Reopening Schools

216,546 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
EdmondsWay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
districts are required to offer a full 5 day a week in school and at home learning option.

TEA made that clear on Monday in our meeting.
88planoAg
AG
EdmondsWay said:

districts are required to offer a full 5 day a week in school and at home learning option.

TEA made that clear on Monday in our meeting.
Interesting that Laredo and other districts made the decision to do 100% online just about simultaneously with the TEA announcement. I guess they have to go back to the drawing board?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Yet TEA is afraid to work in person. Such is life. They are still at home.
Aust Ag
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Ok - makes sense it's just for summer.
Yeah, I don't think they can be expected to put on their full football uniform at home, then drive home with it on.
EdmondsWay
AG
We arent sure about those districts who made full online learning decisions. Still lots of grey area to figure out.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
All teachers are immediately thinking the required fire drills--laws will have to be changed because these pack the halls as kids are certainly not spaced at a school for 3000. And the idea is to get out of the building in a hurrty.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
If TEA thinks schools should be required to offer 5 days a week in school, why are they working from home until January? They believe that all of the faculty and staff at schools should be able to perform their job in a safe manor and not contract or spread the virus...BUT...they need to keep working from home in order to stay safe and help stop the spread.
tysker
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Yet TEA is afraid to work in person. Such is life. They are still at home.
They should take a proportional pay cut as well like many of us already have. And they're acknowledging they don't need office space and support staff. All of the overhead costs should be re-budgeted elsewhere or paid back to taxpayers.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
My interpretation of reading the guidelines,for a fire drill, everyone would be required to wear masks, and thus would be in compliance with the guidelines (i.e. when social distancing is not possible, wear a mask)

I think the reality is, everyone will be wearing masks in class, and when they are spread out, taking them off. Masks will be tied to the hip basically.

Maybe I am reading it wrong.
Knucklesammich
Not entirely accurate. They are opening the office for those that want an office environment. I'll check on the date for that and will edit when I get it.

Its important to note that they share their building with multiple agencies (including the Railroad Commission). I can't recall the total number but its an ant hill for sure.

Also important to note as you have reminded many in terms of you and your team's at risk nature, the agency has a very large number of people in their late 50's through 60's as they hire many retired admins and teachers and/or teachers with a ton of experience looking to expand their resume's.

I've mentioned before that I have a close relative in leadership there and they will be going back to work onsite at least part time later this summer.

They have multiple school aged children, early 40s. For them this isn't just some abstract bureaucratic decision. They remind me that there are two issues driving re-opening:

1) Funding...TEA also distributes federal funds and allocation is tied to attendance written around schools being open.

2) Schools are a massive social safety net to the poorest and defenseless among us...poor children. Distance learning makes teachers feel safe yes. Distance learning makes those of us (including myself) able to protect my kids (for a while anyway). It doesn't help hundreds of thousands of kids whose education is the mission of teachders, admins, etc.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
No one wants distance learning.

But if you try to call TEA, the people who answer on most teacher issues say that they are working from home through December.

Let's see the commissioner volunteer to be a subsitute teacher for a week and I might trust him

We want safety precautions and parents self check just does not cut it. Kids will throw up in class and say they threw up all night and parents still send them to school. TEA said the ten percent attendance rule will stay in place. So between the two they will still be sending sick kids. So REQUIRE temp checks. Not say specidifally that parents can self screen cause for it just does not happen in the real world.
Knucklesammich
They in fact have been ordered to lower headcount by ~10% before the end of the year (that was announced internally). They have been notified to expect a similar if not more severe reductions in the Spring.

This is on top of several reductions in the years before.

I can't speak to crediting back on building costs but that would apply to all agencies who shut down offices. In terms of admin costs, the family member is at the director level and doesn't have an admin so not sure how much savings you would get.

Of course the same could be said at the local level around schools being shut down this spring. If we go full remote and by default it requires less teachers could districts use that as a way to balance budgets and eliminate heads to lower costs or credit back to us. I am of course playing devil's advocate and don't think this should be the case but its a slippery slope.
jenn96
AG
TEA =/= classroom teachers. That's like saying that because fabrication workers have to be on site, everyone in their company needs to be on site including office staff. Its entirely reasonable to keep everyone out of the office if possible, but for those whose jobs require they be in-person to expect them to come in (with guidelines and protection).

Classroom teachers are essential workers, especially in the younger grades. The experience of the spring taught a lot of parents that who may have taken them for granted, or not truly realized how hard it is to make a bored 7 year old learn when they don't want to. The socialization and peer learning are very important to young kids as well (all kids really) and teachers are integral to that.
murphyag
AG
Knucklesammich said:

They in fact have been ordered to lower headcount by ~10% before the end of the year (that was announced internally). They have been notified to expect a similar if not more severe reductions in the Spring.

I can't speak to crediting back on building costs but that would apply to all agencies who shut down offices. In terms of admin costs, the family member is at the director level and doesn't have an admin so not sure how much savings you would get.

Of course the same could be said at the local level around schools being shut down this spring. If we go full remote and by default it requires less teachers could districts use that as a way to balance budgets and eliminate heads to lower costs or credit back to us. I am of course playing devil's advocate and don't think this should be the case but its a slippery slope.

