New Joker!

111,182 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
M.C. Swag said:

haha there's no way it makes it to air if Joaquin was actually put off by it.
95% sure that is the case, yes - I just think it is funny a his publicist is trying to set everyone straight.

I didn't really even watch the "outtake" clip until just now and it definitely seems like a setup bit, especially the Cher references. But was done with some foresight since he looks like he's at the weight he was during movie filming, and filming completed a year ago.
TCTTS
AG
Had tickets to see this Saturday, but a couple friends had to drop out, so I just bought a ticket for tonight. Surprised to see that the 7 PM showing at one of LA's most popular theaters isn't even close to halfway full yet. Like, maybe 15 tickets sold as of now. I was certain it'd already be sold out. I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with all the incel nonsense, but it's still pretty surprising to see...
Belton Ag
AG
I'm honestly wondering if people might be scared off. That would be sad if it's the case.
Another Doug
AG
That is one of the tamest actor meltdowns that have gone viral.. You have to keep in mind he is not yelling to a stranger, or the janitor but a professional that he probably knows well. He is also playing a crazy man in a really dark movie, its not like he is standing in front of a green screen for a stupid pop corn movie....

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was also surprised to see that my IMAX theater for 6:55 tonight is about half to 2/3 full at most.
Mort Rainey
Complete Idiot said:

While I can completely believe it was staged as a performance of some kind, I also don't necessarily discount that it may have been real just based on his PUBLICIST having said so.

IN summary - I don't care.
*continues arguing about it on Texags*
TCTTS
AG
So weird. Just a couple weeks ago, before all this talk heated up, it was projected to have an $80M+ opening weekend. And maybe it still will, but this isn't a good sign...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it just won't be as front-loaded as a Marvel movie or any big superhero movie.

I bet it just does steady business all weekend and does end up hitting 80M+.
spanky
AG
Maybe the empty theater will dissuade shooters

Too soon...I know
wangus12
AG
I'll be honest in saying that I'm waiting to read reviews from ya'll on this bad boy.
Punked Shank
AG
Was planning on seeing this next week probably during the week as a date night with the girl. Shea been wanting to see it for awhile but dont feel like hassling with crowds on the weekend
Clavell
AG
When I was a student at A&M the movie The Warriors came out. Big press about how there was going to be all this gang violence at the showings. I think maybe there were a handful of minor incidents around the country at the end. One of the few movie DVDs I own. A fun silly watch.
Gomer95
AG
Here's a SPOILER FREE COMMENT. I was off today so I went to a 4 PM showing that was mostly full. It was really good and I think Phoenix did a job equal to Heath Ledger. It was just as twisted as you might think. Although other than showing some violent murders, it was about what the trailer was like that we thought it would be in regards to how demented or twisted the movie might be.

He was a good joker and creepy. Obviously this was a villain origin movie but after all the depression and psychological bad stuff, by the end it made me want a good guy like Batman to show up and stop all of his madness. Great movie if you like the Joker in general and great performance by Phoenix.
Chase McGuire
Gonna echo all of this. I really liked it. Phoenix is amazing, and really the only actor that matters in the film. The movie is 99% him, and he owns it.

As for the vibe, if you liked the trailers and are looking for a dark character study, this is your movie. It'll make you feel like you need a shower afterward. Don't go in expecting Marvel or Nolan's Batman movies. This is way more grounded. It's about one man. Like Taxi Driver but more straightforward.

There were a few points where it felt slow, but the payoff was always worth it.
aggie_fan13
AG
im so effing hyped now
Living Legend
AG
I thought it was amazing.

Joaquin was PHENOMENAL and absolutely carried the movie.

Probably the darkest and most twisted film that I've ever seen.

And I loved every second for it.
Liquid Wrench
Clavell said:

When I was a student at A&M the movie The Warriors came out. Big press about how there was going to be all this gang violence at the showings. I think maybe there were a handful of minor incidents around the country at the end. One of the few movie DVDs I own. A fun silly watch.
That's funny. Guess no one wanted to come out and play.

Boyz N The Hood is still to this day the only movie I can think of that actually prompted some real life movie theater violence. Ironically, the message was about quitting gangs because the violence wasn't worth it.
abram97
AG
I thought it was a great film. JP did a great job - award worthy.

The movie - his life summary - the hits just keep coming...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great movie. I think the Oscar buzz for Phoenix is merited.

Some stuff I feel should've probably been left unexplained, imo. It was pretty clear the dates with the neighbor were fantasies but I wish they'd hadn't shown us explicitly.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just got out of the local Cinemark. Won't give a review or any thoughts until others have had a chance to see it but how do I do a spoiler tag on here? It's just for one sentence.

