Reopening Schools

223,048 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
88planoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

damn, hadnt heard this yet, that's a huge blow. However, I bet they find a competent replacement pretty quick. The football OC job had overwhelming # of applications. Band is a big deal to the school and students. I am confident they will react and take care of this. Surely there was an understudy.
This is in Boerne. No understudy as both the director and his assistant quit. Hopefully some young band teacher sees this as an opportunity.
tysker
AG
rojo_ag said:

Quote:

But thats the best thing about online learning. Throw a $200 TV in the classroom and stream in the same video feed the online students are getting. Remote teaching requires no additional labor. If done well, the large scale need for substitutes can become a thing of the past.
I like your thinking, and I thought of this as an option. It sounds logical, but it isn't practical to live stream instruction (maybe at high school). I rarely stand in the same place during a lesson. I know that I will have to adjust my style to compensate, but I try to position myself as a facilitator and an expert learner rather than the sage of the stage.

In addition, many students watching a live feed of the class will have a difficult time paying attention without direct and indirect redirection and reminders to stay on task. If it is lived streamed, I will not be able to see the students who are participating on-line. It is much more effective to meet with students who are participating in asynchronous learning and meeting with me during office hours to ask questions and guide them through challenging content. Also working with a class of students on Zoom or Google Hangout has more advantages than live streaming.
It would work best undoubtedly for older or more mature kids. Its no different than video conferencing tech thats been around for decades. My wife took an Oceanography course synchronous with TAMU-Galveston back in the late 90s and the prof floated between the two campuses as needed. All the students and the prof could see each other and interact; it wasn't sexy but didn't have to be.
Jbob04
AG
I don't have the answers but shutting schools down for another year isn't realistic either.
nai06
AG
tysker said:

Bassmaster said:

Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I hope all of you who are pushing for reopening without precautions are calling your local schools and signing up to be substitute teachers. This from a practical point is going to be a huge issue.

We already have signed up to be substitute teachers. If our kids aren't in school, that's exactly what every one of us will be as parents. Oh, and we'll also be doing our regular day jobs as well.
Exactly. It is such a ridiculous argument. Maybe my tax dollars should be spent more efficiently. Lord knows I pay enough. If you can't get a substitute to come in, you aren't paying them enough money that the market dictates.
Or the barrier to entry is too great. Remove the teacher certification or bachelor's degree requirements. Allow for half day subs so people with part time work can take on a class or two. Especially if schools can have remote teachers providing the lecture and leading the classroom, the schools mostly would need an "adult" physically in classroom.

Be creative, be flexible and fail fast.

I'll be honest, most subs I get can't actually teach. They just sit there, hand out worksheets, or play a video. The requirements are pretty easy too. Most places don't require a degree, just some college and pass a background check. It's just not a job a lot of people want to do for $75 a day
tysker
AG
Considering the current unemployment rate, maybe that will change?
Vernada
AG
WorthAg95 said:

Vernada said:

tysker said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

it seems like students and the parents are carrying the intellectual and emotional burden, mostly to benefit the physical safety of the staff and teachers.
I think as it gets closer, teachers are realizing that a lot of folks seem to be willing to sacrifice the teachers' health and safety and, believe it or not, a lot are NOT ok with that.
Similarly there are parents (and students) that are now realizing that lot of folks seem to be willing to sacrifice their child's education and, believe it or not, a lot are NOT ok with that.
Teachers aren't happy about this either - most WANT to teach.

But they want to be able to do it safely.

I don't think that's unreasonable. I expect to be safe when I go to my job.

Right now TEA/school districts etc are doing a terrible job letting teachers know how they are going to be kept safe and what is going to be required of them and how they will achieve those requirements.
Maybe those teachers should survey their friends and family who are doctors, nurses, medical assistants...you know, the ones in the thick of everything. How do they keep their families safe? Even my job gives me basics of mitigating risk: wash hands, sanitizer if no soap available, mask, wash clothes upon coming into the house and immediately take a shower.
I wonder what the per person expense is for PPE & other safety measures is at a hospital/medical facility?

Are you thinking it'll be somewhere close to the same at schools? (LOL)
GAC06
AG
Lots of people have been going to work this entire time. What makes teachers special?
Complete Idiot
Our school district is offering remote learning or in classroom learning (current plan anyway). Probably being optimistic, but I'm hoping that older teachers or teachers that have personal fears are the ones allowed to administer the home learning classes, and that there are enough teachers willing to come to the workplace without fear to cover the students electing the in-class option. I know that won't work out perfectly, may need to juggle grades/courses/etc to best accommodate, and it will be messy. I both want my kids in the school and don't want to force scared or at risk teachers into an environment they aren't comfortable with. But since both options are being offered to students, hopefully it is a benefit to teachers as well.

