Positive for corona

113,010 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
Gordo14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's entirely possible that I caught COVID 19 in Italy right as the cases exploded over there. Got pretty sick 2 days after I got back - around March 2nd - (some of my symptoms at the time were not associated with COVID-19, but have since been linked to it - diarrhea being the big one). They did not have any testing available at the time for the disease and I mostly recovered within 48 hours of my symptoms. If there is a way to get tested for the antibodies, (and I did test immune to it), I would be happy to donate. I'm also O blood type.

Anyways, if you have any idea how I could get tested (or when), I'd be happy to donate if it would help. Just don't want to burden anybody at this point, especially since I don't know if I had it. I self quarantined when I got sick so I didn't expose anybody that I know really.
p_bubel
BallerStaf2003 said:

Just an update.

Still 100%. No cough. No nothing. All chest congestion gone.

It left as quickly as it went away.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you feel symptoms or just want to talk it out.
Reveille
AG
Gordo14 said:

It's entirely possible that I caught COVID 19 in Italy right as the cases exploded over there. Got pretty sick 2 days after I got back - around March 2nd - (some of my symptoms at the time were not associated with COVID-19, but have since been linked to it - diarrhea being the big one). They did not have any testing available at the time for the disease and I mostly recovered within 48 hours of my symptoms. If there is a way to get tested for the antibodies, (and I did test immune to it), I would be happy to donate. I'm also O blood type.

Anyways, if you have any idea how I could get tested (or when), I'd be happy to donate if it would help. Just don't want to burden anybody at this point, especially since I don't know if I had it. I self quarantined when I got sick so I didn't expose anybody that I know really.

Hold tight because antibody tests are begging developed and if you were positive your plasma could be become important in trying to save others. As we start to have more recovered cases hopefully we can start more plasma trials.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
L08 said:

Guess more and more are mentioning the loss of taste and smell. With the frequency it has come up, should definitely be one of those questions to ask or add to questionnaires to catch people earlier on.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-patients-doctors-seem-to-be-temporarily-losing-their-sense-of-taste-and-smell-heres-why-213029665.html
I put some vanilla on a paper towel in a jar.

Everyone in the house has to check every day if they can smell it. So far, no changes.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Proposition Joe
Dad-O-Lot said:

L08 said:

Guess more and more are mentioning the loss of taste and smell. With the frequency it has come up, should definitely be one of those questions to ask or add to questionnaires to catch people earlier on.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-patients-doctors-seem-to-be-temporarily-losing-their-sense-of-taste-and-smell-heres-why-213029665.html
I put some vanilla on a paper towel in a jar.

Everyone in the house has to check every day if they can smell it. So far, no changes.

That's just begging for the ultimate Dad joke of switching it to something without a smell one morning.
dmart90
AG
Congrats on beating this thing, Baller! And thanks for sharing your story! Really good bull!
BallerStaf2003
AG
Reveille said:

We are going to try to use the plasma of recovered patients to give antibodies to the ill with plasma transplants.

Do you know if this comes with the same restrictions as donating blood? I'd love to help.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Keegan99 said:

Baller - Hope you're still in the clear, and thank you again for all you've shared. Out of curiosity, is your partner still exhibiting zero symptoms?

He has a bit of a cough but is totally fine. I think the cough is allergies.
Keegan99
AG
That's astounding. There's no doubt your partner was exposed to viral loads that were more than sufficient to infect.

Researchers are going to have a field day trying to figure out why this is happening / happened.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Reveille said:

We are going to try to use the plasma of recovered patients to give antibodies to the ill with plasma transplants.

Do you know if this comes with the same restrictions as donating blood? I'd love to help.

Short answer: not sure

We are waiting on guidance and information on this process. I know our medical team has been slammed with industry calls and regulatory bodies to implement this process.

ETA: NY Blood Center did the first collection. It is short on details, but a bit about the process.

https://nybc.org/news/articles/new-york-blood-center-collect-first-blood-plasma-donations-recovered-covid-19-patients-treat-severe-cases/
BallerStaf2003
AG
He definitely had it.
swimmerbabe11

dreyOO
Really pleased with your progress Baller. Like many, watched and prayed from afar.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I PMd you.

Appreciate it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
BallerStaf2003
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Reveille said:

Short answer: not sure

We are waiting on guidance and information on this process. I know our medical team has been slammed with industry calls and regulatory bodies to implement this process.

ETA: NY Blood Center did the first collection. It is short on details, but a bit about the process.

https://nybc.org/news/articles/new-york-blood-center-collect-first-blood-plasma-donations-recovered-covid-19-patients-treat-severe-cases/

If so I cannot donate. Gay men can't give blood and unless they waive the restriction my antibodies will stay inside me.

I would definitely like to help.
BallerStaf2003
AG
The doctor I was in the operating room with is now at home and recovering. He nearly died but is now ok.
John Francis Donaghy
Awesome!
AggieOO
BallerStaf2003 said:

The doctor I was in the operating room with is now at home and recovering. He nearly died but is now ok.
Tabasco
AG
Re: plasma of recovered for antibodies, what would they do for the donator? Would it permanently reduce their antibodies and effectively lower there resistance in the future? Or are antibodies constantly replicating?
KlinkerAg11
AG
Great news all around!

Very glad the Doctor, you, and your boyfriend are well!

When I get down about all of this is just think about your story.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
We understand and appreciate the support. I wish I had a better answer for ya, but will definitely let you know if I hear anything that may change it.
jvanbeek
AG
jonj101 said:

Have the doctors mentioned anything to you about potential long term issues?

