Reopening Schools

214,990 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
rojo_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am a teacher in the Austin area. I'm trying to wrap my head around how we will reopen schools by August. Opening schools is essential to fully reopening our state and country. Is opening in August realistic? Will districts push start dates? I can't imagine that we will return without strict social distancing measures in place. I really want to be in the classroom with my students since distance learning has so many limitations.

What will our new normal in schools look like once we return?

Here is a few thoughts that I have regarding guidelines we may follow.

All students, faculty, and staff must wear masks. (What about elementary students? What do we do with students who do not have masks? Will we have enough to distribute? Will bandannas or other face coverings suffice?)

All students, faculty, and staff will have their temperatures checked before entering. (Where do students with temperatures go? How much of a bottleneck will this create at the beginning of each day?)

Lunches held in classrooms.

Passing periods are staggered to reduce the amount of students in hallways.

Teachers provide hand sanitizer as students enter the classroom. (Is this too excessive? Will campuses have enough?)

Visitors to campus are limited and screened.

No extracurricular activities.

No dressing out for P.E. or athletics

Students have their temperatures checked as they enter the bus in the morning. (Will every bus need a parent or community volunteer to check temperatures?)

More restrictive steps:

• 65+ or people with underlying health conditions not allowed on campus. (Many administrators, teachers, and staff will not be able to work)
  • Students come to school every other day based on their last name. (This will required parents to find or provide child care half of the week).

Issues that must also be considered: Buses, emergency drills, dismissal, car rider pick up, class sizes (I average 28 in each of my classes)

So, I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions. Maybe many of these steps will not be necessary. Thanks for taking the time to consider this!

Edit: I forgot to add: Will a campus have to shut down if someone on campus tests positive?

88planoAg
AG
Well first, that is like 5 years from now in Covid time so I'm trying not to project that far in the future.

I very much hope we are back to almost normal by mid summer. Otherwise that is going to screw with a lot more than just reopening school for classes - there is summer sport practice and summer band, just to mention 2. I haven't let myself think about that yet.

Also, here are the criteria from the WH for opening back up. Unless we have a resurgence of cases, it looks like we will comfortably be in Phase 3 by August so here is hoping just good hygiene will be enough.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#phase-one
Mookie
AG
We're talking about something 4 months from now. We've been on lockdown for 4 weeks. I'm sure applying what anyone thinks they know now, 4 months into the future, is a fools errand.
fightingfarmer09
I think you are way over thinking this and need to take a deep breath.

Likely it will be minimal changes, and treated like a flu season. When small outbreaks occur you may see a school district make some changes for a week or so. This is already common place in Texas and other states.

Probably increased cleaning. But in Austin you probably could see kids in plastic bubbles, but in the rest of the world it will be business as usual.

You will probably see sports leagues make some form of return this summer.
texan12
Make it an option to go back to school or continue distant learning for those who are able to. Or, allow children to take an additional year off while encouraging employers to allow parents to bring their kids to work.
DTP02
AG
IMO you're viewing the reopening of schools in the wrong way.

There is, IMO, a persuasive argument which many experts would make that closing schools is a counterproductive action. Arguably the best thing we could do relative to K-12 (and, really, PreK-college) is to have them go to school, get infected, and all of a sudden have 15% herd immunity just from that.

Boom, we just eliminated a huge chunk of the population from being spreaders and took a major step in the restoration of our society.

Remember that this virus is highly contagious and virtually safe for healthy schoolage children. The people who need to be protected related to the school setting are at-risk faculty and staff, and at-risk people who live with schoolchildren.

The 6 weeks of lockdown for the rest of our businesses would have been the perfect time to work on building that robust herd immunity among the schoolage population. It's going to be harder to prevent kids from being spreaders while they are infected when businesses are back open. IMO we will look back at that period as a major missed opportunity.

But it is what it is at this point. Open schools in the fall, keep at-risk kids isolated, and either isolate or take precautions with at-risk faculty and staff, depending on the risk factors. Handle kids living with at risk people on a case by case basis depending upon the ability to isolate the at-risk family.
Big Al 1992
AG
And most high schools start end of July with football, band, cheer camps etc. We will have to wait and see how it plays out. More concerning would be criteria to shut back down again. If a HS football player or coach tests positive do they do like the NBA and shut everything down the next day or isolate a.few impacted people and move forward.
texan12
I'd hope extra curriculars are suspended.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
You can't possibly be serious. This isn't going to completely reshape society forever. We are nearing the end of this mess
rojo_ag
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I think you are way over thinking this and need to take a deep breath.

Likely it will be minimal changes, and treated like a flu season. When small outbreaks occur you may see a school district make some changes for a week or so. This is already common place in Texas and other states.

Probably increased cleaning. But in Austin you probably could see kids in plastic bubbles, but in the rest of the world it will be business as usual.

