New Joker!

111,194 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty polarizing movie I guess. Most of these critics think it was incredible, the Time Magazine critic absolutely hated it.
Liquid Wrench
I've made it a personal rule not to read entertainment reviews from outlets that are primarily political. Those kinds of writers are always reading their own ideological worldviews into the works of others and trying to be "provocative."
Chase McGuire
Duncan Idaho
Guess I am watching "king of comedy" some time in the next few weeks.
Al Bula
AG
I think this looks interesting and would not even know what the "critics" opinion of this movie is if I didn't browse texags. Movie reviewers are insufferable, and it blows my mind that being a critic is a profession. Can we automate or outsource film critics? Because that would be awesome and hilarious.
scoop12
AG
As much as I wanna see this movie, I am a little concerned about the wrong person watching this and getting the wrong kind of motivation. Sounds like some of the critics echo that as well.
aggie_fan13
AG
crazy people will always find a way to justify their motivations. but i understand your concern given how dimwitted society is
Aggie_Journalist
AG
scoop12 said:

As much as I wanna see this movie, I am a little concerned about the wrong person watching this and getting the wrong kind of motivation. Sounds like some of the critics echo that as well.

I feel the same concerns after reading a bit more about this movie. It borderline makes me not want to watch Joker, and I'd really been looking forward to this one.
TCTTS
AG
Shife said:

I think this looks interesting and would not even know what the "critics" opinion of this movie is if I didn't browse texags. Movie reviewers are insufferable, and it blows my mind that being a critic is a profession. Can we automate or outsource film critics? Because that would be awesome and hilarious.
You're reading the wrong critics if this is your only opinion of critics.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
scoop12 said:

I agree that crazy people are going to do what they do, but definitely don't need this guy all over again.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Shife said:

You're reading the wrong critics if this is your only opinion of critics.
No offense, TC, but I would love to read a AI movie critic for a year. can't be any worse than what I see 90% of the time. Or make it illegal for all critics to use phrases like

"pitch-perfect"
"hit every note"
"worthy addition"

TCTTS
AG
The key is finding two or three you like/trust and basically just sticking with them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I know that's your biz more or less, but I don't think I've ever read a review that made me want to go see a movie - it's either the trailer or word of mouth from friends. I'll shut up now, I'm not really bringing anything to this discussion.
mazag08
AG
Critics provide nothing to society. And half the time, they know less than the average person about the topic at hand.

The worst thing about critics is that they inspired the culture that created Yelp, one of the pits of humanity.
mazag08
AG
ATM1876 said:

mazag08 said:

Critics provide nothing to society. And half the time, they know less than the average person about the topic at hand.
What a pitch-perfect example of irony at its finest and a worthy addition to this discussion of the new movie, Joker. You certainly managed to hit every note in spite of the brevity of your ignorance.

You're welcome.
PatAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I know that's your biz more or less, but I don't think I've ever read a review that made me want to go see a movie - it's either the trailer or word of mouth from friends. I'll shut up now, I'm not really bringing anything to this discussion.
Most critic reviews aren't for people like you. They are for people who are incapable of making decisions on their own.
As TC said, the key is to just keep reading, and make note anytime you read one that you find worthy.
Joseph Parrish
AG
PatAg said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Most critic reviews aren't for people like you. They are for people who are incapable of making decisions on their own.
As TC said, the key is to just keep reading, and make note anytime you read one that you find worthy.
Yeah, and also if you're one of the people that keeps coming back and checking this thread...you already know you want to see the movie.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Criticism is just another profession that's been drastically transformed by the internet. They're not writing for a regular built-in readership anymore; they're writing in competition with each other to get quoted, retweeted, etc. That results in a kind of cartoonish hyperbole that isn't helpful to people trying to make their own consumer decisions.

After that, I think a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier reviewers are just angling for access to celebrities and insider events.

I honestly trust posters here and on one or two other forums more than I rely on any published reviews.

Bruce Almighty
AG
The problem with film criticism in the Internet era is that there's hundreds of them. Nobody pays attention to an individual critic anymore, instead, people click on rotten tomatoes and equate some percentage score to every critic without actually reading anything any critic says. If a film gets a high score, somebody sees that movie and hates it, then all critics are idiots. The thing is, most people agree with the critic consensus the majority of the time.
TCTTS
AG
Wow...

http://collider.com/joker-wins-venice-film-festival-top-award/
bearamedic99
AG
Stop I can only get so erect /Archermeme
AgfromHOU
AG
When this film was announced I was like wtf no

When Joaquin Phoenix agreed to be Joker I was like, ok, but still no

After trailer 1 I'm like *Jack Nicholson nodding.gif*

After winning this award I'm like *AndySambergJIMP.gif*
bearamedic99
AG
I'm dumb. Would someone more texags savvy make this video show up please?

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelmemes/comments/d14re8/i_love_both_actors_btw/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
AgfromHOU
AG
There are a few leaked scenes on the DCEU leaks subreddit. This movie is intense and super creepy af.
spanky
AG
Wow, please let this hype be legit
aggie_fan13
AG
Psych thrillers >
spanky
AG
So has the same character role ever won an Oscar more than once? I'm sure there are some historical figure roles that have, right?
Liquid Wrench
Maybe from Shakespeare?

*Looks like two different Henry V and Henry VIII from history have been part of multiple nominations, but not multiple wins.
Bing Crosby was nominated twice as Father Chuck O'Malley, winning the first time.
h1ag
AG
Vito Corleone. Brando and DeNiro both won.
wangus12
AG
mazag08 said:

The worst thing about critics is that they inspired the culture that created Yelp, one of the pits of humanity.
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.
p-townag
AG
Ratatouille
TCTTS
AG
Starting to see a lot more reactions/reviews like this one...

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/09/12/tiff-2019-review-joker
rhutton125
AG
I've hesitated to say anything because I don't want to be "that guy" and come rain on peoples' parade. But even if the movie had 100% across the board, I'm still not sure I'd go see it. It just sounds depressing. So many tweets about being disturbed or shaken by it after viewing. Just not my cup of tea at all. There's a reason I still haven't seen Schindler's List, for example.

Still, if it's legitimately good, I'm glad it exists. One filmmaker having a vision and being allowed to see that to fruition is pretty cool. Definitely different than the franchise-building and universe-connecting push we've seen for so many years now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.