New Joker!

111,148 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Or, maybe this "re-imagining" takes place in a world with the original Batman tv-show?
TCTTS
AG
That's kind of what I was thinking, but I reeeaaallly hope that's not the case. If Phoenix's Joker is *literally*, in-universe, inspired by Romero's Joker... ugh. That said, because Thomas Wayne is an actual person in this universe, I don't see how that could even be possible.

At this point, it's either a gritty, early-80s nod to / "remake" of the original '60s Batman television show (where Romero was 20 years older than West, so maybe that checks out, but then how would there be a Batmobile before a young Wayne ever becomes Batman?), or this iteration of the Batmobile is nothing more than split-second background gag. Maybe there's another scenario for its inclusion, but I can't possibly imagine what it would be, which is why I'm going with the latter option - that this in all likelihood is simply a quick, jokey wink/nod kind of thing.
PatAg
AG
Mabel Choate said:

PatAg said:

Macarthur said:

ChiliBeans said:

I have really mixed feelings about this. Like, it will be great or disastrous, but nothing in between.
Phoenix is a really good actor so I think it has a very good chance of being great.
Jared Leto is also a good actor
Sure. Putting him in the same class as Phoenix is absurd
Disagree
Legacy Work Spaces
I'm not the comic book or DC knowledgeable guy some of you are but is this movie going to feed into another Batman film? Or is it completely a stand alone origin film with no sign of Batman in it or any sequels?
Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
Phat32
AG
Joker without Batman is like Venom without Spiderman
TCTTS
AG
As of now, it sounds like it's 100% its own thing. Warner Bros. *does* have a new Batman franchise/iteration coming in 2020, but all signs point to that being it's own thing as well. That iteration MIGHT somehow connect to this Joker movie, but there has been absolutely no indication that they're crossing over, that the directors of each have even shared notes, etc. And look, if WB wants THREE separate universes (including the DCEU as well), more power to them. Just be CLEAR about it, which they are decidedly not being at the moment.
bearamedic99
AG
oh yeah? Have they announced the new Bat actor?
Legacy Work Spaces
TCTTS said:

As of now, it sounds like it's 100% its own thing. Warner Bros. *does* have a new Batman franchise/iteration coming in 2020, but all signs point to that being it's own thing as well. That iteration MIGHT somehow connect to this Joker movie, but there has been absolutely no indication that they're crossing over, that the directors of each have even shared notes, etc. And look, if WB wants THREE separate universes (including the DCEU as well), more power to them. Just be CLEAR about it, which they are decidedly not being at the moment.
Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
TCTTS
AG
Not yet. Writer/director Matt Reeves (the last two Planet of the Apes movies) delivered his first draft of the script to Warner Bros. last month, they apparently loved it, and he's currently working on the rewrite. Once that is complete, I imagine they'll then go out to actors. Filming is tentatively set to start around late spring/early summer 2019, for a release at some point in 2020, so casting will almost assuredly be announced either later this year or early next.

All we know of the story so far is that this iteration is set to begin with a Batman already fighting crime, i.e. not an origin story (but not an "older" Batman either), and that it will lean more into the detective/noir aspects than previous theatrical versions.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, so as to not derail this thread, and because it appears as if quite a few folks may not even know it's in development, let me start a new thread just for that movie...
TCTTS
AG
I'd watch a Shea Whigham/Bill Hunt early-'80s buddy cop thriller even without the Joker involved. Maybe even especially without the Joker involved. That they're in this, though, as a detective duo on the hunt, is just icing on the cake...

TCTTS
AG
Dro07
AG
Nice! So Gotham with a bigger budget
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BpxxiwEh_9n
TCTTS
AG
Phat32
AG
Not sure we've ever seen the Joker run? Seems like he always has things going according to his plan, not someone else's. Interesting.
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

If there's one thing I gather from this photo, it's Phoenix's version of the Joker effing hates fruits and vegetables.
TCTTS
AG
Cancelled
AG
I think Ledger exhausted the "look at me...I got so invested in the joker role" bit. RIP.

That said he did a great job, but it seems to me that Leaf is hamming this up big time.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, I talked to someone last night who has seen actual footage and they were RAVING about this movie. Said it's very Taxi Driver/Falling Down-esque. Said Joaquin looks to be on another level, and that the cinematography is gorgeous; vibrant and creepy and authentically '80s. Based on this person's enthusiasm alone - someone who's usually not one to get this giddy - I think we could actually be in for something pretty special come October.
Noblemen06
AG
bearamedic99
AG
please don't tease me and get my hopes up.

I'm not sure if this movie should've been made. we definitely do not need a joker origin story.

But I enjoy the actor and have hopes of an enjoyable movie.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BvUvx21J04V
Render
AG
No offense TC, but you say that about *every* movie! (This one does look good, though.)
TCTTS
AG
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever said, essentially, "I know someone who's seen footage, and they say [movie x] looks awesome" this early out. Simply because it hardly ever happens, and I only report back about half the times it does. I'm not saying for a fact that the movie will be good. There's a distinction. I'm just saying I know someone who's seen a decent chunk of footage - someone who usually doesn't get excited for this sort thing - but said it looked way better than he/she expected. I'm just the messenger. I'm not making any kind of a judgment call myself.
TCTTS
AG
Either way, it's sounding more and more like the fist trailer is debuting next month. Then we'll all at least be on the same page.
bearamedic99
AG
TCTTS said:

Either way, it's sounding more and more like the fist trailer is debuting next month. Then we'll all at least be on the same page.

Fist trailer?

Sounds a little dirty
TCTTS
AG
I could of course be wrong, but I'm betting we get the trailer NEXT WEEK for two reasons...

1) CinemaCon begins Monday in Vegas. Every year, this is where studios premiere footage for the next year so of movies to theater owners and press. Basically, it's like an ultra-exclusive version of ComicCon where stars, execs, and filmmakers are flown in to make presentations. premiere footage, etc. While we get footage descriptions from the press covering the event, the footage itself usually isn't shown to the public. Joker footage will no doubt screen as well, and usually wouldn't make it online if not for...

2) Shazam! being in theaters next Thursday. Seeing as Joker is WB's next DC movie after Shazam!, this seems like the perfect opportunity to debut the first trailer.

If not next week, then we'll almost assuredly see it with Endgame the last week of April, but next week just makes too much sense. We'll see, though.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. And further evidence we might just get that trailer this week...
TCTTS
AG
Nice!
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

https://instagr.am/p/BvUvx21J04V
photo taken by Todd Phillips of Phoenix being forced to watch The Justice League to drive him mad in preparation for his role of The Joker
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
perhaps im in the minority, but do we need a joker origin? I mean i like the character in small doses but seeing him behind the scenes seems too much. Am I going to see him cooking breakfast and paying his electrictiy bill and such?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.