Positive for corona

112,973 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
gwdykes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Praying for both of you. So scary.
goodAg80
AG
Still thinking of you both.
ChemEng94
AG
Praying for you and your partner. Hope he gets better soon and that your recovery is complete.
Ronniecoleman30
AG
Praying for you both, Baller.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Predictably, he's tested positive for coronavirus. It's barely attacked his lungs but went all in on his heart and has caused a lot of inflammation and pain as a result. His heart rate is still erratic and they are treating with some of the experimental new treatments and anti inflammatories.

He will probably be there through the weekend.

Understandably, we are both very concerned and it's more stressful that visitation rights aren't allowed right now.
L08
UTExan said:

Baller (and or any docs): did you experience any tremors? Our daughter is director of a memory care center near Atlanta and three patients who are Covid 19 positive showed this symptom. And for the record, any of her patients there who are over 65 are not being admitted to hospital according to her.
Meaning they are doing nothing for them even if their symptoms worsen? So very sad.
Charpie
AG
I'm so sorry. It's crazy how the same disease attacked you both so differently. Prayers for you both
Leggo My Elko
AG
T&P
cbr
AG
hoping and praying for the best. and very, very appreciative of your sharing this information. it is truly helpful to the rest of us, as painful as it is personally.
FireAg
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Predictably, he's tested positive for coronavirus. It's barely attacked his lungs but went all in on his heart and has caused a lot of inflammation and pain as a result. His heart rate is still erratic and they are treating with some of the experimental new treatments and anti inflammatories.

Understandably, we are both very concerned and it's more stressful that visitation rights aren't allowed right now.
Very sorry you are both going through this...
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Get well and stay well.
John Francis Donaghy
Hey Baller,

FDA relaxing ban on gay men donating blood. I know you were talking about this earlier in the thread, and I'm not sure if your partner is a candidate for this type of treatment or not, but maybe something tk ask about

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/health/fda-blood-donations-coronavirus.html
SPF250
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

His heart rate is still erratic and they are treating with some of the experimental new treatments and anti inflammatories.
Interesting that they are treating with anti-inflammatories. I thought from Doc Rev, and other docs, that anti-inflammatories were contra-indicated.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
The FDA just came through with a big broom and changed ALOT of their guidances:

Quote:

MCN 20-037:
FDA Publishes Guidance Documents for Immediate Implementation

FDA recognizes that maintaining adequate levels of our nation's blood supply is critical. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to dramatic reductions in the number of donations due to social distancing and the cancellation of blood drives. To help address this critical need and increase the number of donations, the FDA announced today that based on recently completed studies and epidemiologic data, they have concluded that the current policies regarding the eligibility of certain donors can be modified without compromising the safety of the blood supply.

The policy changes the FDA announced for immediate implementation are set out in three guidance documents and are expected to remain in place after the COVID-19 public health emergency ends, however, the guidance documents state that FDA expects that the recommendations set forth in the revised guidance will continue to apply outside the context of the current public health emergency" and FDA intends to revise and replace the guidance documents within 60 days following termination of the public health emergency. Below is a brief synopsis of the changes in each document.

Revised Recommendations for Reducing the Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Products The primary changes in the guidance are, essentially changing deferral times from 12 to 3 months:
  • Defer indefinitely anyone with a positive test for HIV
  • Defer for 3 months from last event anyone who exchanged sex for money or drugs
  • Defer for 3 months from last event anyone who engaged in non-prescription injection drug use
  • Defer for 3 months from last event anyone who has a history of sex with anyone listed above
  • Defer for 3 months from last transfusion of allogeneic transfusions of blood or components
  • Defer for 3 months from last exposure individuals who had contact with blood through percutaneous inoculation such as needles stick of contact with open wound/mucous membranes
  • Defer for 3 months from most recent tattoo, ear/body piercing excluding tattoos applied by a state regulated parlor using sterile needles and non-reusable ink and body piercing using single-use equipment.
  • Defer for 3 months after completion of treatment an individual with history of syphilis or gonorrhea
  • Defer for 3 months after most recent sexual contact of a man who had sex with another man
  • Defer for 3 months after most recent sexual contact of a woman who had sex with a man who had sex with another may within the previous 3 months
  • Defer indefinitely individuals with hemophilia or other related clotting factor deficiencies for donor safety reasons.

Recommendations to Reduce the Possible Risk of Transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and Variant Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease by Blood and Blood Components Finalizes the draft guidance by same name from January 2020. The biggest change to this removes the deferral criteria for geographical risk of vCJD for U.S. military bases in Europe excluding time in U.K. from 1980-1996 (cumulative 3 months), and France or Ireland from 1980-2001 (cumulative 5 years).

Revised Recommendations to Reduce the Risk of Transfusion-Transmitted Malaria reduces deferral time for travel by individuals who have never lived in a malarial endemic area but who travel to such an area from 12 months to 3 months

The FDA also published a guidance, Alternative Procedures for Blood and Blood Components During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, for immediate implementation for the duration of the declared public health emergency:

This guidance provides variances to allow:
  • the use of units identified as unsuitable due to failure to follow procedures that do not affect safety of the safety of the donors for blood pressure, pulse, weight or donation frequency and the donation is otherwise suitable.
  • release from quarantine of Source Plasma donated by paid donors 15 days earlier, 45 instead of 60 days.
  • extend the time to clarify donor responses to 72 hours from date of donation.

AustinAg2K
BallerStaf2003 said:

Any chance you at least get to skype/zoom?

This really sucks for you. You are definitely in my, and I think everyone on Texags, prayers.
Federale01
AG
Good. It still infuriates me that a committed same sex partnership is treated the same as an IV drug user and a prostitute. I get the risk factors for non-partnered gay people, but still.
BallerStaf2003
AG
AustinAg2K said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Any chance you at least get to skype/zoom?

This really sucks for you. You are definitely in my, and I think everyone on Texags, prayers.

Yeah we FaceTime a lot. He has a big loving Christian family also so they've been a big help.
UTExan
L08 said:

UTExan said:

Baller (and or any docs): did you experience any tremors? Our daughter is director of a memory care center near Atlanta and three patients who are Covid 19 positive showed this symptom. And for the record, any of her patients there who are over 65 are not being admitted to hospital according to her.
Meaning they are doing nothing for them even if their symptoms worsen? So very sad.

Basically, they don't feel this is survivable. She is sleeping in her office and unable to go home due to exposure to Covid 19 positive residents and a child who has asthma. We are praying a lot.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Legal Custodian
AG
How's your partner doing Baller? Praying that all is going well
AggieOO
hadn't opened this thread in a few days. Not at all what I was hoping to read.

Hang in there Baller. Hope your partner kicks this thing's ass.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Hey everyone, my partner just got discharged from the hospital.

The myocarditis finally calmed down and his heart rate slowed to a normal level. There's significant inflammation there so he's on bed rest for the next week.

He's home now in bed and in a lot of pain when he breaths.

I really, really appreciate all the kind words and comments and hope I can return the favor in the near future.

Much love to everyone. Gig em.
ham98
88planoAg
goodAg80
Ranger222
Rock1982
AggieOO
ChemEng94
AG
Good news! Sorry you both got it, but glad you beat it. Scary virus.
Charpie
AG
God is good!
John J 01
aggiece98
MyAgs1820
Thank God you're both recovered from this scary disease. Prayers for continued improvement.
Reveille
AG
I am very happy to hear that!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
Marcus Aurelius

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.