Reopening Schools

217,337 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Mattowander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FDXAg said:

EMSISD in Fort Worth is going back in person finally on September 9th. Problem is, we are being told it's basically a "remote learning" system in the classroom where the students must all bring their own laptops and will do all their classes and work through Canvas program. Exactly like remote learning.

Supposedly they are doing this to seamlessly switch between in person and remote, if the need arises due to school closings during the semester.

I say that's a garbage environment and I'm irritated that even in class my daughter will have to stare at her computer screen all day. Not sure what the classroom teacher will be doing as the E-learning is asynchronous.

Anyone else in the same boat?

That is how it is in my school teacher and to be honest that is how it needs to be. I am working harder than I ever have as a teacher and the stress is overwhelming at times. I can't imagine trying to also plan two different sets of activities for remote learners and in person learners. I know that is what most parents and students will not want to hear but that is just the reality of the situation. It is not realistic to expect teachers to plan twice as much as normal and do double the work for the same pay. Not to mention that if students or I do have to be quarantined it will allow for a seamless transition.

As far as what happens during the asynchronous time? I am grading assignments, answering student questions, giving feedback to students on their asynchronous work, maybe checking my email if I have a second. It is not like I am sitting back and relaxing. I and most of the teachers I know are basically just in survival mode right now trying to figure out the ins and outs of remote learning and how to deliver instruction to students remotely in an effective way. This is my 8th year never and it has never been this stressful before.
jah003
S
FDXAg said:

EMSISD in Fort Worth is going back in person finally on September 9th. Problem is, we are being told it's basically a "remote learning" system in the classroom where the students must all bring their own laptops and will do all their classes and work through Canvas program. Exactly like remote learning.

Supposedly they are doing this to seamlessly switch between in person and remote, if the need arises due to school closings during the semester.

I say that's a garbage environment and I'm irritated that even in class my daughter will have to stare at her computer screen all day. Not sure what the classroom teacher will be doing as the E-learning is asynchronous.

I start "teaching" on Tuesday. Only Freshman for the first week... which is only 2 of my classes. We are in the same boat... the students will be at their desks, watching zoom, not moving. I'll be in the front of the room behind tape teaching through zoom with my mask on. Makes absolutely zero sense to have the kids in the classroom with the current set up... especially in high school.

This is my 12th year teaching and I feel like a new teacher. I rely on peer grading and that has essentially been eliminated this year. Also... I teach AP Biology. My class should be lab heavy. It's killing me that I can't do labs. That's the best part of my job honestly.
Mattowander
AG
I also am a high school science teacher. It is frustrating not being able to do labs with students. I also teach IB physics and later this year students will need to design and carry out their own experiments and then analyze the data as part of their assessment. I have no idea what that will look like. Unfortunately labs have to be at the bottom of my priority list right now. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned feeling like a first year teacher.
88planoAg
AG
Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

That is how it is in my school teacher and to be honest that is how it needs to be. I am working harder than I ever have as a teacher and the stress is overwhelming at times. I can't imagine trying to also plan two different sets of activities for remote learners and in person learners. I know that is what most parents and students will not want to hear but that is just the reality of the situation. It is not realistic to expect teachers to plan twice as much as normal and do double the work for the same pay. Not to mention that if students or I do have to be quarantined it will allow for a seamless transition.

As far as what happens during the asynchronous time? I am grading assignments, answering student questions, giving feedback to students on their asynchronous work, maybe checking my email if I have a second. It is not like I am sitting back and relaxing. I and most of the teachers I know are basically just in survival mode right now trying to figure out the ins and outs of remote learning and how to deliver instruction to students remotely in an effective way. This is my 8th year never and it has never been this stressful before.
Actually there is another option. Synchronous teaching of e-learners with in person learners. That is what my school district is doing. E-learners attend a regular class with in person learners. Teacher teaches to the in person kids, e-learners follow along.
Mattowander
AG
You are right that that is an option allowed by TEA but my district chose to go the asynchronous route and established how we will split our class time between synchronous and asynchronous learning without any teacher input.