Personally, as a parent, I feel that all TEA staff members should be working in the office 100% if they deem it safe for schools to open in 5 weeks. If a school is safe, then the TEA office should be even safer than a school building. I also think that it is important for TEA officials to be seen in public schools over the next few months. They shouldn't be allowed to hide away in their homes or office. The rest of us have had to get on with our lives and jobs. I don't like their hypocrisy. Please share that with your relative that works for TEA.
Knucklesammich
3rd Generation Ag said:

No one wants distance learning.

But if you try to call TEA, the people who answer on most teacher issues say that they are working from home through December.

Let's see the commissioner volunteer to be a subsitute teacher for a week and I might trust him

We want safety precautions and parents self check just does not cut it. Kids will throw up in class and say they threw up all night and parents still send them to school. TEA said the ten percent attendance rule will stay in place. So between the two they will still be sending sick kids. So REQUIRE temp checks. Not say specidifally that parents can self screen cause for it just does not happen in the real world.
Firstly they can work from home until December. Of the direct reports of my family members there are 3 of the 6 who want to return to the office (2 are in their late 50s).

What is your plan to make it safe enough for you to return?

So Temp checks will satisfy you from a safety perspective? Your district can easily mandate that? Of course what do you do with the kids who are sick until they can be picked up? What protections to the parents (typically poor) who are on some sort of shift work from being fired...wait that ties into a ton of the spike we are already seeing and overlaps into a whole other type of oversight.

Look, these decisions are obviously not made by someone who woke up from a nap and just decided. There has to be a balance between what is allowed by statute, what is feasible at scale and what is feasible by cost and have them all be effective. I am not directly involved but have seen the time and effort to try and find the best answers across thousands of questions and contingencies (see above).

jenn96
AG
Quote:

Personally, as a parent, I feel that all TEA staff members should be working in the office 100% if they deem it safe for schools to open in 5 weeks. If a school is safe, then the TEA office should be even safer than a school building.
But that's not true. The main reason schools are safer is because they're full of kids who are not transmission vectors for the disease. The danger to teachers comes form the other adults on campus for the most part, and the ratio of kids to adults is favorable.

An office building full of adults is actually a high-risk situation depending on closely they are seated and spaced.
Knucklesammich
murphyag said:

Knucklesammich said:

Personally, as a parent, I feel that all TEA staff members should be working in the office 100% if they deem it safe for schools to open in 5 weeks. If a school is safe, then the TEA office should be even safer than a school building. I also think that it is important for TEA officials to be seen in public schools over the next few months. They shouldn't be allowed to hide away in their homes or office. The rest of us have had to get on with our lives and jobs. I don't like their hypocrisy. Please share that with your relative that works for TEA.
This relative will be going back to the office as soon as schools re-open and they are allowed back into the office. They have children so on top of what has become a 7 day 100+ hours a week job they are taking care of multiple kids.

They also travel a ton during the school year. In years past it was 40%-50% of the time before budget cuts pulled that back in recent years. Its a common complaint at least in their group that it is harder to be effective if they can't be on campuses more and this isn't luxurious travel this is the Super 8 in the Panhandle in January.

In terms of being on campus that is a function of budget as much as it is intent (see above).

I also think in terms of schools being open, will teachers focused on remote learning be allowed to work from home? I assume that's a district decision. What defines doors being open? I'm not certain, I haven't asked. I don't know but the outcome of surveys will tell the story here.
As a parent I can enroll them in virtual learning if I choose. I have worked from home for years, and travel for work (though I'm under a travel ban at the moment) and will send my kids back to school if at all possible. I have a soon to be first grader with autism, the socialization is nearly as important as the actual education and frankly not sure how you can do distance learning at that age effectively without falling significantly behind.

murphyag
AG
Knucklesammich said:

murphyag said:

Knucklesammich said:

This relative will be going back to the office as soon as schools re-open and they are allowed back into the office. They have children so on top of what has become a 7 day 100+ hours a week job they are taking care of multiple kids.

They also travel a ton during the school year. In years past it was 40%-50% of the time before budget cuts pulled that back in recent years. Its a common complaint at least in their group that it is harder to be effective if they can't be on campuses more and this isn't luxurious travel this is the Super 8 in the Panhandle in January.

In terms of being on campus that is a function of budget as much as it is intent (see above).

I also think in terms of schools being open, will teachers focused on remote learning be allowed to work from home? I assume that's a district decision. What defines doors being open? I'm not certain, I haven't asked. I don't know but the outcome of surveys will tell the story here.
As a parent I can enroll them in virtual learning if I choose. I have worked from home for years, and travel for work (though I'm under a travel ban at the moment) and will send my kids back to school if at all possible. I have a soon to be first grader with autism, the socialization is nearly as important as the actual education and frankly not sure how you can do distance learning at that age effectively without falling significantly behind.

