Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,027 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
army01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I think that was his point. Using spring creek as a benchmark for poor bbq

Ezzackly.

quote:
They supposedly take inputs from over 300 people and over 100 visits per person over a 4 year period.

The DFW ones are pure Vaughn. They put Meh-shacks in there for some unknown reason. That's all him.

2008 they actually had Bakers ****ing Ribs on the list so take this list for what it's worth.

I'm shocked he couldn't armtwist Angelos in there as he seems the last one on the planet to regard that place as edible.

Nothing wrong with Meshack. Their ribs are solid, or at least we're the last few times I had them. Angelo's, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Brisket is decent, but the ribs are mush with no flavor and the sausage comes from Albertsons.
army01
AG
Hit up Longoria's yesterday and brought it home....if you want great white bread with a decent sauce, or if you are looking for a solid pot roast, I recommend this place. While it looks pretty good, their barbecue leaves a lot to be desired.

BCR
Kruez is the worse BBQ I have ever eaten. It was disgusting. I cannot believe there was a line of people waiting to get in. What a wasted opportunity.
austinag1997
AG
I agree with Kreuz's. Not very good at all in my opinion.

Stiles Switch is some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Not sure I understand those that didn't enjoy it. It has been consistently great for me.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Kruez is the worse BBQ I have ever eaten. It was disgusting. I cannot believe there was a line of people waiting to get in. What a wasted opportunity.

no s**t, dude

it boggles my mind that people think their sausage is good, and the shoulder clod tastes like dry roast beef
army01
AG
I thought Kruez was pretty good. Thought Smitty's sucked.
Sweeeeeet Action
AG
I bypass both Kreuz and Smitty's when in Lockhart and head to Blacks.
raidernarizona
Gave Stanley's in Tyler a try this week. There's a long list of places I still need to try, but this is now on my short list. Prefer a spare rib over baby back, but the ribs were still great and the brisket was outstanding! Love that thick salty, peppery crust!
FbgTxAg
AG
Pretty much every Texas Monthly "Best" restaurant list is complete crap. I swear they take money under the table to put many of the places on the list, while they mix in a few legitimate ones.
BMX Bandit
Franklins is crap?
Louie Mueller?

Are you high?

Have you been to half of these places?

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 5/31/2013 5:03p).]
raidernarizona
Not to get off track here, but I know that burger at The Grape was bad ass. These lists are a good place to start
FbgTxAg
AG
I said the LISTS are generally crap.
BMX Bandit
Which on the list are unworthy?

Who would you replace it with?
FbgTxAg
AG
Bandit I haven't even looked at this particular list. I stopped looking at Texas Monthly "best" lists several years ago. My comment is directed towards Texas Monthly and their lists in general - not necessarily this one in particular.

But reading through the thread, it appears that several posters take issue with some of the places on the list.....which prompted my statement about Texas Monthly and their "best" lists.

I don't even eat bar-b-que very often. But bar-b-que itself is so subjective, that it seems a futile endeavor to rank them in the first place. I'm guessing it helps to sell an otherwise unreadable rag....
BMX Bandit
My bad, I thought you knew what you were talking about. Thanks for clearing it up
petey88

the last time I actually tried to read a printed Texas Monthly, it was laying on the waiting room table at a doctors office.

It was so ad based driven, decent quality photography, loaded with page after page of places to spend money. I found the stories and editorials to be almost meaningless.

sad,... it is to put the name of Texas on the cover
BurnetAggie99
The pitmaster at Stiles Lance Kirkpatrick was the pitmaster at Louie Mueller for a long time.
ftworthag02
AG
wife and I drove over to Dallas this morning to try out Pecan Lodge for the first time. Its in shed 2 of Dallas farmers market. We got in line at 10 and there were probably 50 in front of us. They open at 11. We ordered at 11:45. I'm definitely not a tx bbq connoisseur. I grew up on Angelos & Railhead. We got a huge beef rib, 1/2 lb of sliced fatty, one pork sausage, one jalapeno cheese sausage, mac & cheese w/ green chiles topped w/ bacon, fried okra, and banana pudding. No, we didn't finish it all. It was amazing and everything was moist.