Hopefully younger people out of work from the hospitality/tourism etc industries could take on some substitute roles, perhaps at higher than traditional pay for that position?

Some reading from 2009: https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.28.6.w1066
Vernada
AG
GAC06 said:

Lots of people have been going to work this entire time. What makes teachers special?
I guess your work hasn't implemented any kind of new safety precautions or procedures?

Most places have a significantly different look now compared to 'pre-quarantine'.

I know, my workplace looks dramatically different than it did in February.

What kind of safety precautions are being offered to teachers? No one really knows yet. There's nothing clear. I certainly don't blame those teachers who don't like what they are seeing.
WorthAg95
AG
Vernada,

Look outside hospitals. Have you walked into any family medicine care clinics recently? Their PPE consists of a mask.
tysker
AG
GAC06 said:

Lots of people have lost their job and business due to the economic downturn some with no near term prospect for return.
GAC06
AG
At work I have to wear a mask. That's about it other than being asked to isolate if sick or exposed.
Bassmaster
AG
They've had 4 months to figure out safety procedures. Do they need more time? I don't understand why there is this delay with schools. Of course they won't be 100% effective, but there aren't many options. It shouldn't take this long for the TEA or districts themselves to provide guidance.
Complete Idiot
Vernada said:

GAC06 said:

I guess your work hasn't implemented any kind of new safety precautions or procedures?

Most places have a significantly different look now compared to 'pre-quarantine'.

What kind of safety precautions are being offered to teachers? No one really knows yet. There's nothing clear. I certainly don't blame those teachers who don't like what they are seeing.

Well, at daycares, summer camps, youth sports facilities, other places of business the standards seem to be - morning temp check, mask wearing, social distancing whenever possible, hand washing regimen, hand sanitizer, robust daily surface cleaning. What is there unique to schools or teachers that would deviate from what is being applied everywhere else? Certainly a physical class size may make social distancing to guidelines impossible, depending on children enrolled. What other considerations?
Vernada
AG
Bassmaster said:

They've had 4 months to figure out safety procedures. Do they need more time? I don't understand why there is this delay with schools. Of course they won't be 100% effective, but there aren't many options. It shouldn't take this long for the TEA or districts themselves to provide guidance.
I don't know what the TEA was doing. Keep in mind the ISDs are at the bottom of the hill here and just having to react as best they can to poor guidance.
AggieT
AG
88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

damn, hadnt heard this yet, that's a huge blow. However, I bet they find a competent replacement pretty quick. The football OC job had overwhelming # of applications. Band is a big deal to the school and students. I am confident they will react and take care of this. Surely there was an understudy.
This is in Boerne. No understudy as both the director and his assistant quit. Hopefully some young band teacher sees this as an opportunity.
Who wouldn't want 20 trumpets aimed at their face right now?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
TEA is not requiring temp checks. Most of us have had to buy our own cleaning supplies like clorox wipes, spray and hand sanitizer for years. Now it is next to impossible to find.

We have no hot water in bathrooms..suggested for hand washing and those sinks cut off automatically after about a five count.

Those are concerns that we want addressed. I already bought my own face shields and masks but my daughter's school is giving them one of each.

I have plenty.

And class crowding, shared technology, and such.

Rich schools may have each kid with own devices, but at my high school there are just class sets of everything . So in an 8 period schedule, your child will be touching chrome books, text books, and calculators that seven other kids have used.

I plan on putting in a rigid seating chart (not usual for older high school kids) and an assigned number for shared instructional materials. At least is someone gets sick we can know exactly who else shared the same things.
tysker
AG
AggieT said:

88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

20 trumpets playing right in my face? Yep that's my personal hell...
TXTransplant
AggieT said:

88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Out of curiosity, yesterday my son tried to practice his tuba with a face mask on. I got a good laugh.

In reality, I think marching season is toast and the best they can do is online band practice/lessons to keep up skills.
murphyag
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Vernada said:

GAC06 said:

Well, at daycares, summer camps, youth sports facilities, other places of business the standards seem to be - morning temp check, mask wearing, social distancing whenever possible, hand washing regimen, hand sanitizer, robust daily surface cleaning. What is there unique to schools or teachers that would deviate from what is being applied everywhere else? Certainly a physical class size may make social distancing to guidelines impossible, depending on children enrolled. What other considerations?

I can't comment on all jobs above, but most summer day camps and sleepaway camps are usually staffed by teen and college aged counselors. The day camp groups are usually small and cabins don't generally have as many kids in them as a classroom would.

