Reopening Schools

223,046 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I ever see being kicked around and discussed is "teacher safety" as in trying to keep them from not dying being the only reason schools may consider going online.

Here's another perspective I'm not seeing discussed.... so this thing is apparently awfully contagious, so how many teachers/administrators, etc can a school handle being out sick for a minimum of 14 days while they quarantine after being infected?

At what point can a school not function due to folks being at home? How many teachers out sick is a really bad day prior to Covid? It will likely be much worse if they fully open, even if everyone gets a "mild" case and is only out 14 days. We've already had teachers here say that finding a sub is damn near impossible these days. So a school has an outbreak, X number of teachers are sent home for 14 days, how many subs are going to think "Yeah, cool, I'll go teach in that building for 14 days"

And how many kids will have to go home for 14 days during an outbreak? If we aren't offering any online lessons, how many of them will just have 2 weeks of make up work to do?

Maybe there are other considerations than just "we don't even 1 teacher to die" at play here.
Vernada
AG
I think I posted this before, but in my district what they are currently saying is the if a class has to quarantine because of an exposure, that entire class will transition to remote learning the following day... with the teacher leading the remote learning.

I don't think that will be easy, but at least the school as a 1:1 ipad/student ratio and all work will already be done that way regardless of physical/remote presence.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Vernada said:

I think I posted this before, but in my district what they are currently saying is the if a class has to quarantine because of an exposure, that entire class will transition to remote learning the following day... with the teacher leading the remote learning.

I don't think that will be easy, but at least the school as a 1:1 ipad/student ratio and all work will already be done that way regardless of physical/remote presence.
Yeah, if that's their plan, they may as well just go to remote learning for the year. Unless they feel rotating classes in and out of school until "herd immunity" has gone though all of their staff is more productive.
Vernada
AG
Yeah - even when the supt was saying that, I don't think he felt like it was a good option.

But the problem is, the ISD have so many constraints but no guidance on how they are supposed to accommodate all of those constraints.

They have potential mandatory quarantines (14 days each), mandatory closures (5 days max), and then a mandatory minimum number of days of instruction.

Not a good situation.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I hope all of you who are pushing for reopening without precautions are calling your local schools and signing up to be substitute teachers. This from a practical point is going to be a huge issue.

Most districts are short of substitutes anyway. Rarely a day goes by that our sub clerk does not have to put out an email begging teachers to take that extra class that no sub is there for. When we start combining classes that will make social distancing even more difficult.

I teach 16 to 18 year olds who are minorities, have jobs, and most live in multi generational homes. 31 in a class with no way to get that 31st desk in without blocking the door, so last one in sits at teacher desk. That is the reality in big city high schools.

So kids come to school sick...did this before covid. Every stomach virus and such makes the rounds every year. We already have huge problems getting subs for these outages before covid. Almost all our subs are retired teachers who work to supplement their income. Some of them have even higher risk spouses at home. I suspect they will want to sit this year out.

So if you are young and not worried because this is just like the flu and you won't get that sick anyway...then sign up to be a substitute teacher for middle or high school in your area. You will be needed,
Smokedraw01
People watch too much "news" and do very little to improve the world around them.
rojo_ag
AG
Bassmaster said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

it seems like students and the parents are carrying the intellectual and emotional burden, mostly to benefit the physical safety of the staff and teachers.
I think as it gets closer, teachers are realizing that a lot of folks seem to be willing to sacrifice the teachers' health and safety and, believe it or not, a lot are NOT ok with that.

While a bit of a separate issue, I think what we are starting to see is that your 'personal responsibility' decisions do in fact have community impacts... and right now, normal resumption of school might be one of the casualties.

Why are teachers treated any differently than anyone else with a job?
How many people do you interact with during a typically work day? Do they have an awareness of mortality and follow instructions the first time they are given?

