New Joker!

111,197 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
AgfromHOU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly don't see how they can top what they did without going into the comic book side of Joker

More movies like this? Yes please.

Joker sequel? Not needed.
aggie_fan13
AG
Yep. I'm hoping Matt Reeves BATMAN has a similar feel, DOESNT have to go as as dark but a more mind provoking movie is better for all
500,000ags
AG
I read Phillips took deferred compensation. He could possibly clear $100MM for this film. That's nuts.
TCTTS
AG
He had a similar deal for The Hangover and ended up making something like $70M on that movie. Dude is killing it.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I honestly don't see how they can top what they did without going into the comic book side of Joker

This guy gets it.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

He had a similar deal for The Hangover and ended up making something like $70M on that movie. Dude is killing it.

Remember that scene from his movie Roadtrip where he starts sucking on Amy Smart's toe on a bus.

The guy has come a long ways.

Steve McQueen
aggie_fan13
AG
I'm here for the gangbang
israeliag
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I would like to see a Joker sequel. The Joker painted such a compelling character arc for Joker, but still didn't quite end with him as the true anarchistic mastermind. It did end with his philosophy having gained wide support with the riots, and I'd love to see them take it one step forward from there.

But, yes - any further evolution of this story would need to start introduce more comic book stuff... specifically a counterpart vigilante. I could see this as a trilogy where part 2 is about Joker becoming the full criminal mastermind and true Gotham-level threat he's more generally known as, while introducing in the last act or epilogue Batman or Gordon as his anti-thesis. Then the third part is about the Joker's fall and defeat.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
azulAg said:

I'm here for the gangbang

Dude, you missed it.

And it was GLORIOUS.

Steve McQueen
BTHOthatguy
A modified version of Arkham Asylum?
TCTTS
AG

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/11/21/todd-phillips-sets-the-record-straight-on-those-joker-2-rumors
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Time to write off THR as credible.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
So Joker cleared a billion dollars over a week ago w/o the China market and is now the highest grossing R rated film of all time. Yet only cost a fraction of other DC movies made.

One can only hope this will translate into more comic book movies with mature content.

Considering the success of Logan, Deadpool and now Joker, the argument against withers.

Bob Iger, are you listening?

Steve McQueen
YouBet
AG
My wife tends to bucket her movie watching into comedies and Marvel / Star Wars types of movies. You know, generally fun, positive stuff. So, last night I'm scrolling through newly released movies and I casually ask her if she wants to watch a movie and I get an audible "Meh" from her because she also has to be in the right frame of mind to watch a movie, so I knew immediately she was out.

I continue to scroll through movies that I might want to watch and I run across Joker and I comment to myself under my breath:

Me: Oh, Joker's out.
Her: OH I'LL WATCH THAT!!
Me: [slowly turns to her].... Okaaay....Are you sure?
Her: Yes, I want to watch that.

Remember my frame of mind comment above....she loved the movie and I'm now scared for my safety.

On the movie itself, we thought it was really good. Phoenix was fantastic and I'm assuming will get the golden man. Two things that kind of bothered me:

1. The climatic talk show scene actually took me out of the movie a little bit. I think it's because for most of the movie he had not spoken more than a sentence or two at a time and usually was mild mannered when talking. This scene was such a divergence from that it almost felt like a different film. I get what they were doing though as this was Joker's coming out party.

2. This one is probably my F16 conspiracy theory mind coming out, but I thought Thomas Wayne's portrayal in this movie was an obvious allegory to Trump. Uber rich, bombastic guy that is an @sshole who talks down to people while simultaneously telling everyone he's their only hope and savior from the malaise of their current state of existence. I think we are so used to seeing Thomas Wayne as a philanthropic, good guy that this was really jarring to me. Thus, I thought this was yet another attempt by Hollywood to take a shot.

