Reopening Schools

216,522 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plano just announced first 3 weeks virtual.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
DMV?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I am concerned Boerne going to do the same, kids are pissed at that possibility.
amercer
AG
DC, Maryland, Virginia

It's weird that they use that acronym, but it what we got.
Keegan99
AG
DC / Maryland / Virginia
88planoAg
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

I am concerned Boerne going to do the same, kids are pissed at that possibility.
Doesn't seem like this will happen unless the health department shuts things down. BISD is acting like we are full steam ahead. They aren't ever going to make everyone happy, there are those who are trying to get the whole thing shut down and on the other side parents threatening legal action because their kids won't wear masks.

For those following along, we have a band director already! We poached him from a nearby district. And according to the ISD 5 candidates for assistant director have applied. Way easier than I thought it was going to be.
cone
AG
lol not everything is about Trump

this is clown world
P.U.T.U
AG
The numbers are there, kids do not get or spread COVID anywhere near adults. It is more dangerous for an adult to get a haircut than get COVID from a student but these teachers are so afraid they will die. So everyone else can put themselves at a higher risk so you can stay home. The medical personnel to keep you healthy, the grocery store workers to put food on your table, workers at meat packing facilities working side by side so you can have your cheeseburger, construction workers to make sure your roads are safe, etc. but you are too afraid to help out by educating our kids? Want to know why Mexico is getting hit so hard right now? They do not have the option of staying home, they need to put food on the table. The United States gets a lot of PPE and manufactured products from Mexico, without them we would not be able to live in the luxury that we do now.

I think it shows how weak this country has gotten, to always take the "easy" way. What are the 65% of families with both parents working supposed to do? Not everyone can work from home and kids do not learn nearly as well on a computer versus in person. Special needs kids need the in-person more than anyone so what the heck are they supposed to do? What about the kids that rely on school for food? In several cities they plan on handing out tablets and providing internet for all the kids, where does that money come from? Who is going to teach them how to use them?

There are millions more child abuse cases to date from previous years. Billions of more cases of online sexual assaults. 5,000% increase in child rape videos online? All of this is not okay with me.

We forgot about our kids who don't have a voice in the manner.
Smokedraw01
GAC06 said:

Sneezing isn't really a symptom associated with the virus, right? I don't see any action required. I could see a lot more kids getting held out/sent home for coughs though.

It's not but kids are stupid.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
they had him locked up that night, i told you earlier

edit - don't be surprised if this occurs. I sent Dr. Price an email this morning expressing that my kids hated online. He responded, as he has done several times, but used the word "hoping".
amercer
AG
cone said:

lol not everything is about Trump

this is clown world

It shouldn't be, but as soon as he made it a campaign issue I knew **** would hit the fan. The country is too toxic on both sides to just trust the science and pull together to do what needs to be done.
TXTransplant
P.U.T.U said:

The numbers are there, kids do not get or spread COVID anywhere near adults. It is more dangerous for an adult to get a haircut than get COVID from a student but these teachers are so afraid they will die. So everyone else can put themselves at a higher risk so you can stay home. The medical personnel to keep you healthy, the grocery store workers to put food on your table, workers at meat packing facilities working side by side so you can have your cheeseburger, construction workers to make sure your roads are safe, etc. but you are too afraid to help out by educating our kids? Want to know why Mexico is getting hit so hard right now? They do not have the option of staying home, they need to put food on the table. The United States gets a lot of PPE and manufactured products from Mexico, without them we would not be able to live in the luxury that we do now.

I think it shows how weak this country has gotten, to always take the "easy" way. What are the 65% of families with both parents working supposed to do? Not everyone can work from home and kids do not learn nearly as well on a computer versus in person. Special needs kids need the in-person more than anyone so what the heck are they supposed to do? What about the kids that rely on school for food? In several cities they plan on handing out tablets and providing internet for all the kids, where does that money come from? Who is going to teach them how to use them?

There are millions more child abuse cases to date from previous years. Billions of more cases of online sexual assaults. 5,000% increase in child rape videos online? All of this is not okay with me.

We forgot about our kids who don't have a voice in the manner.

We haven't forgotten about our kids. The people making the decisions have concluded that it's more important to prevent even ONE Covid death than it is to protect kids from any of the many other deaths that, statistically, they are at much higher risk of dying from.

The decisions being made right now about schools are the epitome of "privilege" - both financial and racial.

It also sets a very bad precedent for what types of situations might be used to justify shutdowns in the future.

