Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

165,192 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CDub06
JR_83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't believe no one has started this thread yet.

** Spoiler alert**

Smitty's did not even make the top 50.
TXAG 05
AG
I found it interesting that Black's made the list and Smitty's didn't. Haven't been to either in a long time so maybe things have changed.

As long as City Market in Luling is there, I am happy.
Walter Kovacs
AG
whoo, tuckers in lyford didn't make it. still safe to go there.
Sweeeeeet Action
AG
Franklin at #1, not unexpectedly. It's difficult to eat there because of the line, but their brisket is by far the best I've ever had.

I figured Lockhart Smokehouse would be on the list...Daniel Vaughn seems to have a crush on that place...but the last 3 or 4 times I've gone, I've been marginally disappointed. Good flavor, but the brisket and ribs were both dry and tough.

[This message has been edited by Sweeeeeet Action (edited 5/16/2013 1:17p).]
07ag
AG
maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202265745713918199847.0004dcc5171808b779a7e&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=30.694612%2C-98.745117&spn=6.610625%2C14.0625&z=6&source=embed

[This message has been edited by 07ag (edited 5/16/2013 2:12p).]
farmer2010
AG
Glad to see Fargo's on the list. Much deserved, IMHO.
CDub06
AG
Can't wait to get out of this meeting. Yesterday's release was like my Christmas.
CDub06
AG
It's funny because I have a clear top 4 that are the BEST of the BEST. Texas Monthly ranked the same way.

My Top 4 is Franklin, Snow's, Louie Mueller, Kreuz. I knew they would differ with me on #4.

They have Franklin, Snow's Louie Mueller, Pecan Lodge. I like Pecan Lodge, it's dang good. I have it about #7 because I don't think it's in the upper echelon.

The only one I don't quite get is Bob's in Henderson. Their brisket was pretty good, their ribs were bad. The ordering experience was one of the most frustrating things I've experienced. I rated them a C+ on my visit. Maybe it was just a bad day.

I'm thrilled with the inclusion Pody's (Pecos) and Corkscrew (Spring). Corkscrew is easily the best in this area and they deserve the accolades. I've been trying to get the word out myself. I'm sure this will do plenty to keep those lines long...

I discovered Pody's within the last year and subsequently met the owner/pitmaster. The dude knows what he is doing and does it well. He's only been open for about a year & a half and has already made the top 50. I'm thrilled for him.

This list has several that I'm not familiar with. My ever growing BBQ Map has some new "to visit" places. I'm excited to try them out.
Quinn
AG
I thought that Fargo's might make the Top 4 bc of BBQ Snob's love of it. I'm actually kind of glad that it didn't so that it won't have crazy lines when I finally make my way back to CS to get some Fargo's again.
AgFB
AG
Anyone had Longoria's in Everman?
ChampsAg
Went to Fargo's today and it was the most packed that I have seen it.

All the C&J and Rudy's regulars need to stay away from what I consider one of B/CS best kept secrets!
ILikeTacos
AG
Since I saw this list, and saw Hutchin's was right up the rode yesterday, I took my little girl to try it. Must say it did not disappoint in the least. Good place to eat up here north of the Metroplex. Poor lighting and an Iphone equal crappy pics bet here they are:

AgFB
AG
Looks like she enjoyed it!
Van Buren Boy
AG
At millers in belton right now.
JR_83
How was Miller's?

I remember that Schoepf's in Belton made the previous list, but I was not impressed in the least.
chipotle
Had stiles this evening. Maybe it was just a bad batch but the brisket, sausage and pork ribs were all terrible. Cole slaw was blah and the Mac n cheese was meh. Semi long line got my hopes up.

I'm willing to give it a shot again since the chopped beef sandwiches looked amazing as well as the beef ribs.
Belton Ag
AG
Miller's in Belton is awesome. I left Belton last year and moved back to BCS, but I know that the Millers where in the process of buying an old home and moving the restaurant over there. Have they moved yet?

