Reopening Schools

216,559 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
AggieYankee1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXTransplant said:

AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

How is this different from critical businesses? Everyone is at risk from getting sick. And from what we are told by "scientists" kids dont tend to spread as easily as my co-workers and I do.

What happens when a utility company has a crew go down sick? They find replacements. They adapt. They shift things around. They dont just throw their hands up in the air and say "whelp, no electricity for Plano..."

Just stop already. You know what I'm saying is rigidly abs comparing teachers to lineman is apples to koconuts.

This is not the type of situation you just switch around - teacher goes down there must be SOMEONE to take their place the very next day and THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE.

Most subs are done for the year and will get into the pool - some teachers will quit rather than go back because they are high risk and will (rightly) scared to go back. Some will be there for a couple weeks - get COVID and not return. State law mandates a classroom at a certain size and what your talking about is ridiculous. I noticed how you did not answer my Spanish speaking teacher comment. Must have been an over site.
If your so passionate - let's see you pick up a clip board and march into school and become a sub.... I didn't think so.

I have no idea why people are trying to shove this down our throats. OPEN THE SCHOOLS! OR FIRE THE Teachers!!

Right because after years of call teachers glorified baby sitters - now you can not live with out them?
Please this is only being pushed because trump is pushing it - much like masks.

The logistics of refilling the ranks is not the same as a essential business. Last time I checked if a line man goes down - they just do less work that day or work on another project.
If a teacher does - that spot must be filled by t The next Day! For 14 days.

Give it a rest - stop trying to look smart by going against the grain.

A vaccine is right around the corner - let everyone get it and then we are back in business. Until then - stop trying to put educators lives at risk to satisfy trump/Devos.

No one here has said this. Please don't try to bring that negative energy to this discussion.

Quote a few of us have said teachers going back should be a CHOICE, just like parents should have the choice to send their kids or keep them home.

As far as staffing issues go, that's a problem the admins in the district get paid the big bucks for. Use online classes to fill the gaps. It won't be perfect, but it's better than keeping all kids home.

But, I think it's a lot of worry that will ultimately not pan out. There have been several studies out of Europe that confirm schools are safe because kids don't transmit the virus.

That is NOT TRUE AT ALL.

Students can and will especially the students ages 12-18 ... ya know high school.

And the reason it's not being transmitted in Europe is because they clamp down and solve the problem before they decided to rip it open.

The virus is dying out there because people joined in the fight together while here - we are still deciding whether a mask is worth it.

Keep the kids home - get the vaccine and go back to normal. People are trying to normalize this virus and force ya to 'deal with it' so it doesn't look so bad for trump come November. Period.
I'll say it again - you lose - 5/6 teachers in a 2500 student school.

The year is over - because there are no more SUBS.
909Ag2006
AG
Quote:

Students can and will especially the students ages 12-18 ... ya know high school.

Why not let HS and JR High students do remote learning and have in person for K-4? Remote learning does not work for K-4 students.
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
TXTransplant
AggieYankee1 said:

TXTransplant said:

AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

How is this different from critical businesses? Everyone is at risk from getting sick. And from what we are told by "scientists" kids dont tend to spread as easily as my co-workers and I do.

What happens when a utility company has a crew go down sick? They find replacements. They adapt. They shift things around. They dont just throw their hands up in the air and say "whelp, no electricity for Plano..."

Just stop already. You know what I'm saying is rigidly abs comparing teachers to lineman is apples to koconuts.

This is not the type of situation you just switch around - teacher goes down there must be SOMEONE to take their place the very next day and THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE.

Most subs are done for the year and will get into the pool - some teachers will quit rather than go back because they are high risk and will (rightly) scared to go back. Some will be there for a couple weeks - get COVID and not return. State law mandates a classroom at a certain size and what your talking about is ridiculous. I noticed how you did not answer my Spanish speaking teacher comment. Must have been an over site.
If your so passionate - let's see you pick up a clip board and march into school and become a sub.... I didn't think so.

