Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,545 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
FightinAggie07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yikes... had I known that I would have opted for it rather than the Lagavulin I brought with me. Used my other bottle allowance for some Iceland schnapps as I also went there on my trip!
edwardsk2003
AG
We visited tallisker back in 2014 for our 10yr. It was fantstic. The only negative was it was raining hard....and we didn't take a single picture. :/
AndrewT488
AG
Recently fell in love with Auchentoshan Three Wood. Never thought I liked scotch, but I like this stuff!
E King Trill
AG
I'm relatively new to scotch and have probably bought 10-12 bottles or so over the last two years. My favorite to this point has to be the distillers edition of Lagavulin that I bought. It also happens to be the priciest bottle that I have bought.

What do people think of the Dalmore? I didn't see it on the spectrum that has been posted on here. Where might it fall in?
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
I'm relatively new to scotch and have probably bought 10-12 bottles or so over the last two years. My favorite to this point has to be the distillers edition of Lagavulin that I bought. It also happens to be the priciest bottle that I have bought.

What do people think of the Dalmore? I didn't see it on the spectrum that has been posted on here. Where might it fall in?

If you like the Lagavulen DE. Try the Talisker DE. Its a few dollars cheaper, and I think, the better of the two. The flavor combo of Lagavulen DE is the combinatiom of heavy peat and a sherry cask finish. Talisker DE has the same combo.

If you're looking to go lower price point than that. Try Highland Park 12. It's not going to be as smoky as a Lagavulen or a Talisker, but it is moderately peated and sherry finished, so it will have both of the flavors youre looking for, and should only be about $40.

I think Laphroig and Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte lineup have some sherry finished whiskeys in their lineups too. Might be worth looking into those as they should be similar to the Lagavulen DE as well.

Edit: doesnt look like there are any sherried Port Charlottes. But the standard Bruichladdich Port Charlotte is heavily peated and also tends to be on the sweeter side. (Bruichladdich products without the Port Charlotte label have no peat smoke at all)
E King Trill
AG
Thanks, ended up buying a Dalmore 12. Seems like a slightly smokies/spicier version of Macallan 12. I will have to try one of the ones you listed earlier.
harleyds2
AG
Friends I town Brought some 18 yr glenlivit. Nice!
Jaydoug
AG
Spent 10 days touring Scotland. Talisker 10 year my favorite.

Some photos from the trip

Scotch selection in Portree

Jaydoug
AG
Also stayed in a hotel in Lucern, Switzerland that had a cask of Glenfarclas from every production year.

drred4
Anyone have some comparables or better recomendations. Been drinking some glendronach 12 sherry cask lately. Kinda have taste for that currently. Recommendations for like taste.
Whoop04
aberlour a'bunadh
balvenie doublewood
edradour 10

In that order.

John Francis Donaghy
I'll second the a'bunadh
aggiebq03+
quote:
I'll second the a'bunadh

3rd

Not quite as good at the glendronach in my opinion, but another great alternative.
drred4
Thanks for the recs
arrow
AG
I bought another bottle of scotch this weekend (Oban 14) and figured I should finally post.

The chart on page 1 of this thread, coupled with my first sip of Macallan 12 have completely changed my drinking preferences and led me to a whisky enlightenment. Here's my path since that sip of Macallan in June.

Past Bottles:
Glenfiddich 12 (This was my starter scotch. I kept bottles of it around for about 3 years. Drank it on special occasions but it never forced me consider the rabbit hole that scotch whisky could be.)
Macallan 12 (Fantastic. Really opened my eyes.)

Current Lineup:
Highland Park 12 (I had to acquire a taste for more smoke and peat but it has really grown on me. My wife loves it. Thanks Outlander!)
Glendronach 12 (May have had too high of expectations. Very good but haven't had the "a-ha" moment like with Macallan 12. I'd like to do a side-by-side with the two.)
Oban 14 (Excellent. I like the hint of smoke and salinity. Good contrast to the sherry of Macallan 12.)

On Deck (depending on availability):
Talisker 10
Glenfarclas 10 or 12
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Balvenie 14 Caribbean
Aberlour A'bunad

Right now, I for sure wouldn't be able to pick just one for the cabinet. I'll be looking to go peatier and smokier with my next bottle. I did try a dram Lagavulin 16 back in January but clearly wasn't ready for it. I'll probably revisit after the bottle of Talisker. Others I've sampled but never really gave much thought: Glenlivet 12 and the blends Johnny Walker Red, Johnny Walker Black, and Famous Grouse.

Cheers!
djmeen95
AG
Just came across a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1509 batch 3 when going through Heathrow today at their whiskey store.

Decided - what the heck and grabbed one of the 4 bottles they had. Guys at the store said they just got those in and they'd bet they wouldn't last the full day.

So got home finally and had a taste - there's ALOT going on in this thing. Definitely a sipper at 52% alcohol - but a nice drinking scotch. Keeping this one for special friends, special nights, or Aggie wins.