What I am also finding out is that a lot of households do not have the internet bandwidth to support remote learning effectively over webcam. If we did do the synchronous learning route, then if there were any technology issues on my end or the students' end (we are at about 66% remote learners at my school) then those students would be left behind in their learning. I have had a few students tell me how excited they are about coming back next week because they will finally have good enough internet to participate or they will finally be able to stay focused on their school work. I really hope being in person helps those students.

88planoAg said:

Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

Actually there is another option. Synchronous teaching of e-learners with in person learners. That is what my school district is doing. E-learners attend a regular class with in person learners. Teacher teaches to the in person kids, e-learners follow along.
88planoAg
AG
That sucks.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I teach middle school science. We can do labs, but kids have to wear masks at all times during lab work.
rojo_ag
AG
Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

Agreed. We are working harder and trying to be smarter at the same time, but the unknowns abound. I feel like a first year again, and I have 23 years of experience. Kids come back Tuesday. We are actually going to have students go to each of their classes. 7 periods, lunch, and an advisory.. We are going to live stream for the remote learners. If we do have a positive case, it is going to be a nightmare to contact trace. I hate the concept of "learning pods.," bit this may be the best way to reduce the spread. When we STARR test, we are in our rooms with the same kids for four hours. It is painful. I can only imagine how excruciating all day everyday would be.

Are you given a break? Do you eat lunch in your classroom with the students?
Mattowander
AG
rojo_ag said:

Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

Agreed. We are working harder and trying to be smarter at the same time, but the unknowns abound. I feel like a first year again, and I have 23 years of experience. Kids come back Tuesday. We are actually going to have students go to each of their classes. 7 periods, lunch, and an advisory.. We are going to live stream for the remote learners. If we do have a positive case, it is going to be a nightmare to contact trace. I hate the concept of "learning pods.," bit this may be the best way to reduce the spread. When we STARR test, we are in our rooms with the same kids for four hours. It is painful. I can only imagine how excruciating all day everyday would be.

Are you given a break? Do you eat lunch in your classroom with the students?
We are on block schedule with 8 period, 4 periods each day. The idea behind block is that less classes each day means less transitions between classes and so decreased risk of spread. Makes sense for safety reasons but I am not a big fan of block schedule even though it is making planning a little easier. 1 Conference or 1 PD period each day (so 90 minute off period each day essentially). We are also back on Tuesday so not sure what lunch will look like but I will probably each in my room by myself since the teachers lounge is shut down.
CowtownEng
Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

This sounds like extremely poor leadership from the school district. Considering the marginal impact of COVID19 on school age children, why is there not an extreme bias towards facilitating in person schooling?
Mattowander
AG

The school district took a cautious approach like most other districts in the DFW area. The fact is that over 60% of our parents at my campus selected remote learning for their kids so there is also the will of the community to consider as well. Also, I teach high school and so the risks involved and the risk analysis of remote learning versus in person learning is different than it is for elementary students. Juniors and seniors in high school are more likely to contract or spread the disease and are much better equipped to do well with remote learning. I wish somebody would have considered different options for elementary schools versus high schools as far as reopening is concerned.
CowtownEng said:

Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

This sounds like extremely poor leadership from the school district. Considering the marginal impact of COVID19 on school age children, why is there not an extreme bias towards facilitating in person schooling?
Smokedraw01
Mattowander said:

FDXAg said:

It's been a lot but I've had to set boundaries. No email on my phone anymore, I don't respond to parent/student messages after 5:00, and only worry about what I can control. It's not easy but it has helped. Make sure to take care of yourself.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
gvine07
AG
I'm a teacher in CFBISD, and I suspect Matto teaches there, too. We have the same restrictions/policies, and same schedule.

In high school, there's no benefit to "kids don't transmit to each other" because all my students are 17 or 18.

I'm a math teacher, and we can't pass out papers because of unsafe contact. The students can work in notebooks, but I can't physically collect them (I have them take a picture and upload it). It sucks because we can't stop them while they're in the middle of doing something wrong.