I have no idea why people are trying to shove this down our throats. OPEN THE SCHOOLS! OR FIRE THE Teachers!!

Right because after years of call teachers glorified baby sitters - now you can not live with out them?

The logistics of refilling the ranks is not the same as a essential business. Last time I checked if a line man goes down - they just do less work that day or work on another project.

A vaccine is right around the corner - let everyone get it and then we are back in business. Until then - stop trying to put educators lives at risk to satisfy trump/Devos.

No one here has said this. Please don't try to bring that negative energy to this discussion.

Quote a few of us have said teachers going back should be a CHOICE, just like parents should have the choice to send their kids or keep them home.

As far as staffing issues go, that's a problem the admins in the district get paid the big bucks for. Use online classes to fill the gaps. It won't be perfect, but it's better than keeping all kids home.

But, I think it's a lot of worry that will ultimately not pan out. There have been several studies out of Europe that confirm schools are safe because kids don't transmit the virus.

That is NOT TRUE AT ALL.

And the reason it's not being transmitted in Europe is because they clamp down and solve the problem before they decided to rip it open.

The virus is dying out there because people joined in the fight together while here - we are still deciding whether a mask is worth it.

You should do a little research...There are several countries in Europe that NEVER shut down schools. Transmission rates were significantly less than adult to adult.

And no one has said that elem school should be handled exactly the same as high school. Anyone who has been paying attention knows the infection rate goes up for teens.

High school already doesn't operate like elementary or middle school. Having a different operating plan now isn't unprecedented.

LB12Diamond
AG
Wow Yankee,

Yes there are teachers that want to do virtual. And as far as I know they are being given that choice.

But many teachers as well as school administrators want school in person.

So many schools are setting up both. Which puts all arguments to the side because teachers and students have an option.

I Commend the schools districts that are working to provide both options. It's unfortunate their are leaders that might not allow that to happen.
HowdyTexasAggies
GAC06
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Just stop already. You know what I'm saying is right and comparing teachers to lineman is apples to koconuts.

Most subs are done for the year and will get will not get into the pool - some teachers will quit rather than go back because they are high risk and will (rightly) scared to go back. Some will be there for a couple weeks - get COVID and not return. State law mandates a classroom at a certain size and what your talking about is ridiculous. I noticed how you did not answer my Spanish speaking teacher comment. Must have been an over site.

Right because after years of calling teachers glorified baby sitters - now you can not live with out them?

If a teacher does - that spot must be filled by The next Day! For 14 days.

A vaccine is right around the corner - let everyone get it and then we are back in business. Until then - stop trying to put educators lives at risk to satisfy trump/Devos
And the need to bully people into doing what you want them to do because you feel like it.

Teachers lives are not expendable.

And maybe if more people wore masks this virus would be more under control - BUT FREEDOM IS MY RIGHT TO GET YOU SICK HUH? Your trying to force people to live with this virus just like trying to get people to accept mass shooting (gotta die of something right?)

Why? Who knows but you won't win.

You're so turned around I don't even know where to begin. Maybe take a breather until you can post a rational thought.
AggieYankee1
GAC06 said:

AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Just stop already. You know what I'm saying is right and comparing teachers to lineman is apples to koconuts.

Most subs are done for the year and will get will not get into the pool - some teachers will quit rather than go back because they are high risk and will (rightly) scared to go back. Some will be there for a couple weeks - get COVID and not return. State law mandates a classroom at a certain size and what your talking about is ridiculous. I noticed how you did not answer my Spanish speaking teacher comment. Must have been an over site.

Right because after years of calling teachers glorified baby sitters - now you can not live with out them?

A vaccine is right around the corner - let everyone get it and then we are back in business. Until then - stop trying to put educators lives at risk to satisfy trump/Devos
And the need to bully people into doing what you want them to do because you feel like it.

