Reopening Schools

216,535 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
RGV AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ya'll see the stats in this thread linked below? How could that not be relevant to schools in general?

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3135399

If these stats are true, and right now I don't believe much of any stat I see bandied about by any source because the lack of congruence is just too much. What I do believe is what see first hand and what I have experienced. From line of sight most of the people I know, including my wife, daughter, and I, have mild to no symptoms of this virus. Some people with dire health issues have no symptoms or mild symptoms, while some are hammered by it. Equally, folks with non-covid caused health issues seem to be the highest percentage among those that perish. Tragic? Absolutely. Totally avoidable? Probably not.

6 or 7 months into this in the US, and about 9 months into on a world wide basis an "Occam's Razor" approach to what we know should be taken. Yet in regard to US public school education and many facets of government it is not. That is my issue.

I recently addressed the McAllen school board, led by one of the finest men and Aggies that I have ever known recently. I think my comments fell on deaf ears, as the prevalent course of direction is all about "what we are doing to prevent and protect" instead of "what we are doing to get the kids back into school, into a system that is pretty good".

Until education administrators make getting back into school and getting schools up and running a priority we will continue to see fits and starts and sputtering. Lots of wasted time and money as well.

The one obvious thing that I see from this virus is that you can run, but you can't hide forever. The cost of hiding is going to break this country and life as most Americans have known it.
AgLA06
AG
rojo_ag said:

Me: That is interesting. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Would you explain the 200,000 excess deaths since March compared to the five year average in the US.

Suicide, health issues because people were too scared to go to their doctor,decreased quality of life, deferred procedures, increased crime from defunding the police, etc. Millions lost health insurance and jobs because shutdown. And 99.9% didn't even get it.

You're officially as likely to die while taking a bath as from Covid. But please continue to tell us why children should have 1.5 years of bad education.
rojo_ag
AG
AgLA06 said:

rojo_ag said:

Me: That is interesting. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Would you explain the 200,000 excess deaths since March compared to the five year average in the US.

Suicide, health issues because people were too scared to go to their doctor,decreased quality of life, deferred procedures, increased crime from defunding the police, etc. Millions lost health insurance and jobs because shutdown. And 99.9% didn't even get it.

You're officially as likely to die while taking a bath as from Covid. But please continue to tell us why children should have 1.5 years of bad education.

Okay. Where to start?

Never mind, it's simply not worth it to give a lengthy explanation on how much you are mistaken on so many levels with your post.
AgLA06
AG
Informative. I'm sure we'll eventually get a really long scientific theory just like we did in March, then the new one in April, then May, etc.

You can rationalize this however you want. Doesn't change reality.
rojo_ag
AG
AgLA06 said:

Informative. I'm sure we'll eventually get a really long scientific theory just like we did in March, then the new one in April, then May, etc.

You can rationalize this however you want. Doesn't change reality.

Honestly, I am so confused right now. Rationalize what exactly? Read my posts from the onset. I have never stated that I wanted schools to remain closed. So, I think you have wandered into the wrong thread by mistake.

I agree. Reality is not going to change for a while longer regardless of how you feel about the severity of the virus and the need to mitigate the spread. You can be angry all that you want, but nothing is going to change for many more months. It is what it is.
Keegan99
AG
K-12 in Georgia opened 4+ weeks ago.

Doesn't look like the schoolpocalypse is happening as yet.

beerad12man
AG
I expect excess deaths to begin to go lower and lower and within 12-18 months be pretty normal
AgLA06
AG
We had a 9 week summer camp program at our school. Now 2 weeks into 87% in person school. Not one student has had covid. It will eventually happen just like every other illness.

Speaking of which. To say it's been a heavier flu and strep season would be an understatement. My Rojo like scientific made up theory us because isolation crushed kid's immune system ability to fight anything off. And we're back to probable causes of additional deaths.
rojo_ag
AG
AgLA06 said:

We had a 9 week summer camp program at our school. Now 2 weeks into 87% in person school. Not one student has had covid. It will eventually happen just like every other illness.

