Why allow your series name to be attached to fan fiction?
BAP Enthusiast
The Porkchop Express said:

Galadriel looks great.

I kind of wish the hobbits weren't in it at all to be honest. It feels like that was the whole point of how crazy it was that they were so much in focus for The Hobbit and LOTR. Most people in Middle Earth didn't even know they were around, or had never met one.

Except that Galadriel is not and never was a fighter. She was so powerful she never needed to pick up a sword. That's one of the main aspects of her character.
BAP Enthusiast
PatAg said:

The Collective said:

I do not like the style of this trailer at all

The modern music is a clear sign that they missed the entire point. This trailer may be the worst one yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.