Daycares generally have staff that are in the younger age groups as well: age 18-30 seems pretty common from what I've noticed from our family's different daycare experiences starting 17 years ago. Daycares also have much smaller class sizes compared to public schools. Daycares have always been much more strict regarding sending sick kids home immediately. Parents aren't able to sneak their sick kids into daycare as easily and don't seem to try as often either. I think because they know the daycare will kick them out.
GinaLinetti
AG
In my particular classroom I have 3 tables and basically all shared materials for 22+ 3-4 year olds. 1 bathroom and a sink (thankfully). I purchase all of my own disinfectant for toys and supplies since custodial staff just wipes surfaces and floors, bathrooms, etc. There is so much sneezing, coughing, and licking (of every random item imaginable) that I have no idea where to start implementing safety procedures. I'm hoping that the current data is correct, and this age group doesn't spread the virus like older humans do. Gonna try and wear a mask, though I feel like some of my students on the spectrum aren't going to like even me in one, and possibly get a face shield to block some of the snot and spit that inevitably gets hurled my direction. At least I can wear scrubs, so stripping down in the laundry room when I get home and washing hot is an option.

I really encourage everyone to get involved with their local school boards and campuses. From what I've seen, people are trying to make it work, and there have been great questions asked in here. Superintendents are going to listen to parents more than staff. Get in their ears and help them figure it out.
88planoAg
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

We have no hot water in bathrooms..suggested for hand washing and those sinks cut off automatically after about a five count.

I hear you, your concerns are valid.

This one, though - I wet and soap my hands and turn off the water to force myself to wash for long enough, then turn the water back on to rinse. That is the message there I think. Soap for long enough is more important than water temp.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I wash mine under the running hot water for twenty seconds. But as soon as the water turns off, the next person in line always wants the sink We don't have teacher bathrooms, share with kids and they are always crowded with a line, at least the girls is.
Complete Idiot
murphyag said:

Complete Idiot said:

Vernada said:

GAC06 said:

I can't comment on all jobs above, but most summer day camps and sleepaway camps are usually staffed by teen and college aged counselors. The day camp groups are usually small and cabins don't generally have as many kids in them as a classroom would.

Daycares generally have staff that are in the younger age groups as well: age 18-30 seems pretty common from what I've noticed from our family's different daycare experiences starting 17 years ago. Daycares also have much smaller class sizes compared to public schools. Daycares have always been much more strict regarding sending sick kids home immediately. Parents aren't able to sneak their sick kids into daycare as easily and don't seem to try as often either. I think because they know the daycare will kick them out.
I can't comment on all jobs above, but most summer day camps and sleepaway camps are usually staffed by teen and college aged counselors. - many yes, not all. A higher percentage skews young in camp staffing than compared to public school staffing, no doubt

The day camp groups are usually small and cabins don't generally have as many kids in them as a classroom would. - not sure what this is based on. My experience with my three kids is day camps can be 5-50 kids together in a group, or indoor space. Sleepover cabins range 8-40 a room. I do think sleeping for 10 hours with no mask would be riskier than 7 hours with masks and supervision, as far as spreading an illness.

Daycares generally have staff that are in the younger age groups as well: age 18-30 seems pretty common from what I've noticed from our family's different daycare experiences starting 17 years ago. - I do see a lot of semi retired/older ladies at facilities as well. And support staff such as food and janitorial would be typical of a public school in my experiences.

Daycares also have much smaller class sizes compared to public schools. - Depending on age group, I'd agree. I also think those ages are much more difficult as far as enforcing mask wearing, hygiene, and distancing. My kids are past those ages so I'm not sure how they've been pulling it off, kudos to those facilities that have been running this entire time.

Daycares have always been much more strict regarding sending sick kids home immediately. - I'd agree but also would expect zero tolerance in public schools given the situation. Historic behavior doesn't really apply to our current situation.

Parents aren't able to sneak their sick kids into daycare as easily and don't seem to try as often either. I think because they know the daycare will kick them out. - Hopefully there is more smart behavior in the current environment, but understand there will be exceptions - and kids maybe don't even show bad symptoms and could still spread it, there should be temp and visual screening upon school arrival.

Even with everything you noted, what is the "risk factor" or a daycare, summer camp, or adult workplace compared to a public school? What are we trying to prevent by keeping kids out of school, and to what end does keeping them out of school achieve that goal successfully? Do we consider quality education essential business, essential for our children? Can we provide education of equal quality, equally to all home environments, with remote schooling as compared to in school learning? How have other countries kept kids in school, or returned to school, during the pandemic? If things are not adequate to reopen now, when would they be? Do we need 100% agreement to reopen? Do we need 0% risk from illness? Where is the middle ground, and who will decide where it lands?
Big Al 1992
AG
So many are coming at this "if someone is positive then what" instead of "WHEN someone is positive, this is what we do". If districts are saying we don't want anyone to get sick, well that's Not happening. Go in with expectation that yes some will get sick, we will have to shut down and reopen a few times this school year, it's unfortunate but it's a fact of life now.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Many would likely argue that closing down and re-opening and closing down and re-opening several times during a year would be a lot less conducive to learning than just picking to go remotely to begin with.