Im asking because there was a small study conducted in which a percentage of people who had recovered were found to have some lung issues, but since the study was so small I don't think they had anything concrete on it yet. If I can find the link again I'll post it.
That study was of people that had pneumonia and were very sick. Not run of the mill virus patients.
Jim VanBeek '85, '99
Ag12thman
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Really, really happy to hear this. Sent some prayers up for him when you first mentioned it.
Reveille
AG
They may still have restrictions on plasma donation since you are gay. However, you can check and see. I times like these sometimes the red tape gets removed. Those restrictions in my opinion are not neccessary today considering how we have excellent measures for screening the blood for hepatitis and HIV. If I was in the ICU I would want your blood in a heartbeat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
clintaggie04
AG
I reread the thread but I just was hoping you would clarify for me if your actual eyes hurt or was it similar to sinus pressure around your eyes? Mine are killing me today but I am hoping it's just all the pollen.
agsalaska
AG
My dads eyes hurt. Some kind of combination of punched in the eye right after getting sprayed with mace.

And he would probably know how that feels too.

He said it lasted for about a day. Was a crazy sensation with no real way to sooth it.

Pretty sure Baller's was similar.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
BallerStaf2003
AG
clintaggie04 said:

I reread the thread but I just was hoping you would clarify for me if your actual eyes hurt or was it similar to sinus pressure around your eyes? Mine are killing me today but I am hoping it's just all the pollen.

It was like eye movement hurt really badly. The pain seemed to stem from the eyebrow area. So if I moved my eyes up, the lower part of my forehead would be throbbing.
BallerStaf2003
AG
So I don't want to alarm anyone but my partner has developed symptoms over the past few days. We don't understand how he developed symptoms so far after mine. I've been better a week and about three days ago he started developing serious chest congestion.

He is ok for the most part, just concerned but still not hospital worthy. Feels like his chest is very tight.

His symptoms are mostly respiratory, very different from mine.
Counterpoint
AG
Damn
RockwallAg99
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

So I don't want to alarm anyone but my partner has developed symptoms over the past few days. We don't understand how he developed symptoms so far after mine. I've been better a week and about three days ago he started developing serious chest congestion.

He is ok for the most part, just concerned but still not hospital worthy. Feels like his chest is very tight.

Dang. Been following your story since the beginning of this thread. Best wishes for a quick recover for your partner.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jvanbeek said:

jonj101 said:

Have the doctors mentioned anything to you about potential long term issues?

Im asking because there was a small study conducted in which a percentage of people who had recovered were found to have some lung issues, but since the study was so small I don't think they had anything concrete on it yet. If I can find the link again I'll post it.
That study was of people that had pneumonia and were very sick. Not run of the mill virus patients.

I'm no doctor, but I think anyone that is claiming any kind of permanent damage from this is talking out their ass. The virus has been around for 5 months at most in a country that is known to lie about everything.

After years of smoking for example, if you quit your lungs will have near full functionality after 9 months, based off some studies I've seen. I wouldn't trust any data until at least next November on that kind of thing.

Also, I'm assuming that study came from China, where 65% of men smoke anyways. What percentage of the patients are smokers?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317956

Quote:

After 1 month

In as little as 1 month, a person's lung function begins to improve. As the lungs heal and lung capacity improves, former smokers may notice less coughing and shortness of breath. Athletic endurance increases and former smokers may notice a renewed ability for cardiovascular activities, such as running and jumping.

After 1-3 months

For the next several months after quitting, circulation continues to improve.

After 9 months

Nine months after quitting, the lungs have significantly healed themselves. The delicate, hair-like structures inside the lungs known as cilia have recovered from the toll cigarette smoke took on them. These structures help push mucus out of the lungs and help fight infections.

Around this time, many former smokers notice a decrease in the frequency of lung infections because the healed cilia can do their job more easily.

After 1 year

breaking a cigarette in half
Share on Pinterest
The risk of heart disease will decrease by half after quitting smoking for 1 year, and arteries and blood vessels will begin to widen after 5 years.
One year after quitting smoking, a person's risk for coronary heart disease decreases by half. This risk will continue to drop past the 1-year mark.

After 5 years

Cigarettes contain many known toxins that cause the arteries and blood vessels to narrow. These same toxins also increase the likelihood of developing blood clots.

After 5 years without smoking, the body has healed itself enough for the arteries and blood vessels to begin to widen again. This widening means the blood is less likely to clot, lowering the risk of stroke.

The risk of stroke will continue to reduce over the next 10 years as the body heals more and more.

After 10 years

After 10 years, a person's chances of developing lung cancer and dying from it are roughly cut in half compared with someone who continues to smoke. The likelihood of developing mouth, throat, or pancreatic cancer has significantly reduced.

After 15 years

After 15 years of having quit smoking, the likelihood of developing coronary heart disease is the equivalent of a non-smoker. Similarly, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to the same level as a non-smoker.

After 20 years

After 20 years, the risk of death from smoking-related causes, including both lung disease and cancer, drops to the level of a person who has never smoked in their life. Also, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to that of someone who has never smoked
ham98
BallerStaf2003 said:

If you and your partner have compatible blood types would they let you donate your plasma directly?
BallerStaf2003
AG
No. Gay men cannot donate blood or blood products.

Although I think he's quite a ways from needing anything like that.
Harrison Wells
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

This sucks to hear. T&P, Baller.
ham98
BallerStaf2003 said:

No. Gay men cannot donate blood or blood products.

Although I think he's quite a ways from needing anything like that.
That sucks and should be changed and I think a partner to partner donation would have some type of exemption in extenuating circumstances.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.