New Joker!

111,178 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, Leto would send dead rats and used condoms and stuff to his co-stars. Very weird.

Suicide Squad is an awful movie but boy is it entertaining.

"This is Katana. Don't mess with her. Her soul steals the souls of its victims." Ok
aggie_fan13
AG
Needed more jai courtney less of the random bull**** lines
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On track to beat Deadpool to become the highest-grossing R film of all time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-joker-become-top-grossing-r-rated-pic-all-time-1248949
samurai_science
Best movie I have seen in years.

Tobias Funke
AG
Well that was a trip.

Overall I really enjoyed...(enjoyed?)... it. Probably not the right word. I appreciated it.

This movie was compelling and more than a couple times I caught myself with my hand over my mouth and my eyes wide. That feels like a cliche but it happened. That **** was dark.

I wish they would have shown the guy in the clown mask follow the Wayne family into the alley and then cut away, leaving it at that. Would have landed much harder.

Ok I know this is a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway-
The final scene, in the asylum. Somebody explain that to me. The time frame of it, the bloody footprints, the cartoony running back and forth. For whatever reason, that scene had me like "hold on, what?"
_lefraud_
AG
Just showing he escapes after being arrested?
TCTTS
AG
CapAmr05
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Ok I know this is a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway-
The final scene, in the asylum. Somebody explain that to me. The time frame of it, the bloody footprints, the cartoony running back and forth. For whatever reason, that scene had me like "hold on, what?"

Impression I tookthe bloody footprints meant he murdered the interviewer/case worker who was with him questioning him in the asylum ... and then was being chased back and forth by one of the orderlies at the end of the hallway.

Could be wrong, only saw it once so far. Didn't expect to like it, but I was really impressed by it.
samurai_science
Joker is a Cinematic Rorschach Test.

The discussion it has inspired is phenomenal.
Post removed:
by user
spanky
AG
They were showing that he was there and not force projecting
Tobias Funke
AG
I said I knew it was a dumb question.

I guess I mostly wasn't sure how far in the future that was supposed to be, and it wasn't clear if that was supposed to show him escaping or just causing chaos.
I also don't know anything about Batman/Joker besides what was in the DK trilogy, so maybe it's common knowledge that Joker was in an insane asylum for a period of time?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is on track to outprofit Infinity War.
Complete Idiot
Seeing it tonight
ScottishFire
AG
Top Grossing R Movie of all time (Worldwide)
Ryan Reynolds responds:

AgfromHOU
AG
Just saw it tonight. It was really good. Phoenix was incredible. The fake girlfriend part was the turning point for me. It's when I no longer felt bad for him. I didn't need to see the Wayne's die again, but the shot of Bruce standing over them was kinda cool.
Complete Idiot
AgfromHOU said:

Just saw it tonight. It was really good. Phoenix was incredible. The fake girlfriend part was the turning point for me. It's when I no longer felt bad for him. I didn't need to see the Wayne's die again, but the shot of Bruce standing over them was kinda cool.
A Super Rat ran by in the background behind Bruce in that scene.
AgfromHOU
AG
Call in the super cats
TennAg
Beware of Doug said:

Eh, I would be there are two sides to this story. I'm sure he was being strung along the entire time. Kinda like saying David Letterman was acting like a scorned ex .

Leto is a good actor too, he had the misfortune of being in a terrible movie so no matter what he did it would seem bad.

Yes that movie was bad, but man I thought he was horrible. Definitely was trying way too hard and he had no sense of nuance. It was pretty ridiculous. As soon as I saw the tattoos I hated him in that role.
rhutton125
AG
September / October seems to be a prime spot for comic book releases now. Suicide Squad, Venom and now Joker have made a killing in this spot. Joker, for example, just jumped back up to #1 in its 4th(?) weekend. You can reign for about a month straight, mostly unchallenged.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$1B is in play.
Bobcat06
AG
Suicide Squad was released August 5th, in a "last blockbuster of the summer" position. Similar to Guardians of the Galaxy.
rhutton125
AG
Good catch! I just remember it still racking up ~$10M a weekend in September, but I could be off on that. Either way, soft competition for a month for the most part.
AgfromHOU
AG
The next Suicide Squad movie comes out in August as well. It should print money.
Liquid Wrench
rhutton125 said:

September / October seems to be a prime spot for comic book releases now. Suicide Squad, Venom and now Joker have made a killing in this spot. Joker, for example, just jumped back up to #1 in its 4th(?) weekend. You can reign for about a month straight, mostly unchallenged.
Yeah, I just saw some list the other day and was surprised how much Venom made, considering all the negative online brigading attempts to trash it before it was ever released.
ATM9000
AG
Finally got around to seeing this. Really well done... absolutely zero real reason to tie it to the Batman universe other than for box office traffic. I think that's real underlying reason why some people seem frustrated with aspects of the story. I loved the story but found it way too heavy to be associated with the Batman universe.

I think it makes the story of Batman heavier while equally making the movie itself maybe not as heavy as the subject matter actually is.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
One of the best comics associated films I've ever seen. Tremendous.

If Phoenix doesn't deserve an Oscar for this then Geezus, who does?
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
ATM9000
AG
Thinking more about the movie, I really do wish they just did it not as part of Batman. I was torn on it yesterday, but I think it captures many people's experience with mental illness really appropriately.

2 aspects on the film I loved is there is nearly zero sort of empathy sets in it... there's no relationship piece where Arthur has a pet or kid he has a bond with or whatever other lazy thing a lot of movies do to force audience empathy. You have to do the work as a viewer to find it.

Which brings me to my 2nd point: every single one of his formative moments are combative... most violent but some not. And you could argue that it is because the other side of it just didn't do the work or give that extra thought to understand the situation they were truly dealing with in the moment except for maybe the dwarf at the end and he only did so because he was in a corner.

It a heavy and complex story too big for a comic book universe in my opinion... but I still found it fantastic.
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314
AG
Finally saw this over the weekend.

Easily the best non-Marvel comic-affiliated film I've seen since TDK series.

Phoenix does an amazing job portraying a character that's never had an 'origin' on film. They managed to give Joker some humanity (at least initially). It was bold, but I think they did it well. It appeals to the complicated "moral web" of shows like Breaking Bad...with some dashes of a mob film. You have some sympathy...then things go off the rails quickly...and...wow.

I would love to see "Phoenix Joker" in the Batman universe. Doesn't sound like that will happen, but this was way better than anything Batman-related since TDK. Much more real. I can see why it's resonating with audiences.

And Phoenix is simply a damn great actor.
samurai_science
I am glad they tired it to Batman, and its a very good origin story. It's also a great look at mental illness and the music was amazing.
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS
AG
So good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$300M domestic.

$1B worldwide imminent.

This movie's run is insane.
Complete Idiot
I find it odd to be honest. While I enjoyed the movie, it didn't seem like one that had a broad appeal to me. It's so dark and fairly honest about some aspects of mental illness that it almost scares me it has this much broad appeal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.