New Joker!

111,154 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
FaceMask
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rhutton125 said:

I've hesitated to say anything because I don't want to be "that guy" and come rain on peoples' parade. But even if the movie had 100% across the board, I'm still not sure I'd go see it. It just sounds depressing. So many tweets about being disturbed or shaken by it after viewing. Just not my cup of tea at all. There's a reason I still haven't seen Schindler's List, for example.

Still, if it's legitimately good, I'm glad it exists. One filmmaker having a vision and being allowed to see that to fruition is pretty cool. Definitely different than the franchise-building and universe-connecting push we've seen for so many years now.

You don't watch movies because it may scare you literally to death? SList was great, but I see where it may traumatize some ppl.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I feel a comparison might be Requiem for a Dream. It was pretty damn dark, haunting, and left a mark. You may have to be in the mood to watch it, but it is worth a watch.

agdoc2001
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I feel a comparison might be Requiem for a Dream. It was pretty damn dark, haunting, and left a mark. You may have to be in the mood to watch it, but it is worth a watch.

Requiem isn't for everyone. I own it and still haven't watched it a 2nd time and I completely understand someone who doesn't want that kind of movie experience - real life is grim enough.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Liquid Wrench
Requiem is my go-to example of a well made film that I've never wanted to watch again. For the same reasons.
Complete Idiot
This sounds like a very interesting movie but I've struggled to get too excited since I first learned Todd Phillips was the director. He's deviated recently from the Hangover, Borat, Old School type movie but I haven't seen the serious ones (A Star is Born is one). I just have a hard time believing this is deep or meaningful or cinematically engrossing in any way.
Belton Ag
AG
Complete Idiot said:

This sounds like a very interesting movie but I've struggled to get too excited since I first learned Todd Phillips was the director. He's deviated recently from the Hangover, Borat, Old School type movie but I haven't seen the serious ones (A Star is Born is one). I just have a hard time believing this is deep or meaningful or cinematically engrossing in any way.
You're a pretty masterful troll. You're username screams it out but your actual posts are subtle; just enough to make people wonder.
rhutton125
AG
Requiem... woof. Glad I saw it I guess, if only so I can laugh at "ass-to-ass." And so I'll remember to never do heroin. Not that I was going to, but holy ****.
Complete Idiot
Belton Ag said:

Complete Idiot said:

You're a pretty masterful troll. You're username screams it out but your actual posts are subtle; just enough to make people wonder.

Look, I simply don't understand the series of words you've arranged in the internet entry above.
TCTTS
AG
It's your mention of "A Star is Born." Todd Philips had nothing to do with that movie (nor did he have anything to do with Borat - he dropped out). If serious, are you confusing Todd Philips for Bradley Cooper? Otherwise, that does sound like a very troll-ish post, hence Belton's comment.
Complete Idiot
Unintentional mistake for sure, I recalled looking at who directed Joker and saw it was Phillips, was surprised, and making sure it was the same Todd Phillips. At that time I looked it up and it was the same guy and saw he was involved with A Star is Born. I guess i assumed director, turns out he was a producer (at least per wikipedia and imdb as of today). So he WAS involved.

But referencing A Star is Born was not really relevant to the post, I was just pointing out my leeriness - fair or not - about Todd Phillips having directed this. You know, the guy who said "I'm here for the gang bang" in Old School.

But reviews are great and I'll watch eventually.
spanky
AG
Is this directed by the same guy that did the bookface movie with Michael Cera?
TCTTS
AG
Didn't know he was a producer on A Star is Born. My bad!
Complete Idiot
TCTTS said:

Didn't know he was a producer on A Star is Born. My bad!
He (with others) was also Oscar nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for Borat - so involved there as well. Did back out as director.

I've happily trolled before but didn't see where even the potential troll existed in my post above. I was very surprised he was the director of Joker, and given the reviews and feedback it seems completely unlike nearly anything he's been involved with before or what his niche was. Given what I hoped Joker was - a very dark and well written character study - I found it hard to believe it would come from someone with Todd Phillips directorial resume.