I'm trying to be positive about everything, and we've done a good job developing questions that the students can't just google or scan on their phones - for those of you who don't know there are apps that solve ANY "naked" math problems and show the steps. That's been kind of fun, and a good challenge. I also liked to limit notes to one page front and back, now that we're online there's no space limitation.

Basically I would recommend students do remote, unless sitting in my classroom is better than their home life. Nothing this year is perfect, but with a little elbow grease and motivation we can make it better than good.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm glad I teach at a small school in a rural community. Our administration hasn't lost their minds yet.
rojo_ag
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

We are this far along in a pandemic and people think they will get COVID by exchanging paper and grading it. That is sheer lunacy.

Just to clarify: are you suggesting gvine is taking unnecessary precautions when he is most likely following campus and district protocol? Your wording sounds like you are making a judgment call about the poster and not on the policy. I wouldn't think anything of it, but with your posting history on other forums since late March, I wanted to be clear.

I'm wondering. In our shoes as teachers, if you found a mitigation measure to be "sheer lunacy," what would you do? Please don't avoid answering by saying I would quit or I would never be a teacher. Would appreciate an honest answer.

I have another one for you that is IMO one of the most ridiculous yet: My wife teaches theater. On the first day students will be given a face shield and a gallon plastic baggie. Since theater has a higher risk to spread the virus, students will be required to wear a face shield and a mask. At the end of the class, students will wipe off their shield and place it in a baggie with their name on it to save for the next day.
bmart97
AG
rojo_ag said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

We are this far along in a pandemic and people think they will get COVID by exchanging paper and grading it. That is sheer lunacy.

Just to clarify: are you suggesting gvine is taking unnecessary precautions when he is most likely following campus and district protocol? Your wording sounds like you are making a judgment call about the poster and not on the policy. I wouldn't think anything of it, but with your posting history on other forums since late March, I wanted to be clear.

I'm wondering. In our shoes as teachers, if you found a mitigation measure to be "sheer lunacy," what would you do? Please don't avoid answering by saying I would quit or I would never be a teacher. Would appreciate an honest answer.

I have another one for you that is IMO one of the most ridiculous yet: My wife teaches theater. On the first day students will be given a face shield and a gallon plastic baggie. Since theater has a higher risk to spread the virus, students will be required to wear a face shield and a mask. At the end of the class, students will wipe off their shield and place it in a baggie with their name on it to save for the next day.

Didn't ask me, but I'd say it's sheer lunacy to not allow students to return to school as I'd happening in the Rio Grande Valley. Beyond that, take necessary and reasonable measures (the example of your wife's theatre class is one) to return safely to protect older or vulnerable students, teachers and staff.
Bonfired
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm glad I teach at a small school in a rural community. Our administration hasn't lost their minds yet.

I've said for months now that smaller districts were going to be able to handle this more efficiently, and probably more intelligently, than larger districts would. I am much more concerned about getting my hand slapped, or worse, regarding the byzantine protocols than I am getting sick.

Parents in our district are making their selections this weekend for their instructional preference. If no choice is made, default is F2F.

I've got 198 students right now, 177 in an AP course. What we've been told to prepare for is HUGE online classes if one is teaching all virtual. Some of the more niche subjects may end up teaching kids from several different schools. Our French teacher has expressed that concern if she were teaching online, which is why she's opted for F2F.

Regarding not being allowed to collect student work for fear of contact transmission...pfft to that. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have their papers than grade online submissions...it's slower for me online, and no, I don't assign all auto-graded multiple choice.

Hopefully I won't be forbidden from assigning and collecting written work. At least I can be assured it's their work, and it doesn't have to have a certain file extension so I can read the damn thing.
rojo_ag
AG
Quote:

Didn't ask me, but I'd say it's sheer lunacy to not allow students to return to school as I'd happening in the Rio Grande Valley. Beyond that, take necessary and reasonable measures (the example of your wife's theatre class is one) to return safely to protect older or vulnerable students, teachers and staff.