Typical secondary teachers interact with at least 150 students face-to-face 48+ minutes a day for 7 hours. I believe that we should be considered essential workers and must do our jobs on campus, but please don't compare the risks associated with teaching during this time to the risks of all people with a job. And yes, I realize many workers in many jobs have higher risks than others.
BBQ4Me
AG
https://apple.news/AT-I3Hm_tRumovNrZxvViFA

" Israel's unchecked resurgence of COVID-19 was propelled by the abrupt May 17 decision to reopen all schools, medical and public-health officials have told The Daily Beast"

" Adults, including teachers and other employees, brought it into schools, which are, in the end, closed spaces," he said, underscoring the finding that middle-school children proved to be the most dangerous vectors.
"The younger students were more obedient and easier to control in a classroom setting," Khatib said, "and had more respect for their teachers. Among high schoolers, there was a greater ability to understand. But it is in the nature of middle-school kids to rebel, not to obey teachers, not to wear masks or keep apart."
tysker
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I hope all of you who are pushing for reopening without precaustions are calling your local schools and signing up to be substitute teachers. This from a practical point is going to be a huge issue.

Most districts are short of subsitutes anyway. Rarely a day goes by that our sub clerk does not have to put out an email begging teachers to take that extra class that no sub is there for. When we start combining classes that will make social distancing even more difficult.

I teach 16 to 18 year olds who are minorities, have jobs, and most live in multi generational homes. 31 in a class with no way to get that 31st desk in without blocking the door, so last one in sits at teacher desk. That is the reality in big city high schools.

So kids come to school sick...did this before covid. Every stomach virus and such makes the rounds every year. We already have huge problems getting subs for these outages before covid. Almost all our subs are retired teachers who work to supplement their income. Some of them have even higher risk spouses at home. I suspect they will want to sit this year out.

So if you are young and not worried becuase this is just like the flu and you won't get that sick anyway...then sign up to be a subsittute teacher for middle or high school in your area. You will be needed,
But thats the best thing about online learning. Throw a $200 TV in the classroom and stream in the same video feed the online students are getting. Remote teaching requires no additional labor. If done well, the large scale need for substitutes can become a thing of the past.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
So my 180 or so 16 to 18 year olds are going to be in classes with no adult supervision. That should work well. I am sure none of them will share controlled substances, leave campus to beat the lunch rush, meet boyfriends to make babies, or other random things that teenagers will do when left alone.
GinaLinetti
AG
That won't be possible due to ferpa. Lessons will have to be given by someone not teaching in person students, or that teacher will have to teach distance learner's during lunch, conference, after school, etc.

Nevermind. Reading comp is hard some days :p
tysker
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

So my 180 or so 16 to 18 year olds are going to be in classes with no adult supervision. That should work well. I am sure none of them will share controlled substances, leave campus to beat the lunch rush, meet boyfriends to make babies, or other random things that teenagers will do when left alone.
They are "staying at home" and "working online" with no adult supervision and yet some are selling that option as one that will "work well."
GinaLinetti
AG
Quote:

But it is in the nature of middle-school kids to rebel, not to obey teachers, not to wear masks or keep apart.

Can we all at least agree that middle schoolers suck? Man, you couldn't pay me enough to be that age again or teach that age
Throwout
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I hope all of you who are pushing for reopening without precautions are calling your local schools and signing up to be substitute teachers. This from a practical point is going to be a huge issue.

We already have signed up to be substitute teachers. If our kids aren't in school, that's exactly what every one of us will be as parents. Oh, and we'll also be doing our regular day jobs as well.
Beat40
Player To Be Named Later said:

All I ever see being kicked around and discussed is "teacher safety" as in trying to keep them from not dying being the only reason schools may consider going online.

Here's another perspective I'm not seeing discussed.... so this thing is apparently awfully contagious, so how many teachers/administrators, etc can a school handle being out sick for a minimum of 14 days while they quarantine after being infected?

