New Joker!

111,155 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've come full circle on this one. I was right there with you in terms of thinking this was unnecessary, but once it became clear that it was more of a one-off and not really tied to the larger franchise, I thought it could be a fun little experiment of sorts. Now that the DCEU is evolving/dissolving, I'm all for these "what if" glimpses, especially if they've got the talent behind them that this one has. That, and what really sold me is the person's reaction I mentioned earlier who's seen footage, which is roughly the same thing we'll be seeing tomorrow, I imagine. They were GUSHING about this like I've never heard them gush before. So I'm anxious to see for myself if I feel the same way. In other words, let's at least wait 'til tomorrow to write this one off or not.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, the WB CinemaCon panel isn't until 6 PM CST tomorrow, so I wouldn't expect the trailer online until around then.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, I'm a moron. I thought today was Monday. WB's panel begins in less than half an hour. So we're about to get trailer descriptions, and then the trailer itself should be online in the morning.
bearamedic99
AG
Nice.

I'm not sure I like the origin story idea

But

I remind myself that this is the origin of a Joker and maybe not THE Joker.
AgfromHOU
AG
In current DC canon, there are actually three Jokers.

1) Golden Age Joker (mainly seen 1940-1985)
2) Post-Infinite Crisis Joker (mainly seen 1985-2011)
3) New52 Joker from Endgame (2011-present)

All three are considered active Jokers, despite their time periods, and are getting a dedicated book later this year called.. wait for it.. Three Jokers
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

This gif mesmerizing and a micro-class in acting.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel really unsure about this one. Like it could be great, or could be terrible.

We've never seen a Joker origin story go this in depth, and I wonder if the mystery being completely removed might hurt the character.
Duncan Idaho
I don't know about that, I liked the character a lot more after the killing joke.

Flashdiaz
AG
In the Dark Knight, I liked how he had several explanations for his scars depending on the scenario.

However, I like the idea of multiple iterations of the Joker through time. Having one of them explained is ok by me.

and what was it with bullies and a-holes in the 80's? was it really as rough as hollywood makes it? If so, I have some 'well in my day' stories to tell my kids.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I feel really unsure about this one. Like it could be great, or could be terrible.

We've never seen a Joker origin story go this in depth, and I wonder if the mystery being completely removed might hurt the character.
i'm with you. i loved the lack of an origin of ledger's joker. the way he kept changing up the story of how he got his scars. gave the character even more mystique.

that said, like all movies, it's just going to depend on execution and i'm hopeful they can pull this off.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I feel like I just watched a combination of Taxi Driver and the prequel for Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs starring De Niro's character from Cape Fear.
Max Power
AG
Damn, I'll admit that I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but that trailer changes everything. Joaquin really looks like he's onto something, and it's not trying to be Heath Ledger, he's his own thing completely. I think they could have done that trailer without him speaking at all and it would have been just as effective if not more so, he's that good. Really looking forward to this one.
Legal Custodian
AG
Trailer looks awesome, real excited to see this!

I don't care about seeing a backstory of the Joker as a person. My main thing is not messing with his Chaotic Evil nature. Chaos for the sake of chaos is a calling card for the Joker and is, in my opinion, what makes him one of the best villains to have ever been created. If this movie puts him in the light of fighting for the lowest rungs of society than I'd have an issue. I love the fact that the Joker is evil for no reason at all, he just likes being evil (with a slight case of insanity).
Gomer95
AG
What will this movie be rated? PG-13 or R? The trailer looked freaky enough I could maybe see R but I would imagine they would want PG-13 to attract more viewers and therefore more $$$$.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably PG-13. If they didn't do it with TDK, I doubt they do it now. IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.