Reopening Schools

217,343 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
tylercsbn9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

tylercsbn9 said:

cityagboy said:

**** Abbott

Hopefully either Katy or CyFair have enough balls to put their neck out there and allow in person or online. If one does I could see the other following

Tomball and Klein ISD have already said online or in person starting the first day in August. AFAIK, that has not changed.

I think CyFair and Katy said the same.

So far, Houston, Fort Bend, and Goose Creek are the Houston area schools that are delaying opening and/or doing online only.
Katy Super already sent out an email that certainly sounds like they could change it up.
JBenn06
AG
My kids attend a private Lutheran school in Spring, Tx. The expectation is the majority of students begin the school year on campus. They are only offering online learning full time to students who have compromised immune systems. Sadly we have several kids with cancer right now and a few with lung illnesses. They will be distance learning full time. If the health department shuts down schools or there is a breakout of corona in a certain class or grade then they are prepared to move students to distance learning for short time periods. Private school is a great option because the class sizes are typically very small and the Heath accommodations/changes are easier to make with less students on campus. There are about 650 total kids in grades k-8. So much easier to deal with than larger school districts who have thousands at each school.

I used to teach at a very large high school with about 3,500 students. I can't imagine how all of the new rules and regulations are going to work with that many students attending the school. Sounds like a mess and I'm glad I'm not going to be dealing with that!
Complete Idiot
The more schools I see delaying in person attendance, and the more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. And angry.

I've been very understanding of worldwide decisions throughout this pandemic. It's a weird situation and we didn't have perfect information from the get go, around the world governments acted with caution in light of the unknown. I get that - be safe, father data, proceed with caution. Sure, in hindsight that can be picked apart now or ten years from now. But knowing what we knew, or didn't know, at the beginning it was all understandable to me.

We are now 6 months from initial breakout, four months since things got serious in the US. We have a lot of data on case counts, hospitalization rates, and fatalities. We know who is at risk and who has a risk equal to the flu or less than the flu (kids under 20). Overall, and to adults 50-65, it does appear the risk could be 3 times the flu. Since we tend to worry close to 0 about influenza in the workplace and schools, lets use 3*near zero for what we should be feeling - yet there seems to be fear of certain death of at least one teacher in a school.

I'm already digressing. We have had data for a while now, a lot of data at this point. I see people in essential business back at work and using precautions. Health care workers, police, fire, grocery stores, restaurants - you name it. Most businesses are open and operating with caution. Masks are required and people encouraged to social distance.

I see teens working in grocery stores, working in fast food. These are high school age and out working in buildings with coworkers and the public. I see kids in daycare. I see kids in summer camps. Kids are playing youth sports. All using precautions, but functioning in many non essential settings.

My wife is in health care and works directly with the elderly. She visits personal homes but also large skilled nursing or assisted living facilities. End of March, April - her work near zero. Places shut down to protect elderly, we got it. After 4, 5 weeks - patients regressing physically. Patients very depressed, even suicidal. These patients need treatments, or they have no quality of life. As a result, facilities and families opened the homes to allow the elderly to be treated. They are at some level
Of risk when health care employees visit, my wife and coworkers are also at risk when working hands on with patients in these facilities. However, it is deemed necessary and for the greater good of the patients.

These elderly patients are at MUCH MORE risk from the virus when compared to 18 and under youth. My wife and her coworkers are at equal risk as any group of educators, their ages run full gamut and they are working indoors and hands on with patients. It is deemed essential.

Yet, now we have kids not at risk of illness who are regressing. Not physically, but intellectually. Emotionally. Socially. And yet we can provide them the essential education - both found in books and among groups of peers - that they need?

The cluster **** of poor leadership, or lack of coordinated educational guidance, is ridiculous. They don't know what to do? They don't have PpE? They think teachers and kids are guaranteed to die? Have they not been living this with the rest of us? I could put together a reasonable plan, at least fit for review and critique, that's seems far advanced to these school districts just saying "there's and outbreak and we aren't ready so we'll keep
Watching". Watching to what end? What is their plan? If no plan now, how in 6 weeks?

This is unacceptable, do your job. Educate the kids. Like every other ****ing business allowed to operate, out procedures and plans in place and execute. Like other countries who seem to be able to pull off education of their youth even in current environment.