I'm not arguing about whether kids need to be back in school or not. I'm saying that if TEA says that it is safe for teachers, students, support staff, etc. to be physically present in the school building then ALL TEA employees should also be physically present in the TEA office building. They need to practice what they preach. TEA office building would be a much safer place in terms of virus exposure compared to a public school. Lots of adults work in schools- teachers, admins, office staff, paraprofessionals, janitors, cafeteria employees, etc. Plus, there are large amounts of daily visitors- parents, volunteers, delivery men, etc. that are in and out of the building each day.
tysker
AG
Quote:

The main reason schools are safer is because they're full of kids who are not transmission vectors for the disease. The danger to teachers comes form the other adults on campus for the most part, and the ratio of kids to adults is favorable.
Knucklesammich
Its not the TEA office building its the Travis building in downtown Austin, shared by multiple agencies and subject to State of Texas guidelines for opening.

I think there are something like 2,000 people that work in that building. You don't need a badge to enter once you are in the front door and there are a ton of people in and out of it. You can get a golfball onto the lawn of the Capitol with a couple of decently hit golf shots.

All that said, I agree they should be in the office and many would like to be. They were set to return earlier (I heard that particular call on speaker) prior to this latest spike.

I also think its fair to ask the districts how they are going to handle their more at risk adult populations and distance learning teachers (assuming you'll have to have teacher focus on that area seperate from in class education).
Big Al 1992
AG
UIL is releasing guides for fall football on Friday.
Knucklesammich
So checked on the TEA work in the office question. Key staff has been in the building as has the commissioner and other members of senior leadership.

Plan is to begin opening the offices on Monday. I believe that piece is voluntary.
88planoAg
AG
Knucklesammich said:

So checked on the TEA work in the office question. Key staff has been in the building as has the commissioner and other members of senior leadership.

Plan is to begin opening the offices on Monday. I believe that piece is voluntary.
I wish I could find a link to this posted publicly somewhere.
Knucklesammich
88planoAg said:

Knucklesammich said:

I wish I could find a link to this posted publicly somewhere.
Me too, but I don't think they even thought about making a press release, etc. I know that plans had been made for earlier in the summer but the protests and spike delayed that.

I want to bash big brother as much as the next person but I've seen the work that districts and the state are putting in to try and come up with the best solution(s) possible while playing a game whose rules are constantly changing and you're not sure if you are shooting a ball in a hoop or kicking in a goal and what a made shot scores.

P.U.T.U
AG
Garland announced the first 3 weeks would be virtual
Smokedraw01
The governor said yesterday that schools must close down for 5 days once a kid is C+. So we'll get to see them the first day at least.
DripAG08
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

The governor said yesterday that schools must close down for 5 days once a kid is C+. So we'll get to see them the first day at least.

Is that official?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
5 day closure for 1 positive is not in the guidelines TEA published. If he said it, I would like to see the actual video of it. Abbott is a mess.
SpringAg92
P.U.T.U said:

Garland announced the first 3 weeks would be virtual

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/10/texas-reopening-schools-teachers-coronavirus/

" On a call with superintendents Thursday, Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath acknowledged superintendents wanted more guidance on how to let more staff work remotely. He suggested they make good use of a three-week transition period Texas is allowing school districts this fall, during which school districts can stay virtual and get their safety protocols ironed out before bringing more students to campuses. Districts that keep their buildings closed past the three-week period will lose state funding."
chap
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

5 day closure for 1 positive is not in the guidelines TEA published. If he said it, I would like to see the actual video of it. Abbott is a mess.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas/gov-greg-abbott-face-masks-shutdown-covid-19-numbers-schools-athletics/287-35841a5c-3a7f-44eb-84f5-65a6f155ca30

Here is the video. And it makes no sense. This contradicts what TEA guidelines have said.
SpringAg92
Here is the text from the video that was posted:

"For schools across the state, if anyone in that school tests positive, that school will close down for five days to clear out the school, to sanitize it, to make it clear and clean for students return," Abbott said.
Aust Ag
AG
SpringAg92 said:

Here is the text from the video that was posted:

"For schools across the state, if anyone in that school tests positive, that school will close down for five days to clear out the school, to sanitize it, to make it clear and clean for students return," Abbott said.
That's ridiculous. How is the single mom going to schedule her work, having to stay home, go back to work, stay home, go back to work etc.? Because you know that's what's going to end up happening.

This needs to be treated like any other kid that comes down with a fever at school, send them home until they haven't had a fever for 24 hours. Then they come back. Same thing with faculty.
Keegan99
AG
That is gobsmackingly foolish, is entirely driven by irrational fear, and is not a viable policy.

We're not trying to solve a problem that hasn't already been solved. Just do what Sweden did!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I work at a middle school with around 800 students and about 60 faculty/staff. If we have to close every time ONE person test positive, we will be closing often. It will be even worse for HS campuses that have 2000 and 3000 students. I'm not against going back to school, I just think that it isn't well thought out. This school year is going to be a sh*t show.
amercer
AG
Keegan99 said:

That is gobsmackingly foolish, is entirely driven by irrational fear, and is not a viable policy.

We're not trying to solve a problem that hasn't already been solved. Just do what Sweden did!

Don't you work in policy? Seems like you could find a more important audience than Texags

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.