I made this graph today (don't have a premium membership, so this is the easiest way to post it).

https://instagr.am/p/CCvq7mnpldr

012-MAN
AG
I am not sure if we should start a new thread on this or not....

So my school district just put out a 3-week delay to starting school with the key words "until the public health situation improves"

My question is what can we, as tax-payers do to punish the school district for not putting kids first?

My best guess right now is to make sure that my kid skips school 2-3 days a week so that we do not hit the 90% rule and HOPEFULLY they will not get funding from the state.

IS there anything else we can really do?

Until proven otherwise, I KNOW they will fail and it will be a total disaster..............

TXTransplant
012-MAN said:

So my school district just put out a 3-week delay to starting school with the key words "until the public health situation improves"

My question is what can we, as tax-payers do to punish the school district for not putting kids first?

My best guess right now is to make sure that my kid skips school 2-3 days a week so that we do not hit the 90% rule and HOPEFULLY they will not get funding from the state.

Until proven otherwise, I KNOW they will fail and it will be a total disaster..............

Why would you punish the school? Aren't pretty much all of the schools with no in-person option (with the exception of Houston) doing so because the public health authorities are preventing it?

And I fully expect the Harris Co public health dept to issue their own ban any day now.
Bruce Almighty
AG
012-MAN said:

Maybe Texas is different than Missouri, but having your kids skip 2-3 days each week is a good way to have social services at your house.
planoaggie123
AG
I would probably recommend pulling your kids out vs doing the skip thing. You will get flagged quicker.

When they decide to go back to in-person then re-enroll your kids...
planoaggie123
AG
I am not sure public health authorities are preventing it. Abbot just allowed 3 weeks of online while still providing full funding so all shcools are taking advantage of it.

This is Abbott just being an idiot.

As for punishing schools, I dont think its unreasonable to want to do so. Schools need to feel the impact and they need to push for better oversight from TEA, etc. No reason delays should be occuring. They should have been working around the clock for solutions yet here we are and they still need more time....
TXTransplant
https://austintexas.gov/news/local-health-authority-issues-emergency-rules-and-orders

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2020/07/16/dallas-county-schools-closed-september-texas-coronavirus/amp/

Both Austin and Dallas health authorities have issued orders prohibiting schools from opening.

I've got plenty of criticism for Abbott, but this isn't entirely on him. I suspect the has the authority to override these decisions, though.

It's certainly not the school's fault if school is delayed due to an order issued by the health department.
webgem08
AG
Make it 8 weeks:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/tea-allows-schools-to-delay-returns-to-campus-up-to-8-weeks-state-to-provide-cares-funding-for-distance-learning/2408578/
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I think it's very unlikely that Little Lina will allow Harris County to move forward with current plans. She is a follower and will see what Dallas and Austin area is doing. She will follow their lead.
planoaggie123
AG
Welp there goes the fall....
planoaggie123
AG
Fair but its also reasonable to say both Abbott and the TEA have no real desire to push for school. They are just letting random hot-heads make the rules and drive policy.

Extremely disappointing on all levels.
chap
AG
This is crazy. Really wish TEA would have stayed with their previous guidance. What is supposed to happen in that four weeks that's going to all of a sudden make it better to go back?

Reading the new guidance, it looks like they actually only extended it by one week. It was three weeks, now it is four. Districts can go to 8 weeks, but only by school board direction. So that's good. At least it is somebody with some sort of electoral accountability that will be making that decision to make kids stay home for 2 months.

tylercsbn9
AG
So Lena will surely follow with this bull**** next

Eff Abbott for taking this out of the districts hands
TXTransplant
planoaggie123 said:

Fair but its also reasonable to say both Abbott and the TEA have no real desire to push for school. They are just letting random hot-heads make the rules and drive policy.

Extremely disappointing on all levels.

Totally agree.

At the very least, public health officials should be working with districts to evaluate risk on a zip code by zip code basis.

Our district spans 5 zip codes and there are a total of 574 active cases (225 are in one zip code). Three of the zip codes have <100 active cases.

There are most definitely situations across the state where some campuses in a district should be open (for those who want to attend).

There is no reason for all children to suffer and fall behind. Unfortunately, leadership (school and govt) thinks that's what's "fair".
tysker
AG
Quote:

Our district spans 5 zip codes and there are a total of 574 active cases (225 are in one zip code). Three of the zip codes have <100 active cases.
How many of those cases are people 18 yrs old and younger?
TXTransplant
tysker said:

Quote:

How many of those cases are people 18 yrs old and younger?

