Reopening Schools

216,564 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
culdeus said:

Don't get why the focus is on the kids. Quoting stats about how not sick kids gets isn't moving the needle.

Kids not getting sick alone won't get kids back. The teachers are the issue.

Yup. Teachers, admins, janitors, support staff, parents.... with school opening there will just be a lot of contact that isn't happening now regardless of safety protocols.
Roger That
AG
cityagboy said:

Yup. Teachers, admins, janitors, support staff, parents.... with school opening there will just be a lot of contact that isn't happening now regardless of safety protocols.

Just like every other "essential" business, right?
Complete Idiot
If you are referring to my post, I am referring to stats regarding outcomes in children because the county health official, who ended up cancelling all public and private in person schooling, was the one who made his decision based in part on his prediction that up to 1300 kids in Travis county could die. He referenced predicted kid stats himself, not teacher stats, and all data I can find would suggest his predicted child death max is not based on evidence collected in last 7 months. If he had not stated kid deaths were part of his decision, I would not be addressing it.

The focus should be on the kids since the stated mission of our public school district is to maximize their academic growth and prepare them for the world, and while kids may suffer negligible consequences from Covid 19 they are suffering from the consequences of ill prepared online learning and isolation from peers. This has to be considered as well, in addition to safety of all staff.
cityagboy
AG
Roger That said:

cityagboy said:

Just like every other "essential" business, right?
Hey. I support schools opening up. I am just saying that schools opening up will create a lot more contact between adults. It will cause covid to spread more.

There is nothing wrong with being honest and having that discussion even if you think schools should open.
planoaggie123
AG
Schools will increase contact with adults but much less than 90% of the rest of the world that is working.
AggieFrog
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Schools will increase contact with adults but much less than 90% of the rest of the world that is working.

Not really. Much of the white collar workforce is remote. I work I'm a large manufacturing plant. Virtually all non touch labor has been remote since March. Restaurants and service sector isn't operating anywhere near capacity and a large percentage of the workforce isn't working at all. That's quite different than a school, even with 20-30% remote (given many schools are normally overcrowded).
planoaggie123
AG
Proof of your facts? My company is over 70% back. We are fortune 100.
AggieFrog
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Proof of your facts? My company is over 70% back. We are fortune 100.

Fortune 100 as well. Remote indefinitely. As are most others I know in large corporations. I've heard of relatively few back in any office.
Charpie
AG
Same as mine.
planoaggie123
AG
I've both experienced and heard the opposite.

Schools need to figure it out.

Edit: what is embarrassing is how unorganized and clueless schools / TEA are. They are lost.
AggieFrog
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Edit: what is embarrassing is how unorganized and clueless schools / TEA are. They are lost.

The schools (wife is a middle school nurse) are not clueless. The rules just keep changing and they have ideas to mitigate but the TEA threatens funding for many of those options (such as hybrid - half attends in person every other day for example). So they try to make plans only to find that they can't do as they'd like. There is not a physical way to social distance in many schools so long as 80% percent of students are at school at one time. Half remote or only half on campus at a time - yes then it could be possible.
tjack16
AG
The schools are not clueless. It's nearly impossible to have a plan when CDC, the governor, mayors, and TEA changes their minds at the drop of a hat.
WorthAg95
AG
Do teachers not know how to keep themselves safe? Are teachers generally on top of each other throughout the day? They can socially distance in stores and restaurants, why not at school?

cityagboy
AG
planoaggie123 said:

That's not fair to say. We have been cutting school funds for years. School district BODs and leadership are not medical professionals nor ado they have the financial means to hire medical professionals to help them through this pandemic. It's really sad that the federal and state government are basically just telling them "good luck." I normally am a proponent of govt staying out of school districts business but in this case help is needed.
cone
AG
your wife still banging the drum on masks being security theater?
cityagboy
AG
WorthAg95 said:

Do teachers not know how to keep themselves safe? Are teachers generally on top of each other throughout the day? They can socially distance in stores and restaurants, why not at school?

stores and restaurants are a choice to visit. A job is less of a choice. Yes, I do think between teachers, admins, parents, janitors and other support staff you would see a lot of contact and transmission of covid.