Speaking of which. To say it's been a heavier flu and strep season would be an understatement. My Rojo like scientific made up theory us because isolation crushed kid's immune system ability to fight anything off. And we're back to more deaths.
What the hell are you talking about? Where is this theory you have said I made up? Find it on this tread, and I'll stop posting for a year. Are you willing to stop posting on this tread when you are talking out of your posterior?

In my hypothetical argument with Keegan, I mentioned 200,000 excess deaths in the US since March. This is a fact. I wanted his opinion about why the US has seen more deaths than the five year average with mitigation measures and Sweden has not seen this increase with minimal measures.

cone
AG
calm down it's just a college football fan site special topic message board
rojo_ag
AG
cone said:

calm down it's just a college football fan site special topic message board

Edit: removed for being a jackass
rojo_ag
AG
Two classes and an advisory down 3 more classes to go. Great first day so far. Kids are doing great with their masks and social distancing. Nice to be back in the classroom and doing what I love.

Rough morning dropping off my 4 year old and my 1 year old, though, but kids are resilient and this builds character.
Not a Bot
AG
Health departments in East Texas are continuing to be dopes.

Tatum is now stopping football and quarantining all football players for two weeks after a "potential exposure to an individual." No positive tests on the team reported. But let's keep them out of school and off the field for two weeks "just in case."

White Oak quarantined two 2nd grade classes for two weeks "out of abundance of precaution" for a potential exposure.

The Longview Superintendent wants to test all students and faculty for the virus on a recurring basis at great expense.

Horrible public health policy.

A lot of kids out of school for zero reason. Apparently out here we still think this is Ebola.
Keegan99
AG
Punishing children because of irrational fears of adults.
Not a Bot
AG
Keegan99 said:

The problem is the CDC is still recommending 14 day quarantines for everyone who had "potential" exposure (regardless of risk factors) -- while at the same time only recommending 10 day quarantines for actual cases so long as the person isn't symptomatic anymore.

Keegan99
AG
Moxley said:

Keegan99 said:

The problem is the CDC is still recommending 14 day quarantines for everyone who had "potential" exposure (regardless of risk factors) -- while at the same time only recommending 10 day quarantines for actual cases so long as the person isn't symptomatic anymore.

Doesn't the CDC define exposure as close contact for fifteen or more continuous minutes? Or have that backtracked on that?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Still the same as far as I know. Yet, it still appears "out of abundance of caution" idiots still hanging on.

"out of abundance of caution" = "I'm too lazy"

It takes manpower to properly assess primary, lazy approach is just to pop a whole group.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Paxton needs to get back to work. That's just more health dept overreach if coming from them. Action should be for what is happening, not what might occur.
Keegan99
AG

Pretty good experiment Georgia has going on.
AeroAg1
AG
Keegan99 said:

Pretty good experiment Georgia has going on.
They've lead the way for the US when everyone was saying not to do what they were doing. It's like they had leadership! Good job.
J. Walter Weatherman
RGV AG said:

Ya'll see the stats in this thread linked below? How could that not be relevant to schools in general?

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3135399

If these stats are true, and right now I don't believe much of any stat I see bandied about by any source because the lack of congruence is just too much. What I do believe is what see first hand and what I have experienced. From line of sight most of the people I know, including my wife, daughter, and I, have mild to no symptoms of this virus. Some people with dire health issues have no symptoms or mild symptoms, while some are hammered by it. Equally, folks with non-covid caused health issues seem to be the highest percentage among those that perish. Tragic? Absolutely. Totally avoidable? Probably not.

6 or 7 months into this in the US, and about 9 months into on a world wide basis an "Occam's Razor" approach to what we know should be taken. Yet in regard to US public school education and many facets of government it is not. That is my issue.

I recently addressed the McAllen school board, led by one of the finest men and Aggies that I have ever known recently. I think my comments fell on deaf ears, as the prevalent course of direction is all about "what we are doing to prevent and protect" instead of "what we are doing to get the kids back into school, into a system that is pretty good".