Next on my list is Franklins

btw, not a huge fan of Longorias
Sweeeeeet Action
AG
quote:
My bad, I thought you knew what you were talking about. Thanks for clearing it up

+1
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Pretty much every Texas Monthly "Best" restaurant list is complete crap. I swear they take money under the table to put many of the places on the list, while they mix in a few legitimate ones.

I understand the skepticism of any media source, but trust your experience versus what is in print. I have, and I believe there is a lot of truth to their opinion.
army01
AG
quote:
I understand the skepticism of any media source, but trust your experience versus what is in print. I have, and I believe there is a lot of truth to their opinion.

+1 this

I've been to 3 of the top 4, and wholeheartedly agree with them. The remainder are up for debate.

Plenty of folks love City Market, but I thought it was extremely over rated. But I probably had it on a bad day (and missed the brisket). I'm also against saucing ribs, but a lot of folks like it that way.
OregonAggie
AG
Anybody try Whup's Boomerang BBQ in Marlin? Stopped there Friday for lunch and their brisket was awesome.

I can't believe that I had driven past Marlin for a decade and never stopped there.
sixiron
AG
Has anyone been to Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville? I saw it mentioned in the top 50 and it will be on my way as I go to Austin this weekend...and I might need a place to stop depending on what time of day it is.
12thAngryMan
AG
I tried Zimmerhanzel's last summer. The employees were very friendly, but IMO the food wasn't top tier BBQ. Granted, we stopped by near the end of the day, so it might be better if you catch them for lunch. I also remember the sausage being different (texture and flavor) than what you typically get.
MarylandAG
My dad grew up in the San Marcos area, so when we go visit family we always used to go to Kruez, back when it was at the Smitty's location. We passed through Lockhart this weekend, it was about 8:10 pm so Smitty's was closed and Kruez had just closed and dad needed his BBQ fix so we went to Blacks.....I have to say the brisket at Blacks is superior to that at Kruez, more moist and more flavorful, and this was near the time they close. The sausage was damn good too, I don't think as good as Kruez or Smittys (which to me are identical) or as good City Market in Luling, but still it was pretty good. I hadn't stepped in Blacks in about 20 yrs prior to this weekend, I will go again. I guess I'll have to go try the Chisolm Trail BBQ now, I hear it's good. I haven't tried Fargo's, Snow's or Franklin, but I live in Cypress, TX so I guess I'll have to go try those soon, not a bad drive to any of them.
Tanya 93
I don't eat beef or pork, and I have heard it all before about what I am "missing", but do any of these places have outstanding turkey, chicken, or quail?
BurnetAggie99
Franklins, Louie Mueller, LA BBQ, and Stiles have great Turkey.
Martin Cash
AG
Chisholm Trail and Black's in Lockhart both have yard bird. No turkey.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Has anyone been to Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville? I saw it mentioned in the top 50 and it will be on my way as I go to Austin this weekend...and I might need a place to stop depending on what time of day it is.

it's good but nothing special

I prefer either of the Elgin joints or Billy's in Bastrop
Slicer97
AG
not BBQ, but if you want quail, Tanya, across the highway from Meyer's in Elgin, there's a little texmex place called Morelia's that has really good quail

Meyer's has a pretty good smoked turkey
army01
AG
quote:
I don't eat beef or pork

Why?
chipotle
I know some folks who can't eat pork, beef and fish because of allergies. Crazy.
army01
AG
Throw peanut butter in there, and you might as well end it all.
MarylandAG
Blacks has turkey, they had it this weekend when I went and it's on their website menu. As to how it tastes I don't know didn't try it but they definitely have it.
JR_83
<Bump>

Mike Leggett, the outdoors writer for the Statesman had an interesting article regarding Louie Mueller's in today's paper:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/publicity-for-quality-barbecue-hard-on-loyal-local/nYFjf/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.