I agree with your opinion that students need to have the option to return. I also agree that we need to take "necessary and reasonable measures." I do find that requiring students to keep their face shields in a baggie every day is certainly a challenge to manage. I would contend that the risk of spread via the virus after it transfers from baggie to baggie will most likely be minimal. As a middle school teacher, I realize how unrealistic it would be to believe students would be able to keep up with their own shields: read: forget a mask=share with friend.

How much instructional time is she going to have to give up to pass out shields and collect them? She is also required to take her students outside after 30 minutes of rehearsal to allow the air to circulate. I hope everyone understands that this year is not about quality, meaningful instruction. We are going to be limited by the mitigation strategies, but I know the teachers on my campus will rise to the occasion. We need a little bit of prayer and a ton of grace. I plan to offer grace to my students, to the parents, and to my coworkers as well.
Bonfired
AG
rojo_ag said:

I hope everyone understands that this year is not about quality, meaningful instruction.

That perspective doesn't fly with very many of the parents of my students...I can go ahead and say that with near 100% certainty. I think they sort of appreciate the difficulties imposed by the circumstances, but at the end ot the day/year, my course is a means to an end for them...prepare their child for the AP exam so they can earn some college credit and save some money.

I'm losing essentially 40% of my normal instructional time every week we're online because of our schedule setup...155 minutes a week compared to 250. Long-term, that is a crusher in an AP course. I hammered that point to every parent who stopped by our virtual open house this past week, and when I put it like I just did in terms of time, they understood why I spend my limited "contact" time with direct instruction.

We all have different fish to fry with what we teach and at what level. I can't even begin to give in to the notion of dialing back instruction.
Post removed:
by user
88planoAg
AG
I am so sad as a parent of a junior in HS that this year isn't about quality instruction (not a slam on teachers, a reply to a comment above) I think teachers are going above and beyond but between the end of last year and this year I ache for my kid.

update on the Boerne e-learning community. Parents are excited to find more free time for their kids to do more extracurriculars like flag football, soccer, etc. And they get more time with friends in 'their bubble'! This is from a parent who is a doctor. How is this safer than sending kid to school? idk. Because their 'bubble' friends are not the same as their teammates, I'm sure. Then there is the parent who is keeping the kids in e-learning so they can spend part of the next 9 weeks traveling in Colorado.

That isn't the vision of e-learning I had. I thought the whole point was to give those parents so worried about this virus the ability to protect their children from cooties at school.
Jack Boyett
AG
rojo_ag said:

Quote:

I hope everyone understands that this year is not about quality, meaningful instruction.
A year? Within a month the death rate will be below the CDC standard for an epidemic. By the time these schools figure out all these plans it will be over. Not a single school that is open is having problems with the virus spreading in the school. Does that not mean anything?
Jack Boyett
AG
Sorry, I was wrong. We are already below the CDC epidemic threshld.
rojo_ag
AG
Bonfired said:

rojo_ag said:

That perspective doesn't fly with very many of the parents of my students...I can go ahead and say that with near 100% certainty. I think they sort of appreciate the difficulties imposed by the circumstances, but at the end ot the day/year, my course is a means to an end for them...prepare their child for the AP exam so they can earn some college credit and save some money.

I'm losing essentially 40% of my normal instructional time every week we're online because of our schedule setup...155 minutes a week compared to 250. Long-term, that is a crusher in an AP course. I hammered that point to every parent who stopped by our virtual open house this past week, and when I put it like I just did in terms of time, they understood why I spend my limited "contact" time with direct instruction.

We all have different fish to fry with what we teach and at what level. I can't even begin to give in to the notion of dialing back instruction.
I can totally understand your situation and recognize how important the AP exam is. It is essential that these students receive the best preparation as possible since there is so much at stake. I can only imagine the sense of responsibility you have to ensure that your students are going to be successful because there is no getting back this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that we dial back instruction; however, we have to offer ourselves and the students permission to recognize the challenges, acknowledge we can only do what we can do, do our best to maintain emotional fortitude as we live through the chaos, and forgive ourselves when we can't do all that we typically are able to do. Although I agree that we need to strive for quality instruction, in the face of the limitations we need to understand that we will often fail to reach that goal. That doesn't make us less effective educators. There's more important lessons to be learned this year, IMO.