Sorry for the rant, I've not been this frustrated since this all started.

jenn96
AG
Thank you for capturing exactly how I feel. Agree 100% with everything you wrote.
Roger That
AG
Complete Idiot said:

The more schools I see delaying in person attendance, and the more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. And angry.

I've been very understanding of worldwide decisions throughout this pandemic. It's a weird situation and we didn't have perfect information from the get go, around the world governments acted with caution in light of the unknown. I get that - be safe, father data, proceed with caution. Sure, in hindsight that can be picked apart now or ten years from now. But knowing what we knew, or didn't know, at the beginning it was all understandable to me.

We are now 6 months from initial breakout, four months since things got serious in the US. We have a lot of data on case counts, hospitalization rates, and fatalities. We know who is at risk and who has a risk equal to the flu or less than the flu (kids under 20). Overall, and to adults 50-65, it does appear the risk could be 3 times the flu. Since we tend to worry close to 0 about influenza in the workplace and schools, lets use 3*near zero for what we should be feeling - yet there seems to be fear of certain death of at least one teacher in a school.

I'm already digressing. We have had data for a while now, a lot of data at this point. I see people in essential business back at work and using precautions. Health care workers, police, fire, grocery stores, restaurants - you name it. Most businesses are open and operating with caution. Masks are required and people encouraged to social distance.

I see teens working in grocery stores, working in fast food. These are high school age and out working in buildings with coworkers and the public. I see kids in daycare. I see kids in summer camps. Kids are playing youth sports. All using precautions, but functioning in many non essential settings.

My wife is in health care and works directly with the elderly. She visits personal homes but also large skilled nursing or assisted living facilities. End of March, April - her work near zero. Places shut down to protect elderly, we got it. After 4, 5 weeks - patients regressing physically. Patients very depressed, even suicidal. These patients need treatments, or they have no quality of life. As a result, facilities and families opened the homes to allow the elderly to be treated. They are at some level
Of risk when health care employees visit, my wife and coworkers are also at risk when working hands on with patients in these facilities. However, it is deemed necessary and for the greater good of the patients.

These elderly patients are at MUCH MORE risk from the virus when compared to 18 and under youth. My wife and her coworkers are at equal risk as any group of educators, their ages run full gamut and they are working indoors and hands on with patients. It is deemed essential.

Yet, now we have kids not at risk of illness who are regressing. Not physically, but intellectually. Emotionally. Socially. And yet we can provide them the essential education - both found in books and among groups of peers - that they need?

The cluster **** of poor leadership, or lack of coordinated educational guidance, is ridiculous. They don't know what to do? They don't have PpE? They think teachers and kids are guaranteed to die? Have they not been living this with the rest of us? I could put together a reasonable plan, at least fit for review and critique, that's seems far advanced to these school districts just saying "there's and outbreak and we aren't ready so we'll keep
Watching". Watching to what end? What is their plan? If no plan now, how in 6 weeks?

This is unacceptable, do your job. Educate the kids. Like every other ****ing business allowed to operate, out procedures and plans in place and execute. Like other countries who seem to be able to pull off education of their youth even in current environment.

Sorry for the rant, I've not been this frustrated since this all started.

Yes. Exactly. Education is essential and virtual class from home isn't education. Schools need to operate like every other essential business, take precautions, and open the doors. This ostrich approach they're all taking is absolute garbage.
Keegan99
AG
Nailed it.
AggieFrog
AG
katlong said:

Something I haven't heard to much discussion about is the reality that kids (especially the younger ones) get sick ALL the time. Every time they start coughing or run a fever (per TEA) the choices are either:

1) Get a COVID-19 test (which can get expensive, especially without decent insurance)
2) Sit out for the 14 days

I taught little ones for several years and pretty much November-March someone is always coughing or snotty or what not. Going to be a nightmare.

