New Joker!

111,145 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
evan_aggie said:

I approached this movies with some preconceived expectations based off of a lot of responses on the previous two pages.

I have to say though, I'm not really sure what other plot development you want.

you slowly find out, after initially thinking that maybe TW was his father, that his mother was crazy, adopted a kid, had an abusive bf, who likely kicked in the boys skull causing his condition. Plus, the one real relationship with a normal person you think he may have is actually all bogus

I think you are more disappointed that there weren't other character interactions that told at a pace that made this feel more like a Nolan movie? It centers around 1 person...maybe 2.

I actually think they left it ambiguous as whether or not Wayne was his father.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Artist controversy aside (Gary Glitter), did anyone else find the music for the staircase scene out of place?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was probably my favorite soundtrack choice.
MBAR
AG
evan_aggie said:

I approached this movies with some preconceived expectations based off of a lot of responses on the previous two pages.

I have to say though, I'm not really sure what other plot development you want.

you slowly find out, after initially thinking that maybe TW was his father, that his mother was crazy, adopted a kid, had an abusive bf, who likely kicked in the boys skull causing his condition. Plus, the one real relationship with a normal person you think he may have is actually all bogus

I think you are more disappointed that there weren't other character interactions that told at a pace that made this feel more like a Nolan movie? It centers around 1 person...maybe 2.
No, I didn't need other people sharing the stage. For instance I thought Ad Astra was fine and that was 2+ hours of noting but Brad Pitt.

Let me put it to you this way. If you get an average performance from the lead in thsi movie is it memorable in an way?
evan_aggie
AG
Hard to say...the role definitely needed a strong actor. Though, I do think more then Phoenix could have pulled it off.

Some of those dance/contortion scenes reminded me off Silence of the Lambs.
TV Casualty
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Artist controversy aside (Gary Glitter), did anyone else find the music for the staircase scene out of place?

I took it as that was the song playing in his head at that moment. Part of his day dream fantasy while revealing his new identity.
NASAg03
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Would love to see this as a full movie, a la The Boys.
Phat32
AG
The good:
- JP was fantastic with the script he was given
- The scene where he rises on top of the cop car at the end is just fantastic
- Easter Egg when he is riding in the cop car - too similar to Ledger's Joker shot hanging out of the car to be an accident

The bad:
- I don't really like the origin story of a normal guy with mental illness becoming the Joker - the best part of TDK's Joker is that he appears out of thin air
- Do we need to see the Waynes shot again?
- Pretty damn slow and dark

Overall, it was a fantastic film. Just wish it had a little more actual Joker.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just passed $200M domestic.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
It's been 24 hours since I've seen it and I still can't tell whether it was good or bad.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
InternetFan02
AG
Saw it this evening in a packed theater in west texas. I wanted to pre-screen it for my 14 year old son. I don't think he will have a problem with it but I'm not sure he'll enjoy it like he thinks he will.

Just an outstanding movie experience and amazing performance. He's the front runner.

The ending didn't work for me as much as the build up to it.

Didn't feel like a comic book movie at all. Change the title to Arthur and remove other DC references and it's still a great movie that I would love to watch and my son would ignore. And it would make 1/4 the money.
TCTTS
AG
A really good, spot-on piece...

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/fight-club-is-best-joker-movie-1202179222/
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

A really good, spot-on piece...

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/fight-club-is-best-joker-movie-1202179222/

Lol pretty sure this is the one we discussed above. And I agree.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not only that, it's on pace to surpass both Venom and Logan domestically within this week, both of which were huge successes. (And with twice the budget.)

Venom has the edge internationally only because of China (and probably its PG-13 rating), but Joker could potentially catch it worldwide if it keeps up like this.
aggie_fan13
AG
Cyprian
AG
Saw it, and...

I kept thinking of how this has a Breaking Bad feel to it. The gradual descent of someone you almost sympathize with at first, who between a series of unfortunate circumstances, and just the right number of bad choices, and eventually the character becomes something truly evil at the end

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same.
Another Doug
AG
Batman (89) - A joker that acted like Jack Nicholson was really cool
Dark Knight - Heath Ledger does a great job acting like the joker
Joker - Man that dude is crazy and I am afraid of him

Phoenix wins.

Fantastic movie, its not trying to be like fight club, and acting crazy isn't that easy. A lot of movies about crazy people that were terrible acting or just relied on a gimmicks or limited screen time. This was just 2 hours of JP selling the craziness.

Also, fantastic trailer in retrospect. Gives you the feel of the movie, without spoiling much of anything
Batzarro
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Phoenix wins.

Fantastic movie, its not trying to be like fight club, and acting crazy isn't that easy. A lot of movies about crazy people that were terrible acting or just relied on a gimmicks or limited screen time. This was just 2 hours of JP selling the craziness.

Also, fantastic trailer in retrospect. Gives you the feel of the movie, without spoiling much of anything

I like how you completely ignore the Jared Leto joker.
Madmarttigan
AG
That has pretty much been deleted from everyone's list. It's like blocking out Eisenbergs Lex luther.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Batzarro said:

Beware of Doug said:

Phoenix wins.

I like how you completely ignore the Jared Leto joker.
Jared what now? Who?
BTHOthatguy
Just saw it. I get why some might not like it. But even if you hated it, I don't get how anybody could leave thinking the movie wasn't thought provoking. "Boring". Really?

Like it or hate it the movie makes you feel something. Isn't that what good art is supposed to do?
BTHOthatguy
Also Martin Scorsese might want to walk back his "cinema" comments.
aggie_fan13
AG
i dont think you can accurately compare joker or the dark knight trilogy to cliche formula marvel movies
bangobango
AG
It's probably going to be the highest grossing r movie of all time before it's done. It's a good film. May not be to everybody's taste, but it's a good movie.
AquaCasaAg
AG
I really enjoyed it but it had multiple cringeworthy moments. When he was on stage laughing at the comedy club I had to put my fingers in my ears. The 12 year old inside of me was running for the door.

That is what makes it a good movie, you feel something. You may not enjoy the feeling but you weren't supposed to. Whether or not you are okay with feeling discomfort dictates whether you enjoyed it or not.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/youve-got-stop-jared-leto-fumed-new-joker-movie-1247699
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guy is coming off like a scorned ex. It's just sad.
TCTTS
AG
Yep.
spanky
AG
Loved it. My fav joker portrayal by far
Another Doug
AG
Eh, I would be there are two sides to this story. I'm sure he was being strung along the entire time. Kinda like saying David Letterman was acting like a scorned ex .

Leto is a good actor too, he had the misfortune of being in a terrible movie so no matter what he did it would seem bad.
Bobcat06
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Eh, I would be there are two sides to this story. I'm sure he was being strung along the entire time. Kinda like saying David Letterman was acting like a scorned ex .

Leto is a good actor too, he had the misfortune of being in a terrible movie so no matter what he did it would seem bad.
Suicide Squad was a decent movie.

It had good moments and bad moments. Leto's part was one of the bad moments.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aggie_fan13
AG
From what I read it was leto. He also did some weird **** behind the scenes, a dead pig and gabe will smith bullets

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.