New Joker!

111,744 Views | 736 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
wealeat09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it yesterday afternoon. I liked it a bit more than TCCTS, but after reading his post I agree with most of his points.
FIDO*98*
AG
Quote:

On one hand, Phoenix was of course amazing, the cinematography was phenomenal, and the seedy '80s Gotham vibe/production design was spot on and incredibly effective. I loved Phoenix's performance and I loved this world. But on the other hand... it was kind of a boring movie until the end?

Saw it this afternoon. Great acting, but, overall a thin movie that drags on until the last 20-30 mins. I'm glad I wasted an afternoon off and not an evening seeing this one. About 5 people in my 1:45 showing.
MrPlow2010
AG
I thought it was pretty good but I agree it was kinda slow. It's one of those movies I'm happy I saw but I don't think I'll ever sit down and watch it again.
aggie_fan13
AG
Yalls reviews sound disappointing tbh
TCTTS
AG
Liquid Wrench
That's ridiculous, and it's ridiculous how so many on social media have been attempting to create some kind of crisis out of a movie they haven't seen. Some people seem to be hoping for something bad to happen just so they can tweet out the "I told you so."
Ol Jock 99
AG
Wow
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jschroeder
Guys, it's not about the danger, AMC is now hosting swinger showings of movies and this is a pretty standard rule.
Redstone
AG
Phoenix was very good. The movie is "grounded," and not really like the Nolan films. The cinematography was top notch and it felt like an immersive world. This is a psychological character study, an account of a mental descent. Things picked up in the last 30 minutes or so. Worth a watch.
Serious Lee

guess ill have to wait for netflix to pick it up
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Deleted. What was it?
NukeAg10
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

Where is this? I have a ticket for tomorrow morning and I'm going by myself. It's ****ing sad I'm even having to ask this question.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Deleted. What was it?

A tweet with the photo Walt just posted above.
Not a Bot
AG
Saw this today. Also saw a uniformed cop working security at the theater for the first time ever. I'm glad they didn't enforce some sort of singles policy because a lot of us in the theater were by ourselves.

I still have no idea what to think about this movie. It was well made. Phoenix was phenomenal. But I walked out not sure that I liked it. I usually don't like seeing these super serious movies. Also having known some people with real mental illness, and knowing about psuedobulbar affect (the uncontrollable laughing) it just put a big fog over it because it was so real. What he did by shaking his legs non-stop when he sat down and some of the movements he was making just reminded me so much of somebody I knew a long time ago who committed suicide, I almost started crying.

The thing that stood out to me the most was that this movie had zero comic relief. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie be so serious for the entire length of the film.

The more I think about it, the more I think I really just didn't enjoy this movie at all. But it's one of those strange situations where I can totally see how well made it was and how good of an actor Phoenix is, and how a lot of people will love it. Just not for me.
Serious Lee
NukeAg10 said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Where is this? I have a ticket for tomorrow morning and I'm going by myself. It's ****ing sad I'm even having to ask this question.
its in Cali. On the brightside, seems like an easy way to pick up an emo chick
MBAR
AG
I just got out. The longer I sit with it, the less I like it. I enjoyed where they were going for 3/4ths of the movie, and honestly the end was just bad, IMO.

There's a lot of superficial **** that people will glom onto but after all I had read bout this movie being good I am let down.
BoydCrowder13
Just got out. I loved it. Phoenix was extremely disturbing the whole movie. The laugh, the hair, his weight, living situation, journal, etc. Some might say it was too on the nose but I felt like it could be real.

I feel like a lot of critics probably didn't know how disturbing the Joker as a character is. He is literally a mass murdering psychotic clown. One of the darkest characters in comics.

In my life, we've had:
Jack Nicholson - basically playing himself as a crazy gangster.
Mark Hamill - Perfect Joker but had to tone down to violence and darkness for a kid's version
Ledger - Awesome. Agent of chaos and scary. Fully formed Joker
Leto - Sexualized pimp Joker. Awful.
Phoenix - Very disturbing look at how a mentally ill person could snap and become a mass murdering clown.

Unsettling all the way through though. No sunshine.
TCTTS
AG
I'm in the same camp. The more time passes, the more I dislike it.
Redstone
AG
I think you should give it another chance. Consider the last act: I expect that will help it to become a rewatchable. To me it is memorable. And I think it is important for Influencers to understand where and how a major film is headed in the public consciousness. This is a memorable film; it is another nice achievement for DC, which I personally prefer to Marvel.
TennAg
I thought it was excellent, glad we chose XD.
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't know. I didn't exactly enjoy Schindler's List either.