Where did you see this? Wife is a school nurse - the rules are constantly changing but this is the first she's heard of it. Last she heard fever would be 72 instead of 24 hours out of school and return to school would be call of healthcare provider (no mandatory test or 14 days out of school).
Charpie
AG
So question to all you non doctors who are experts in this whole thing..why aren't you with all your wisdom consulting with the Governor and TEA?
BourbonAg
AG
What makes you think the Governor and TEA would start consulting with credible people now?
ag009
AG
This is what I was basing it off. Page 4 specifically.

https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/covid/covid19-SY-20-21-Public-Health-Guidance.pdf
Complete Idiot
Charpie said:

So question to all you non doctors who are experts in this whole thing..why aren't you with all your wisdom consulting with the Governor and TEA?

This can't be a serious question can it? Who are you even talking to? Me? I have a job. I've been going in to do my job, my company makes process automation systems for companies like Moderna, Lonza, and all the companies that provide you energy and array of other consumer products we've all needed or not needed, just enjoyed, throughout the pandemic. My company since April has had a mask policy, marked stairwells as up or down traffic only, taped off pathways to walk, or places to stand, for moving around the building, the cafeteria, standing to wait for the elevator, in the elevator. Designated seating in. Conference rooms. Deployed sanitizer stands throughout the buildings. Limited people in break rooms and other common areas. Stepped up janitorial services for sanitization. On and on. Since April, so we can do our jobs and feel as protected as possible. Yet my kids can't go to school in august since they have no plans for ppe or any idea of how to pull this off in an acceptably safe manner. Why? Why are schools behind nearly any other workplace? Why are youth sports and camps allowed in person, but not an educational facility? Why can my kid get a job at whataburger but not be allowed on their schools's campus?

Do you have anything to add to the conversation other than a ridiculous question with an obvious answer?
Charpie
AG
No I wasn't talking to you.

I'm just really tired of people flat out complaining about everything everyone does. I mean, people posts graphs and charts and the like, and flat out complain about how things are being handled with no real solutions. And this is coming from someone who wants their kid in school, too. My daughter misses her friends, her coaches and teachers. She misses the rigor that is school. ON THE SAME THOUGHT, I understand that kids 15 and over can carry this crap more than the young ones.

YET, OUR LEADERS KEEP SAYING NO GO ONLINE ONLY. So if I'm looking at all that we know, and you STILL see leaders acting in the way that they are, it makes me sit back and wonder why?

Complete Idiot
My apologies. I'm definitely on edge and worked up. I truly think this is a failing of our national education system.
pantherag
AG
katlong said:

This is what I was basing it off. Page 4 specifically.

https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/covid/covid19-SY-20-21-Public-Health-Guidance.pdf

That is not the correct interpretation of TEA's guidelines. A student will not automatically have to do the 2 bullet points you posted anytime they get a fever / cough / symptoms. Several different scenarios could be applied to the circumstance. TEA puts out guidance that a district can follow or adapt with their own specific guidelines.
et98
AG
Charpie said:

For the same reason I don't complain to the TABC about shutting down the breweries that make over 50% on food...I don't have that lobbyist money.

Government does the bidding of the highest bidder.

It isnt about safety or education or anything else other than money. It's always money.
jopatura
AG
Charpie said:

I mean they aren't even consulting with the Board of Trustees, who we actually vote for. I don't think any of the various hands of education are actually putting heads together from what I've seen.

The system has gotten way too bloated though and this has made it painfully obvious. Education reform is badly need in Texas. Districts and schools need to be slashed to better serve their local communities. No more 6,000 student high schools.

If someone knows how to start getting involved, please let me know. My kids are just starting their education, but I'm about to make it my life's mission to be at every PTO meeting, every town hall forum, and meet every administrator my daughters come across. They need me to sub to get back in the classroom, call me. I'm so angry.
RGV AG
AG
jopatura said:

Charpie said:

I mean they aren't even consulting with the Board of Trustees, who we actually vote for. I don't think any of the various hands of education are actually putting heads together from what I've seen.

The system has gotten way too bloated though and this has made it painfully obvious. Education reform is badly need in Texas. Districts and schools need to be slashed to better serve their local communities. No more 6,000 student high schools.

