Reopening Schools

215,871 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. Bellaire was back at school for one day. One positive case and now shut down. That is horrible for those kids from an educational standpoint and a mental health standpoint. HISD has lost thousands of kids that have not even logged on. There is no science behind this.
tylercsbn9
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Yep. Bellaire was back at school for one day. One positive case and now shut down. That is horrible for those kids from an educational standpoint and a mental health standpoint. HISD has lost thousands of kids that have not even logged on. There is no science behind this.

There's 10+ schools that did the same in HISD apparently

And bellaire simply closed fir a presumed positive

Thank goodness Cy fair isn't doing the same nonsense. There's been one case at my son's middle school in 6+ weeks. Kid was even in his class and he didn't even have to quarantine.
InternetFan02
AG
Keegan99 said:

Want a predictor of whether or not schools in an area will reopen?

Don't look at any COVID related metrics. Look at Trump vote share.

So much SCIENCE!
this is amazing if the data is accurate and pinpoints exactly what has been observed anecdotally. Great use of data
culdeus
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Keegan99 said:

So much SCIENCE!
this is amazing if the data is accurate and pinpoints exactly what has been observed anecdotally. Great use of data

I think the counter point would be something like this https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june

I expect the "but cases don't matter" crowd to pile on any second though.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

There's 10+ schools that did the same in HISD apparently

And bellaire simply closed fir a presumed positive

Thank goodness Cy fair isn't doing the same nonsense. There's been one case at my son's middle school in 6+ weeks. Kid was even in his class and he didn't even have to quarantine.

What is being done to these kids is criminal. Abbott and the TEA should step up to put a stop to this nonsense, but he's too worried about pandering for his re-election.
amercer
AG
That's a super cool graph. However the initial pandemic, for reasons of geography not policy, was heavily in blue states. So picking June 1 to start the count is a little unfair. At some point soon I would expect most states to be through their first phase, and then we might actually see differences based on policy.
AustinAg2K
In my district, it seems like over the past two weeks we've been seeing 2-3 positives reported just about every day. That's across the district, but it seems like nearly all have been at the high school level. Interestingly, it seems like about 50% of the positives they report are from teachers, despite there being far less teachers than students. I suspect that means there is asymptomatic spread going on in the school. To my knowledge, no one has needed hospitalization.
DripAG08
AG
We've had a few kids test positive in Dripping. District seems to be handling the tracing okay, but at the end of the day the kids that have gotten it have all been fine and ready to be back at school the next day.
duck79
AG
Prosper ISD just announced that if a person was wearing face coverings while in close contact with someone who tested positive then they will be excluded from having to quarantine.

Great news. Progress on the crazy tracing protocols.
Smokedraw01
duck79 said:

Prosper ISD just announced that if a person was wearing face coverings while in close contact with someone who tested positive then they will be excluded from having to quarantine.

That has been our policy all along. Overall, our district is doing okay except a few high schools have the highest cases. One has 18 confirmed and the other has 7 confirmed.
dermdoc
AG
culdeus said:

InternetFan02 said:

Keegan99 said:

So much SCIENCE!

I think the counter point would be something like this https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june

I expect the "but cases don't matter" crowd to pile on any second though.

Not meaning to pileup but why do cases matter? Unless they are sick?

Actually is a good thing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
zachsccr
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

duck79 said:

That has been our policy all along. Overall, our district is doing okay except a few high schools have the highest cases. One has 18 confirmed and the other has 7 confirmed.
Wait, did the symptomatic kid have to be in a mask for the others to be exempt or are you exempt if you were near the COVID+ person but had your mask? Masks don't stop you getting it, they slow the spread when done correctly. I'm glad the district isn't losing their minds over it, but it still doesn't seem to make much sense.
Keegan99
AG

Now the lightbulb has gone on at the NYT.
amercer
AG
Hearts and minds.

Much easier to win when everyone acknowledges the same set of facts. Schools should be open. Close bars if you've got too much community spread.
cone
AG
hearts and minds?

is that what is driving the about face?
amercer
AG
I don't think people are trying to punish kids. People in this bubble either think 1) that the virus is much more dangerous for kids than it is 2) that schools will accelerate community spread or 3) that we don't know enough about long term effects of the virus.

I'm a scientist. I can understand lots of things, but that doesn't mean I can convince the mom sitting next to me a soccer practice that her kids are at zero risk (statistically)

Certainly the teachers unions are a huge impediment. But the driving force behind that is that a lot of them think they will die from Covid. They are wrong, but who exactly is the trusted messenger to convince them of that?