And maybe if more people wore masks this virus would be more under control - BUT FREEDOM IS MY RIGHT TO GET YOU SICK HUH? Your trying to force people to live with this virus just like trying to get people to accept mass shooting (gotta die of something right?)

You're so turned around I don't even know where to begin. Maybe take a breather until you can post a rational thought.

I'm still right and your still wrong
GAC06
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

GAC06 said:

AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

I'm still right and your still wrong

You're. An extra credit assignment may salvage your grade but it will be in a classroom.
jenn96
AG
The year is over if we don't have subs? Buddy, if we have online school the year is over on day one.

I am not particularly concerned about my MAGA bonafides. I am extremely concerned about my kids, who desperately need to be in school. You may consider yourself a glorified babysitter but my kid's teachers aren't; they are dedicated professionals who have been invaluable in working with my children, especially my special needs child. Their emotional and educational development can't wait for a vaccine.
GAC06
AG
WHY ARE YOU ARGUING!!! YOU WANT HER TO DIIIIEEEEE?!?!
tjack16
AG
I have a feeling school will be online the entire fall semester. Which will suck.

This feels like it did in March when we closed for "two weeks" and then they kept pushing our return date further back until eventually we couldn't come back
012-MAN
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

If 5-6 teachers go down the school year is over. They simply can not be replaced.

If they can - please tell me how? From everyone vast experience with education.

I am going to be honest with you here. If schools do not open and we are forced to be online for the year, teachers are going to find out how replaceable they are. I would bet virtually any amount of money that Khan Academy will be FAR superior to anything offered by individual school districts.

Once you remove the monopoly of having to learn from your local ISD, all wheels are off and the house of cards will crash down.

[EDIT] A more calmed down version of my post. No one can compete against the internet and the assumption if learnings are to be done remote, there are more effective and better alternatives out there.

Keegan99
AG
Do people think children are not currently gathering in groups under the supervision of adults?

They know day cares and day camps have been open, right?
rojo_ag
AG
First, I have been very consistent with my opinion about this issue. I think teachers are essential workers, and we need to be in the classroom.

Whatever opinion you have about the severity of the virus and how it affects students, the general public, health officials, and leaders are not swayed. The data suggests that schools that have reopened have not experienced spikes in cases. Data also reveals that children may not be spreaders, and children have a minuscule chance of dying form Covid-19. None of this matters. When you have the top health official in Travis County stating that by reopening schools, 40 - 1300+ students potentially could die (in TRAVIS county) that is fear-mongering and extremely irresponsible. I know that and you know that.

Here's the deal. The countries that reopened schools had their positivity rate below 6%. Regardless of how you feel about the validity of the numbers, this is what health officials are following to inform their actions. You may believe that the virus is not severe enough to justify closures or even mitigation strategies in schools. In addition, you my believe that even if there are minimal fatalities associated with reopening schools, this is a small albeit tragic sacrifice for protecting the economy. Most people do not share your viewpoint. At this time, we will not treat this virus like we treat the flu or any other communicable disease. Whatever you think should happen is irrelevant to what is going to happen.

Let's also consider the logistical nightmare reopening schools will create if we continue to strive to slow the spread. I am basing this conversation on the mitigation strategies in Texas schools.

We will socially distance. If districts must either offer 100% "traditional" or 100% online, how many students from low SES homes will attend on campus? Many economically disadvantaged students need meals provided for them. From my understanding, those students who participate online will not be eligible for free or reduced breakfast or lunch. In schools that have a large majority of low SES students, social distancing is going to be virtually impossible.

We will wear masks. Children do not have a deep understanding about mortality. It is going to be difficult for children to understand the significance of PPE. Mask wearing is going to be a challenge for adults and immensely challenging for students. If adults in their households have been demonstrating civil disobedience regarding masks and mandates, this will also cause issues.