Not that I'm comparing the two, but you were never supposed to walk out of this movie as it were the feel good movie if the year. I was held captive throughout this thing, so I guess by definition, I approve.

That said, one viewing is enough for me.
Render
AG
Saw it tonight. Some of y'all way over-think things. This is a great movie. I can see where some would say the plot is "thin", but imo that's because it eschews a typical blockbuster-type plot structure. It meanders and takes its time, because the movie is driven by Joker's nonlinear emotional arc, not a traditional, market-tested-to-death, blockbuster-type plot. This movie is very creative, at times very brutal, and makes you laugh at things that you shouldn't - a true reflection of the Joker character. I would gladly watch this movie again.
Geriatric Punk
AG
1. Phoenix killed it. Although, there was something about the scene on the talk show that didn't sit right.

2. Fun (albeit disturbing in its true to life development of a mad man) and fresh take. Well done. Not what I expected.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
John Matrix
AG
I pretty much agree with TCTTS here in saying that this is really good, but doesn't quite get to the level of great. Phoenix is phenomenal, and the Wayne story line works better than it should, but it's s little too predictable and familiar with its clear references of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. That being said, considering the fact that I really thought a joker origin story was a terrible idea, this was much better than expected.

Even if imperfect, this film really does illustrate what Warner Brothers,( by the way, I loved The old school Warner logo here), and DC should be doing films like this and trying to be less like Marvel-more director-driven, out of the box storytelling without the need for a shared universe. I know they technically they tried to do that with Batman versus Superman and Man of Steel, but they were trying to have their cake and eat it too and try to be like marvel as well.

Regardless, this is a pretty successful exercise in what the superhero genre could become.
_lefraud_
AG
There was plenty of comic relief...not sure what movie you saw.
Hogties
AG
Phoenix killed it. Totally believable depiction of madness. And I think that was the point. This wasn't a comic book movie, if you knew nothing about DC and the joker this would be compared to movies like The Shining or ****oos Nest because it is really a movie about madness and the loneliness of mental disease.

It was very disturbing. Phoenix needs to get mental help now because that guy was totally believable.

But one viewing is enough. Very well made. Great performance. And the only movie that reminded me of the joker I remember from the comic books. The comic book joker used to scare the hell out of me and was a dark psychopathic killer in a clown face, not a mastermind lex Luther type. This movie nailed that character as I remember him. Crazy laugh and creepy ass dances and everything.

Glad I saw it. Don't want to see it again.
dreyOO
That movie was a real turd. Didn't read reviews but heard Phoenix was great.

Thought his rendition was pretty great. But I didn't like the plotline at all. I won't spoil it, but just dumb.

And it was slow as hell. My wife fell asleep 3 times. The whole crowd was yawning throughout.

Could feel the relief when it was finally over.
NukeAg10
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

NukeAg10 said:

Walt Luddiger said:

its in Cali. On the brightside, seems like an easy way to pick up an emo chick

I live in Riverside, and am going to see it at 10:45. Hopefully I don't get turned away since I'll be by myself. California is so damn soft.
Sex Panther
AG
I enjoyed it, and I really loved the look and feel (I saw it in 35MM as well). But man was it dark... This movie is very uncomfortable. Never felt tension like that in a theater before. Unique experience for sure.

I thought the ending was great. Loved the ominous music and him painting the traditional blood joker smile. And its become trendy to criticize the Wayne murders being shown on film but I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie. Like TC said, it would have been a little too cheesy and on the nose if he did it, but him being responsible worked really well.

Olsen
AG
I just finished watching this movie. It's my favorite DC movie yet. The Killing Joke was my favorite Batman comic book.
AggieBand2004
AG
Outstanding movie. Very, very well done.
Written so that there are several legitimate theories as to what is/isn't real is a perfect approach to violent psychosis, and Joker pulls it off masterfully
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did he really climb in the fridge? You can't open those from the inside.

What if he did, and everything after that was his dying hallucinations? Keep in mind that immediately after he gets in there, the phone rings inviting him onto the talk show. Everything starts to go "right" for him after that.
AggieBand2004
AG
Render said:

Saw it tonight. Some of y'all way over-think things. This is a great movie. I can see where some would say the plot is "thin", but imo that's because it eschews a typical blockbuster-type plot structure. It meanders and takes its time, because the movie is driven by Joker's nonlinear emotional arc, not a traditional, market-tested-to-death, blockbuster-type plot. This movie is very creative, at times very brutal, and makes you laugh at things that you shouldn't - a true reflection of the Joker character. I would gladly watch this movie again.

Maybe it's because I don't frequent this board, but your first 2 sentences certainly ring true in this thread. I had a former coworker that was super critical of all entertainment, and it was a beating to hear him discuss movies/music.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.