New Joker!

111,208 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's probably the reason why it's so appealing, I can't recall any movie that had this fresh honest take on the dissolve of a man due to his mental illness
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It helps that this is the second most popular villain in pop culture. (Arguably tied with Vader for #1?)
aggie_fan13
AG
I'd put joker above Vader
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guess we'll find out when the Vader movie is made.

(You hear me Kathleen?)
Phat32
AG
azulAg said:

I'd put joker above Vader
Vader has to be #1, right? The mask is so recognizable.
BTHOthatguy
Hannibal Lector says hi.
AgfromHOU
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$300M domestic.

$1B worldwide imminent.

This movie's run is insane.

Without China
Bruce Almighty
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

Hannibal Lector says hi.

Says hi? Lector isn't even close in popularity to Vader and Joker. Vader is definitely #1. He's probably the most iconic character in the most popular fictional franchise of all time. Even people who don't like Star Wars knows who Vader is.
Phat32
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

BTHOthatguy said:

Hannibal Lector says hi.

Says hi? Lector isn't even close in popularity to Vader and Joker. Vader is definitely #1. He's probably the most iconic character in the most popular fictional franchise of all time. Even people who don't like Star Wars knows who Vader is.
Agree.

Hannibal Lector doesn't sniff Vader's suit cup.
AgfromHOU
AG
yukmonkey said:

Bruce Almighty said:

BTHOthatguy said:

Hannibal Lector says hi.

Agree.

Hannibal Lector doesn't sniff Vader's suit cup.

Hannibal Lector isn't even on current pop culture radar
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just saw this. Thought it was great. I'm really surprised by some of the negative reviews on this thread. I get not liking it if you didn't realize how dark and disturbing it was going to be going into it. But if you knew that was the direction the film would go, I don't see how you wouldn't be captivated the entire time. I was nervous/captivated the entire movie, even in what some would call the "slow" parts.

And just to echo, Phoenix was amazing. I thought his role may have been more impressive than Lester because Phoenix didn't have his face painted the entire movie. But can't really compare the two. They were both great.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Ok I know this is a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway-
The final scene, in the asylum. Somebody explain that to me. The time frame of it, the bloody footprints, the cartoony running back and forth. For whatever reason, that scene had me like "hold on, what?"

I thought the same thing. I assume most of what we saw actually happened. But after the last scene, I had the thought that maybe everything we saw was in his head and didn't really happen? Maybe he was ill and was in the asylum the whole time?

Was the psychiatrist he was talking to at the end (and apparently killed) the same psychiatrist he was talking to at the beginning of the movie? I thought they may have been the same, and that's what made me think that maybe it was all in his head. Plus, they purposefully don't show him getting arrested. How did they catch him? And if he really did everything shown, would he really just be put in a mental hospital? And if it was all in his head, then he escapes and starts chaos after he escapes.

I'm assuming it all actually happened. But just wanted to say that the last scene did make me think. It seems there are multiple ways that you could take the movie.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Azariah
AG
I saw this today, finally, and holy smokes was I blown away. This was wonderfully uncomfortable and shocking. I did not feel good being lead down a path where every step in the making of the Joker made sense. Heath Ledger is still my favorite Joker performance ever, but this movie made me evaluate that closely.
TennAg
The social worker at the beginning and the Arkham lady that he apparently killed were played by two different actresses.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ah, thanks.
TennAg
You made me think about it so i looked it up. It would've been a really interesting twist if they snuck that in.
Tobias Funke
AG
TennAg said:

The social worker at the beginning and the Arkham lady that he apparently killed were played by two different actresses.

Ok that was the source of my confusion. I watched that thinking it was the same person
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B4qYOoGFRbU
BTHOthatguy
They were showing that he had fully transitioned into a homicidal maniac. AKA The Joker.
spanky
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

BTHOthatguy said:

Hannibal Lector says hi.

Satan says hi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Please. Satan only ever aimed to rule a single planet.

The Devil
spanky said:

Bruce Almighty said:

BTHOthatguy said:

Hannibal Lector says hi.

Satan says hi

No I didn't
spanky
AG
Like you're honest
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$994,462,180
AgsMnn
AG
TCTTS said:

That's crazy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Never would have that thought that this thing would amount to anything. I didn't even think it would be any good until I saw the first trailer.

Not only was it a great movie, it's become a cultural phenomenon and will go down in movie history. It goes to show you that DC has material - good material - that if done properly can make for great films (Joker, TDK). When they try and copy Marvel they flop. Let's see if WB can figure that out.
AgfromHOU
AG
Belton Ag said:

Never would have that thought that this thing would amount to anything. I didn't even think it would be any good until I saw the first trailer.

Not only was it a great movie, it's become a cultural phenomenon and will go down in movie history. It goes to show you that DC has material - good material - that if done properly can make for great films (Joker, TDK). When they try and copy Marvel they flop. Let's see if WB can figure that out.

GREAT material. FIFY
aggie_fan13
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
this is gonna pull a sicario franchise i feel.
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2019/11/joker-sequel-no-discussions-yet-todd-phillips-no-dc-origin-villian-films-planned-1202790774/
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.