Teachers will be members of the Covid 19 Prevention Police. Teachers will spend quite a bit of their instructional time enforcing the mitigation measures that are required on campus. I invite you to my classroom of 30 6th graders. I've taught for 23 years, and I have impeccable classroom management, but they are sixth graders and often suffer from "brain damage." Sometimes, teachers are beaten down and stop enforcing rules and regulations. This will undermine teachers who are attempting to follow mandates. What will be the consequences of a student who refuses to follow the guidelines?

Many, many students, teachers, and staff will miss time. Right now, my family and I are self-isolating. I developed a dry cough last Friday. I am only experiencing one symptom, and my family is not showing any symptoms, but I need to self-isolate for 10 days after I first noticed my cough. In my district, if an employee has any Covid-19 symptom he/she must stay home and self-isolate until fever free for 3 days, 10 days after onset of symptom(s), and a noticeable improvement. Employees may consult with a doctor and have a note that will allow them to return to work as well. Where are the substitutes lined up to take over for employees who are out for many days with congestion. sneezing, coughing, or fever etc.

I'm not even going to discuss issues with assemblies, ARDs, safety drills, cafeteria, locker rooms, and buses.

Unless we decide that we are not going to slow the spread and only use minimal mitigation strategies, this is our reality. Nevertheless, I realize we must open schools. I'm ready to mask up and get started regardless of the challenges.

RGV AG
AG
Quote:

Please forgive me on this as I really don't want it to be interpreted as harsh, but I want it to be fairly blunt.

I posted on this thread earlier that what I do for living and am doing right now, today, is making PPE, Isolation gowns and surgical gowns, for the medical field. It is really needed, plants across the hemisphere are backed up. What if all of us took that same stance?

You mention difficulty with Spanish speakers, we have sewing machine mechanics that are extremely rare and good ones difficult to find, if we lose one we could lose the whole output of hundreds of people. People producing vitally needed supplies. But we have and are working our way around the difficulties as the pop up. We haven't just said "to hell with this, too dangerous". We now have had 4 people have to leave our facility due to having all the symptoms, but due to the jacked up government under which they live, there are no tests to be had.

We have worked probably on average of 70 hours a week since the last week of March, and for about 6 weeks probably 90 hours a week, and for 12 weeks we were able to go without having any indication of a positive case. The big key to this is that to a person in our facility, we ALL WANTED TO MAKE THIS WORK and WE WANTED TO CONTRIBUTE to helping people. We gave anyone who was not comfortable working the opportunity to miss work, unpaid, and they could come back at any time. The two people that left came back to work after one week and are still working today.

We have people with diabetes, high blood pressure, previous heart attacks, overweight, and probably a few other things. But we are doing what we can to accommodate them, and guess what we all have kids at home too right now and the lack of school is hurting us all, in many countries.

What I am saying is if the educational authorities wanted to get kids back to some semblance of normalcy in a school setting they could most certainly do it. The Spanish issue you mention above, real simple to solve. Recruit bi-lingual teachers from any of many countries on an emergency visa and pay them well and they would be here faster than a cheetah with a hot foot. This used to be done and I guarantee you it could be done again.

Getting back to normal and putting all of our school taxes to work in helping this situation would be beneficial to us all.
rojo_ag
AG
GAC06 said:

WHY ARE YOU ARGUING!!! YOU WANT HER TO DIIIIEEEEE?!?!
Loud voices!

Flagged!
AggieYankee1
RGV AG said:

Quote:

Please forgive me on this as I really don't want it to be interpreted as harsh, but I want it to be fairly blunt.

I posted on this thread earlier that what I do for living and am doing right now, today, is making PPE, Isolation gowns and surgical gowns, for the medical field. It is really needed, plants across the hemisphere are backed up. What if all of us took that same stance?

You mention difficulty with Spanish speakers, we have sewing machine mechanics that are extremely rare and good ones difficult to find, if we lose one we could lose the whole output of hundreds of people. People producing vitally needed supplies. But we have and are working our way around the difficulties as the pop up. We haven't just said "to hell with this, too dangerous". We now have had 4 people have to leave our facility due to having all the symptoms, but due to the jacked up government under which they live, there are no tests to be had.