If someone knows how to start getting involved, please let me know. My kids are just starting their education, but I'm about to make it my life's mission to be at every PTO meeting, every town hall forum, and meet every administrator my daughters come across. They need me to sub to get back in the classroom, call me. I'm so angry.
Amen. Preach it, I am with you.
flyingaggie12
AG
Agreed. We all need to get involved more in our local government and not worry about the national stuff as much. It's been the other way around for so long but this has brought to light a lot of oversight that has been happening over the years.
RGV AG
AG
I will tell you all what just chaps my ass infinite. To hear the "administrators" and others involved in education bemoan the fact that there will be hazards and risks associated with going back to school, like if multitudes of others were not and had not been facing these risks day in and day out since this whole fiasco started.

I run a manufacturing facility in Mexico and starting the last week in March we basically worked 22 days straight through making isolation gowns for the big ass CDC push that went on. All of us in our facility were working 14 to 18 hours days to rush fabric in and get these goods out as fast as they possibly could be gotten. Nobody was missing work, we were doing the best we could to distance and employ the precautions that we could.

Our workers make about, take home, $70-90 USD per week (48 hours), more with OT and bonuses during this run up. But they left kids at home, as Mexico cancelled school as well, as well as other family members. Sure, they did it and I did it to keep our jobs, but a major driving factor was that we knew that every gown we made was badly needed and if we didn't do what we had to do we might be making this grave situation last a little longer.

All across 3rd world countries people busted their asses for low wages so that the US could have PPE, as there was no production capability to speak of in the US and China had cut the US off from many finished goods and raw materials. The gowns we made were made out of re-finished bed sheets that were originally for hotels and were re-finished and liquid proofed.

We are still making PPE, in hard and somewhat dangerous conditions. The big difference in all of this is that educators have the luxury to get paid to stay at home and the school systems can just say "too dangerous" and they have relieved themselves of any exposure, both physical and moral (in their eyes).

I wonder how all the doc's and nurses and others would have felt if everyone making their stuff, and for the record most of what flooded in was made in places that typically didn't make these goods, would have just said "too dangerous and risky".

These education public servants, and that is what they are as they take public money, need to strap on a pair of balls like the rest of us and do what they can, and at least try, to make things as normal as possible.

This is a huge copout to me by the TEA and most school districts.
ag009
AG
Can you elaborate on those different scenarios/interpretations?

I hope you are right! My plain reading of the guide (page 4) was indicated that as they screen for covid symptoms it would require testing or isolation.
Charpie
AG
I can't even imagine how hard this is for parents of little kids. Or special needs kids. This **** sucks donkey balls no doubt. And as the parent of a senior who is also visually impaired, it's been hard to watch her hopes of having, what should have been, AMAZING year go down the drain. She should be starting summer band! Their band was going to Grand Nationals. She should be getting ready to lead her girls cross
cross country team as captain but that's on hold. So I get it. I get all of the frustration. I'm just as frustrated. My friends are all opting to keep their kids home and choosing online learning. And we are choosing to send her to school because SHE NEEDS TO HAVE SOME SEMBLANCE OF NORMALCY. But nothing is normal anymore. To hear her band director say, "If I were free to start summer band, I would do it in a heart beat..OUTSIDE...with a bullhorn," is freaking sobering. Because this isn't just about me, or what I want, or what my kid wants.
jopatura
AG
Charpie said:

I can't even imagine how hard this is for parents of little kids. Or special needs kids. This **** sucks donkey balls no doubt. And as the parent of a senior who is also visually impaired, it's been hard to watch her hopes of having, what should have been, AMAZING year go down the drain. She should be starting summer band! Their band was going to Grand Nationals. She should be getting ready to lead her girls cross
cross country team as captain but that's on hold. So I get it. I get all of the frustration. I'm just as frustrated. My friends are all opting to keep their kids home and choosing online learning. And we are choosing to send her to school because SHE NEEDS TO HAVE SOME SEMBLANCE OF NORMALCY. But nothing is normal anymore. To hear her band director say, "If I were free to start summer band, I would do it in a heart beat..OUTSIDE...with a bullhorn," is freaking sobering. Because this isn't just about me, or what I want, or what my kid wants.