You will probably see sports leagues make some form of return this summer.
Overthinking perhaps, but I don't think that I am overreacting. In the current climate, these seem to be some of the precautions that will be taken. Maybe the best answer is that it is far too early to tell. I have seen reports that some athletic directors want to start football in October, and the mayor of LA said no sports until after Thanksgiving, so people are considering these issues right now.

I so hope you are right, and it will be business as usual in August!
88planoAg
AG
texan12 said:

How can you say that now, in April? Planning for contingencies is one thing, but looking at the criteria to get back to 'normal' I don't see where we should make that decision now, or even have a 'that should be done' from today's perspective.
DTP02
AG
texan12 said:

Make it an option to go back to school or continue distant learning for those who are able to. Or, allow children to take an additional year off while encouraging employers to allow parents to bring their kids to work.

Question: what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to protect the kids? Because the vast majority don't really need any protection from COVID19.

We default to thinking "we must protect the children" in moments of crisis, but the kids don't need it. There have been something like three deaths under 18 in the entire state of NY to COVID19, last I saw recently. Three deaths of kids is tragic, but statistically insignificant from a policy-making perspective.

The answer has to be that you're trying to protect grownups from the kids. That's where the focus has to be.
Post removed:
by user
rojo_ag
AG
Seven said:

You can't possibly be serious. This isn't going to completely reshape society forever. We are nearing the end of this mess
I am being serious. Schools in Denmark opened with one student at a table. Like you, I want this to be much ado about nothing, but I'm concerned that many parents and politicians will not feel safe unless schools take precautions until there is a vaccine. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to teach in this environment. I am healthy and am not afraid of getting sick. My ideas are based on the general population's perceptions. I really hope this perception changes, and we are in Phase III within a month or two. Phase II allows schools to open. Let's hope these precautions will not be necessary.
Fitch
AG
If precedent is any guide the phased reopening will probably be on a county by county or metro area basis. Abbott has alluded to as much.

Rural counties with low COVID cases will probably have a normal school year in the fall. Jury is still out on the larger metro area ISD's.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
As an educator it is your job to allow logic and science to prevail over emotions and irrational fear
Charpie
AG
You mean according to your pastor.

As for the op, there is a new thought being tossed out that absolutely freaks me out. Spring starts for fall sports.
texan12
88planoAg said:

texan12 said:

How can you say that now, in April? Planning for contingencies is one thing, but looking at the criteria to get back to 'normal' I don't see where we should make that decision now, or even have a 'that should be done' from today's perspective.

Aren't we basically shooting from the hip anyway? A gradual shift back to normal seems more appropriate considering the sudden shift from that same normal.
texan12
DTP02 said:

texan12 said:

Question: what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to protect the kids? Because the vast majority don't really need any protection from COVID19.

We default to thinking "we must protect the children" in moments of crisis, but the kids don't need it. There have been something like three deaths under 18 in the entire state of NY to COVID19, last I saw recently. Three deaths of kids is tragic, but statistically insignificant from a policy-making perspective.

The answer has to be that you're trying to protect grownups from the kids. That's where the focus has to be.

The more options we have is for the better. Maybe this will lead to a false sense of security that will put more at ease and more in control. For what's it's worth, do we even know what we're doing now?
fightingfarmer09
Listen I'm going to be blunt, and I'm not directing this specifically at you rojo.

But this whole "until we get a vaccine" nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud. It is foolhardy to stop people's lives for the possibility that a vaccine "may" be created. There are NUMEROUS roadblocks and failures that will likely be ahead in its development and a strong likelihood that it fails completely.

Don't hold your breath for something in R&D. It will always break your heart on the time table, I say that as someone in R&D.
Dddfff
AG
Closing schools outside of NYC was terrible. At least give people a choice to school online or in person.
John Matrix
AG
Yeah, I'm a teacher, and I think everything will be as normal as possible to start the year next year. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some sort of individualized district shutdowns occur in the fall and winter next year in order to quell small outbreaks of the disease. Luckily, we'll be far more prepared for this if or when that happens.
rojo_ag
AG
Seven said:

As an educator it is your job to allow logic and science to prevail over emotions and irrational fear
I am so happy you agree with me! Logic and science should inform our behavior. Unfortunately, based on the human condition and politics, emotions and fear seem to be bigger influences on human behavior.
agdaddy04
AG
Why are kids going to be safer at their parents work than at school?
Post removed:
by user
rojo_ag
AG
So, based on the responses, most either agree that it is too soon to know, my predicted restrictions are most likely not going to happen, or I am overreacting.

I apologize for jumping the gun on this issue since it seems that it is either too soon to predict or it's not that big of an issue.

In hindsight, I should have simply asked, "When schools open in August, what social distancing guidelines will be implemented or will it be business as usual? Perhaps it is too early to tell."

I am ecstatic that school will most likely open in August, I will have a new group of students, and I can go to Aggie football games in the fall!