If I had to rate it on an IMDB scale I'd say 8.7/10. Pretty freaking awesome.

spoiler: I loved seeing Paper Boi from the show "Atlanta" out of nowhere. His small bit part was pretty freaking huge in the grand scheme of things
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
(Sp) text (/sp)

Replace with brackets
johnnyblaze36
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, I would highly recommend IMAX for this one. It was shot in IMAX aspect ratio, and fills the frame the entire duration. Plus the cinematography is gorgeous.
NukeAg10
AG
Have my ticket to the IMAX showing in Riverside for Saturday morning. Pretty pumped.
BassCowboy33
Saw it tonight on 70mm. It was good, not great. I think I suffered from the overhype. Phoenix is as advertised. He is the film.
MrPlow2010
AG
The cinematography was amazing and it was my favorite thing about the movie. Phoenix was great and I had no idea he was that skinny for the role.
TCTTS
AG
First time in a long time that I left the theater not knowing exactly how I felt about a movie.

On one hand, Phoenix was of course amazing, the cinematography was phenomenal, and the seedy '80s Gotham vibe/production design was spot on and incredibly effective. I loved Phoenix's performance and I loved this world. But on the other hand... it was kind of a boring movie until the end? It was more tame than I expected, save for a couple bursts of violence here and there (along with the ending), but also not quite interesting or unique enough to be the Taxi Driver-esque character study it was aiming for. I definitely agree that it doesn't have a whole lot to say, as it wasn't nearly as provocative as it thinks it is. And while I don't really want to go down this road, it's definitely not as objective as Phillips and Phoenix claim it is, either.

That said, I don't know that I'd change much. It was an incredibly solid movie that I wish was like 20% better, and while I usually know exactly what I'd do differently, I'm at a loss here. I just know that it mostly worked for me, but by the end I was a bit underwhelmed and it didn't really feel like a version of the Joker that will ever go on to take on Batman.

As for spoilers...

- I can't stand "viral" videos in movies as a plot device. They're NEVER as funny or as viral-worthy as they're made out to be, and the Murray Franklin/comedy club tape thing was basically the '80s version of a viral video, but in no way warranted the reaction it got from Murray or the calls that apparently kept coming in about it. I thought that whole plot device was forced and weak.

- All the stuff with Zeze Beats felt pretty pointless. In order for her to be a figment of his imagination (for the most part), she had to basically be a nothing character, and while I enjoy Zeze Beats in general, I could have done without that entire thread. She was completely wasted.

- Phoenix debuting the Joker on national TV - and coming out on stage like that - was incredibly captivating. Again, I just wish it wasn't under such contrived circumstances. As good as it was, it made that whole sequence feel a bit off for me. It also hit me about halfway through that scene that *this* was the climax, when, going into it, it felt it was going to be the scene *before* the climax/third act, whatever that may be. Then again, nothing else had been built up for a bigger third act/climax, obviously, which only added to the frustration.

- I cannot believe that even in a Joker origin movie we had to watch the Waynes be murdered once again, and yet... it actually kind of worked? I was pleasantly surprised that they found a middle ground where the Joker isn't the one to pull the trigger, but still the one who is ultimately responsible. That was a nice little twist I didn't see coming. Going through those motions for umpteenth time, I wanted to roll my eyes but ultimately couldn't. That entire sequence at the very end - with the cop car wreck, the Joker standing on the hood being celebrated, and the Wayne murders - worked really, really well. It was a little *too* celebratory for my taste, but certainly made for an effective ending.

Overall, I still think a Joker origin story can work, but again, I don't know that I'd buy or fear this iteration of the Joker in a sequel (which isn't happening, for the record), having now seen what we saw. Ledger's Joker is still infinitely more disturbing/scary in that regard. But I'm glad this got made and I hope it's successful because I absolutely want to see WB/DC take more chances like this.
johnnyblaze36
AG
You might as well have blacked out every paragraph you wrote. Give some other folks a chance to see it before you dive in deep with a rotten tomato. Or is it tomatoe? Pffftt...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
93% audience score on RT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-box-office-opening-weekend-1202752002/

Great Thursday night.

Quote:

Warner Bros/Village Roadshow's R-rated Joker grossed $13.3 million at the Thursday box office, breaking the record for an October preview set by Sony's Venom last year.

Joker also beat the Thursday previews of such R-rated films as Deadpool ($12.7M), It Chapter Two ($10.5M), its director Todd Phillips' Hangover 2 ($10.4 million) and Logan ($9.5M). The record is owned by Deadpool 2, which grossed $18.6 million in May 2018.
$80M + is a guarantee and $100M is in play.
spanky
AG
Ok, I was on the fence about seeing this one in theater, and I'll give it a shot this weekend
Geriatric Punk
AG
Just scored my tickets at the newly built Alamo by my house. Gonna be a fun night for me and the lady.

They still have the Jack Daniels ICEE machine, right?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
jschroeder
Jack Daniels icees are way too watered down, nothing like the slushes at Willies
TCTTS
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

You might as well have blacked out every paragraph you wrote. Give some other folks a chance to see it before you dive in deep with a rotten tomato. Or is it tomatoe? Pffftt...
I wasn't aware that people were being forced to read my post. Interesting.
Duncan Idaho
spanky said:

Ok, I was on the fence about seeing this one in theater, and I'll give it a shot this weekend

Phrasing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.