Sidenote:
How the hell did Borat get nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay? Wasn't a good portion of that improvised through interactions with non-actors?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Danny Devito produced Pulp Fiction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This thread is almost exactly one year old.

Go back and read the first page. It's good for a laugh now that the reviews are rolling in.
AgfromHOU
AG
I think most, including me, expected a typical CBM origin movie, not a character study that is a commentary on society. Definitely didn't expect it to be entered into international film festivals.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tickets go on sale Monday at 9 AM ET.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
lazuras_dc
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

This thread is almost exactly one year old.

Go back and read the first page. It's good for a laugh now that the reviews are rolling in.

When I first heard of this movie my response was exactly like the first page. And as I'm watching more trailers... I really really want to watch this movie in theaters! ( with two toddlers at home it's hard to get me out to theaters )
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There was an older couple in front of me at Ad Astra (maybe mid 50's), and the man seemed VERY excited about this movie when the trailer played.

I think this is gonna play strongly with the older crowd.
BTHOthatguy
What a great tribute to Heath.
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B2ro9kaJTNj
Ulrich
FaceMask said:

rhutton125 said:

I've hesitated to say anything because I don't want to be "that guy" and come rain on peoples' parade. But even if the movie had 100% across the board, I'm still not sure I'd go see it. It just sounds depressing. So many tweets about being disturbed or shaken by it after viewing. Just not my cup of tea at all. There's a reason I still haven't seen Schindler's List, for example.

Still, if it's legitimately good, I'm glad it exists. One filmmaker having a vision and being allowed to see that to fruition is pretty cool. Definitely different than the franchise-building and universe-connecting push we've seen for so many years now.

You don't watch movies because it may scare you literally to death? SList was great, but I see where it may traumatize some ppl.

I'm in the same place as rhutton (Also I'm not seeing where he said it would scare him to death?).

I'm glad this movie is out there for people who like that sort of thing (and I did watch Schindler's List with no ill effects), but there is a level of darkness that I generally avoid. I suspect that I would appreciate this movie without enjoying it, so I'm not going to spend an evening on it.

Different people like different things, more at eleven.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also something I haven't been interested in from the beginning. Now it sounds even more out of my wheelhouse.
The Lost
Bought my tickets for friday night, looking forward to it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
7 pm Thursday
Mort Rainey
scoop12 said:

As much as I wanna see this movie, I am a little concerned about the wrong person watching this and getting the wrong kind of motivation. Sounds like some of the critics echo that as well.
Look, i get that this is probably worth a conversation. But i think we should all be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of certain types of art not being allowed because of what some crazy person might do. That's a very slippery slope.
Mort Rainey
https://io9.gizmodo.com/joaquin-phoenix-couldnt-answer-the-most-obvious-questio-1838368694

The idea that this movie shouldn't be made because it will inspire "white male terrorists" is going to be the narrative with this film, and the noise is only going to get louder as the release date approaches.
The Lost
Mabel Choate said:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/joaquin-phoenix-couldnt-answer-the-most-obvious-questio-1838368694

The idea that this movie shouldn't be made because it will inspire "white male terrorists" is going to be the narrative with this film, and the noise is only going to get louder as the release date approaches.

It annoys me they throw in the angry white male. They'd still hate it if joker was black, but muh talking points!
Mort Rainey
The Lost said:

Mabel Choate said:

It annoys me they throw in the angry white male. They'd still hate it if joker was black, but muh talking points!
Not to turn this into the political board, but it is sort of grating that "white male terrorist" is the name used everywhere now for mass shooter, but the NY Times headline on 9/11 this year said "airplanes took aim at buildings".

Pick one way or the other
TCTTS
AG
Feels like this whole narrative is gaining steam pretty fast...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/aurora-shooting-victims-voice-concerns-joker-emotional-letter-warner-bros-1241599
TCTTS
AG

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/joker-warner-bros-aurora-shooting-victims-letter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.