[Reminder, Ags - Keep the political comments off this forum. Go post it on the Political Forum instead. Please see WatchOle's thread stickied at the top of this page. - Staff]
AgResearch
AG
Several schools in my area are pulling in lower elementary kids to full time, in-person instruction. No more hybrid models. All due to horrific literacy assessments.
The Fife
Another data point, Charleston County School District (where I live in SC) reopened about a month and a half ago. No closures or any problems that I'm aware of have popped up.

Day care opened around June. Since then it was closed for a couple of days because a kid who was last there 3 weeks prior tested positive, and for the reminder of the week a couple months later because a couple of people who run the place tested positive after feeling slightly off for a few days then food lost its taste.

From my perspective things feel more or less normal.
jopatura
AG
There's a case at my daughter's elementary school. We didn't get a close contact email, so we'll see what happens tomorrow morning. I'm interested to see if the PE teacher and some of the specials teachers are there. We didn't tell my daughter, didn't want to freak her out. We'll see how the school handles it and go from there.
GAC06
AG
Is your daughter at risk? If not, and the possibility of being exposed may freak her out perhaps you should educate her on the risk to children.
jopatura
AG
No but she's a germaphobe (before all this happened, Covid wasn't the cause).
MasterAggie
AG
Our school has had about 12-14 positives students and staff combined. A lot of "suspected" cases but almost all of them turn out negative or get an alternative diagnosis. I really thought we would freak out and shut things down but am pleasantly surprised that we just keep rolling along.
culdeus
AG
Kid failed the screening and needed testing along with sibling, should be ok to return with -PCR based on the fact the symptoms are Grade 1. It seems a decent system.
wreckncrew
AG
We are doing work for a small district in TX. I have asked their superintendent about their cases. They have had a few come up positive and they send him and their siblings home. The interesting thing he told me is that at the beginning of the school year, there were about 90 students that were going to stay home for online learning. Within the first 6 weeks, a bot 70 of those kids have come back to in person learning.
amercer
AG
Draft proposal for metrics to reopen schools in my county. Need cases to be less than 3/100,000 for my kid to go back to school.

Special needs kids back at less than 10/100,000 which is what we are currently near, but as this is a draft proposal I do expect it to get scrapped.
Drawkcab
Most schools in the Panhandle have discontinued virtual school at home or will discontinue it beginning with the third six weeks. Apparently a lot of the kids are failing or doing badly so they have to go to school now.
Diggity
AG
At my kids school in HISD, my daughter's friend was sitting (6 feet) from a classmate who is a "presumed" case. Daughter's friend has to stay home for two weeks regardless of whether or not "presumed" case comes back positive or not. Seems silly.

fightingfarmer09
Local ISD is now requiring teachers to spend 3 days a week doing mandatory in person lessons for virtual students because grades are so bad. They are on a shortened schedule, so it now means their planning and prep time is now used to teach special section of the same material, but for online students that are being required to come in-person after "school" is over.

cone
AG
whoa
culdeus
AG
Diggity said:

At my kids school in HISD, my daughter's friend was sitting (6 feet) from a classmate who is a "presumed" case. Daughter's friend has to stay home for two weeks regardless of whether or not "presumed" case comes back positive or not. Seems silly.

My kids tested negative about 36hrs after the test, remote school two days and went back today.
HumbleAg04
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Local ISD is now requiring teachers to spend 3 days a week doing mandatory in person lessons for virtual students because grades are so bad. They are on a shortened schedule, so it now means their planning and prep time is now used to teach special section of the same material, but for online students that are being required to come in-person after "school" is over.

Just read this out loud to my SLP wife who has been back in person since 2nd week of August and is OVER catering to online leaners. She had some choice words and was immediately enraged. Feel bad for the staff at your local ISD.
fightingfarmer09
HumbleAg04 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Just read this out loud to my SLP wife who has been back in person since 2nd week of August and is OVER catering to online leaners. She had some choice words and was immediately enraged. Feel bad for the staff at your local ISD.

We got an update today:
My wife teaches. Thankfully there is tremendous pushback on this designed plan and they have promised a new proposal by next week.

Our new superintendent is from the Midwest originally, and refuses to remove the online learning option. I think over 70% of those students are failing. And a significant number of those students have averages <20%.

The HS admin is pushing for a return to a full day schedule with a portion of the day will be dedicated to remediation, which will basically reboot the year for those kids that have accomplished NOTHING all year.

They have been told that grades need to be "massaged" to ensure buy-in and give the potential for these kids to get course credit through remediation.
AustinAg2K
It's interesting how different every school is handling this. My SIL's kid's private school in Dallas is apparently considering going virtual (they've been open the whole time) because they just had to quarantine an entire class.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.