We have worked probably on average of 70 hours a week since the last week of March, and for about 6 weeks probably 90 hours a week, and for 12 weeks we were able to go without having any indication of a positive case. The big key to this is that to a person in our facility, we ALL WANTED TO MAKE THIS WORK and WE WANTED TO CONTRIBUTE to helping people. We gave anyone who was not comfortable working the opportunity to miss work, unpaid, and they could come back at any time. The two people that left came back to work after one week and are still working today.

We have people with diabetes, high blood pressure, previous heart attacks, overweight, and probably a few other things. But we are doing what we can to accommodate them, and guess what we all have kids at home too right now and the lack of school is hurting us all, in many countries.

What I am saying is if the educational authorities wanted to get kids back to some semblance of normalcy in a school setting they could most certainly do it. The Spanish issue you mention above, real simple to solve. Recruit bi-lingual teachers from any of many countries on an emergency visa and pay them well and they would be here faster than a cheetah with a hot foot. This used to be done and I guarantee you it could be done again.

Getting back to normal and putting all of our school taxes to work in helping this situation would be beneficial to us all.

Again apples to koconuts

You lose someone on the line in production goes down You lose three or four teachers and classes simply cannot be taught because there are no substitutes to teach them.
Stop comparing teaching to an assembly line.

That is not the way any of it works. Period!

You lose 5-7 teachers at BISD HIGH SCHOOL and they are done for the semester.

There are no replacements and you can't jam a bunch of kids to together and expect a quality education. Also how many teachers are you willing to watch die... they are soldiers they won't get a bonus - they won't get a raise - they will simply be asked to sacrifice themselves to a public who for so long in Texas as spit on them and called them baby sitters.

Maybe - now you will show them the proper respect and let them live. They aren't doctors or cops. They are educators and It is hard to educate when you are scared for your life when you're 50 years old and have high blood pressure and diabetes and a room of 20it is hard to educate when you are scared for your life when you're 50 years old and have high blood pressure and diabetes in a room of 20+ kids + kids.

If runner high school or Sam Rayburn loses two or three Spanish speakers then you will have a bunch of kids who won't even be able to communicate with the teacher because there are no substitutes that speak Spanish and are willing to put themselves in harms way for $50 a day.
oldag941
AG
As someone stated above, this could be the start of the unwinding of public education. As parents start looking at options to educate their kids (charter, private school, in-home teacher, tutors etc), the longer this "virtual" or no-school goes, the less interested tax paying parents will be in re-entering an organization that starts and stops based on a gut feel and questionable data (or questionable analysis of said data).

I'm interested in the education of my kids. That's priority 1. Given the statistics, I'm not worried about their health and almost as little worried about the teacher's health. So if my public school system cannot provide that quality of education, then I have to find it elsewhere.

As stated by our ISD Superintendent, the district's first (1st) priority is the safety of the students and teachers. I read the plan for one of the "rich" private schools in Dallas. They maintain that their first (1st) priority is the education of the students. 2nd is the health. Once a district or school pivots from education to anything else as their top priority, it's the beginning of the end. Confidence lost. Message not received.

oldag941
AG
You need to chill with loss of life talk and "harms way". Have you seen the statistics? If these statistics have you scared to function in life or career, then you need to change career or lock yourself in your house indefinitely. I can't get over how many people are so fearful of something that is not only extremely rare to get but even more rare to get hospitalized and even more rare to die. Thank goodness this country got rid of the draft or we'd have to hire the French Foreign Legion to fight our wars because people fear any level of risk.
88planoAg
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

AggieYankee1 said:

TXTransplant said:

AggieYankee1 said:

planoaggie123 said:

This is not a discussion - people are trying to say OPEN THE SCHOOLS!! the same way people said OPEN IT UP WITH NO MASKS! MASKS ARE FOR *****S

those type of people were wrong then - and they are wrong now.

If 5-6 teachers go down the school year is over. They simply can not be replaced.