Can't tell you, unfortunately. Data isn't that granular.

All I know about cases 18 and younger in Harris Co is the following:

0-9 - 2,100
10-19 - 3,900

But that's total confirmed cases. Presumably many of them have recovered. The current ratio of active:recovered is about 2:1.
MasterAggie
AG
Quote:

The numbers are there, kids do not get or spread COVID anywhere near adults. It is more dangerous for an adult to get a haircut than get COVID from a student but these teachers are so afraid they will die. So everyone else can put themselves at a higher risk so you can stay home
You're full of sh*t. I don't know a single teacher that doesn't want to get back into the classroom. I know I damn sure do. Teaching virtually sucks.
P.U.T.U
AG
MasterAggie said:

Quote:

The numbers are there, kids do not get or spread COVID anywhere near adults. It is more dangerous for an adult to get a haircut than get COVID from a student but these teachers are so afraid they will die. So everyone else can put themselves at a higher risk so you can stay home
You're full of sh*t. I don't know a single teacher that doesn't want to get back into the classroom. I know I damn sure do. Teaching virtually sucks.
I know a ton that don't want to go back, said they don't want to die teaching. While they post pictures of their vacations and going out to restaurants/movies. Its infuriating
TXTransplant
MasterAggie said:

Quote:

Just like in the general population, there are teachers on both sides of this. And the ones who feel unsafe have a lot of support right now.

This is just one of many stories that's been put out over the last few days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/texas-teacher-writes-will-return-to-school-coronavirus-pandemic/

Personally, I think any 53 year old should have a will, pandemic or no pandemic. I've had one since my late 20s. But it makes for a "good" headline.
planoaggie123
AG
I know there are teachers who would be at the door tomorrow if allowed but I am SHOCKED by the numbers of teachers I know who are not wanting to go back. Many of these graduated from A&M, UT, etc.

The funny thing is I see the same thing...that is them being not socially distant in personal but too scared for professional risk. Not to broad strokes all teachers, but I have lost a lot of respect for many of these as they simply want an easier, online paycheck. There is no way they are really that concerned by their actions.
cc_ag92
AG
Wylie surveyed teachers and families about their preferences.The results might surprise TexAgs. The percentage of teachers who want to teach in person is higher than the percentage of families who want to send their children to school
RGV AG
AG
Quote:

Want to know why Mexico is getting hit so hard right now? They do not have the option of staying home, they need to put food on the table. The United States gets a lot of PPE and manufactured products from Mexico, without them we would not be able to live in the luxury that we do now.
You make some very good points, very valid.

I am in Mexico, at this very moment, making PPE for the US.

Aside from the reasons that you mention, Mexico is getting hit hard also due to the fact that it is a country that depends on mass transportation, in the big cities if they are going to work, they are going to have to ride buses, subways, etc.

Also, Mexico sent a big portion of the population home, with pay, way too early in this mess, and big chunk of those people treated that like a paid vacation, and partied, traveled, and gathered. It was a big mistake by Mexico.

But you are 100% right that across the globe the majority of people that don't work, are not going to eat. It is that simple. When it gets to that point in the US, there is going to be a change of opinion, I would guess.
webgem08
AG
Yep. Shouldn't be a staffing issue if this is the case. Either way, I'm super impressed with Dr. Vinson and the admin's transparency. Just need them to hold tight with all the other districts throwing in the towel until Labor Day.

Also interesting, On-Campus learning interest fell from 70% at the beginning of July.
jah003
S
planoaggie123 said:

I know there are teachers who would be at the door tomorrow if allowed but I am SHOCKED by the numbers of teachers I know who are not wanting to go back. Many of these graduated from A&M, UT, etc.

The funny thing is I see the same thing...that is them being not socially distant in personal but too scared for professional risk. Not to broad strokes all teachers, but I have lost a lot of respect for many of these as they simply want an easier, online paycheck. There is no way they are really that concerned by their actions.

The way I see it the same teachers that do the bare minimum in person will be the same online. I know plenty of teachers that skate by just for a paycheck in person. It's just like any other job really. It's not like these hard working passionate teachers are suddenly going to mail it in.

My big concern at the moment is what exactly do I do with my kids? My wife and I are both teachers and the current options suck if you have a kid under 12. That's the absolute only reason I'd want to be home.

Finally... with all these regulations in place... what the hell is teaching even going to look like? How can I effectively teach a kid from 6 feet away? That might be another reason teachers don't want to be back in the classroom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.