New Joker!

111,166 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems they've changed their tune a bit on the potential of a sequel...

https://www.slashfilm.com/joker-sequel-possible/
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B3UuGyMnczj
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Seems they've changed their tune a bit on the potential of a sequel...

https://www.slashfilm.com/joker-sequel-possible/
No chance we get an older Hannibal Lecter type Joker in a jail-cell in the upcoming Reeves/Pattinson Batman series, right?
aggie_fan13
AG
There was an interview with Phillips and Phoenix and they both lean to no sequel especially with batman in it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MBAR
AG
ATM1876 said:

A great read comparing Fight Club and Joker:
Quote:

Both films tell broadly allegorical stories about middle-aged white guys who grow so isolated from the world around them (and so disenfranchised from themselves) that they disassociate altogether, and both films entertain violence as a possible road towards personal agency. But where "Fight Club" confronts the toxicities of its time, "Joker" simply wallows in them.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/fight-club-is-best-joker-movie-1202179222/
Thats a fantastic article. And what it really hammers home is the expectations game that Phillips played. No one made him set the bar at Taxi Driver or King of Comedy. As a stand alone film that is simply telling the origin of the Joker, I'm wiling to be a lot more forgiving and accepting. But he came out and spoke like his film had something to say and I'm sorry but its a half ass attempt at that.

As a standard comic book movie, I like this film more. Even then, I don't think its nearly as good as Logan, for instance. But as a film that is trying to convey deeper meaning, it 100% fails.
Living Legend
AG
azulAg said:

phoenix did a great job , that being said ledger still owns this character

I don't think it's a fair comparison, bc Joaquin had a lot more screen time, but I think Joaquin had a much better performance.

He completely transformed into another person.
aggie_fan13
AG
I agree with you completely, but I didn't see joker the character as much as a mentally ill guy
Sex Panther
AG
azulAg said:

I agree with you completely, but I didn't see joker the character as much as a mentally ill guy

Agree with this. It was a great performance, but it was a portrayal of a mentally ill person. Ledger is still the definitive Joker. Although I don't think you can really even compare the two as the Joker without Batman just isn't really the Joker.

Not a knock on the movie or Phoenix. They were both great, and I enjoyed this experiment and hope we see more risks like this taken.
Sex Panther
AG
Living Legend said:

azulAg said:

phoenix did a great job , that being said ledger still owns this character

I don't think it's a fair comparison, bc Joaquin had a lot more screen time, but I think Joaquin had a much better performance.

He completely transformed into another person.

You didn't think Ledger completely transformed into another person? I thought it was way more of a transformation than Phoenix... This was the gay cowboy and bad boy with a heart of gold from Ten Things I Hate About You
AggieBand2004
AG
This is a movie about his road to BECOMING Joker. We shouldn't expect to see the full-fledged Joker, much less a seasoned, experienced version of him.
aggie_fan13
AG
i totally get that but even at the end when he becomes joker i still didnt see him as the joker, more like a mental guy in cosplay
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I couldn't imagine the version we got going on to be the Joker that takes on Batman, etc, even 15 years from now or whatever.
aggie_fan13
AG
yea philips stated he thinks full fledged batman would wipe him out. from the trailer i thought it seemed arthur would organize and cause alot of chaos, but most if not all of it was due to good timing and winging it. no planning whatsoever
Sex Panther
AG
Sidebar...

Is there any scenario whatsoever that sees Leto return as the Joker? Does he have any screen time in Birds of Prey? I don't think anyone cares to see more of that version, but what if Birds of Prey is a huge hit, or people want more Harley? They would just never have Mistah J and her again?
aggie_fan13
AG
i dont think hes involved in suicide squad part 2, neither is will smith apparently
TCTTS
AG
There were set photos a few months back from Birds of Prey that featured Leto's version of the Joker, but it didn't look to be Leto in the role. The Joker was kicking her out of their apartment or something, throwing her clothes down on the sidewalk from the apartment window, except it looked to be shot in such a way that you don't really see his face. So it's likely some super quick flashback or something with the character, but not Leto, if that makes sense...
TCTTS
AG
Found the pics...

TCTTS
AG
I don't know what this mean for the larger picture, though. I'm hoping it's just some quick thing and the last we ever see of that version of the character. We know he's not in Gunn's version, so hopefully this is goodbye forever.
Sex Panther
AG
Makes sense and I can definitely picture it
AgfromHOU
AG
Will Smith had scheduling conflicts but he's still Deadshot.
Adam87inSA
AG
Just saw the movie. It was a quite literal descent into insanity. It could hardly be more dark and pessimistic.

Preferred Ledger's Joker. There's no topping that.

But Phoenix was convincing. Horrifyingly convincing.

And the undertones of practicality rooting for outright widespread social violence is, to put it mildly, enough to make one's skin crawl.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Adam87inSA
AG
azulAg said:

By the time it ended I was ready to leave, i felt uncomfortable and wanted sunlight. Very dark and nihilistic
Same.
Living Legend
AG
Ledger didn't make the transformation the Joaquin did in my opinion. Joaquin has a full blown transformation, down to his physicality.
Living Legend
AG
I honestly believe if Ledger was alive today, his performance wouldn't be as iconic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Username checks out...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Living Legend said:

Ledger didn't make the transformation the Joaquin did in my opinion. Joaquin has a full blown transformation, down to his physicality.
You may need to give TDK a rewatch, and really look at what Ledger is doing. His hunched shoulders, the thing he does with his lips. And I mean... the voice. The laugh.
Punked Shank
AG
Is the TDK streaming on any services? I want to give it an rewatch
Bones08
AG
Ledger and Phoenix were both great, but I gotta give best Joker to Leto. His ability to subtly portray Joker as a Damaged individual was outstanding.
TCTTS
AG
This thread is officially off the rails. Ledger didn't make the transition Phoenix did? Are you kidding me???
aggie_fan13
AG
Different takes on different roles. Ledger still kinG. JP is number 2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bones08 said:

Ledger and Phoenix were both great, but I gotta give best Joker to Leto. He ability to subtlety portray Joker as a Damaged individual was outstanding.
He also wore grills like the rappers do. He was a pretty cool guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.