Scheopf's BBQ used to be my favorite place around. Recently the quality has gone down and pricing has gone up. Folks I know think it has to do with the son of the priginal owner taking over. A few years ago, though, I would put Schoepf's up against just about anybody in the state. It was outstanding food.
OneProudAg
AG
I was in Aransas Pass when I saw this list. I was shocked to see Hatfields (in Rockport). It was pretty darn good. Only got the brisket and sausage. Brisket was cooked perfectly! The only down side I could see is they don't have there own sauce (even though it shouldn't need sauce) they just use sweet baby rays.

I stopped by cork screw on Thursday around 3 and they were sold out. Gonna try and get by there this week.
CDub06
AG
Corkscrew is usually out by 3. They post on their Twitter when they're sold out for the day. Definitely try to get down there at lunchtime.
jaypunkrawk
AG
Haha! Just passed Hutchins passing through McKinney and exclaimed to my wife, "BBQ and catfish!!!" I had no idea it was on this list. Now we must venture back sometime to try it. Even the kid likes it!
aggiebear69
AG
Went to Fargo's on Friday......brisket was outstanding as always...my wife is not a huge BBQ fan but she will not pass up a hand chopped brisket sandwich at Fargo's... Me.... 1/2 pound slice, pickles and onions You can keep Austin
Señor Chang
AG
I think The Granary in San Antonio is pretty new. I'll have to check it out. I looked at their menu online. For dinner they have a bunch of weird, modern stuff that doesn't really interest me, but their lunch menu is the more traditional barbecue stuff.
army01
AG
quote:
Haha! Just passed Hutchins passing through McKinney and exclaimed to my wife, "BBQ and catfish!!!" I had no idea it was on this list. Now we must venture back sometime to try it. Even the kid likes it!

I've only been there once, but thought it was on par with spring creek. Not impressed
agswin2001
AG
Anyone have the Top 50 in numerical order. All I found were the top 5 in order....

TIA
CDub06
AG
They didnt rank them. They just did #1. And top 4.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Wife and I just moved away from the McKinney area, and went to Hutchin's several times. It was good not great BBQ. It satisfied our craving for Brisket/Sausage/etc. but I don't think I would put it in the 50 best in TX.
petey88
Started going to Miller's in the last few months, it is very good. They are still near downtown next to the newspaper.

Although Miller's was suggested awhile back, I didn't go until I had pretty much given up on Schoepf's. Prices went up and quality went down.
jaypunkrawk
AG
Spring Creek?! Man... That's only decent BBQ, not top 50 in the state.
CDub06
AG
I think that was his point. Using spring creek as a benchmark for poor bbq
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I agree with the previous assessments of Hutchins in McKinney... Decent but probably not worthy of Top 50. Actually like 5 miles down 380 to the east, there is a barbecue trailer that has better stuff.

Kind of surprised that Big Daddy's in Lavon/Wylie didn't make it. I haven't been but have heard from several that it is excellent.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
mbole11
posted 3:31p, 05/23/13

I agree with the previous assessments of Hutchins in McKinney... Decent but probably not worthy of Top 50. Actually like 5 miles down 380 to the east, there is a barbecue trailer that has better stuff.

Kind of surprised that Big Daddy's in Lavon/Wylie didn't make it. I haven't been but have heard from several that it is excellent.

See I have been to Big Daddy's and it is nothing to be impressed by IMO.
dsvogel05
AG
I had Stiles Switch last night and I thought it was deserving of a top 50 spot. I had moist brisket, pork ribs and sausage. They were all pretty damn good. The beef ribs looked amazing.
culdeus
AG
This list had Vaughn's imprint all over it. It was basically a who's-who of his blog.
CDub06
AG
Well duh, he's the BBQ Editor. There was the surprising omission of Vera's though.
culdeus
AG
They supposedly take inputs from over 300 people and over 100 visits per person over a 4 year period.

The DFW ones are pure Vaughn. They put Meh-shacks in there for some unknown reason. That's all him.

2008 they actually had Bakers ****ing Ribs on the list so take this list for what it's worth.

I'm shocked he couldn't armtwist Angelos in there as he seems the last one on the planet to regard that place as edible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.