At what point can a school not function due to folks being at home? How many teachers out sick is a really bad day prior to Covid? It will likely be much worse if they fully open, even if everyone gets a "mild" case and is only out 14 days. We've already had teachers here say that finding a sub is damn near impossible these days. So a school has an outbreak, X number of teachers are sent home for 14 days, how many subs are going to think "Yeah, cool, I'll go teach in that building for 14 days"

And how many kids will have to go home for 14 days during an outbreak? If we aren't offering any online lessons, how many of them will just have 2 weeks of make up work to do?

Maybe there are other considerations than just "we don't even 1 teacher to die" at play here.

Certainly a consideration.

How are other industries handling this with their workforce?

This is time for people to get creative and think outside the box. Maybe A school needs to hire 10 more teachers. Maybe districts need to higher 30-40 teachers that can roam between schools.

Maybe the older and more vulnerable can teach the online classes and the online/in person classes keep up the same schedule so that if an in person teacher gets sick, they can transition a class to online for the period.

I don't know, but let's get creative with the goal of having all of the younger kids in school and exhaust every avenue of making that work.

I personally think districts are limiting liability more than anything.

88planoAg
AG
We just lost both band directors for our HS. Both retired. 2 weeks before summer band was supposed to begin.

How they will fill those 2 positions on top of everything else I have no idea.

We knew marching band was in jeopardy before, now 99% sure it won't happen for us.

I hate 2020.
Smokedraw01
GinaLinetti said:

Quote:

But it is in the nature of middle-school kids to rebel, not to obey teachers, not to wear masks or keep apart.

Can we all at least agree that middle schoolers suck? Man, you couldn't pay me enough to be that age again or teach that age

They are my circus.
fishJones
AG
Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

We already have signed up to be substitute teachers. If our kids aren't in school, that's exactly what every one of us will be as parents. Oh, and we'll also be doing our regular day jobs as well.
Nailed it.
Bassmaster
AG
Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Exactly. It is such a ridiculous argument. Maybe my tax dollars should be spent more efficiently. Lord knows I pay enough. If you can't get a substitute to come in, you aren't paying them enough money that the market dictates.
WorthAg95
AG
Vernada said:

tysker said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

it seems like students and the parents are carrying the intellectual and emotional burden, mostly to benefit the physical safety of the staff and teachers.
I think as it gets closer, teachers are realizing that a lot of folks seem to be willing to sacrifice the teachers' health and safety and, believe it or not, a lot are NOT ok with that.
Similarly there are parents (and students) that are now realizing that lot of folks seem to be willing to sacrifice their child's education and, believe it or not, a lot are NOT ok with that.
Teachers aren't happy about this either - most WANT to teach.

But they want to be able to do it safely.

I don't think that's unreasonable. I expect to be safe when I go to my job.

Right now TEA/school districts etc are doing a terrible job letting teachers know how they are going to be kept safe and what is going to be required of them and how they will achieve those requirements.
Maybe those teachers should survey their friends and family who are doctors, nurses, medical assistants...you know, the ones in the thick of everything. How do they keep their families safe? Even my job gives me basics of mitigating risk: wash hands, sanitizer if no soap available, mask, wash clothes upon coming into the house and immediately take a shower.
GinaLinetti
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

GinaLinetti said:

Quote:

They are my circus.

I don't know how you do it
Bassmaster
AG
Me specifically, not many. Many other jobs closely interact with just as many people as teachers do and they seem to be trucking along just fine. My wife is one of those people and she hasn't missed a day since this all started.
rojo_ag
AG
Quote:

But thats the best thing about online learning. Throw a $200 TV in the classroom and stream in the same video feed the online students are getting. Remote teaching requires no additional labor. If done well, the large scale need for substitutes can become a thing of the past.
I like your thinking, and I thought of this as an option. It sounds logical, but it isn't practical to live stream instruction (maybe at high school). I rarely stand in the same place during a lesson. I know that I will have to adjust my style to compensate, but I try to position myself as a facilitator and an expert learner rather than the sage of the stage.

