Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,021 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hadn't eaten at Franklin in several years before last Fall, mainly because I wanted to try as many different places as possible, but it blew my mind that day. I need to go back to Louie Mueller's again to confirm my opinion hasn't changed, but I don't see anyone justifiably taking the top spot from Aaron.
agcrock2005
AG
OregonAggie said:

Also curious which ones in Dallas/Ft Worth make it.
I bet Pecan Lodge drops. I think That place is one of the most over rated I've been to. Bartley's is ***** It should be gone. I bet Meat U Anywhere is in top 25 and I wouldn't be surprised if Cattleack is in top 10, or even 5. It's tied with Snows at #2 for me. I think Hutchin's should be in top 50 too.
OregonAggie
AG
Hutchins should definitely keep a spot. Have you been to the Frisco location? I actually think they put out better BBQ in Frisco than the original spot in McKinney.

I definitely agree with you on Meat You Anywhere. Not the best I've had but it's really good.

Dang it I need to hit up Cattleack!!
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Anyone else been to Bigcat BBQ in Cedar Park? That place is legit.
CDub06
AG
I imagine we could come up with the True Top 50 List
Mr_mo8268
AG
I think Ten50 in Richardson is incredible. I haven talk been to Cattleack though.
army01
AG
Heim will be in the mix somewhere. Cattleack has my attention. Need to get over there soon.
ILikeTacos
AG
Mr_mo8268 said:

I think Ten50 in Richardson is incredible. I haven talk been to Cattleack though.

Ten50 is good, but it isn't up to Cattleack.
agcrock2005
AG
army01 said:

Heim will be in the mix somewhere. Cattleack has my attention. Need to get over there soon.

I hated Heim. I need to go again. It was actually more over rated than PL. I must have gone on a crappy day.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Heim was pretty good but Ten50 is much better.
CDub06
AG
I did a feature on both.

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2015/06/heim-barbecue-fort-worth.html

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2015/03/ten-50-bbq-richardson.html

Heim is one of my favorites in the state. I'm happy they have found such quick success.
agcrock2005
AG
Mr_mo8268 said:

I've heard mixed reviews on Ten50. I need to give it a try.
Quinn
AG
CDub06 said:

I did a feature on both.

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2015/06/heim-barbecue-fort-worth.html

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2015/03/ten-50-bbq-richardson.html

Heim is one of my favorites in the state. I'm happy they have found such quick success.
Are you worried about the quality of Heim decreasing as they open a second location this year? I thought Heim was very good the one time I tried it.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Are you worried about the quality of Heim decreasing as they open a second location this year?
A second one? Wow. I didn't like it because it was a cluster **** because the demand far outweighed their ability to supply food so by the time we got food it was cold and dried out. They must have gotten much better with the brick & mortar. I'm going to have to give it a try soon.

What's the line like weekdays/weekends? Thanks.
Quinn
AG
I went on a Friday for lunch and it was busy, but the line was about 5 people deep. It did take a little bit (10 min?) to get our food after we ordered.
agcrock2005
AG
Quinn said:

I went on a Friday for lunch and it was busy, but the line was about 5 people deep. It did take a little bit (10 min?) to get our food after we ordered.
Thanks.

Interesting location for second store
Mr_mo8268
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Mr_mo8268 said:

I've heard mixed reviews on Ten50. I need to give it a try.
When it's on point it's nothing short of great. Moist brisket and burnt ends are second to none.
The Pilot
AG
I've had ten50 multiple times and didn't think it was anything special. I don't think it's on a Pecan Lodge or Franklin's level.
CDub06
AG
Yeah, it's a bold move. It reminds me of Meat U Anywhere's expansion. I just googled to see when that would be opening and apparently they're now looking at a different location down the road.
http://www.dfw.com/2017/03/22/1183621/heim-barbecue-changes-plans-for.html

Making the jump to brick & mortar is hard. But the hardest thing in bbq is keeping consistency at multiple locations. We'll see...
AggieStout
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

Anyone else been to Bigcat BBQ in Cedar Park? That place is legit.
Been wanting to go to it but the day I planned was a Monday and i think they were closed that day.
Mr_mo8268
AG
The Pilot said:

I've had ten50 multiple times and didn't think it was anything special. I don't think it's on a Pecan Lodge or Franklin's level.
Man, talk about taste & preferences. To each his own.
Quinn
AG
Who's on Texas Monthly list of Top 50 barbecue joints?

Prediction on the Top 10 from Culture Map Houston

Quote:

Since CultureMap writers have never been afraid to be spectacularly wrong in their predictions, here's my shot at the new top 10:
1. Franklin Barbecue
2. Truth BBQ
3. Killen's Barbecue
4. Louie Mueller Barbecue
5. Heim BBQ
6. Snow's BBQ
7. CorkScrew BBQ
8. Micklethwait Craft Meats
9. Pecan Lodge Barbecue
10. Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue
agfan2013
AG
Truth was really good but I don't know if I'd put it in the top 5 and ahead of Louie Mueller's and Snows....

Have heard really good stuff about Killen's and corckscrew so I can see those.

Wouldn't put mickelthwaits in the top 50 based on my experience and others, much less top 10.
Wicked Good Ag
I am curious to see where Truth ranks in the next month. We found this place a while back and lines have been getting longer and longer each time we go. I can see a top five ranking causing us to make it not worth our while when it comes to kids in tow. Now a lunch date on a Thursday/Friday with the wife may work
CDub06
AG
Truth stayed under the radar for a while. They didn't really "Blow Up" like a lot of top places do. It seems like it's been a little bit more of a sustained slow growth. I expect them to be top 10. It's about to get nuts.
Quinn
AG

Should we go ahead and start the new thread??
agcrock2005
AG
That's a crazy looking hot pink smoke ring...I don't know how to make one like that. More practice I guess.
army01
AG
Big Red.
Wicked Good Ag
Went to Truth today before the lines blow up for next couple for months. Great as usual and got the collered greens for the first time. Love the sides they have although I personally am not huge potato salad person. Great huge piece of lemon pound cake to finish off meal. Talked to people in line who said they know the line will double likely starting next week

Top five was consensus of people in line that were part of discussion, top ten for sure and included a Snow BBQ worker

Looking forward to Monday. Friend went to corkscrew Saturday and said line was crazy
Greeze06
AG
Are you talking about the cartoon image?
JYDog90
AG
Look for Snow's to reclaim the belt.
Bigballin
AG
Snow's will be #1 tomorrow.
agcrock2005
AG
willie wonka said:

Look for Snow's to reclaim the belt.

Ha. I love snows but that ain't happening!
byfLuger41
AG
OregonAggie
AG
Quinn said:

Who's on Texas Monthly list of Top 50 barbecue joints?

Prediction on the Top 10 from Culture Map Houston

Quote:

Since CultureMap writers have never been afraid to be spectacularly wrong in their predictions, here's my shot at the new top 10:
1. Franklin Barbecue
2. Truth BBQ
3. Killen's Barbecue
4. Louie Mueller Barbecue
5. Heim BBQ
6. Snow's BBQ
7. CorkScrew BBQ
8. Micklethwait Craft Meats
9. Pecan Lodge Barbecue
10. Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue

Glad to see Evie Mae's near Lubbock got some love on a list. That place is in my personal Top 5.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.