Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,598 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Idk3
AG

SpiderDude
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

Balvenie Caribbean is really tasty, big fan. Not scotch, but I enjoyed Tullamore Dew's XO irish whiskey finished in Rum casks. Whiskey Vault just did a youtube episode on Glenlivet's Caribbean Reserve, so might be worth checking out to hear their tasting notes.

I love my Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve. In some ways it's better than the Balvenie Caribbean... especially considering the price point.
Idk3
AG
Something new
Scotts Tot
AG
Looking for recs on a good bang for buck sherried scotch. Still haven't tried the A'Bunadh despite the major following, but I'm hesitant to drop $100 on something I'm not sure I'll like. I've covered more ground with the Islay whiskies, and love the peat, but I enjoyed Macallan 12 Sherry Cask and looking to branch out. Considering picking up a GlenDronach12, Dalmore 12, or Aberlour 12.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
John Francis Donaghy
GlenDronach 12. Hands down.
drred4
If you like Glendronach 12, I do not see how you would not like A' bunadh, just note its alcohol content is around 61.
mazag08
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Looking for recs on a good bang for buck sherried scotch. Still haven't tried the A'Bunadh despite the major following, but I'm hesitant to drop $100 on something I'm not sure I'll like. I've covered more ground with the Islay whiskies, and love the peat, but I enjoyed Macallan 12 Sherry Cask and looking to branch out. Considering picking up a GlenDronach12, Dalmore 12, or Aberlour 12.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Drop the $100 and don't look back. If you don't like it, then you don't actually like sherried scotch. It's a confident buy.. trust me.

But if you're unsure, Dalmore 12 or Glendronach 12 are almost.. almost.. as good. The difference is the Aberlour is closer to cask strength.
jh0400
AG
Balvenie 15 is my go to sherried scotch. I've also enjoyed some of the Edradour picks that Spec's carries.

ETA: I love cask strength spirits but don't care for A'bunadh.
Cromagnum
AG
Get some Glenfarclas 21 if you like sherry and can foot a little more than $100 sometime. That stuff is straight candy
Cyprian
AG
I tried my first Compass Box (Hedonism) last night, that was excellent. I found it smooth with lots of complex flavors, right up my wheelhouse.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
AgInSingapore
AG
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie A Tale Of Cake today, will open Sunday evening. It's finished in Hungarian Tokaji casks, hope it's a good one and not a flop.
mazag08
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie A Tale Of Cake today, will open Sunday evening. It's finished in Hungarian Tokaji casks, hope it's a good one and not a flop.

Please give a detailed review. I'm thinking of grabbing this tomorrow.
HTownAg98
I've got an Aberlour 16 and it is quite tasty.
AgInSingapore
AG
Unfortunately haven't had a chance to try it yet, will get into it this evening.
AgInSingapore
AG
So that Glenmorangie Cake is interesting, following are my notes from last night and this morning.

On the nose for me (everyone is different so the following may not be your experience) it is pineapple, fresh baked vanilla cake (no icing, just the cake), sugar that has been melted in a pan on the stove but not yet caramelized (just a hint of sweetness), and so much pear. I had to pour another dram in my Glencairn glass this morning (yes I am sitting here nosing the stuff at 0950) just to reaffirm the pear notes and holy crap it is right there, so much pear! A hint of malt, but only just. I only get the alcohol if I burry my nose in the glass, and at 46% I thought is would be more in my face. I give it a swirl and detect some honey, like the stuff at a farmer's market in a Mason jar with the homemade label. Only the faintest hint of wood, which is nice because on a finished whisky I hate for the wood to steal the show. Did I mention pear? The angels must have mentioned their share and God must have snuck in an juiced a pear into the cask. There is a warm bread in the oven note as well but only just a hint (I asked my better half to nose and tell me what she smelled because I couldn't place it and when she said warm sourdough it made sense). The initial pineapple is fading, giving way to, you guessed it, more pear. Possibly some cocoa hints, but at the time of this rambling I am not sure... like a chocolate drizzled pretzel?

The palate is Glenmorangie Original, but a touch more oily. Smooth, gentle, light. Gives a nice tingle with the ABV but not in a bad way. Clean oak, a hint of sweet honey and a biscuit (the southern kind, not a dang cookie that the Brits call a biscuit). After the nose I feel I am missing everything. Where did the rest of it go... I will have to try again to see if what I nosed shows up on the palate.

Edited for spelling, I shouldn't do a second tasting in the morning!
mazag08
AG
Sounds amazing.
AgInSingapore
AG
If it is still on the shelf in a few weeks I will pick up a couple more bottles. If sold out, glad I at least got this bottle (I've managed to drop way too much money at Total Wine this week). The packaging is stellar, great job by their marketing team.
AgInSingapore
AG
Anyone get in on the Total Wine offer of the Diageo 2020 Special Releases of The Singleton 17 year old and Cardhu 11 year old? They were only offering these in Texas as per the email I got and had 24 bottles of Singleton and 96 bottles of Cardhu, both bottled at cask strength. I grabbed one of each, appears they will arrive during the winter as it was a pre-order.

Still waiting on my pre-order of Glenmorangie 12 year old finished in Malaga casks as well.
Cyprian
AG
I picked up a bottle of that Cake, Total Wine Willowbrook. Looking forward to this evening.

-------------
djmeen95
AG
Changed jobs and my old team sent me this - nice!

AgInSingapore
AG
You're clearly well thought of.
Idk3
AG
Picked up a bottle of Cake. Can't wait to open it up.
Diggity
AG
Good thing you had clothes on
djmeen95
AG
Lol. Been on TexAgs long enough to know the power of reflections.
SpiderDude
AG
Bought a birthday bottle of it for myself this year.
Cyprian
AG
Delivery day

-------------
Cyprian
AG
Cyprian said:

I picked up a bottle of that Cake, Total Wine Willowbrook. Looking forward to this evening.

The previous review kicks ass, but just to add: I enjoyed this one as well.

-------------
Cromagnum
AG
Cyprian said:

Delivery day

Where did you get the Yamazaki 12? I haven't seen one in years.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

You're clearly well thought of.

Your team was fond of you I see.
Cromagnum
AG
If you are fond of the smokey stuff, especially for mixing into things like rusty nails, the Wee Beastie from Ardbeg is a good buy.
Cyprian
AG
Cromagnum said:

Cyprian said:

Delivery day

Yea, hence why I went to unorthodox methods. Online shop via the UK, The Whiskey World.

-------------
JobSecurity
AG
Found out I got a nice promotion so went on a mini splurge and picked up a Lagavulin 16 among a few others. I had only had the 8 previously but this is fantastic. Dangerously so!
Post removed:
by user
betadawg1
AG
Cromagnum said:

I picked up one today at retail if you are interested. I'm in CS but travel to Houston frequently.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.