With saying that, our state and national govt should step in to provide support with planning, monetary for extra staff and medical professionals. We can and should open schools, but they need some help.
AggieFrog
AG
cone said:

your wife still banging the drum on masks being security theater?

Like other medical professionals she notes than non-N95 do not, on their own, prevent you from getting infected but does agree that if we all wear them it does provide some protection. It's for others not you.
cone
AG
good I think that's the point we were driving all along
3rd Generation Ag
AG
We need access to things like clorox wipes and hand sanitizer. Most of the teachers at my school are not getting out much We are not eating out or going to pool parties. We are trying to be as healthy as possible for when we start back.

But schools are pretty dirty places. It is budget. Floors at many schools are only really cleaned in the summer and over winter break. I have carpet now and it is shampooed once a year and vacummed once a week. My last school had tile squares. Stripped and waxed ones a year and spill stains would stay on it till semester. Again janitorial staff is spread really thin and under funded. It was one of the places schools cut budgets in 2011.

Most teachers buy their own wipes and sanitizer and tissues , but the first two are really had to find in large supplies.

I am waiting to hear my schools plan. In the meantime I bought my own face shields and masks.
cityagboy
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

We need access to things like clorox wipes and hand sanitizer. Most of the teachers at my school are not getting out much We are not eating out or going to pool parties. We are trying to be as healthy as possible for when we start back.

But schools are pretty dirty places. It is budget. Floors at many schools are only really cleaned in the summer and over winter break. I have carpet now and it is shampooed once a year and vacummed once a week. My last school had tile squares. Stripped and waxed ones a year and spill stains would stay on it till semester. Again janitorial staff is spread really thin and under funded. It was one of the places schools cut budgets in 2011.

Most teachers buy their own wipes and sanitizer and tissues , but the first two are really had to find in large supplies.

I am waiting to hear my schools plan. In the meantime I bought my own face shields and masks.
Good luck and I'm sorry our govt has put y'all in this situation.
planoaggie123
AG
Not all federal funding fault.

Teachers need to hold their leaders accountable. More than just Facebook posts.

A lot of industries have seen funding / budget cuts. I am fully employed but received a 10% pay cut due to COVID on top of our company firing over 5%. We all have to suck it up until we are all willing to get back to normal. If we believe this virus is worth a 10% cut them teachers get to participate in that.
cc_ag92
AG
How do you suggest teachers hold their leaders accountable? I have no idea how that would work.
planoaggie123
AG
Schools and teachers need to hold their governing bodies better. Can we quit pretending like this COVID just started last week? Planning should have started Day 1 for this school year and should have assumed the worst. The fact there are not solid plans is pathetic. Hell, just admit we don't know how to do our jobs and confirm full year virtual school. What the heck is 3 weeks going to do??? Nothing.
cityagboy
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Not all federal funding fault.

Teachers need to hold their leaders accountable. More than just Facebook posts.

A lot of industries have seen funding / budget cuts. I am fully employed but received a 10% pay cut due to COVID on top of our company firing over 5%. We all have to suck it up until we are all willing to get back to normal. If we believe this virus is worth a 10% cut them teachers get to participate in that.
I never said it was the only problem but budget cuts the last 15 years are the main problem. I'm not talking about just covid related budget cuts.