At my level, the stakes are certainly not as high as yours. If I can help my students develop a sense of agency, foster an intrinsic desire to be academically accountable, and catalyze a willingness to persevere, the content will take care of itself. If students learn these academic characteristics, when they come to you they will be better prepared to reap the successes you will sow.
rojo_ag
AG
Jack Boyett said:

rojo_ag said:

Quote:

A year? Within a month the death rate will be below the CDC standard for an epidemic. By the time these schools figure out all these plans it will be over. Not a single school that is open is having problems with the virus spreading in the school. Does that not mean anything?
And. . .short answer. . .nope.

I hope you are right, but when I started this thread in April, posters admonished me for even considering that schools would take measures to slow the spread. I have many, many years in education, and I have a pretty good handle on what administrators will do. Some posters believed that this would be over by May. Well. . .here we are. People still in denial that the response to this virus is going to change. I like your positivity, but color me skeptical for now.
rojo_ag
AG
I really appreciate your thoughtful post and clarification. I'm angry and frustrated too. But, this has never been a thread about what we should do. This is about what districts are going to do. No amount of data and facts are going to change how the virus will be mitigated (even if you believe it should). Unless (and I've been saying this for months now) we decide that we will not continue to take mitigation measures, this is our reality.

Be careful with trying to generalize the data out of Sweden. The U.S. is not Sweden. Kids might not have died, but their research according to the reports I have read were incomplete. In addition, Swedes don't typically live in multi-generational households. Swedes are in general healthier, tend to trust their government, and follow directions. In addition their death rate was 5 - 10 times higher than their neighbors. The virus ravaged their nursing homes and the small minority population. NB4 Keegan drops by.

If 96% of US Covid deaths were people who had at least one underlying condition and 60% of the US citizens fits that description, how high would our death count be if we had no mitigation strategies? Obesity is one of those conditions. I have heard the argument that if your are overweight and you die of Covid that is the consequences of poor life choices.I think you posted on a thread discussing this topic.

Given our current circumstances, schools will continue to attempt to slow the spread, so the virus does not spread faster in the community.
Keegan99
AG
Population-adjusted all-cause mortality for Sweden shows 2020 as perfectly normal. The year 2019 is the outlier.

Sorry.

rojo_ag
AG
Don't know why you need to apologize, but you don't need to convince me with your charts and technical terms that I'm too stupid to understand. Perhaps instead of posting on TexAgs, send this information to the people who make the big decisions. See if it changes their minds or if they even care.
cone
AG
technical terms too stupid to understand?
rojo_ag
AG
cone said:

technical terms too stupid to understand?

Yes, cone. I'm not very smart. When Keegan jumps into a thread, I would appreciate a bit of analysis rather than posting an epidemiology term and a fancy chart or graph. Provide a bit of context and how it is relevant to the discussion. Why should I have to be the one to interpret. IMO, a sound argument needs more than data dropping. You need commentary to explain how the data is relevant.

For example:

Keegan: According to this graph, when compared with excess deaths from years past, Sweden has shown no more deaths above what would be expected any given year. This may reveal that the higher percentage of deaths associated with Covid were those who were going to die during the year anyway. So, to use Sweden's numbers to state the need to mitigate does not work.

Me: That is interesting. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Would you explain the 200,000 excess deaths since March compared to the five year average in the US.
GAC06
AG
Sounds like you understood it just fine
ac04
going to have to remember that line for our CFO next time we blow the budget
Teslag
AG
rojo_ag said:

Don't know why you need to apologize, but you don't need to convince me with your charts and technical terms that I'm too stupid to understand. Perhaps instead of posting on TexAgs, send this information to the people who make the big decisions. See if it changes their minds or if they even care.

I think it is easily apparent at this point that logical fact based reasoning isn't going to sway their decision, since it didn't drive it either.
rojo_ag
AG
Leather Tuscadero said:

rojo_ag said:

I think it is easily apparent at this point that logical fact based reasoning isn't going to sway their decision, since it didn't drive it either.

And that is the POTD.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.