In addition, many students watching a live feed of the class will have a difficult time paying attention without direct and indirect redirection and reminders to stay on task. If it is lived streamed, I will not be able to see the students who are participating on-line. It is much more effective to meet with students who are participating in asynchronous learning and meeting with me during office hours to ask questions and guide them through challenging content. Also working with a class of students on Zoom or Google Hangout has more advantages than live streaming.
GinaLinetti
AG
Our school nurse (who works in the ER as well) is actually thinking about going back to the hospital full time. She feels like the ER is a more controlled environment and safer at this point in time. She's also considering keeping her kids home this next year, work nights and teach them during the day. I really hope she changes her mind. She's awesome.
rojo_ag
AG
Bassmaster said:

Me specifically, not many. Many other jobs closely interact with just as many people as teachers do and they seem to be trucking along just fine. My wife is one of those people and she hasn't missed a day since this all started.
Yes, but adults have a better understanding of mortality and typically follow directions without continual enforcement.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
damn, hadnt heard this yet, that's a huge blow. However, I bet they find a competent replacement pretty quick. The football OC job had overwhelming # of applications. Band is a big deal to the school and students. I am confident they will react and take care of this. Surely there was an understudy.
Fenrir
Can't blame her. Schools will have had months to figure a system out and get buy-in. It's not clear that any of them will have figured out how to pull their heads out of their asses prior to fall semester starting so far.
tysker
AG
Bassmaster said:

Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Exactly. It is such a ridiculous argument. Maybe my tax dollars should be spent more efficiently. Lord knows I pay enough. If you can't get a substitute to come in, you aren't paying them enough money that the market dictates.
Or the barrier to entry is too great. Remove the teacher certification or bachelor's degree requirements. Allow for half day subs so people with part time work can take on a class or two. Especially if schools can have remote teachers providing the lecture and leading the classroom, the schools mostly would need an "adult" physically in classroom.

Be creative, be flexible and fail fast.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Bassmaster said:

Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

You know how they'll be able to pay substitutes more money?
Big Al 1992
AG
There could be an opportunity for someone - maybe someone that lost their job - to substitute- and for someone that has gone thru Covid and built up antibodies - to be paid a premium to teach.
Jbob04
AG
Throwout said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

Exactly. It's simple, if you are high risk or are too afraid to go back, then stay at home. Keeping kids out of school any longer than they have been should not be an option.
GinaLinetti
AG
We had a lot of that happening, but the goal posts and guidelines keep moving. No matter what happens, there are going to be pissed off people on both sides. If nothing else, this is an incredibly interesting time to be alive. Personally, I'm glad I don't have to make all these decisions. It's going to be interesting to see how the landscape of public and private Ed change. I could see public and private offering distance as an option from here on out.
deadbq03
AG
We could probably come up with lots of really neat ideas if there were more more money. That's the bottom line. These schools are having to come up with plans that fit TEA rules without getting extra money to help pay for it.

Meanwhile, our government leaders have no problem bailing out businesses affected by Covid.
Jbob04
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Most districts are short of substitutes anyway. Rarely a day goes by that our sub clerk does not have to put out an email begging teachers to take that extra class that no sub is there for. When we start combining classes that will make social distancing even more difficult.

So if you are young and not worried because this is just like the flu and you won't get that sick anyway...then sign up to be a substitute teacher for middle or high school in your area. You will be needed,

No disrespect intended here, but if you are so afraid maybe it's time to find another profession or retire. Shutting schools down any longer should not be an option. There will be many kids who will not recover academically if we go another year without face to face classes. Nobody is forcing you to go back to the classroom but you are trying to force everyone else to homeschool their children while having careers of their own.
Charpie
AG
Great. So who is going to teach those kids? Let's assume that every teacher who can't or shouldn't go back to the classroom doesn't.

WHAT NOW? You gonna put 60 kids in each classroom? Hire more teachers? We are already in a teacher shortage.

Let's be realistic people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.