If they can - please tell me how? From everyone vast experience with education.

Please stop. I don't want this thread moved. Itt is 27 pages of reasoned discussion. Stop with the trump stuff.
tysker
AG
There will be teachers working remotely from home. Again, video conference them into the classroom. Your issues are easily solvable with innovation, creativity, flexibility and technology. There is no longer a 'need' for teachers in classrooms for the higher grades.
Complete Idiot
Anything we do will be painful. Yes, it will be harder than usual for teachers and ALL school staff. Yes, it will be harder than usual for students and parents. But I hope that if some parents want virtual and some want in person that the teachers at risk can conduct virtual classes and e younger healthier or willing teachers can teach in person. Trying anything is better than cancelling, even if imperfect and bumpy lets give it a chance. The data shows we can pull this off with a plan that is implemented and enforced top down.
rojo_ag
AG
oldag941 said:

As someone stated above, this could be the start of the unwinding of public education. As parents start looking at options to educate their kids (charter, private school, in-home teacher, tutors etc), the longer this "virtual" or no-school goes, the less interested tax paying parents will be in re-entering an organization that starts and stops based on a gut feel and questionable data (or questionable analysis of said data).

I'm interested in the education of my kids. That's priority 1. Given the statistics, I'm not worried about their health and almost as little worried about the teacher's health. So if my public school system cannot provide that quality of education, then I have to find it elsewhere.

As stated by our ISD Superintendent, the district's first (1st) priority is the safety of the students and teachers. I read the plan for one of the "rich" private schools in Dallas. They maintain that their first (1st) priority is the education of the students. 2nd is the health. Once a district or school pivots from education to anything else as their top priority, it's the beginning of the end. Confidence lost. Message not received.

In public school for as long as I have taught, student safety has always been the first priority.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/443719-school-safety-must-be-a-top-priority-heres-what-parents-can-do
https://www.scott.k12.ky.us/20/News/safeatschool#sthash.EpDFPruq.dpbs
https://www.naesp.org/communicator-january-2013/student-safety-principal-s-first-priority

I could go on. I think the focus on safety is based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Most students are unable to learn if they don't first feel safe.
rojo_ag
AG
oldag941 said:

You need to chill with loss of life talk and "harms way". Have you seen the statistics? If these statistics have you scared to function in life or career, then you need to change career or lock yourself in your house indefinitely. I can't get over how many people are so fearful of something that is not only extremely rare to get but even more rare to get hospitalized and even more rare to die. Thank goodness this country got rid of the draft or we'd have to hire the French Foreign Legion to fight our wars because people fear any level of risk.
From my post above.

"When you have the top health official in Travis County stating that by reopening schools, 40 - 1300+ students potentially could die (in TRAVIS county) that is fear-mongering and extremely irresponsible. I know that and you know that."

TXTransplant
You're an educator...do some homework and educate yourself.

If you choose not to believe it, at least stop spreading your factless, baseless, and made up claims about how many teachers will get sick and die.

And please stop attacking people who would like to see schools opened as blind and brainless Trump supporters who want to sacrifice teachers for their own convenience.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-07-13/german-study-shows-low-coronavirus-infection-rate-in-schools

The study by the University Hospital in Dresden analysed blood samples from almost 1,500 children aged between 14 and 18 and 500 teachers from 13 schools in Dresden and the districts of Bautzen and Goerlitz in May and June.

The largest study conducted in Germany on school children and teachers included testing in schools where there were coronavirus outbreaks.

Of the almost 2,000 samples, only 12 had antibodies, said Reinhard Berner from the University Hospital of Dresden, adding the first results gave no evidence that school children play a role in spreading the virus particularly quickly.