I don't post often, so I'll learn from this experience.
Sq 17
If the hardworking Drs don't have some more effective treatment regimens by the middle of June. We will be back at drawing board in July.
Charpie
AG
Don't let the haters keep you from posting. Emotions are super high on this board. There are a ton of internet tough guys on TexAgs.
rojo_ag
AG
Charpie said:

Don't let the haters keep you from posting. Emotions are super high on this board. There are a ton of internet tough guys on TexAgs.
Granted, but with the absence of any true dialogue on the topic just critique, an apology felt necessary for wasting people's TexAgs time.

I have to admit that based on the responses, I checked if I had erroneously posted on Forum 16.
Charpie
AG
Ha!
88planoAg
AG
rojo_ag said:

Charpie said:

Don't let the haters keep you from posting. Emotions are super high on this board. Almost every board on Texags. There are a ton of internet tough guys on TexAgs.
Granted, but with the absence of any true dialogue on the topic just critique, an apology felt necessary for wasting people's TexAgs time.

I have to admit that based on the responses, I checked if I had erroneously posted on Forum 16.
FIFY.

My apologies if my posts came off as abrasive. This, thankfully, isn't forum 16 but everywhere has their dander up right now.

I have a hard time focusing on August because it causes me anxiety. NOT anxiety about the virus itself, risk to self, risk to family...nope, but of the potential continued losses and sadness the potential continued closed, stopped, banned, curtailed etc. will happen. And I really do think looking that far forward won't work because there is no predicting where we will be. I say that in a conversational tone, not in a 'what are you thinking' tone. Right?

My HS kid is in band. He is an extrovert and is hurting hard. I can't cope right now with the thought of no band, no Disney trip next spring....so I'm looking short term. Next month. And hoping hard for normal or near normal in August. My college kid is in CS, in his apartment with 3 roommates and seems to be coping quite well. But I can't imagine what fall will be like for him as a Jr. Aggie without what I think of as the Aggie fall experience.

So I just can't project details of how August will look right now. I don't know if that gives you the dialogue you were seeking, probably not, but it gives you more of the why I guess.
agsalaska
AG
Hang in there OP. The best thing to do with the Texags tough guys is to ignore them.

The part I am still struggling with is why are we avoiding the kids all getting it? Seems to me that is a step that is going to absolutely have to happen for us to develop any immunity to it.

I get closing the schools after spring break. I get not opening them in May, though I am not sure I entirely agree with it.

But these kids need to get their lives back to normal as fast as possible. That in my mind is every bit as important as getting the economy 'going' again.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
88planoAg
AG
agsalaska said:

Hang in there OP. The best thing to do with the Texags tough guys is to ignore them.

The part I am still struggling with is why are we avoiding the kids all getting it? Seems to me that is a step that is going to absolutely have to happen for us to develop any immunity to it.

I get closing the schools after spring break. I get not opening them in May, though I am not sure I entirely agree with it.

But these kids need to get their lives back to normal as fast as possible. That in my mind is every bit as important as getting the economy 'going' again.

Is it the kids or is it that kids are vectors to teachers, admins and parents?
DTP02
AG
rojo_ag said:

So, based on the responses, most either agree that it is too soon to know, my predicted restrictions are most likely not going to happen, or I am overreacting.

I apologize for jumping the gun on this issue since it seems that it is either too soon to predict or it's not that big of an issue.

In hindsight, I should have simply asked, "When schools open in August, what social distancing guidelines will be implemented or will it be business as usual? Perhaps it is too early to tell."

I am ecstatic that school will most likely open in August, I will have a new group of students, and I can go to Aggie football games in the fall!

I don't post often, so I'll learn from this experience.

There is no need for you to apologize to anyone or to be offended by a fairly civil (by internet standards) group of responses.

I think we need to be having this conversation early and often, and the primary reason we need to be having it is so people can begin to flip their view on schools from the politically easy decision to keep them closed or under severe restrictions, to the more pragmatic idea of (IMO) allowing schools to ultimately combat the spread and restore some functioning to our society.

The emerging view that this virus is both more contagious and less deadly only further supports my opinion that we have done school closings wrong to this point.

If we go into the fall thinking the goal is to keep kids from getting infected at all, or almost all, costs, then we will be compounding our errors.

It's going to take people a while to wrap their heads around the notion that we don't need to protect kids from getting infected, so we need to be having that discussion now and for the next couple months.
zachsccr
AG
If you look at what we learned about this virus in about a month, think about what we will know in 3-4 more. I am optimistic that we will have a pretty good plan in place for when kids go back to school. The summer extracurricular are another question. Cross country and fall tennis might be ok cause they are so far apart, but football, volleyball, and band? Yeah, that's going to be interesting since they start sooner. I'd like to see an avoidance of as many blanket policies as possible to allow as much normalcy as possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.