New Joker!

110,731 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08
AG
I...

Dunno.

Was expecting more of a Heath Ledger vibe.
bigcat22
AG
Is this a screen test or the final look
Bruce Almighty
AG
bigcat22 said:

Is this a screen test or the final look

I think this will be an early version of his makeup and he'll become something more sinister looking later in the movie, kinda like Peter Parker's Spider-Man sweat pants costume he had on when he was fighting Macho Man.
Phat32
AG
Sure hope so. Looks cartoony.
Liquid Wrench
I have really mixed feelings about this. Like, it will be great or disastrous, but nothing in between.
shaynew1
AG
Poor ol dc.

I went from six to midnight the first time I heard ledgers people will die audio tease.

Now I'm just puzzled
Macarthur
ChiliBeans said:

I have really mixed feelings about this. Like, it will be great or disastrous, but nothing in between.
Phoenix is a really good actor so I think it has a very good chance of being great.
John Matrix
AG
I could be wrong, but there's something about this film that's intriguing. Joaquin Phoenix has turned down several Comic Book films before, and he picked this one. I've got to think there's more going on under the hood here than many think for him to sign on.
Silky Johnston
The Joker should not have an origin story.
Mathguy64
AG
That looks like a drunk clown that got into a fight at a bar.
Humorous Username
AG
That has to be the "First time being the Joker" makeup.

I'm sure it will change as his character gets older in the film.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Reminds me of Bill Murray in Quick Change

canadiaggie
AG
mazag08 said:

I...

Dunno.

Was expecting more of a Heath Ledger vibe.

They need to do something traditional but still as far removed from Ledger as possible. All due respect for him but the role has been poisoned because he's been overly immortalized.
canadiaggie
AG
Silky Johnston said:

The Joker should not have an origin story.

The Killing Joke is one of the best comic one shots ever.
Liquid Wrench
Nice reference.
boy09
AG
shaynew1 said:

Now I'm just puzzled
Glad i'm not the only one. Everyone of Reddit is raving about how great it looks. But I just really don't know what to think...
SeattleAgJr
1. Yes Killing Joke is great.

2. This looks like crap.

3. That said, this origin story could be him as a mischievous/capricious Joker prior to his first encounter with Batman, at which point he would later become homicidal scarred Joker.
BCG Disciple
AG
Leaked origin story clip.

SeattleAgJr
OK I like both of these.

swimmerbabe11
Nothing about this looks good.
canadiaggie
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

OK I like both of these.

Very John Gacy. I like it, creepy.
Quad Dog
AG
DC needs to figure out that less is more here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MUCH better.
AustinAg2K
I'm a firm believer DC needs to utilize the rest of Batman's rogue gallery, and retire The Joker from movies for about 15 years. Heath Ledger ruined the role for others. Batman has so many other great villains, I don't understand why DC doesn't try to utilize them. It could really differentiate them from Marvel, too. Marvel hasn't really had great villains.
YouBet
AG
I often hear the refrain of DC needing to use more of the rogue gallery around Batman but who do y'all like there?

I guess Ive always thought it was really weak granted I haven't read as much Batman as I'm sure the folks saying that have. I always thought the Penguin, Riddler, and Scarecrow were punching bag level villians.

I assume y'all are talking about ones that arrived on the scene after these more "classic" villians. Killer Croc would take it up a notch and actually introduce a meta-human against him. Who else?
powerbelly
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I'm a firm believer DC needs to utilize the rest of Batman's rogue gallery, and retire The Joker from movies for about 15 years. Heath Ledger ruined the role for others. Batman has so many other great villains, I don't understand why DC doesn't try to utilize them. It could really differentiate them from Marvel, too. Marvel hasn't really had great villains.
There aren't that many great characters to use. The Joker if one of the few interesting comic book villains.
Humorous Username
AG
I would say Clayface, but I think that Sandman's turn in Spider-Man 3 probably ruined shapeshifter for awhile.
The Collective
AG
They are going to **** this up, aren't they?
AgfromHOU
AG
Not DCEU, so probably not
AustinAg2K
If you highlight the detective side of Batman, then I think it makes The Penguin and The Riddler much stronger villians. Show The Penguin as the boss at the head of Gotham's crime syndicate, and make the movie more of mafia movie. Don't make him an actual Penguin, or give him a Penguin army. Play him like a mob boss. For The Riddler, I think you could have some great scenes where Batman has to work his way through a guantlet of death traps. Don't just make The Riddler a comic vehicle. Play on his intelligence. You could make a decent horror movie with The Scarecrow as your lead villian.

If you're just going to have Batman punch his way through everything, then it limits your ability to have interesting stories with his villians. However, if you tailor the movie more to the villians style, it would give you a Batman movie that hasn't been done before.
Legacy Work Spaces
Joker does seem like the villain that strikes as the most "possibly realistic". Penguin to me is so outlandish as a villain I've always had a hard time taking the role or movie seriously.

I'm also a fan of the idea of making the whole Batman a more realistic concept in itself. (Although he already more realistic than other DC super heroes) . In this aspect I'd maybe like to see it go outside the box more with a more detective type approach (as mentioned before by others on the board). Maybe the villain should be a serial killer taking Gotham by storm and Batman needed to solve that and apprehend him. Maybe DC doesn't need to rely on old reliables from the comics.
AustinAg2K
Just to be clear, I do think the Joker is the best villian in all of comics. I just feel like for movies, he's been done. At this time, I'm not sure what else can be added/ improved on. I'd be fine with them introducing a new villian, too. Just get away from the Joker for a while and let the world grow.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

If you highlight the detective side of Batman,
That's something the movies haven't done particularly well, imo. They focus so much on the violence and brooding that they gloss over some of the investigative aspects of the character. He could be an American James Bond; he doesn't have to always be moody and withdrawn, or putting on a silly drunk act for the public.

But it takes a different kind of writer to produce a good story about the infiltration/takedown of a crime ring rather than an emotional one on one fight.
Phat32
AG
"Not sure if you made it loud enough sir!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.