"Children may even act as a brake on infection," Berner told a news conference, saying infections in schools had not led to an outbreak, while the spread of the virus within households was also less dynamic than previously thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN24G2IS

https://www.pasteur.fr/en/press-area/press-documents/covid-19-primary-schools-no-significant-transmission-among-children-students-teachers

Of the 1,340 people included in the study, 139 had been infected by the virus, representing 10.4% of the population under study.
510 students from six primary schools were included in the study. There were three probable cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection in three different schools before the schools closed for the February vacation and then for the lockdown in Crpy-en-Valois. These cases did not give rise to secondary cases among other school students or teaching staff.
The teachers were only marginally affected, with just 3/42 (7.1%) teachers infected in total, a similar figure to the number of parents of non-infected children in the study who were infected by the virus (6.9%). For non-teaching staff, the proportion of infection was 1/28 (3.6%).
culdeus
AG
tysker said:

There will be teachers working remotely from home. Again, video conference them into the classroom. Your issues are easily solvable with innovation, creativity, flexibility and technology. There is no longer a 'need' for teachers in classrooms for the higher grades.

I haven't seen a single proposed solution with a remote teacher to in person kids. That seems unlikely to fly.
TXTransplant
rojo_ag said:

Here's the deal. The countries that reopened schools had their positivity rate below 6%. Regardless of how you feel about the validity of the numbers, this is what health officials are following to inform their actions. You may believe that the virus is not severe enough to justify closures or even mitigation strategies in schools. In addition, you my believe that even if there are minimal fatalities associated with reopening schools, this is a small albeit tragic sacrifice for protecting the economy. Most people do not share your viewpoint. At this time, we will not treat this virus like we treat the flu or any other communicable disease. Whatever you think should happen is irrelevant to what is going to happen.

I would be more than willing to agree to that strategy IF health officials worked with schools on a district by district, and even zip code by zip code basis, especially in counties as geographically large as Harris Co.

I posted in the Houston thread earlier today that there is a huge difference in the numbers of active cases in the county vs the City of Houston. CoH has 4x the number of active cases.

The best decision for HISD May be totally irrelevant to schools in League City or Tomball.

We should be working to open as many schools as possible, not blanketly closing them all.
tysker
AG
culdeus said:

tysker said:

I haven't seen a single proposed solution with a remote teacher to in person kids. That seems unlikely to fly.

Why except for the want of an adult in the room. Its cheap and a nice solution when schools have labor restraints. The information taught doesn't change whether or not the teacher is physically present. Of course this would mainly be for older kids. Colleges could have similar setups (my wife did while at A&M).

Eta: i only propose as a temporary solution. But schools and districts need to be creative and flexible
rojo_ag
AG
TXTransplant said:

rojo_ag said:

I would be more than willing to agree to that strategy IF health officials worked with schools on a district by district, and even zip code by zip code basis, especially in counties as geographically large as Harris Co.

I posted in the Houston thread earlier today that there is a huge difference in the numbers of active cases in the county vs the City of Houston. CoH has 4x the number of active cases.

The best decision for HISD May be totally irrelevant to schools in League City or Tomball.

We should be working to open as many schools as possible, not blanketly closing them all.
You ARE absolutely correct! One size does not fit all.
cc_ag92
AG
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that a classroom of unsupervised college students would behave dramatically differently from a classroom of unsupervised high school students.
tysker
AG
cc_ag92 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that a classroom of unsupervised college students would behave dramatically differently from a classroom of unsupervised high school students.

Depends on the class and students doesn't it? HS kids can regulate themselves and expect classmates to respect the classroom environment. College students fall asleep and play games on their phone too. Video conferencing usually allows for two way video and conversation or least since the year 2003.
RGV AG
AG

Quote:

Again apples to koconuts
No it isn't by any means, you may think that, but it shows you have no understand of many industrial processes.
Quote:

You lose someone on the line in production goes down You lose three or four teachers and classes simply cannot be taught because there are no substitutes to teach them.
Stop comparing teaching to an assembly line.
We loose a mechanic that has the "tribal knowlege", not book teachable, of how to adjust equipment for different fabric lots and or repair the computerized motors we use, we start stopping slowly but absolutely surely. We use hand cutting, again a trade that takes years to learn to do well and safely, we only have 2 qualified people. Loose them and the production of over 80 people stops. Same with pattern making and a couple of other processes. It is not all about "line work"
Quote:

You lose 5-7 teachers at BISD HIGH SCHOOL and they are done for the semester.
We loose 3 people, and or any one of them and output of critically needed medical supplies slows if not stops. What is different there?