Until education administrators make getting back into school and getting schools up and running a priority we will continue to see fits and starts and sputtering. Lots of wasted time and money as well.

The one obvious thing that I see from this virus is that you can run, but you can't hide forever. The cost of hiding is going to break this country and life as most Americans have known it.

Unfortunately until the people deciding on these idiotic measures are affected financially we're going to keep seeing them. Make the admin salaries contingent on in-person school happening and they would go away within a couple of days. Same thing with all of the other ridiculous lockdown measures somehow still happening in various places around the country.
amercer
AG
Any reporting on the Georgia cases beyond random Twitter guy?
AeroAg1
AG
amercer said:

He's been pretty good at giving you his sources and showing his work.
AgBrother
Humble ISD (42,000 students and 7,000 employees) voted last night to go away from the A/B schedule for middle and high school to five days a week F2F starting September 21st based on current data (still have a full online option) - originally middle school was suppose to go to that schedule starting October 12th. Kids have been F2F since August 24th - not sure of the positive cases so far in the district - none at my two kids schools (middle and elementary).
amercer
AG
rudy99 said:

amercer said:

So that's a no?

Not trying to be a dick here, but random Twitter guy isn't going to be how we get out of this mess.

I'm happy if things in Georgia have calmed down after the initial hysteria, and I've assumed that things are getting better by the lack of negative stories in the last few weeks. But until there are some articles in the Post or the Times about it, no one is going to care.
tysker
AG
The data was provided in the tweet.
https://www.cherokeek12.net/Content2/casestatusreport

Are you saying people wont believe data provided by the school district until the Post or Times report on that same data?
amercer
AG
Kind of.

I would like to see some actual reporting on what's going on at American schools that have opened.
Cookiemonster64
If you're going to wait for positive news to be reported before believing certain activities aren't as unsafe as originally thought 6 months ago, you're gonna be waiting awhile longer.
tysker
AG
amercer said:

Kind of.

I would like to see some actual reporting on what's going on at American schools that have opened.
You may have to come to your own conclusion based on provided data. Its not common to report on things that don't happen. The first rule of news is If it bleeds, It Leads.
amercer
AG
Pretty sure positive coronavirus news would be a big deal right now.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG
amercer said:

Pretty sure positive coronavirus news would be a big deal right now.

Outside of fox news, which media source is interested in reporting on positive news?
JYDog90
AG
amercer said:

Pretty sure news of positive Coronavirus cases would be a big deal right now.

FIFY.

If you're not hearing it on the news. Consider it positive Coronavirus news.
Formerly Willy Wonka
AeroAg1
AG
amercer said:

rudy99 said:

amercer said:

So that's a no?

Not trying to be a dick here, but random Twitter guy isn't going to be how we get out of this mess.

I'm happy if things in Georgia have calmed down after the initial hysteria, and I've assumed that things are getting better by the lack of negative stories in the last few weeks. But until there are some articles in the Post or the Times about it, no one is going to care.
Oh, sorry I thought you were looking for the real data.

No, you won't find it in the Post of the Times but I think a lot of folks are realizing that too.
Keegan99
AG
I think Avik explained it well here...

P.U.T.U
AG
I think there are too many studies from too many countries to conclude that school aged children are good carriers or transmitters of COVID 19. The fact that the majority of the public does not understand this or know the information is readily available shows their lack of effort or desire to enhance their knowledge of what was once unknown. We thought this could be a pandemic like the one of 1918 that took out people of all ages but now it is one that is most dangerous for a small amount of the population. But still so many people think they have a good chance of dying if they get it. My wife and I have chosen to not live in fear and the same as our kids, all of us have a 99.9%+ chance of surviving if we get it, we will take that risk. Compile that with the fact we have both been working the entire time leads us not to fear Covid.

We need schools to be open for the parents and kids alike. Seeing the difference in the kids attitudes from March and now is massive (our district has been open for a month now). Kids need to be around other kids, they need activities outside the home to grow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.