Probably better to pick one or the other and ride that horse instead of going back and forth all school year.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If schools have to close every time someone gets sick, then don't even bother with opening.
rojo_ag
AG
tysker said:

Bassmaster said:

Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I hope all of you who are pushing for reopening without precautions are calling your local schools and signing up to be substitute teachers. This from a practical point is going to be a huge issue.

We already have signed up to be substitute teachers. If our kids aren't in school, that's exactly what every one of us will be as parents. Oh, and we'll also be doing our regular day jobs as well.
Exactly. It is such a ridiculous argument. Maybe my tax dollars should be spent more efficiently. Lord knows I pay enough. If you can't get a substitute to come in, you aren't paying them enough money that the market dictates.
Or the barrier to entry is too great. Remove the teacher certification or bachelor's degree requirements. Allow for half day subs so people with part time work can take on a class or two. Especially if schools can have remote teachers providing the lecture and leading the classroom, the schools mostly would need an "adult" physically in classroom.

Be creative, be flexible and fail fast.
I think this would actually work. Rethink the concept for this year and get this nightmare over with. In our district whatever a student is doing in distance learning student must have the same instruction in the classroom. Since students on-line are completing asynchronous learning and meeting during office hours for questions, students participating in face-to-face learning could conceivably work on their various subjects online but in the classroom. If they have questions they would ask the monitor/teacher for assistance. If the teacher in the room could not help the student, the student would meet with their subject teacher during virtual office hours. Not an ideal situation obviously for teachers, students, and learning. The idea gets my pedagogical ire flared up. So basically online learning on campus. What would the difference be if a student was in Coast Rica distance learning or in my classroom cohort.?

In addition, I think it might be a good idea for a few families to hire a retired teacher or a teacher that is high risk to monitor/facilitate online learning.in a designated house.
rojo_ag
AG
Dr. Escott interim Public Health official for Travis County stated that if schools in the county open 40 - 1300 students may die in TRAVIS county alone: 70% infection rate. IFR 0.03% to 1.02%

I feel this is irresponsible tabulation and reporting of the numbers, and I am a lib and have really thought Escott has been on top of this the entire way.
rojo_ag
AG
tysker said:

rojo_ag said:

Quote:

But thats the best thing about online learning. Throw a $200 TV in the classroom and stream in the same video feed the online students are getting. Remote teaching requires no additional labor. If done well, the large scale need for substitutes can become a thing of the past.
I like your thinking, and I thought of this as an option. It sounds logical, but it isn't practical to live stream instruction (maybe at high school). I rarely stand in the same place during a lesson. I know that I will have to adjust my style to compensate, but I try to position myself as a facilitator and an expert learner rather than the sage of the stage.

In addition, many students watching a live feed of the class will have a difficult time paying attention without direct and indirect redirection and reminders to stay on task. If it is lived streamed, I will not be able to see the students who are participating on-line. It is much more effective to meet with students who are participating in asynchronous learning and meeting with me during office hours to ask questions and guide them through challenging content. Also working with a class of students on Zoom or Google Hangout has more advantages than live streaming.
It would work best undoubtedly for older or more mature kids. Its no different than video conferencing tech thats been around for decades. My wife took an Oceanography course synchronous with TAMU-Galveston back in the late 90s and the prof floated between the two campuses as needed. All the students and the prof could see each other and interact; it wasn't sexy but didn't have to be.

If I could see my online students, I would be in!
Bruce Almighty
AG
rojo_ag said:

Dr. Escott interim Public Health official for Travis County stated that if schools in the county open 40 - 1300 students may die in TRAVIS county alone: 70% infection rate. IFR 0.03% to 1.02%

I feel this is irresponsible tabulation and reporting of the numbers, and I am a lib and have really thought Escott has been on top of this the entire way.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Travis County hasn't even had 200 deaths total.
Keegan99
AG
Neither of those figures are sensible given what is known about the characteristics of this virus.

This is how officials destroy public trust.
rojo_ag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

rojo_ag said:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Travis County hasn't even had 200 deaths total.
Agreed.
rojo_ag
AG
Keegan99 said:

Neither of those figures are sensible given what is known about the characteristics of this virus.

This is how officials destroy public trust.
Haha! I was about send a post evoking your name. Honestly, when I heard Escott on the news, I thought, "What is Keegan going to think about this?"

This is indeed "how officials destroy public trust." Do the Germans have a word for disgusted and disappointed at the same time?
bmart97
AG
I cannot see how the economy can reopen if kids don't go back to school. So many businesses are hanging on by a thread. Politicians have no idea of the repercussions when businesses are nonexistent and cannot be taxed. Teachers are going to get a break, but they will be hit in the pocketbooks when the tax dollars aren't around to meet budgets. This is not a good thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.