Honest question, why does our wants not matter? Why don't we get a voice in this situation? The administration isn't going to sit around and sing Kumbaya with us. It is not selfish to want a better plan of action then "Well, let's revisit after Labor Day because we don't know what this should look like yet." If I ever told a boss that I hadn't started a major project a month before the deadline and that I needed three more weeks just to draft the guidelines, I would have been fired on the spot. Why are we accepting their inaction as part of the greater good?
pantherag
AG
katlong said:

Can you elaborate on those different scenarios/interpretations?

I hope you are right! My plain reading of the guide (page 4) was indicated that as they screen for covid symptoms it would require testing or isolation.

Each district may construct different protocols and guidelines for their respective district. So I don't want to make a blanket statement that may not hold true for your specific district. I know our district will not be aligned to the 2 bullet points you listed. As example, if a student has documented with the school nurse that they have conditions that may present similar to COVID, then they may not have to go through the steps. Another option is if COVID is suspected, then the student can go to a medical provider for an evaluation and if the provider determines it's not COVID, which a COVID test is NOT required, a student can return to the classroom. Hope that helps a little.
Charpie
AG
Surely you get that it's not that simple. For some ISD's, it's 50,000 kids and 7,000 employees. Did your ISD conduct a survey? Ours did. For our school, 40 percent of the families felt ok sending their kids back to school.

And if you want to be involved, contact your ISD's central office. The truth is that there aren't enough people willing
be on school boards to really drive change.
nai06
AG
jopatura said:

Charpie said:

I am glad you want to take part. Its obvious that you care a lot and are frustrated. You have every right to be upset.

Start by attending school board meetings. That is how to get a good idea of what is going on. A warning, they are really boring. the last one I was at (in person) went from 630 pm to 1am. But its how to find out whats going on. Also get comfortable with speaking at the meetings. Every meeting will have a public comment section. Most boards wont respond but give you 3-5 minutes to talk about whatever you want. Start making inroads with board members. Call and email them when you are unhappy. In my experience, most people don't give a **** what teachers think. School boards and Principals really perk up when parents get involved though. There is so much that stakeholders never participate in. I've been on 5 different textbook adoption committees. Not once has a parent or member of the public come to review the books we choose.

So if you want to get involved, start contacting board members and attending board meetings. It also wouldnt hurt to email the TEA
Beat40
Great advice.
Beat40
Charpie said:

Surely you get that it's not that simple. For some ISD's, it's 50,000 kids and 7,000 employees. Did your ISD conduct a survey? Ours did. For our school, 40 percent of the families felt ok sending their kids back to school.

And if you want to be involved, contact your ISD's central office. The truth is that there aren't enough people willing
be on school boards to really drive change.

It's backwards though. Leadership should come from the organization. I get they wanted parent input, and that's admirable, valuable, and right thinking. However, if TEA and the district administrations came up with a viable plain of action for keeping kids and teachers safe and disseminated it before seeking parent input, the percentage of parents saying they feel ok sending their kids back to school would be much higher than 40%. Also, they would not likely have as many teachers protesting to keep schools closed down.
Smokedraw01
Has there been any discussion about the disruption caused by this event? If a kid sneezes in class, will kids freak out? Make a stupid comment? Tense up? I have no problem managing my class but I wonder about this.
GAC06
AG
Sneezing isn't really a symptom associated with the virus, right? I don't see any action required. I could see a lot more kids getting held out/sent home for coughs though.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Wylie ISD did a pretty thorough job of laying out a lot of what we have discussed. Not everything since they want people to read it and give their opinion, there will be some modifications and they will send out another email in 2-3 weeks.

Wylie ISD back to school

I didn't read it all, but you are right, that is a very nice job laying it out in FAQs.
planoaggie123
AG
GAC06 said:

Sneezing isn't really a symptom associated with the virus, right? I don't see any action required. I could see a lot more kids getting held out/sent home for coughs though.

Sneezing probably will become a "new"' symptom that they are just finding out about as school starts...
amercer
AG
Looks like all the schools in my area are moving toward virtual for the rest of 2020. It was always going to be a struggle, but Trump weighing In gave everyone political cover to keep it shut down.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
what area?
Aggie521
AG
Not sure if posted yet, but Port Neches Groves ISD is going full in-person and not offering virtual schooling.
amercer
AG
DMV.

Parents may be mad as hell, but no one is going to side with the president. So the administrators and teacher unions will make the rules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.