What we did, was take steps and put in processes that protected them. If you tell me that this could not be done with teachers I would not believe you. If you tell me that you could not have distance directing of qualified subs, I would not believe you.
Quote:

There are no replacements and you can't jam a bunch of kids to together and expect a quality education. Also how many teachers are you willing to watch die... they are soldiers they won't get a bonus - they won't get a raise - they will simply be asked to sacrifice themselves to a public who for so long in Texas as spit on them and called them baby sitters.
Neither will the people making PPE, and across the world so American medical staff has what they need, to help and serve teachers and others, people are making between $0.60 to about $1.60 an hour. Do their lives not matter or because they live outside of the US they are expendable?
Quote:

Maybe - now you will show them the proper respect and let them live. They aren't doctors or cops. They are educators and It is hard to educate when you are scared for your life when you're 50 years old and have high blood pressure and diabetes and a room of 20it is hard to educate when you are scared for your life when you're 50 years old and have high blood pressure and diabetes in a room of 20+ kids + kids.
When I have ever run down teachers? Please find and cite, I do not appreciate you inferring thoughts and positions onto me, just like I don't know you, you don't know me. At no time have I run down people. I am 52 years old and busting my sagging fat ass getting as many isolation gowns into suppliers that desperately filling CDC contracts. I am not cowering in fear of the possible, yet probably unlikely worst case scenario.
Quote:

If runner high school or Sam Rayburn loses two or three Spanish speakers then you will have a bunch of kids who won't even be able to communicate with the teacher because there are no substitutes that speak Spanish and are willing to put themselves in harms way for $50 a day.
Give it a few months and lots of people in the US are gonna be busting their ass for $50 a day.

Maybe if all the over paid administrators and other fluff, not to mention the palatial physical plants, weren't present in most school systems across the United States there would be more money to incentivize both teachers and their substitutes. Not to mention enact plans and processes to protect them as much as possible in a dire situation that is not going away any time soon.
cc_ag92
AG
RGV AG said:

What we did, was take steps and put in processes that protected them. If you tell me that this could not be done with teachers I would not believe you. If you tell me that you could not have distance directing of qualified subs, I would not believe you.

Out of curiosity, what processes did you put into place? It sounds like you've been successful.
RGV AG
AG
cc_ag92 said:

RGV AG said:

Out of curiosity, what processes did you put into place? It sounds like you've been successful.
To give you a brief explanation by bullet point:
  • Everyone that enters the facility, everyone, has the temp taken. Anything remotely high, and they are not allowed in.
  • All employees have their temperature taken twice a day. Any increase out of normal they leave.
  • We check all employees O2 twice a day or if they are hot.
  • We went to open ventilation, NO AC mind you, with lots of air flow. Hotter than hell, but the air moves.
  • We use hand sanitizer a few times a day and make employees wash hands often.
  • When mechanics work on machines the operator leaves the area.
  • We spread out machines quite bit, which is a PIA for production process and renders "lean" and "one piece" flow about impossible to do, but we figured it out as best we could.
  • Our cutters are in another part of the building, they don't co-mingle with the sewers and other staff. Same for pattern/marker maker.
  • Masks, masks, and more masks.
  • Have a doc come in and lecture and give instructions.
  • Have an on site nurse that does all the checks and keeps records.
  • Common sense activities.

We have now had 2 pretty conclusive cases and two other suspected ones. There is no testing for these people so we don't know for sure. Just as much common sense actions as possible.
cc_ag92
AG
Sounds like a great plan

I think that's what most concerned educators are asking for, really, a concrete plan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.