FlyFish95
How much?
djmeen95
AG
quote:
How much?
270 GBP

Way outside my normal spend.
arrow
AG
I've added three new bottles since my previous post:

Talisker 10 - I really like the smoke and peat in the one. Nothing overpowering though. Very good whisky.
Glenfarclas 12 - I get interesting citrus flavors with this one. Good whisky.
Balvenie 12 DoubleWood - This one exceeded my expectations. Not as much body as Macallan 12 but similar flavor profile to me. Dangerously easy to drink, I really see why it gets recommended so often for beginners. I plan to keep DoubleWood in my cabinet as a staple. Excellent whisky.

Next up:
Redbreast 12 (Irish... I know, I know.)
Lagavulin 16 (revisit for the holidays)
Springbank 10 (want to try a Campbeltown whisky)
djmeen95
AG
Nice arrow! I've tried two of those three (the Balvenie and the Talisker) and like them both. Am also a fan of the Springbank (especially the 15).

Enjoy!
FlyFish95
Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorite bottles.
MikesFamousJava
AG
I'm still fairly new to scotch, but learning as fast as my budget allows So far, my faves are Lagavulin 16, Balvenie DoubleWood 12, and Arberlour 12 (my wife isn't a fan of the peat).
Thought I'd share my latest:
Bowmore 15 year.
It is somewhat peaty (not a peat monster but nice smokiness), finished in sherry casks. Really enjoying it, but will try to milk it as it is a bit above my usual price point (won't make it past Thanksgiving though, with company coming in).

Anyone else a fan of the Bowmore?
Old School Rucking
AG
Bowmore is an excellent distillery and one of the few who still do their own malting. Definitely not as peaty as Ardbeg or Laphroaig. If you love smoked with a sherry finish Ardbeg Uigeadail is a wonderful dram to splurge on.

Not sure if you've tried it, for the money you won't find a better or more balanced whisky than Highland Park 12.

If you wife doesn't care for peat and likes a sweater more vanilla whisky, then go with Glenmorangie. They don't make a product that isn't excellent, but the Sauternes finished Nectar D'or is outstanding.
Average Joe
AG
Added to my current stock of Glenfiddich for graduation. Gift from the mother-in-law. 14 year old Bourbon Barrel Reserve. Still have some 21yo Gran Reserva and 15yo Rich Oak. The 14yo might be my favorite. It's not as smooth as the Gran Reserva, but has more flavor.
steve00
AG
A solid Xmas gift
FlyFish95
yep
HTownAg98
Picked up another bottle of the Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban. If someone knows of another port finished scotch available in the states, please let me know
Old School Rucking
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Picked up another bottle of the Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban. If someone knows of another port finished scotch available in the states, please let me know

Balvenie 21 Port Wood is nice, but pricey.

Tyrconnell 10 Port Cast is a tasty dram if your open to an Irish whiskey.

I prefer the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban to either of these, especially for the money.

Have you tried the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or? Amazing whisky with a Sauternes finish.
djmeen95
AG
In-laws gave me a nice gift.

I really enjoy the Balvenie Doublewood - never tried the 15 finished in Sherry casks. Anyone try this before? Plan on opening this one up tonight.
FlyFish95
For a sherried pour, my best bang for the buck is Glendronach 12. I have the 15 which is pretty amazing but quite a step up in price. I'm not so sure the increase in quality is on pace with the increase price though.
rshackelford
AG
How do you like that single cask sherry balvenie 15? The bourbon matured 15 year gets rave reviews but not as much on the sherry. How do you like it
djmeen95
AG
rshackelford said:

How do you like that single cask sherry balvenie 15? The bourbon matured 15 year gets rave reviews but not as much on the sherry. How do you like it

I did like it. It was a lovely scotch. But I'll also admit being drawn into the idea of each cask release being it's own slightly different flavor profile basis the barrel it was put in - and knowing that no other cask they release will be exactly the same as this one. I just think that it's really cool.
arrow
AG
I picked up Springbank 10 for the Super Bowl weekend. I had sampled it before at Whiskey & Rye in Ft. Worth, but one dram at a bar hardly does a whisky justice.

I really like Springbank 10. To me it's a "rough-around-the-edges" brother of the more refined Oban 14 (currently my favorite whisky). In my very simplistic whisky rating system (Good, Very Good, and Fantastic) Springbank 10 gets a Fantastic.

Next Up:
Laphroaig 10
Something from the Lowlands.

Any recommendations for a Lowland? I was thinking Auchentoshan American Oak.

Cheers!
Chipotlemonger
AG
First time coming to this thread. Bought my first scotch for the home earlier this week. Previously, I had only had it while at others' places. Lagavulin 8 year for their 200 yr anniversary in 2016.
rshackelford
AG
I'll second the Glendronach 12 year. Having sampled 2-3 dozen different scotches at this point, that one stands out among any 12 year I've tasted. If you gave it to me blind, I'd never guess that it was a 12 year. Nothing negative to say about it.

I restocked the cabinet this christmas with some that I havent tried. So far on the list is

Old Pulteney 17 year
Bunnahabhain 18 year
Arran 18 year
Ardbeg 10 year
Lagavulin 16 year

I've still not tried the Old Pulteney or the Bunnahabhain, but so far I've been blown away by the Arran 18. I didnt expect to like it as much as I have, but at this point I can safely call it my favorite scotch I've tasted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.