I am sorry your company has cut salaries and laid some people off, but that isn't part of this discussion. Yes, teachers should hold their leaders accountable but what power do they really have outside of a strike? Also, school district BODs and administration leaders do not have the expertise/ resources to handle this pandemic within a school system.
planoaggie123
AG
They have the same options I do. Find other employment or strike/demand better. No just complain.
cityagboy
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Schools and teachers need to hold their governing bodies better. Can we quit pretending like this COVID just started last week? Planning should have started Day 1 for this school year and should have assumed the worst. The fact there are not solid plans is pathetic. Hell, just admit we don't know how to do our jobs and confirm full year virtual school. What the heck is 3 weeks going to do??? Nothing.
Planning should have started a long time ago, you are right. But the school district administration simply doesn't have the funding/ experience/ expertise/ knowledge to properly make decisions. The biggest failure happened at state capitals and in DC where they could have provided support to the schools, but they are just now holding hearings this week.... hearings that the CDC has been blocked from testifying at.
planoaggie123
AG
Not a pity party here but I know some of the people and they were amazingly kind. I budget my family far less than my income. We are ok. I also like my industry and my coworkers. For that, I am willing to work for less and not complain. If i felt too unfairly treated I would take action.
planoaggie123
AG
For sakes, quit blaming funding and DC. If I saw a Pandemic and were a leader I would work day and night regardless of budget to have a cost effective plan. Heck, of that plan was that we just can't do it then say that. 3 weeks makes me more mad than anything.

Edit: just be honest it can't be done at current funding levels. Then what happens is 2 things. Govt redirects
Funding or people take their kids out of school but takes the guess work out. I am tired of a perpetual guess.
cityagboy
AG
planoaggie123 said:

For sakes, quit blaming funding and DC. If I saw a Pandemic and were a leader I would work day and night regardless of budget to have a cost effective plan. Heck, of that plan was that we just can't do it then say that. 3 weeks makes me more mad than anything.
I am talking about the main culprit. What I have said is my opinion of the main culprit. School districts simply don't have the ability to make decisions, properly staff, access to medical experts, supplies or faculty to do this correctly.

Could most school districts have done better? For sure but IMO the biggest failure lies within the state capital and DC.

These aren't private companies. These are school districts trying to help and educate our kids. We failed to put them in a position of success. The govt has that responsibility, it doesn't with private companies.
planoaggie123
AG
I just want decisions. Don't tell me 3 weeks post start date that everyone comes together with a plan. Either start on time or cancel in person for first semester if not full year
cone
AG
got that beat

60% reduction in staff here

OG&C
planoaggie123
AG
I think we are fortunate. Honestly most are low performers but it sucks. Most were nice. Granted does show we were operating a tad inefficient. Not a **** measuring contest. Just saying even large public companies impacted so teachers should not be immune to impact.
nai06
AG
planoaggie123 said:

They have the same options I do. Find other employment or strike/demand better. No just complain.
We don't have the same options and I won't fault you for not knowing that. We can't go on strike, its against the law. If I were to go on strike I would immediately lose my job, my teaching cert for life, and all of my retirement. I'd be left with almost nothing. There are people on TA that think a teacher that strikes should also face jail time.

Being a teacher in this state kinda sucks. You get blamed for societal problems, quality of education, you won't ever make a ton of money, and the health insurance is outrageously expensive. Even right now there are people advocating that if the school isn't open, teachers shouldn't be paid. Never mind we signed contracts back in the spring, many of them without even defining the contract start and end dates. Or that most major decisions and plans about how this year was going to look were released after the deadline to withdraw our contracts. There are some perks for sure. Namely holidays and extended time during the summer.

People will complain about teachers no matter what we do. But right now we don't have a lot of options. This state doesn't seem to care a whole lot about teachers or what they think. Its why the state has continually reduced funding to districts. Even this year, money that was intended to benefit local districts via the CARES act was taken to balance the state budget. Rather than get a boost of 1.2 billion dollars that money is going to the state.

And the minute a teacher does speak up, its followed by the same old line of "teachers just complain about everything".

So I don't really know what you would have us do.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Teachers get summers off, as do the kids. Send them all back. This will set kids back tremendously down the road. High school students wanting to do remote are just lazy and don't want to wake up early.

Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings.. not
planoaggie123
AG
Well hate to be unreasonable but sounds like these are all risks you willingly signed up for or unless new in the past 5 pr 10 years? I admit I don't know all the details but they sound terrible and I wouldn't willingly work under unfair/unreasonable circumstances. Even with a teaching degree surely any teacher could likely get a job in industry as an entry accountant etc and lower those risks. If too many let maybe standards would change. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe unreasonable?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.