Oh, and I followed this up by immediately watching the Halloween 2018 sequel. I'm full up on insanity now.
AgfromHOU
AG
Birds of Prey is rated R, and not a high budget film (compared to most of these movies)
maca1028
What a brilliant film! I never thought anyone would come remotely close to Ledgers joker, I was wrong. I'm not saying that Phoenix was better, just different. They're characters were on such different ends of the spectrum that you almost can't compare the two.
I'd also agree that this doesn't need a sequel but I wouldn't be upset if Joaquin shows up in Reeves films. I know...not gonna happen.
TXAG 05
AG
Finally saw this. Thought it was good, although probably don't need to see it again. Was it wrong to be rooting for Arthur/Joker?
Brock Sampson
AG
Great movie. Really interesting concept of who the joker was before becoming the actual villain.
oragator
Yes, 6 months late to the party but finally saw this today. So much to unpack.

Goes without saying now, but Phoenix is remarkable in this.
Huge departure for Phillips from his normal fare, underrated what he pulled off.
I watched at home, I wonder how much different the experience would have been in the immersive world of a theater.
I loved the ambiguity it left in so many different places.
. Was her mother really crazy or was she railroaded by Wayne? Did any of it really even happen? If it did, is he the real joker or was it someone inspired by him (given the age difference?)

But more than anything. I loved that they finally took a comic book character in this Darker direction. I have been vocal over the years here about what a lazy shallow genre I think the comic book world it is, movie a like this could change that. It wasn't perfect for sure, but as I read through this thread, some here thought less of it after a while, I am thinking more of it actually.
AgfromHOU
AG
This movie is just a character study of mental illness and the effects it has on people. Todd Phillips only made it about Joker so that people would go see it.

Arthur's mom was really that crazy, and he wasn't even her biological kid.

There is no "real" or "inspired" Joker here in the comic book Joker sense.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Finally saw this and have mixed feelings. Joaquin Phoenix was OUT****INGSTANDING. The cinematography was incredible and the score was pretty much perfect. But the story has too many holes for me. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it.
TCTTS
AG
Junkhead said:

Finally saw this and have mixed feelings. Joaquin Phoenix was OUT****INGSTANDING. The cinematography was incredible and the score was pretty much perfect. But the story has too many holes for me. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it.

I don't knock anyone for liking this movie, and it has plenty to praise, but it is not at all a particularly smart or deep movie, as hard as it might try. So don't fret.
TCTTS
AG
Junkhead said:

I don't knock anyone for liking this movie, as it has plenty to praise, but it is not at all a particularly smart or deep movie, as hard as it might try. So don't fret.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Is this on a HBO or Showtime or Cinemax rotation yet? Looking for somewhere to watch it.
AgfromHOU
AG
It's on HBO Max, I believe
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Just saw this and it is one of the worst films I have watched all the way through. Complete waste of time. Zero investment in any character. I see what they were going for and it didn't work on any level for me. I'd like to have that time back.
spanky
AG
I watched The First Purge last night. I recommend watching more horrible movies.
cr0wbar
AG
Finally got around to this on HBO Max - fun movie, pretty heavy.

After skimming through, I think the weirdest thing about this entire thread is the 20+ pages of blank Rick Dalton posts and a C@LAG casting a hex on everyone. What's that about
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cr0wbar said:

Finally got around to this on HBO Max - fun movie, pretty heavy.

After skimming through, I think the weirdest thing about this entire thread is the 20+ pages of blank Rick Dalton posts and a C@LAG casting a hex on everyone. What's that about

I think those guys ran a script to remove old posts. There is a thread on the nerdery about it.
GoAgs92
AG
TCTTS said:

Junkhead said:

I don't knock anyone for liking this movie, as it has plenty to praise, but it is not at all a particularly smart or deep movie, as hard as it might try. So don't fret.
You are probably too old, my 18 yo son and 21 yo niece and nephew...loved it.

I haven't seen it as I am old AF.
MROD92
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Just saw this and it is one of the worst films I have watched all the way through. Complete waste of time. Zero investment in any character. I see what they were going for and it didn't work on any level for me. I'd like to have that time back.

Finally watched last night. You summarized my experience
GoAgs92
AG
Finally saw this over the weekend, it was great.

I think him getting off all of his meds is what allowed him to speak on the talk show.

In before " I just saw Heat" joke.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Since you bumped. Great film. Never ****ing watching that **** again.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Obviously a polarizing movie. I actually liked it. Phoenix is the best Joker I've seen (Phoenix, Ledger, Nicholson, Romero are my best to least best rankings).

I thought the Wayne parents were a little older than they should have been.

I'd be interested in a sequel.
13B
Leto?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.